PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin aims to lead the Steelers to the promised land

BlackAndGold
07-28-2017, 06:58 AM
NEWPORT NEWS, Virginia — One of the coolest head coaches in the NFL showed up looking the part earlier this month at the Hampton Roads All-Star Football Camp, rockin’ camouflage shorts, a white T-shirt, a white baseball cap and unlaced black Air Jordans. Then, Mike Tomlin (https://theundefeated.com/tag/mike-tomlin/) of the Pittsburgh Steelers put in work.

After he dapped up campers, who eagerly greeted the hometown superstar, there were drills for him to oversee. Tomlin encouraged players to push harder. He corrected their technique. Later, he exhorted the group to maximize opportunities.

Tomlin spent the day leading. It’s what he does best.

“You always want people, especially young people, to look at how you handle your business and see that you’re doing things the right way,” Tomlin said while footballs whizzed past on the field at Christopher Newport University.

“And you can always use any situation as a teaching situation. Hopefully, you show them the right way one time, they’ll know what to do the next time.”

Although it seems like yesterday that Tomlin, then only 36, became the youngest coach to lead a team to a Super Bowl championship (Pittsburgh won the 2008-09 title), he has grown into one of the best in his business regardless of experience. The league’s third-longest-tenured sideline boss — only Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots and Marvin Lewis of the Cincinnati Bengals have been on the job longer — Tomlin enters his 11th season in Pittsburgh with a .644 winning percentage in the regular season.

Continue reading here: https://theundefeated.com/features/nfl-mike-tomlin-steelers-2017-2018-promised-land/

tube517
07-28-2017, 12:06 PM
I missed this local appearance. Thanks for posting.

43Hitman
07-29-2017, 03:03 AM
I missed this local appearance. Thanks for posting.You live in Newport News? I'm down there all the time.

tube517
07-29-2017, 04:55 AM
You live in Newport News? I'm down there all the time.

Va Beach. I keep missing Tomlin's yearly events. Timing is never right. Where are you 43hitman?

43Hitman
07-29-2017, 11:40 AM
Va Beach. I keep missing Tomlin's yearly events. Timing is never right. Where are you 43hitman?Just north of Richmond, in Hanover county.

tube517
07-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Just north of Richmond, in Hanover county.

:thumbsup:

I had a Steelheadz t-shirt. They were/are a Richmond based Steelers group. I wonder if they are still around...

steelerdude15
07-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Va Beach. I keep missing Tomlin's yearly events. Timing is never right. Where are you 43hitman?

I'm not the far from you. I'm in Salisbury, just a couple of hours north of you. I really like Virginia Beach and Norfolk.

Born2Steel
07-29-2017, 08:36 PM
I aim to watch him do it as well.