PDA

View Full Version : Bryant is still in the process of being fully reinstated

Pages : [1] 2

AtlantaDan
07-27-2017, 03:02 PM
WTF?

Either the league office or Bryant (my guess is Bryant and/or his agent) did not get something done that should be done by now

Statement from Kevin Colbert

“Upon his conditional reinstatement in April, Martavis Bryant was made aware it was only the beginning of a process toward a return to being a full contributing member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have been informed by the NFL that Martavis is still in the process of being fully reinstated.

“Until that time, Martavis will be permitted to take part in off-the-field team activities at training camp, but he will not be permitted to practice or play in any games.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Colbert-Statement-on-Bryant/4b9770b1-5b15-4f1b-812f-d0aceccd06f0

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 03:03 PM
another drama!

I am sick and tired.

steelerdude15
07-27-2017, 03:03 PM
I just saw this too. I thought he at least would have been able to practice by now.

BlackAndGold
07-27-2017, 03:10 PM
This should have been done with already, NFL needs to stop being shitheads.

tube517
07-27-2017, 03:11 PM

AtlantaDan
07-27-2017, 03:13 PM
This should have been done with already, NFL needs to stop being shitheads.

As Alex Kozora tweeted, I bet this is on Bryant and his agent not getting a drug rehab/counseling plan filed and approved

This was the statement when Bryant was reinstated conditionally in April

Bryant will be allowed to work out at the team facilities and partake in team activities for the time being. He will be re-evaluated before the start of the regular season before being allowed to play. He is not yet allowed to practice or play in preseason games, but will be able to do so after “arrangements have been confirmed regarding Bryant’s clinical resources in Pittsburgh.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/25/steelers-martavis-bryant-conditionally-reinstated-nfl

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 03:14 PM
When the last time the steelers had no drama in their team?

It's ridiculous.

steelerdude15
07-27-2017, 03:18 PM
When the last time the steelers had no drama in their team?

It's ridiculous.

I really don't think this is that big of a deal to be completely honest.

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 03:22 PM

I hope this is not a big deal for Bryant...But anyway, I talk in general for the steelers, not only from this case

So many suspension,controversy and etc in recent years for the Steelers ...

steelerdude15
07-27-2017, 03:24 PM
I hope this is not a big deal for Bryant...But anyway, I talk in general for the steelers, not only from this case

So many suspension,controversy and etc in recent years for the Steelers ...

Yeah, but its like that for a lot of teams now.

BlackAndGold
07-27-2017, 03:25 PM
As Alex Kozora tweeted, I bet this is on Bryant and his agent not getting a drug rehab/counseling plan filed and approved

Smh, does his agent smoke?

DesertSteel
07-27-2017, 03:28 PM
Yeah I wish people would stop enabling this kid. He put himself in the situation and seems to be following the Josh Gordon plan.

steelreserve
07-27-2017, 03:32 PM
Yeah, but its like that for a lot of teams now.

Welcome to the politically correct NFL. Where we try to present a squeaky-clean image by creating a three-ring circus around every drug case and criminal case involving a player. I mean, that'll make them all stop doing it, right? Because otherwise they'd just be publicizing the fact that a lot of players are dirtbags? Nah, everyone will DEFINITELY just stop doing it, nothing to worry about, it's a perfect plan Mr. Commissioner sir.

tube517
07-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Yeah, I think you're right.

This is a "conditional" reinstatement. He cannot be fully reinstated until Week 1. He has to comply and show the NFL his progress.

Bryant can participate in team meetings and offseason workouts effective immediately. He will be allowed to participate in training camp practices and preseason games provided that he demonstrates before camp that he has made arrangements to continue drug treatment in Pittsburgh.

Before the regular season the NFL will review his progress, and if he has complied with drug treatment he will be fully reinstated for Week One.

So, he can have all the time for his Man to Man "Talk" w/Ben. :hockeyfight: :heh:

AtlantaDan
07-27-2017, 04:12 PM
This is a "conditional" reinstatement. He cannot be fully reinstated until Week 1. He has to comply and show the NFL his progress.

Cannot imagine why the NFL did not find this to be sufficient progress:rolleyes:

Martavis Bryant uses poison frogs to help with recovery

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/20/martavis-bryant-uses-poison-frogs-to-help-with-recovery/

Hawkman
07-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Cannot imagine why the NFL did not find this to be sufficient progress:rolleyes:

Martavis Bryant uses poison frogs to help with recovery

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/20/martavis-bryant-uses-poison-frogs-to-help-with-recovery/
Isn't that a banned substance?:chuckle:

Craic
07-27-2017, 08:38 PM
WTF?

Either the league office or Bryant (my guess is Bryant and/or his agent) did not get something done that should be done by now

Statement from Kevin Colbert

“Upon his conditional reinstatement in April, Martavis Bryant was made aware it was only the beginning of a process toward a return to being a full contributing member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have been informed by the NFL that Martavis is still in the process of being fully reinstated.

“Until that time, Martavis will be permitted to take part in off-the-field team activities at training camp, but he will not be permitted to practice or play in any games.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Colbert-Statement-on-Bryant/4b9770b1-5b15-4f1b-812f-d0aceccd06f0

I have to admit, this is the first time in quite a while that I'm looking at something the league is doing and can say, "Yeah, I'm totally behind that." There's plenty of things I argue around here concerning seeing things from the league's point of view, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. This, on the other hand, seems to be dead on. It shows a concern not just for "showing the best face" but actually caring enough for the player to follow through with continued help. Now, the question has to be asked, why doesn't the league push in the next CBA to get this in the second or third instance before someone is suspended for a year?

Of course, this also doesn't negate what D.Will said a couple of weeks ago. It makes no sense to ban someone from the facilities and teammates. Most of the players go back home, which is to places that they got involved with the drugs in the first place. Smarter money is to suspend them from games and participating in team practices, but allow them to attend both.

Shoes
07-27-2017, 08:40 PM

Nor do I, Bryant will be on the field in a week.

smokin3000gt
07-27-2017, 10:56 PM
I don't see why rehab/drug prevention plan is required. Reinstate the man.. he is a grown ass man and knows what's on the line. If he smokes another doob and fails a drug test like a fool then that's on him and he'll have to pay a fool's price. This is like taking the horse to the river and holding his head under the water until he drinks.

Craic
07-28-2017, 02:23 AM
I don't see why rehab/drug prevention plan is required. Reinstate the man.. he is a grown ass man and knows what's on the line. If he smokes another doob and fails a drug test like a fool then that's on him and he'll have to pay a fool's price. This is like taking the horse to the river and holding his head under the water until he drinks.
Which is pretty much exactly what you have to do for addicts. It's caring for people. You can't treat an addict like a grown, mature individual when dealing with the issue of their addiction.

pczach
07-28-2017, 03:45 AM
If this is a requirement of being reinstated that Bryant and his agent didn't take care of in a timely manner, Bryant is a moron and his agent is incompetent.

The agent's only job when a player is under contract and suspended is to make sure he meets all requirements and does everything in his power to get him on the field.

Bryant's one goal in his life should have been to stay away from weed and do everything possible to get back on the field and start making money for his family again.

If his agent dropped the ball, he may never get another client.

If his agent has tried to make arrangements and has been hounding Bryant to get this done and Bryant has been dragging his feet.....the stupidity meter would be off the charts.

DesertSteel
07-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Maybe he's waiting for Ben to apologize before he complies with reinstatement conditions.

Mojouw
07-28-2017, 10:13 AM
I have to admit, this is the first time in quite a while that I'm looking at something the league is doing and can say, "Yeah, I'm totally behind that." There's plenty of things I argue around here concerning seeing things from the league's point of view, but that doesn't mean I agree with them. This, on the other hand, seems to be dead on. It shows a concern not just for "showing the best face" but actually caring enough for the player to follow through with continued help. Now, the question has to be asked, why doesn't the league push in the next CBA to get this in the second or third instance before someone is suspended for a year?

Of course, this also doesn't negate what D.Will said a couple of weeks ago. It makes no sense to ban someone from the facilities and teammates. Most of the players go back home, which is to places that they got involved with the drugs in the first place. Smarter money is to suspend them from games and participating in team practices, but allow them to attend both.

This is what I have really hoped for for some time. It makes no sense to remove a struggling individual from their support structure. Just take their money, but allow them to be around the facility.

86WARD
07-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Kind of shoddy "reporting" to say he speculates it's because he doesn't have his rehab set up. There's no facts that states that's the issue. It could be the actual issue, but to just throw that out there? TMZ-esque.

AtlantaDan
07-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Kind of shoddy "reporting" to say he speculates it's because he doesn't have his rehab set up. There's no facts that states that's the issue. It could be the actual issue, but to just throw that out there? TMZ-esque.

This statement was issued by the Steelers in April

Bryant may join the Steelers at the training facility and participate in meetings, conditioning work and similar activities. Once arrangements have been confirmed regarding Bryant’s clinical resources in Pittsburgh, he will be permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statements-on-Martavis-Bryants-reinstatement/8dc3b12f-c42a-4548-a580-76073f70ae14

Since the Steelers said in April that Bryant could practice and play in games "once arrangements have been confirmed regarding Bryant’s clinical resources in Pittsburgh" seems reasonable to conclude that is the hangup.

86WARD
07-29-2017, 05:14 AM
To start it was a "conditional reinstatement". There was a laundry list of things Bryant would have to do and after time, the NFL would fully reinstate him. Not once everything was checked off the list, after time. Bryant told reporters several times that he had weekly required check-ins in order for him to be good with the league and get fully reinstated so it was clearly on his radar and the agents radar.

Just because he isn't fully reinstated Doesnt mean he didn't make arrangements for rehab or skip rehab or not meet all his requirements, he may have met every standard and requirement the NFL required the NFL still has to give him the go-ahead to get back on the field no matter what he has done. They need to review it all.

To just make the assumption that he didn't fulfill his rehab requirements is TMZ reporting. Maybe the NFL just needs to speak with the clinical personnel to see how Bryant is progressing or maybe he was right and maybe Bryant didn't make arrangements...but to go for the latter out of the gate, it's TMZ/ESPN crap.

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 10:42 AM

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 03:15 PM

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 04:27 PM

AtlantaDan
07-31-2017, 04:35 PM

Tomlin & Colbert: What is with all the trips to Denver & Seattle? Have you heard pot is legal there?

Bryant: Wow - i had no idea. I just wanted to see the Space Needle in Seattle and the Rocky Mountains.

BlackAndGold
08-01-2017, 05:52 AM

Hopefully by the end of the week.

AtlantaDan
08-04-2017, 10:20 AM
League office decided it was time to issue a statement on why Bryant still cannot practice

A spokesman for the NFL said Friday morning Bryant still has to fulfill requirements before he can rejoin his teammates in practice.
“He would be permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games, once he satisfies requirements,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in an email Friday.

McCarthy was not specific in what requirements Bryant has to fulfill, but the league’s announcement in April indicates it might have to do with his arrangements for “clinical resources” in Pittsburgh.
“Bryant may join the Steelers at the training facility and participate in meetings, conditioning work and similar activities,” the statement said. “Once arrangements have been confirmed regarding Bryant’s clinical resources in Pittsburgh, he will be permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/04/Martavis-Bryant-suspension-reinstatement-NFL/stories/201708040128?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1501858771

So it does appear to be related to setting up the support/counseling system

Either the league is simply dragging this out or Bryant's agent f***ed up by not getting this set up for approval months ago.

Not a peep from the NFLPA (no surprise there - that clown show that calls itself a union is worthless) or Bryant's agent, which indicates to me the agent screwed up.

Dwinsgames
08-04-2017, 10:33 AM
League office decided it was time to issue a statement on why Bryant still cannot practice

A spokesman for the NFL said Friday morning Bryant still has to fulfill requirements before he can rejoin his teammates in practice.
“He would be permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games, once he satisfies requirements,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in an email Friday.

McCarthy was not specific in what requirements Bryant has to fulfill, but the league’s announcement in April indicates it might have to do with his arrangements for “clinical resources” in Pittsburgh.
“Bryant may join the Steelers at the training facility and participate in meetings, conditioning work and similar activities,” the statement said. “Once arrangements have been confirmed regarding Bryant’s clinical resources in Pittsburgh, he will be permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/04/Martavis-Bryant-suspension-reinstatement-NFL/stories/201708040128?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1501858771

Either the league is simply dragging this out or Bryant's agent f***ed up by not getting this set up for approval months ago.

Not a peep from the NFLPA (no surprise there - that clown show that calls itself a union is worthless) or Bryant's agent, which indicates to me the agent screwed up.

Ben and others claim he has done everything and are perplexed as to why the league has not moved forward on it ..... that being said somebody is serving up bad info be is team mates Bryant himself ( or is he speaking under false pretenses being told to him by his people who could very well be the ones that dropped the ball ?? ) or the league has " misplaced " or never received the paperwork ???

at the end of the day all WE have is more questions than answers as none of this is clear and this is the FIRST case of its kind by the league as before they laid down punishment and things to do to get reinstated but NEVER anything once you have jumped through those hoops ...

as a side note I am surprised a bigger stink wasn't made by the NFLPA on the terms of reinstatement .... in the end it is probably a good thing for Bryant as a person

a huge problem here is the league is now looking into potential use of weed as treatment , how does that look to players suspended for its use ??

AtlantaDan
08-04-2017, 10:44 AM
a huge problem here is the league is not looking into potential use of weed as treatment , how does that look to players suspended for its use ??

This week the league claimed it may start looking into marijuana as a pain relief option

The NFL’s new chief medical officer admits that the league needs to take a serious look at how marijuana could potentially be used as a pain-management tool for players

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/04/nfl-chief-medical-officer-really-important-to-look-at-marijuana-for-pain/

IMO that is PR bullshit by the league (like wanting to get to the bottom of the relationship between CTE and repeatedly getting hit in the head while playing football) but at least they are not as doctrinaire about the topic

Dwinsgames
08-04-2017, 10:52 AM
This week the league claimed it may start looking into marijuana as a pain relief option

The NFL’s new chief medical officer admits that the league needs to take a serious look at how marijuana could potentially be used as a pain-management tool for players

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/04/nfl-chief-medical-officer-really-important-to-look-at-marijuana-for-pain/

IMO that is PR bullshit by the league (like wanting to get to the bottom of the relationship between CTE and repeatedly getting hit in the head while playing football) but at least they are not as doctrinaire about the topic

NOT , was a typo should have been now ..... should make the statement make a ton more sense

AtlantaDan
08-04-2017, 11:01 AM
NOT , was a typo should have been now ..... should make the statement make a ton more sense

No worries - :drink:

No hypocrisy in saying you cannot use until the rules change - if the league ever does amend the CBA and allow marijuana as pain relief remedy then it will be like "medical marijuana" in States like California before California cut the crap and simply legalized recreational use - any player who wants to use will be able to get a doctor's note saying it is for medically necessary pain relief - until then players have to stay clean just as employees in States where pot is legal still cannot use if their employer drug tests and bans use as condition of employment

BurghBoy412
08-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Not a peep from the NFLPA (no surprise there - that clown show that calls itself a union is worthless) or Bryant's agent, which indicates to me the agent screwed up.Maybe Bryant is responsible for setting up his own treatment/ counseling in Pittsburgh. It's a medical issue and I'm pretty sure law requires first person action when it comes to that kinda stuff. It makes me wonder how much Bryant is being responsible for himself and pressuring the NFL to get his reinstatement. If I was in his position I would be hounding them day and night. I did my part now follow through on your end NFL.

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Martavis has been punished enough ...

FreeMartavis

DesertSteel
08-04-2017, 01:29 PM
The NFL office made it clear that there is something he hasn't fulfilled. They went out of their way to do so. At this point, MB has no credibility with me. I'm taking the NFL's side on this one. It'd be great to have him back... but, I didn't get everything I wanted for Christmas either. I wanted a new set of golf clubs and got a watch instead.

ALLD
08-04-2017, 01:33 PM
I am getting tired of all of the political and marijuana bullshit. They are just as bad as the cheap shots players take on each other. Stop it already.

AtlantaDan
08-04-2017, 02:40 PM
Maybe Bryant is responsible for setting up his own treatment/ counseling in Pittsburgh. It's a medical issue and I'm pretty sure law requires first person action when it comes to that kinda stuff. It makes me wonder how much Bryant is being responsible for himself and pressuring the NFL to get his reinstatement. If I was in his position I would be hounding them day and night. I did my part now follow through on your end NFL.

LOL - the only thing I would trust Bryant to handle on his own is to buy more drugs

It would seem to be the agent's job - but there have to be qualified professionals in this field that Bryant could find through either talking to John Lucas (assuming Lucas still trusts him after Bryant worked with Lucas during his 2015 suspension), the Steelers or the NFLPA

st33lersguy
08-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Just get this crap cleared up and squared away so we can put an end to this. Sheesh. Incompetence is everywhere, including immature Martavis Bryant and his peanut-sized brain that allowed him to get into this mess in the first place

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 05:48 PM

:pray:

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 05:54 PM

- - - Updated - - -

It become a circus this story....

Dwinsgames
08-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Blitzburgh‏ @Steel_Curtain4 (https://twitter.com/Steel_Curtain4)

Bryant was coming off the bus with his pads and Kevin Colbert stopped him and pads were taken away. https://abs.twimg.com/emoji/v2/72x72/1f440.png #Steelers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash)

- - - Updated - - -

I do believe the league is pissing with him at this point .....

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 05:57 PM

DesertSteel
08-04-2017, 09:47 PM
Which part of Bryant's history instills confidence in you that he has actually met all the conditions for reinstatement?

Lady Steel
08-04-2017, 10:23 PM
If Martavis played for the Patriots, he would be on the field and practicing by now.

Shoes
08-04-2017, 10:31 PM
If Martavis played for the Patriots, he would be on the field and practicing by now.

This X100!

But I do think he'll be on the field next week.

DesertSteel
08-04-2017, 11:05 PM
What part of Goodell's dealings with Brady and Kraft over the past two years make you believe that?

Shoes
08-04-2017, 11:21 PM
What part of Goodell's dealings with Brady and Kraft over the past two years make you believe that?

I think Goodell lightly spanked Kraft & Brady to make himself and his shield look good. This is what he should have acted on.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/9/8/9275617/patriots-cheating-spygate-deflategate-nfl-news-brady-belichick-goodell-steelers-evidence-cover-up

DesertSteel
08-04-2017, 11:23 PM
I think Goodell lightly spanked Kraft & Brady to make himself and his shield look good. This is what he should have acted on.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/9/8/9275617/patriots-cheating-spygate-deflategate-nfl-news-brady-belichick-goodell-steelers-evidence-cover-up
I think that an objective view would conclude that taking their #1 pick and suspending the league's best QB 4 games was not a light spank.

Shoes
08-04-2017, 11:37 PM
I think that an objective view would conclude that taking their #1 pick and suspending the league's best QB 4 games was not a light spank.

And they Cheated for years and were rewarded for it. Light spanking imo.

Butch
08-05-2017, 01:58 AM

Compared to this debacle where there was no proof and trumped up charges. What they got was a walk in the park.
https://deadspin.com/5941442/saints-players-bountygate-suspensions-overturned-on-appeal

Where was the year suspension for belicheat? What about his coaching staff being torn apart? Bigger question why was something that they had concreate evidence treated so lightly while throwing the book at something that was never proven? Why did they refer to bob kraft as the assistant commissioner at the NFL offices a few short years ago?

BurghBoy412
08-05-2017, 07:09 AM
LOL - the only thing I would trust Bryant to handle on his own is to buy more drugs

It would seem to be the agent's job - but there have to be qualified professionals in this field that Bryant could find through either talking to John Lucas (assuming Lucas still trusts him after Bryant worked with Lucas during his 2015 suspension), the Steelers or the NFLPAI'm starting to think this has something to do with the Steelers front office not wanting him out there. I remember how quickly they ran off Santonio Holmes and he was a Super Bowl MVP. I'm really starting to wonder if Kevin Colbert isn't partly to blame for all this hold up. It's beginning to appear like he has some kind of vendetta with Bryant.

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 07:16 AM
For me, the deflategate is nothing major and it is a shame for the league....There had no evidence.For the spygate, it's another story, Belichick would have deserved to be suspended for the season in 2007.

For the bountygate, Gregg Williams would have deserved to be suspended longer and the suspension of Sean Payton and other players were a joke.

Too much incompetence in this league since Goodell is the commissioner.

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 07:30 AM
I'm starting to think this has something to do with the Steelers front office not wanting him out there. I remember how quickly they ran off Santonio Holmes and he was a Super Bowl MVP. I'm really starting to wonder if Kevin Colbert isn't partly to blame for all this hold up. It's beginning to appear like he has some kind of vendetta with Bryant.

The trade of Santonio Holmes was bad for the steelers.....It was a overreaction with the situation of Holmes and also Roethisberger....

teegre
08-05-2017, 07:32 AM
The trade of Santonio Holmes was bad for the steelers.....It was a overreaction with the situation of Holmes and also Roethisberger....

That trade netted Antonio Brown... so...

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 07:35 AM
That trade netted Antonio Brown... so...

I don't know if it's true, but if it's true, it was very lucky!

tube517
08-05-2017, 07:39 AM
I don't know if it's true, but if it's true, it was very lucky!

It's true. Steelers traded the 5th round pick they got for Holmes and traded it to the Cardinals. They got Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick in return. That 6th round pick was AB

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 07:47 AM
It's true. Steelers traded the 5th round pick they got for Holmes and traded it to the Cardinals. They got Bryant McFadden and a 6th round pick in return. That 6th round pick was AB

Sometimes, better be lucky than good!

I mean, the steelers have selected Jonathan Dwyer 7 pick before Antonio Brown with their 188th pick.Not a bad draft pick for a 6 round draft pick, but if Brown had been drafted at the 188th pick instead, Holmes's trade would have been bad and it was an overreaction.

I know that Holmes would have left the year after, but the Steelers would have had a 3rd round compensation pick instead, but better to be lucky than good sometimes!

AtlantaDan
08-05-2017, 08:22 AM

As posted above, the draft pick received for Holmes worked out OK

In the spring of 2010 Holmes was going into the 5th year of his initial contract and was not going to get a new contract with the Steelers. Holmes had been acting out through 2009 and once he rejoined the team following his 4 game suspension would have made the Mike Wallace 2012 season look like a walk in the park if he had stayed with the team through 2010.

The prelude to the Holmes and Ben crack ups in 2010 was the entire Super Bowl hangover 2009 season, which included Ward calling out Ben on national TV for sitting out a game with a concussion and the team falling apart with a five game losing streak (remember unleash hell?). I think the Rooneys and Tomlin knew a lot about that 2009 team that never came out and decided to send a message that nonsense was over by dumping Holmes.

Rather than face losing Holmes and Ben to start the 2010 season Steelers made the right decision to cut their losses

fansince'76
08-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Which part of Bryant's history instills confidence in you that he has actually met all the conditions for reinstatement?

By the same token, which part of Goodell's history in general regarding player discipline should instill confidence that Bryant's case has actually been handled competently and fairly?

In regard to player discipline, Goodell has an established history of making shit up as he goes along and it's usually dictated by the level of media "outrage" a specific player's case generates as to how he handles it. And it's also the absolutely wrong way to handle player discipline.

Yes, Martavis Bryant is a knucklehead, but Goodell is an incompetent assclown and IMO, the worst commissioner in professional sports by a pretty good margin.

Personally, I'm certainly not prepared to give Goodell or the league any benefit of the doubt.

st33lersguy
08-05-2017, 09:47 AM
By the same token, which part of Goodell's history in general regarding player discipline should instill confidence that Bryant's case has actually been handled competently and fairly?

In regard to player discipline, Goodell has an established history of making shit up as he goes along and it's usually dictated by the level of media "outrage" a specific player's case generates as to how he handles it. And it's also the absolutely wrong way to handle player discipline.

Yes, Martavis Bryant is a knucklehead, but Goodell is an incompetent assclown and IMO, the worst commissioner in professional sports by a pretty good margin.

Personally, I'm certainly not prepared to give Goodell or the league any benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. It's plausible that Bryant the idiot just didn't follow through with everything but thought he did, and at the same time it is plausible that Bryant did everything asked of him and Gotohell is holding up full reinstatement for the singular purpose of giving himself something else to laugh about while he is talking to himself about how great of a commissioner he thinks he is. Frankly, I just wish this easily avoided shit show would end

stillers4me
08-05-2017, 09:53 AM
One would think his agent/advisors would be aware of any outstanding requirements and have made sure that all of them were fulfilled. Not to mention the Steelers FO would be monitoring at this point, since the clock is ticking towards the season opener. They have to know something that we don't. (imagine that)

Something just doesn't smell right. :hmm:

steelreserve
08-05-2017, 10:10 AM
The Holmes trade was good? You've got to be kidding me. That was the biggest "get the fuck out of here, we don't even care if we get a sandwich for you" trade in the history of the league. Usually, what we got in return will end up being this: A guy who doesn't even make the team, or struggles every time he's on the field until he's cut after a year or two. That we were later incredibly lucky with a draft pick two trades removed from the Holmes deal is completely unrelated.

Same logic as saying Emmanuel Sanders was a "home run" draft pick because he went on to be good with another team when we got nothing in return.

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 10:18 AM
The Holmes trade was good? You've got to be kidding me. That was the biggest "get the fuck out of here, we don't even care if we get a sandwich for you" trade in the history of the league. Usually, what we got in return will end up being this: A guy who doesn't even make the team, or struggles every time he's on the field until he's cut after a year or two. That we were later incredibly lucky with a draft pick two trades removed from the Holmes deal is completely unrelated.

Same logic as saying Emmanuel Sanders was a "home run" draft pick because he went on to be good with another team when we got nothing in return.

This

And even if Holmes would probably leave the steelers the following year, we will probably have had a 3rd round compensation pick because of his big contract that Holmes would have had with another team.

The steelers had another 5th round pick, if the steelers wanted Bryan McFadden, the steelers could have made this trade with the 5th round draft pick that we had instead of selecting a no name!

The steelers were very fortunate in this situation.

DesertSteel
08-05-2017, 10:25 AM

For the record, I'm in the minority, but I have no problems with Roger as commissioner.

AtlantaDan
08-05-2017, 11:31 AM

Addition through subtraction - they got rid of a player who admitted he butted heads with Tomlin throughout 2009 and that they were going to cut if they did not receive a draft choice for him

Unless you assume with Holmes the Steelers would have won the Super Bowl (without having him for the first 4 games in 2010) hard to say it was bad trade since Holmes was gone in 2011 even if he stayed in 2010

fansince'76
08-05-2017, 11:40 AM
For the record, I'm in the minority, but I have no problems with Roger as commissioner.

Fair enough. To each their own...

Mojouw
08-05-2017, 11:44 AM
This is all most likely on the league. Most "Twitter insiders" have been saying so - Fowler, Glazer, etc. If it was on.Bryant, this story would be every where. League sucks at things, not interesting and no one outside of Steelers fans cares. Bryant sucks at things tons of clicks and content gets generated by interest from fantasy football, general NFL fans, and internet rubberneckers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwinsgames
08-05-2017, 11:47 AM
I guess my issue in all this is ....

1) he was suspended for the 2016 season

2 ) this is the 2017 season , he did his time there should be no other restrictions the NFL is not a judicial branch of government

3) precedent ... there is none like this case and should have been appealed by the NFLPA yet those yes men have been silent

4) the NFL is headed into uncharted waters , where they give players guidelines to follow , dole out punishments far greater than the actual Law would administer and fines that are crazy huge on top of it all considering no play no pay ( a fine in itself to some degree ) then once time is served more burdens places upon you and hoops to jump through just to get back into the game ....

point being I guess is the hoops themselves are a punishment , the suspension is a punishment , the lack of pay is yet another punishment , the fines are another punishment ... at what point is this all just to damned much ...

get caught with a little weed by a cop $100 bill in fines ends the entire thing ....

when did the NFL become greater than the law of the land and is it a smart thing for them to be ???

something to ponder

Mojouw
08-05-2017, 11:52 AM
In my opinion, a draft pick is a chance to identify guys that can.play and play well in the NFL. If free agency, the cap, and roster constraints prevent that from happening on your team - that doesn't mean the pick was not a great pick.

Borland by the 49ers was a great later round pick. He had to retire due to injury. But for one season he showed he could be good. Pretty good draft pick.

DesertSteel
08-05-2017, 12:22 PM

2 ) this is the 2017 season , he did his time there should be no other restrictions the NFL is not a judicial branch of government

3) precedent ... there is none like this case and should have been appealed by the NFLPA yet those yes men have been silent

4) the NFL is headed into uncharted waters , where they give players guidelines to follow , dole out punishments far greater than the actual Law would administer and fines that are crazy huge on top of it all considering no play no pay ( a fine in itself to some degree ) then once time is served more burdens places upon you and hoops to jump through just to get back into the game ....

point being I guess is the hoops themselves are a punishment , the suspension is a punishment , the lack of pay is yet another punishment , the fines are another punishment ... at what point is this all just to damned much ...

get caught with a little weed by a cop $100 bill in fines ends the entire thing ....

when did the NFL become greater than the law of the land and is it a smart thing for them to be ???

something to ponder
Every company has the right to create and enforce terms of employment. It's like the old freedom of speech argument. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences.

Dwinsgames
08-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Every company has the right to create and enforce terms of employment. It's like the old freedom of speech argument. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences.

the league isnt the employer the teams are , and yes I agree they have some rights but should those rights be allowed to be what I would call " double jeopardy terms " which is above and beyond the law

AtlantaDan
This is all most likely on the league. Most "Twitter insiders" have been saying so - Fowler, Glazer, etc. If it was on.Bryant, this story would be every where. League sucks at things, not interesting and no one outside of Steelers fans cares. Bryant sucks at things tons of clicks and content gets generated by interest from fantasy football, general NFL fans, and internet rubberneckers.

Why the apparent silence from the NFLPA and the agent?

If I am the agent I want other potential clients to know I push for my players when I think the league office is screwing around and while impotent the NFLPA has not been bashful about calling out the league office when it is jerking a player around.

the league isnt the employer the teams are , and yes I agree they have some rights but should those rights be allowed to be what I would call " double jeopardy terms " which is above and beyond the law

The NFLPA negotiated a crappy collective bargaining agreement that allowed it to happen - in defense of the NFLPA the players were unwilling or unable (unlike MLB and NBA players) to shut down a season as leverage to get a better deal after the NFL hired replacement players to break the 1987 strike

ALLD

something to ponder

Is the NFL taking lessons from Congress and Robert Mueller? The shit is getting ridiculous.

AtlantaDan
08-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Is the NFL taking lessons from Congress and Robert Mueller? The shit is getting ridiculous.

I am getting tired of all of the political and marijuana bullshit. They are just as bad as the cheap shots players take on each other. Stop it already.

:rolleyes:

DesertSteel
08-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Goodell works for the owners. He represents their interests. All indications are that they are very happy with business since RG took over. Players agreed to the CBA, with all the terms spelled out. Life sucks that way. You know... make millions of dollars in a few short years, playing a game. Just don't get caught doing drugs multiple times, beat your wife in the elevator or refuse to stand during the National Anthem.

BurghBoy412
08-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Goodell works for the owners. He represents their interests. All indications are that they are very happy with business since RG took over. Players agreed to the CBA, with all the terms spelled out. Life sucks that way. You know... make millions of dollars in a few short years, playing a game. Just don't get caught doing drugs multiple times, beat your wife in the elevator or refuse to stand during the National Anthem.Exactly! Goodell works for the owner's. This is why I suspect this hold up has something to do with Rooney and Colbert. They may say differently but I suspect there is some underlying resentment with Bryant. They may be using him to make an example. Screw around on us and see how hard it is to get back in the good graces. I may be way off. However I can imagine deep down the Steelers front office is still pretty pissed off with this guy.

I won't be surprised to see Bryant get cut. Especially if Justin Hunter is viewed as a dependable replacement, without the baggage.

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 03:49 PM
This is obvious that the NFL product is much worse since Goodell is the Commissioner.

So much inconsistent in its punishments and I hope that the NFLPA will dominate Goodell during the lockout in 2021.

Bryant was suspended for the 2016 season, not 2017, so enough is enough

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly! Goodell works for the owner's. This is why I suspect this hold up has something to do with Rooney and Colbert. They may say differently but I suspect there is some underlying resentment with Bryant. They may be using him to make an example. Screw around on us and see how hard it is to get back in the good graces. I may be way off. However I can imagine deep down the Steelers front office is still pretty pissed off with this guy.

I won't be surprised to see Bryant get cut. Especially if Justin Hunter is viewed as a dependable replacement, without the baggage.

Please, it would be a major mistake.

BurghBoy412
08-05-2017, 03:53 PM
This is obvious that the NFL product is much worse since Goodell is the Commissioner.

So much inconsistent in its punishments and I hope that the NFLPA will dominate Goodell during the lockout in 2021.

- - - Updated - - -

Please, it would be a major mistake.It depends on how they view things not me. Not saying it will happen but it wouldn't surprise me.

DesertSteel
08-05-2017, 04:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Please, it would be a major mistake.
What exactly is worse about the product?

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 04:29 PM
What exactly is worse about the product?

The games

As the referee are worse, because he has so many complicated rules now, the Thursday night games are horrible because the teams have very little time to prepare and often at least one of his teams play their worst game of the year on a Thursday night and etc.

The fact that the pro bowl is now before the super bowl is horrible, because too many players are selecting and it's almost an insult now if you're not selecting and when it's the 14th and 15th best QB are at pro bowl ,It's a shame

and several other things that I have problems.

Iron Steeler
08-05-2017, 06:47 PM
yeh what the hell is going on here?

Shoes
08-05-2017, 08:27 PM
Exactly! Goodell works for the owner's. This is why I suspect this hold up has something to do with Rooney and Colbert. They may say differently but I suspect there is some underlying resentment with Bryant. They may be using him to make an example. Screw around on us and see how hard it is to get back in the good graces. I may be way off. However I can imagine deep down the Steelers front office is still pretty pissed off with this guy.

There is no way that will happen unless Bryant failed a drug test and I don't think that is the case at all. I think he'll be at work by Monday. By the way, I believe Hunter was injured today, but not sure what the issue was. If Hunter replaces anyone it will be Coates. Alex update on Hunter, out holding his shoulder, but came back in later. Good News!

“He’s (Bryant) now been with us since the Spring and he’s been dedicated, working out, doing everything he can, Rooney said. “He looks like he’s in great shape and we’re just anxious to get him back in full in practice here and hopefully it will be any day now.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/art-rooney-ii-status-martavis-bryant-hopefully-will-day-now/

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-05-2017, 08:41 PM
There is no way that will happen unless Bryant failed a drug test and I don't think that is the case at all. I think he'll be at work by Monday. By the way, I believe Hunter was injured yesterday but not sure what the issue was. If Hunter replaces anyone it will be Coates.

“He’s (Bryant) now been with us since the Spring and he’s been dedicated, working out, doing everything he can, Rooney said. “He looks like he’s in great shape and we’re just anxious to get him back in full in practice here and hopefully it will be any day now.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/08/art-rooney-ii-status-martavis-bryant-hopefully-will-day-now/ I'm thinking Monday too so he will be able to practice some this week with the team. Maybe a chance he can play in the preseason opener.

Shoes
08-05-2017, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking Monday too so he will be able to practice some this week with the team. Maybe a chance he can play in the preseason opener.

Lets hope for tomorrow!

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 08:56 PM
We never know with Goodell....

Dwinsgames
08-05-2017, 09:26 PM

it will not happen ...UNLESS he fails a test

DesertSteel
08-05-2017, 11:16 PM
The games

As the referee are worse, because he has so many complicated rules now, the Thursday night games are horrible because the teams have very little time to prepare and often at least one of his teams play their worst game of the year on a Thursday night and etc.

The fact that the pro bowl is now before the super bowl is horrible, because too many players are selecting and it's almost an insult now if you're not selecting and when it's the 14th and 15th best QB are at pro bowl ,It's a shame

Most of the rule changes are for safety so I have no problem with that. And the good ol days had way too many blown calls. At least there's instant replay now. As for the pro bowl, it's always been the most worthless event in all of sports. Nothing is ever going to change that.

I think the the games are great and I've been watching for 45 years.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Most of the rule changes are for safety so I have no problem with that. And the good ol days had way too many blown calls. At least there's instant replay now. As for the pro bowl, it's always been the most worthless event in all of sports. Nothing is ever going to change that.

I think the the games are great and I've been watching for 45 years.

Goodell don't care about players safety,otherwise Burfict would have been suspended more often......Goodell wanted more offense and that's what the league has had, with the many times with an QBs with more than 5000 yards or close.

For the pro bowl, I'm not talking about the game, but I'm talking about the fact that the pro bowl is now before the super bowl, too many players are selecting, it's a shame when average QB participates in pro bowl .

st33lersguy
08-06-2017, 09:11 AM
Goodell don't care about players safety,otherwise Burfict would have been suspended more often......Goodell wanted more offense and that's what the league has had, with the many times with an QBs with more than 5000 yards or close.

For the pro bowl, I'm not talking about the game, but I'm talking about the fact that the pro bowl is now before the super bowl, too many players are selecting, it's a shame when average QB participates in pro bowl .

Not to mention Thursday night football (which the players and coaches don't want anyway) would be bagged. Commissioner Asshat is such a joke.

Also the pro bowl is a microcosm of his entire tenure as commissioner. Moving up the pro bowl before the Super Bowl just for the sake of changing something and really only makes it worse by putting less talented players in to replace those sitting out due to the Super Bowl

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Goodell has made Billions for the Owners. The NFL is a business. The #1 most important part of business is the BOTTOM LINE! Profits are through the roof right now. The recent Oakland move was another bank maker. The average fan may loathe Goodell but I'm sure if you were to ask the Owners. The people whom employ Goodell. They would be pleased with his performance. Do you actually think the Owners are concerned with what the fans think when they are raking in the cash? Probably not! Love him or hate him Goodell has done what he was hired to do. I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. BTW, Nobody give a rats ass about the Pro Bowl. Players and fans alike. Never have never will.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Goodell has made Billions for the Owners. The NFL is a business. The #1 most important part of business is the BOTTOM LINE! Profits are through the roof right now. The recent Oakland move was another bank maker. The average fan may loathe Goodell but I'm sure if you were to ask the Owners. The people whom employ Goodell. They would be pleased with his performance. Do you actually think the Owners are concerned with what the fans think when they are raking in the cash? Probably not! Love him or hate him Goodell has done what he was hired to do. I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon. BTW, Nobody give a rats ass about the Pro Bowl. Players and fans alike. Never have never will.

For the profits, anyone who knows the football would have been able to make the same profit as Goodell.

I mean, the NFL was by far the most popular league in America even before Goodell arrived....Goodell did not do anything special for the rise the profits like David Stern did for the NBA.

For the pro bowl, once again, I don't talk about the games, but rather that there has too many players are selecting for the pro bowl.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 09:53 AM
For the profits, anyone who knows the football would have been able to make the same profit as Goodell.

I mean, the NFL was by far the most popular league in America even before Goodell arrived....Goodell did not do anything special for the rise the profits like David Stern did for the NBA.

For the pro bowl, once again, I don't talk about the games, but rather that there has too many players are selecting for the pro bowl.
Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl! They could let all the players from all the teams play in the Pro Bowl and still nobody would care.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl! They could let all the players from all the teams play in the Pro Bowl and still nobody would care.

Players want to be selected but not play and since the pro bowl is before the super bowl too many players are selected and sometimes at the end of the career we look at the number of pro bowl to know if this player deserves to be at the HOF or not but when a player make the pro bowl several times as a replacement it distorts the things too much!

This is my big problem.

steelreserve
08-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Goodell has made Billions for the Owners. The NFL is a business. The #1 most important part of business is the BOTTOM LINE! Profits are through the roof right now. The recent Oakland move was another bank maker. The average fan may loathe Goodell but I'm sure if you were to ask the Owners. The people whom employ Goodell. They would be pleased with his performance. Do you actually think the Owners are concerned with what the fans think when they are raking in the cash? Probably not!

Thing is, Goodell hasn't made them billions. He hasn't made them a dime. If anything, he's held them back from making even more, and shares responsibility for the recent decline in interest that they're worried about.

Fact is, the game itself is so popular that it makes money in spite of Goodell, not because of him. They would have made the same billions with a trained monkey in charge. For that matter, they would have made it with a wild monkey in charge. The owners did not get where they are by being stupid and oblivious, so undoubtedly they know this too.

Imagine you owned a business - say, a restaurant that was known around the whole country for this one sandwich that you couldn't find anywhere else, and you'd been making a ton of money for the past 40 years because of that. And every day your customers came in and complained about the new manager, said he was a jerk and making it unpleasant to come to the restaurant, and the only reason they were still coming was because of the sandwich. Any halfway competent person could run the restaurant, and you know it because you've run other restaurants yourself. What would you do then?

Literally THE ONLY reason I can think of why the owners want Goodell is because he fills the role of the dumb ape in a suit at the podium, and he plays it perfectly. He's there to take abuse from the public so they don't have to, and I can't imagine anyone being better at it. He's not even really being paid to be the commissioner - he's an actor. A $40 million figurehead to use as a punching bag. He could probably have a great career as a villain in pro wrestling if he wasn't doing this. Well, fine, I'll hurl abuse at him then, since that's what he's there for.

lipps83
08-06-2017, 10:11 AM

As an event, no, but the players and fans do care about the recognition by their peers and fans.

If it didn't matter, why would number of probowls a player has been selected to be stamped on every Hall of Fame inductees resume?

I don't care about the event itself, but it is certainly telling of how good a player actually was during their career.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Players want to be selected but not play and since the pro bowl is before the super bowl too many players are selected and sometimes at the end of the career we look at the number of pro bowl to know if this player deserves to be at the HOF or not but when a player make the pro bowl several times as a replacement it distorts the things too much!

This is my big problem.

Super Bowl wins and appearances are way more important than Pro Bowls. When it comes to HOF consideration. How many HOF players haven't won or at least played in a Super Bowl.

lipps83
08-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Thing is, Goodell hasn't made them billions. He hasn't made them a dime. If anything, he's held them back from making even more, and shares responsibility for the recent decline in interest that they're worried about.

Fact is, the game itself is so popular that it makes money in spite of Goodell, not because of him. They would have made the same billions with a trained monkey in charge. For that matter, they would have made it with a wild monkey in charge. The owners did not get where they are by being stupid and oblivious, so undoubtedly they know this too.

Imagine you owned a business - say, a restaurant that was known around the whole country for this one sandwich that you couldn't find anywhere else, and you'd been making a ton of money for the past 40 years because of that. And every day your customers came in and complained about the new manager, said he was a jerk and making it unpleasant to come to the restaurant, and the only reason they were still coming was because of the sandwich. Any halfway competent person could run the restaurant, and you know it because you've run other restaurants yourself. What would you do then?

Literally THE ONLY reason I can think of why the owners want Goodell is because he fills the role of the dumb ape in a suit at the podium, and he plays it perfectly. He's there to take abuse from the public so they don't have to. A $40 million figurehead to use as a punching bag. He could probably have a great career as a villain in pro wrestling if he wasn't doing this. Well, fine, I'll hurl abuse at him then, since that's what he's there for.

Kind of like the President. Everyone thinks he runs the country, but he doesn't. He is merely a figurehead for those organizations that actually do run the country.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Super Bowl wins and appearances are way more important than Pro Bowls. When it comes to HOF consideration. How many HOF players haven't won or at least played in a Super Bowl.

For a QB, maybe but not for the other positions.Several players who have never played in the super bowl are in the HOF ...

- - - Updated - - -

As an event, no, but the players and fans do care about the recognition by their peers and fans.

If it didn't matter, why would number of probowls a player has been selected to be stamped on every Hall of Fame inductees resume?

I don't care about the event itself, but it is certainly telling of how good a player actually was during their career.

It was my point.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Literally THE ONLY reason I can think of why the owners want Goodell is because he fills the role of the dumb ape in a suit at the podium, and he plays it perfectly. He's there to take abuse from the public so they don't have to. He's not even really being paid to be the commissioner - he's an actor. A $40 million figurehead to use as a punching bag. He could probably have a great career as a villain in pro wrestling if he wasn't doing this. Well, fine, I'll hurl abuse at him then, since that's what he's there for.
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/22/las-vegas-raiders-relocation-fee-nfl-owners-meetings Look at how much the league has made in relocation fees under Goodells tenure.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 10:22 AM
https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/22/las-vegas-raiders-relocation-fee-nfl-owners-meetings Look at how much the league has made in relocation fees under Goodells tenure.

Not an achievement.

I mean, I would have been able to do that myself too !!!!!

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 10:31 AM
I'm sure you could broker deals that make 9 figures. Lol

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 10:36 AM
I'm sure you could broker deals that make 9 figures. Lol

I mean, the NFL was the most popular league in America before Goodell be the commissioner.The profits are not hard to do when the league went already very well before you arrive.

But the product on the field is worse with Goodell

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 10:41 AM
I mean, the NFL was the most popular league in America before Goodell be the commissioner.The profits are not hard to do when the league went already very well before you arrive.

But the product on the field is worse with Goodell
Please explain exactly how the product on the field is worse yet profits are up? How has Goodell contributed to a poor product on the field?

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Please explain exactly how the product on the field is worse yet profits are up? How has Goodell contributed to a poor product on the field?

read my post of number 84 in this thread.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 10:52 AM
The games

So you're saying the games are not competitive or exciting? The rules implemented for player safety have somehow made the games less enjoyable? The Pro Bowl being moved to the week before the Super Bowl to improve ratings (which it has). This has all made the NFL lame an unwatchable? If that is the case why are you on a forum posting about the season a month before it officially begins? I guess the NFL is so lame and boring that it produces the need to talk about it for 365 days a year? I think you can stop complaining about the "product on the field". If it was really that bad you wouldn't be concerned enough about it to be here on this forum running you mouth about how lame it is now.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 11:00 AM
So you're saying the games are not competitive or exciting? The rules implemented for player safety have somehow made the games less enjoyable? The Pro Bowl being moved to the week before the Super Bowl to improve ratings (which it has). This has all made the NFL lame an unwatchable? If that is the case why are you on a forum posting about the season a month before it officially begins? I guess the NFL is so lame and boring that it produces the need to talk about it for 365 days a year?

For the players safety ... if it's so important for Goodell, why is Burfict not suspended more often?...Goodell wants more offense, he don't care about the players safety, otherwise the NFL would not have Thursday night games.

For the NFL, last year it was probably the first year I have not watched a lot of football, my interest is much less than before....Of course, I will follow the Steelers and also the playoffs(Especially the super bowl with my family), but I will watch fewer games than before.

One other thing that makes that the NFL is unwatchable is the ridiculous number of penalties.I prefer to let the players play as often as possible, but the penalty number is horrible for the product.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 11:04 AM
For the players safety ... if it's so important for Goodell, why is Burfict not suspended more often?...Goodell wants more offense, he don't care about the players safety, otherwise the NFL would not have Thursday night games.

For the NFL, last year it was probably the first year I have not watched a lot of football, my interest is much less than before....Of course, I will follow the Steelers and also the playoffs(Especially the super bowl with my family), but I will watch fewer games than before.
Yes, for player safety. Because if nothing is done to protect the players. The Owners (whom Goodell works for) would continue to get sued by players for brain injuries and such. By taking precautions he is covering the Owners butts.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Yes, for player safety. Because if nothing is done to protect the players. The Owners (whom Goodell works for) would continue to get sued by players for brain injuries and such. By taking precautions he is covering the Owners butts.

So why is Burfict not suspended more often?

Why the nfl has games on Thursday night? I don't think it's good for the players safety.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
So why is Burfict not suspended more often?

Why the nfl has games on Thursday night? I don't think it's good for the players safety.

Why should Burfict be suspended? The NFL has Thursday games because there is a TV contract to play Thursday night games. Is there evidence to support more players are injured on Thursday night games?

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Why should Burfict be suspended? The NFL has Thursday games because there is a TV contract to play Thursday night games. Is there evidence to support more players are injured on Thursday night games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIU4KYgDp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5RqQcoAnK8

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 11:20 AM
I don't see anything that warrants suspension

Hawkman
08-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I don't see anything that warrants suspension

You're kidding right?

Shoes
08-06-2017, 11:39 AM
You're kidding right?

That's what I was kind of thinking.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 12:04 PM
That's what I was kind of thinking. I didn't because the videos won't play.

Born2Steel
08-06-2017, 12:41 PM
So.....are we saying that not getting to the ProBowl is why Bryant hasn't been full reinstated? OR, is it for the safety of Burfict? I'm trying to keep up.....

:dizzy:

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 12:45 PM
So.....are we saying that not getting to the ProBowl is why Bryant hasn't been full reinstated? OR, is it for the safety of Burfict? I'm trying to keep up.....

:dizzy:Maybe if Bryant had made a few Pro Bowls he would have been reinstated by now.

Even with his new physique. I don't suspect he posses much of a physical threat to Burfict.

Born2Steel
08-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Maybe if Bryant had made a few Pro Bowls he would have been reinstated by now.

Even with his new physique. I don't suspect he posses much of a physical threat to Burfict.

:wtf::boom::toofunny:

Shoes
08-06-2017, 12:54 PM
I didn't because the videos won't play.

You have to click on the youtube icon when they blackout like that

lipps83
08-06-2017, 01:00 PM
How many HOF players haven't won or at least played in a Super Bowl.

Most of them.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Most of them.Probably

Mojouw
08-06-2017, 01:31 PM
All pro teams are more important for Canton than Pro Bowls.

SB is not a necessary component either.

Gooddell is almost universally regarded as a middling to awful commissioner.

Next TV contract will be telling for the NFL. With cable subscription down across the board and ESPN basically going broke paying for the NFL. Those tv deals are likely to get smalller not bigger. Means less revenue. Think the players or the owners are going to be cool with less cash? Think Goodell is going to navigate that dispute well? Last time it was Rooney and Mara who hammered out the deal that brought labor peace. Their both gone now. Anyone wanna bet me that Kraft and Jones hardline a lopsided deal and ram it down the players throats?

back to the topic at hand, Bryant is likely getting jerked around by the league because they can. Also, what in the blue hell does the NFL leafiest office know about clinical resources? From their extensive array of experienced medical and mental health professionals? Nonsense based on more league PR efforts to solidify the perception that he player has been punished and the league gives a shit about these guys.

You know, the same league and commish that defunded brain injury research.

AtlantaDan
08-06-2017, 01:44 PM
All pro teams are more important for Canton than Pro Bowls.

SB is not a necessary component either.

Lynn Swann and Terrell Davis certainly would not get in without Super Bowl wins - IMO neither should be in Canton given their brief periods of top shelf performance:behindsofa:

Swann had three All Conference or All Pro seasons (1975, 1977, 1978)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SwanLy00.htm

As far as Davis goes I guess Priest Holmes should soon be fittted for a gold jacket too

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Terrell Davis has played 8 playoffs games in his career and in his last 7 games, Davis has had at least 100 rushing yards.Maybe the best playoffs running back of all-time.

Davis was also NFL mvp and super bowl mvp once.

AtlantaDan
08-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Terrell Davis has played 8 playoffs games in his career and in his last 7 games, Davis has had at least 100 rushing yards.Maybe the best playoffs running back of all-time.

Davis was also NFL mvp and super bowl mvp once.

Or you can say Terrell Davis only appeared in the playoffs in three seasons - at what point do you need some longevity if it is not going to be the Hall Of Famous Super Bowl Winners?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

“The central issue was not, Was he a Hall of Fame performer in those three years?” says Ron Borges of the Boston Herald, who didn’t vote for Davis this year. “No one would dispute that.” The question was, Are three seasons of elite production enough to earn a bust in Canton? What about two seasons? Or one? Where is the line?"...

But looking ahead, some on the committee fear that Davis’s induction, which takes place on Saturday, will set an unwelcome precedent. There are dozens of star players who, like Davis, had their careers shortened due to injuries. As voter Rick Gosselin, a longtime writer for The Dallas Morning News, who voted for Davis, puts it, “Everybody’s going to [say], ‘Here are my three best seasons. Judge me on that.’ ”

Look at running back Priest Holmes’s three best years, for instance—with the Chiefs from 2001 to ’03, he had 456 more yards from scrimmage and eight more touchdowns than Davis had in his three-year stretch.

https://www.si.com/2017/08/01/pro-football-hall-fame-2017-induction-weekend-terrell-davis

Too bad for Priest Holmes he played with Trent Green and Todd Collins at QB rather than John Elway

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Or you can say Terrell Davis only appeared in the playoffs in three seasons - at what point do you need some longevity if it is not going to be the Hall Of Famous Super Bowl Winners?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm

“The central issue was not, Was he a Hall of Fame performer in those three years?” says Ron Borges of the Boston Herald, who didn’t vote for Davis this year. “No one would dispute that.” The question was, Are three seasons of elite production enough to earn a bust in Canton? What about two seasons? Or one? Where is the line?"...

But looking ahead, some on the committee fear that Davis’s induction, which takes place on Saturday, will set an unwelcome precedent. There are dozens of star players who, like Davis, had their careers shortened due to injuries. As voter Rick Gosselin, a longtime writer for The Dallas Morning News, who voted for Davis, puts it, “Everybody’s going to [say], ‘Here are my three best seasons. Judge me on that.’ ”

Look at running back Priest Holmes’s three best years, for instance—with the Chiefs from 2001 to ’03, he had 456 more yards from scrimmage and eight more touchdowns than Davis had in his three-year stretch.

https://www.si.com/2017/08/01/pro-football-hall-fame-2017-induction-weekend-terrell-davis

Too bad for Priest Holmes he played with Trent Green and Todd Collins at QB rather than John Elway

Of course, it takes luck sometimes, but Davis is in the HOF because of a few reasons.

3 time all-pro
Maybe the best RB ever in the playoffs in the super bowl era
1 MVP and a super bowl MVP

Holmes unfortunately for him was in the playoffs only once during his 3 years peak and he has never won the MVP(Maybe Holmes deserved to win the MVP in 2003, but he did not win.).That's the two big differences.

I have more problems with Joe Namath at the HOF than Davis.Namath is in the HOF because of one game.

And do you think Kurt Warner deserves to be in the HOF?

The next player that could be the HOF, but it could be controversy is Eli Manning.If Eli does nothing special for the rest of his career, it's going to be very interesting.

steelreserve
08-06-2017, 03:41 PM

Another thing that Goodell has absolutely nothing to do with. An owner decides to move and the other owners vote on it.

Also, how are relocation fees "making" the league any money? It's owners paying money to each other. It doesn't bring in any new money from outside.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVv9tHZUAAAx_4q.jpg

DesertSteel
08-06-2017, 04:18 PM

I didn't say that any of them "cared" about safety, but just that's why the rule changes were made.
Again, all aspects of the Pro Bowl are meaningless.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 04:25 PM
750 million in public money to build a stadium isn't new money?

The relocation fees will be split among the other 31 teams. Isn't that new money for each franchise?

Not quite sure what the Bernie Sanders meme has to do with anything.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 04:31 PM

The relocation fees will be split among the other 31 teams. Isn't that new money for each franchise?

Anyone who knows this,would have been able to do the same thing.It does not take a genius to do that!

A good commissioner is able to raise profits and improve the product on the field.

Unfortunately, the product on the field is not very good right now.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 04:38 PM
IMO you have failed to give quality evidence to support your "poor product on the field" statement. Im pretty sure you're just making up things to support your argument. Even though you know what you are stating isn't true you stand by it. Insane my friend.

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 05:03 PM
IMO you have failed to give quality evidence to support your "poor product on the field" statement. Im pretty sure you're just making up things to support your argument. Even though you know what you are stating isn't true you stand by it. Insane my friend.

If you think that the product on the field has improved Under Goodell with the many penalties, you are crazy.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/208399380/nfl-penalty-problem-referees-flags

DesertSteel
08-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Today's game is great football. Football in every era has been great.

Some folks are just anti-management. My bias is pro-management so I usually see things differently.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Agreed

Blaming anybody for Bryant's suspension and lack of swift reinstatement is just belly aching. It's not Goodell's fault it's not his agent or the organization. Bryant and Bryant alone had caused this entire situation. He knew the rules when he broke them.

steelreserve
08-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Not quite sure what the Bernie Sanders meme has to do with anything.

Relocation fees are paid by the owner who is moving the team, not by the city it moves to. One owner paying the other owners. You are not improving things by essentially charging yourself a fee and shuffling money around; you have not generated any new positive cash flow. If you are too dense too see the parallel between that and Bernie Sanders' ideas, then I really can't help you, but you would be doing everyone a favor if you don't vote.

As for public stadium financing, that's another thing that Goodell has zero to do with. That's all worked out between the individual owner and the new city he's moving to or the home city he's threatening, respectively. Nothing to do with the commissioner.

Hell, if you want to talk about business sense, that clown let the largest population center and largest TV market in the Western Hemisphere sit vacant for 20 years without any solid plan to do anything about it until a couple of the owners took it upon themselves to take action. Instead this dope had a hard-on for London and Mexico City and other places where football is played with a round ball and a goalie. Well, judging by where the owners actually moved their teams when real money was at stake, I guess that's a nice commentary on how much sense THAT little crusade made.

DesertSteel
08-06-2017, 06:20 PM
Agreed

Blaming anybody for Bryant's suspension and lack of swift reinstatement is just belly aching. It's not Goodell's fault it's not his agent or the organization. Bryant and Bryant alone had caused this entire situation. He knew the rules when he broke them.
Indeed. It's just indicative of the victim mentality that's taken over this country.

BurghBoy412
08-06-2017, 06:26 PM
Relocation fees are paid by the owner who is moving the team, not by the city it moves to. One owner paying the other owners. You are not improving things by essentially charging yourself a fee and shuffling money around; you have not generated any new positive cash flow. If you are too dense too see the parallel between that and Bernie Sanders' ideas, then I really can't help you, but you would be doing everyone a favor if you don't vote.

As for public stadium financing, that's another thing that Goodell has zero to do with. That's all worked out between the individual owner and the new city he's moving to or the home city he's threatening, respectively. Nothing to do with the commissioner.

Hell, if you want to talk about business sense, that clown let the largest population center and largest TV market in the Western Hemisphere sit vacant for 20 years without any solid plan to do anything about it until a couple of the owners took it upon themselves to take action. Instead this dope had a hard-on for London and Mexico City and other places where football is played with a round ball and a goalie. Well, judging by where the owners actually moved their teams when real money was at stake, I guess that's a nice commentary on how much sense THAT little crusade made.So if I read your bias correctly. Any good that is done, is done solely by the Owner's. Any bad that happens well then that all certainly falls squarely on the shoulders of Commissioner Goodell. I'm sure it's not that cut and dry. As I'm sure you and me alike don't really know what Roger does and doesn't have direct contact with. Speculatory argument that doesn't go anywhere.

teegre
08-06-2017, 06:30 PM
This situation reminds me of the episode of South Park where OJ Simpson, Gary Condit, and The Ramseys all went out to dinner... and blamed "some Puerto Rican guy" for their crimes.

(OJ = Bryant, Goodell = Condit, et cetera)

Iron Steeler
08-06-2017, 06:42 PM
this is getting ridiculous... reinstate the man!

AtlantaDan
08-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Of course, it takes luck sometimes, but Davis is in the HOF because of a few reasons.

3 time all-pro
Maybe the best RB ever in the playoffs in the super bowl era
1 MVP and a super bowl MVP

Holmes unfortunately for him was in the playoffs only once during his 3 years peak and he has never won the MVP(Maybe Holmes deserved to win the MVP in 2003, but he did not win.).That's the two big differences.

I have more problems with Joe Namath at the HOF than Davis.Namath is in the HOF because of one game.

And do you think Kurt Warner deserves to be in the HOF?

The next player that could be the HOF, but it could be controversy is Eli Manning.If Eli does nothing special for the rest of his career, it's going to be very interesting.

At least Warner had a second act with Arizona after the Greatest Show On Turf in St. Louis - I doubt Warner would make it solely on 3 great years in St Louis

IMO taking two different teams to the Super Bowl as a QB is impressive, just as a head coach taking different QBs to the Super Bowl is impressive

polamalubeast
08-06-2017, 06:56 PM
At least Warner had a second act with Arizona after the Greatest Show On Turf in St. Louis - I doubt Warner would make it solely on 3 great years in St Louis

IMO taking two different teams to the Super Bowl as a QB is impressive, just as a head coach taking different QBs to the Super Bowl is impressive

No doubt his 3 very good years with the Cards helped Warner.

Warner was one of my favorite QBs too.

- - - Updated - - -

For Martavis.....

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
08-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Another thing about Davis was how good actually was he or did the OL have a big part ? Portis had a huge year or two with the OL after Davis and without Elway at the helm. Heck even average Mike Anderson had a decent year after Portis with the OL

Dwinsgames
08-06-2017, 09:26 PM
I look at it quite differently than most I guess , I think the longer the game goes on the higher the bar should become ..

a good friend of mine Curtis Popejoy from Steelerswire has always said for the last 20 years do you want a hall of Fame or a hall of the very very good and that has always stuck with me

86WARD
08-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Goodell,has definitely made the owners money by lessening the on-field product via the Thursday night games. That's a whole new source of ad revenue that wasn't there before. He's cheapened the game, but the TV revenue will go up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DesertSteel
08-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Goodell,has definitely made the owners money by lessening the on-field product via the Thursday night games. That's a whole new source of ad revenue that wasn't there before. He's cheapened the game, but the TV revenue will go up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
So more games worsened the product? I love TNF. To each their own.

steelreserve
08-07-2017, 10:08 AM
So if I read your bias correctly. Any good that is done, is done solely by the Owner's. Any bad that happens well then that all certainly falls squarely on the shoulders of Commissioner Goodell. I'm sure it's not that cut and dry. As I'm sure you and me alike don't really know what Roger does and doesn't have direct contact with. Speculatory argument that doesn't go anywhere.

Actually, that's exactly correct except for the "bias" part. It's almost uncanny how exactly it follows the division of responsibilities. The big-picture decisions like team locations, TV contracts, labor agreements, revenue generation and sharing - that's all voted on by the owners. Goodell does the day-to-day housekeeping as far as policies related to the players and the game on the field; that's what a commissioner does. There is nothing unclear or mysterious about who does what.

So the business part of the league is going well, and funny thing, it's run by 30 billionaires who each made a fortune running a large-scale national company. The product on the field is run by a different person, and it's getting consistently more watered down, rule-crazy, and overall worse. Not hard to figure out.

So as far as an argument that doesn't go anywhere - I guess that could be true if you're talking to someone who simply doesn't understand the concept and refuses to acknowledge it when it's explained, but that doesn't really mean they're winning the argument. You need to have a point in order to do that.

AtlantaDan
08-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Given the pounding the players take, a player is in better shape with a week to recover between games. Diminished physical ability presumably leads to diminished performances - it may be a wash since both teams are banged up but it still adversely impacts the product.

It also dilutes the quality of the matchups for TV viewing when you have a Thursday night window to fill. That adversely impacts ratings, which down the road can impact future broadcast rights deals and could kill the golden goose.

This from John Madden

“What’s happens is there are not a lot of good teams, and they have too many windows to put these games in. When you think of an early Sunday window, a late Sunday window, a Sunday night window, a Monday night window, a Thursday night window. They all want good games, and there’s not enough good teams.

“Just look at the list of teams playing. It takes two. It’s not just one good team. You have to have two to have a great game, and there’s not a lot of great games. And we’re spreading it out more and more with fewer good teams, which makes it doggone impossible to have good games. If the games aren’t good, that’s part of it. Now there are other things: the Millennials, iPhone, and the stuff people do as they live differently.

“Something has to be done about Thursday night football. It just doesn’t work. It’s not only a fan thing, it’s a team thing. It’s a safety thing. It’s a competitive thing. It doesn’t work. I know about money, and I know about business. Maybe you have to tweak stuff a little more. To help teams, maybe you get a bye the week before.

“On Thanksgiving, Washington has to travel to Dallas to play in Dallas, and they played Sunday night. That’s wrong. That’s an oops. You play a team on Sunday night and make them travel and play on Thursday. I remember in my coaching days, as players get older, it takes them longer to heal up from a Sunday game, and guys weren’t ready to play until Thursday or Friday.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/john-madden-nfl-thursday-night-football-bad-perfect-solutionhttp://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/23/john-madden-talks-thanksgiving-his-health-raiders-rise-49ers-fall-nfl-tv-ratings/

And this from Richard Sherman

Thursday
Game day. This is what you live for. But this time, your body isn’t ready. You’re still sore from Sunday’s game. You’re going to go out there and compete and give everything you have, because that’s what you do. But your body just won’t have as much to give as it would have had on a full week’s rest.

That’s why the quality of play has been so poor on Thursday nights this season....

Thursday Night Football is just another example of the NFL’s hypocrisy: The league will continue a practice that diminishes the on-field product and endangers its players, but as long as the dollars keep rolling in, it couldn’t care less.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-seahawks-thursday-night-football/
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/21/9582876/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-thursday-tnf-complaints

BurghBoy412
08-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Actually, that's exactly correct except for the "bias" part. It's almost uncanny how exactly it follows the division of responsibilities. The big-picture decisions like team locations, TV contracts, labor agreements, revenue generation and sharing - that's all voted on by the owners. Goodell does the day-to-day housekeeping as far as policies related to the players and the game on the field; that's what a commissioner does. There is nothing unclear or mysterious about who does what.

So the business part of the league is going well, and funny thing, it's run by 30 billionaires who each made a fortune running a large-scale national company. The product on the field is run by a different person, and it's getting consistently more watered down, rule-crazy, and overall worse. Not hard to figure out.

So as far as an argument that doesn't go anywhere - I guess that could be true if you're talking to someone who simply doesn't understand the concept and refuses to acknowledge it when it's explained, but that doesn't really mean they're winning the argument. You need to have a point in order to do that.Aren't the rule changes voted on by the Owner's as well? I thought it was Goodells job to implement and enforce those rules which have been voted on by the Owner's. Why is he then the "bad guy" for enforcing the rules laid down by the people whom he is employed?

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Remember in 2011 when the Eagles played in Seattle on a Thursday night, it was a pathetic move by the league.

In the same year, the Jets had played on a Sunday night and the game after they played in Denver on a Thursday night.:doh2:

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 11:22 AM
The 49ers had played in Baltimore on a thursday night in 2011 too.

DesertSteel
08-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Given the pounding the players take, a player is in better shape with a week to recover between games. Diminished physical ability presumably leads to diminished performances - it may be a wash since both teams are banged up but it still adversely impacts the product.

It also dilutes the quality of the matchups for TV viewing when you have a Thursday night window to fill. That adversely impacts ratings, which down the road can impact future broadcast rights deals and could kill the golden goose.

This from John Madden

“What’s happens is there are not a lot of good teams, and they have too many windows to put these games in. When you think of an early Sunday window, a late Sunday window, a Sunday night window, a Monday night window, a Thursday night window. They all want good games, and there’s not enough good teams.

“Just look at the list of teams playing. It takes two. It’s not just one good team. You have to have two to have a great game, and there’s not a lot of great games. And we’re spreading it out more and more with fewer good teams, which makes it doggone impossible to have good games. If the games aren’t good, that’s part of it. Now there are other things: the Millennials, iPhone, and the stuff people do as they live differently.

“Something has to be done about Thursday night football. It just doesn’t work. It’s not only a fan thing, it’s a team thing. It’s a safety thing. It’s a competitive thing. It doesn’t work. I know about money, and I know about business. Maybe you have to tweak stuff a little more. To help teams, maybe you get a bye the week before.

“On Thanksgiving, Washington has to travel to Dallas to play in Dallas, and they played Sunday night. That’s wrong. That’s an oops. You play a team on Sunday night and make them travel and play on Thursday. I remember in my coaching days, as players get older, it takes them longer to heal up from a Sunday game, and guys weren’t ready to play until Thursday or Friday.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/11/john-madden-nfl-thursday-night-football-bad-perfect-solutionhttp://www.mercurynews.com/2016/11/23/john-madden-talks-thanksgiving-his-health-raiders-rise-49ers-fall-nfl-tv-ratings/

And this from Richard Sherman

Thursday
Game day. This is what you live for. But this time, your body isn’t ready. You’re still sore from Sunday’s game. You’re going to go out there and compete and give everything you have, because that’s what you do. But your body just won’t have as much to give as it would have had on a full week’s rest.

That’s why the quality of play has been so poor on Thursday nights this season....

Thursday Night Football is just another example of the NFL’s hypocrisy: The league will continue a practice that diminishes the on-field product and endangers its players, but as long as the dollars keep rolling in, it couldn’t care less.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/richard-sherman-seahawks-thursday-night-football/
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/21/9582876/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-thursday-tnf-complaints

There's always arguments to be made for both sides of any issue. I like TNF and will continue to enjoy it. If someone doesn't like it, I suggest that when the Steelers play the Titans on Thursday, November 16th that they don't watch.

Dwinsgames
08-07-2017, 12:05 PM
There's always arguments to be made for both sides of any issue. I like TNF and will continue to enjoy it. If someone doesn't like it, I suggest that when the Steelers play the Titans on Thursday, November 16th that they don't watch.

its not about that .... I would watch Monday through Sunday if they played daily , but that does not mean they should

AtlantaDan
08-07-2017, 12:11 PM

I was simply responding to your observation

FWIW I find I am watching fewer games outside of the playoffs other than Steelers games and I have been watching since the 60s while betting since the 80s. The NFL has to be nervous about the decline in ratings.

Thanks for the suggestion on what games to watch :drink:

DesertSteel
08-07-2017, 12:21 PM
I was simply responding to your observation

FWIW I find I am watching fewer games outside of the playoffs other than Steelers games and I have been watching since the 60s while betting since the 80s. The NFL has to be nervous about the decline in ratings.

Thanks for the suggestion on what games to watch :drink:

I'm probably watching fewer too, although I would never miss a Steelers game if it is on. Life just gets too busy. I must say that I only watch a fraction of games LIVE. Mostly, I'm on DVR. It's much nicer.

- - - Updated - - -

its not about that .... I would watch Monday through Sunday if they played daily , but that does not mean they should
There's nothing about this game that screams "They should!" Nothing about it is good for humanity. That's not why we watch.

BlackAndGold
08-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Getting rid of TNF should be something the NFL looks into. Maybe they can keep having games on Thanksgiving, but the teams both would be heading into a bye week, or coming off one.

Unless it's the Steelers that is playing, I never watch TNF.

Where this safety issue is headed, I could see the season being stretched out, and the NFL could give teams two bye weeks instead of just one.

AtlantaDan
08-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Getting rid of TNF should be something the NFL looks into. Maybe they can keep having games on Thanksgiving, but the teams both would be heading into a bye week, or coming off one.

Unless it's the Steelers that is playing, I never watch TNF.

Where this safety issue is headed, I could see the season being stretched out, and the NFL could give teams two bye weeks instead of just one.

A second bye week under the guise of safety might be a way to help with the sale of the next rights deals since Goodell's plan to expand the regular season to 18 games appears to be dead and the networks may be reaching the point they will not pay more for the same quantity of product. At some point ESPN in particular has to wonder why it is paying so much for lousy Monday night schedules while it is bleeding cord cutting subscribers.

DesertSteel
08-07-2017, 12:59 PM
We could get rid of MNF too!

BurghBoy412
08-07-2017, 01:21 PM
We could get rid of MNF too!Still chaps my ass they moved it to cable only.

steelreserve
08-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Aren't the rule changes voted on by the Owner's as well? I thought it was Goodells job to implement and enforce those rules which have been voted on by the Owner's. Why is he then the "bad guy" for enforcing the rules laid down by the people whom he is employed?

For the same reason why there are good cops and bad cops, good lawyers and bad lawyers, good managers and bad mangers, even though they're all enforcing the same rules. The upper management hands the middle management general direction, and as a middle manager, Goodell has discretion over how the policies play out in the real world, and his handling of that has been abysmal.

Take the player conduct policy. The intention was to clean up the players' problems with drugs and arrests and therefore improve the league's image; instead, the way Goodell handles it, there is the same amount of drug use and off-the-field bullshit, only more attention is drawn to it.

Or the player safety issue. The way Goodell has handled the on-field part of it has done nothing to reduce the number of concussions, but results in essentially random, often game-changing penalties, essentially random fines and suspensions, and shifted a lot of fans' focus less from an amazing play on the field to whether there are any flags or any reason to bitch about the rules. He took a general directive to make the game safer, and he didn't make the game safer but brought us Lawyerball instead.

That's the kind of crap that goes on with him on a regular basis. Basically any situation like this he's bungled completely.

DesertSteel
08-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Concussions are way down from years past. Back then, they weren't reported. They said "I got my bell rung." Then they'd go right back in.

Mojouw
08-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Concussions are way down from years past. Back then, they weren't reported. They said "I got my bell rung." Then they'd go right back in.
It is still the same # of concussions. You are right that they get reported.

And teams bend bend that rule all the time. Cam Newton was a prominent example recently.

Goodell is the worst head of a major sports league in some time. The NFL succeeds in spite of him, not because of him.

In the next 5-10 years the NFL will start to contract, at least financially. They have product tied to live TV - something no one is watching anymore. Unless they can figure out how to adapt to a streaming on demand digital world, their primary revenue source is on shaky ground. Anything Goodell has ever done give you faith that he is a bold and innnovative leader?

steelreserve
08-07-2017, 04:03 PM

See, that's the thing. The sideline medical stuff, improving awareness of it among the players and coaches so there's not all that "macho" pressure to get back in the game - that's the kind of stuff that helps. Hell, how many players have retired early because the risks got too high? That wouldn't happen 20 years ago.

What does NOT help with concussions are 500 pages of rules about the action on the field. You need exactly ONE rule: "No deliberately hitting people in the head."

Everything beyond that is just a clusterfuck of arbitrary penalties, and no one is any safer. Because fundamentally, when you have one guy whose job is to tackle someone, and another guy whose job is to avoid being tackled, people WILL collide and they will collide violently, and sometimes that means they WILL bonk heads no matter what you do. If anything, it adds a split-second of hesitation into decision-making, and in contact sports, that's a recipe for people making awkward movements and getting hurt.

In the next 5-10 years the NFL will start to contract, at least financially. They have product tied to live TV - something no one is watching anymore. Unless they can figure out how to adapt to a streaming on demand digital world, their primary revenue source is on shaky ground. Anything Goodell has ever done give you faith that he is a bold and innnovative leader?

Amazingly enough, the sports league that's way ahead of all the rest on this is Major League Baseball. They've been experimenting with all kinds of digital packages and stuff for probably 10+ years. Even though they're probably one of the least "in-demand" and least exciting sports to watch on TV, they're at least well on their way to figuring this out.

Without a doubt, when the bottom finally falls out of live sports as an anchor for cable TV, it won't be long before MLB stabilizes at whatever the "new normal" is. And without a doubt, whatever the NFL comes out with is going to be some ham-handed, my-way-or-the-highway deal just like everything else, and they'll try to force it down people's throats and won't get the reaction they were hoping for. Nothing lasts forever, and when you get too comfortable at the top, the fall is even harder.

86WARD
08-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Thursday Night Football is a lesser product. So yes it's "worsened". I like it, but I like all football. I'll watch high school football on whatever night but NFL TNF is a lesser product than Sunday Football. Even the ratings have shown there's not a lot of interest in the TNF games. You aren't seeing full squads play, they are playing sloppy lopsided football on short weeks. It's not as good a product.

st33lersguy
08-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Thursday Night Football is a lesser product. So yes it's "worsened". I like it, but I like all football. I'll watch high school football on whatever night but NFL TNF is a lesser product than Sunday Football. Even the ratings have shown there's not a lot of interest in the TNF games. You aren't seeing full squads play, they are playing sloppy lopsided football on short weeks. It's not as good a product.

Add to the fact that the NFL trots out the 49ers, Browns, Jaguars, and Rams because of the brilliant idea to have every team on primetime. Seriously, it is a lesser product that the players don't even want

tube517
08-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Ratings were garbage last year. Now, there is no election this year so they can't use that excuse.

Having it every Thursday was a terrible idea. The holiday and late season TNF were fine but not every week.

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 06:39 PM
I was wrong a bit when I said Goodell deserves no credit for the profits.But he sacrifices the product to increase the profits like 86Ward said.

The thursday night game are so horrible, that often several teams play their worst game of their season in this game.

Goodell do not care about the players safety, if this is not the case, why does Goodell put the players at risk for a Thursday night games?

Why did he want a season of 18 games not too long ago?....It would have only increased the injury, a season of 18 games!

- - - Updated - - -

Ratings were garbage last year. Now, there is no election this year so they can't use that excuse.

Having it every Thursday was a terrible idea. The holiday and late season TNF were fine but not every week.

I preferred to have football on Saturday in December when he had no college football.This was the case for several years before Goodell is the commissioner.

The TNF have always been horrible.This is one of the reasons why I am not harsh like the others for the game of the steelers against the Browns in 2009.

DesertSteel
08-07-2017, 09:04 PM
It is still the same # of concussions. You are right that they get reported.

And teams bend bend that rule all the time. Cam Newton was a prominent example recently.

Goodell is the worst head of a major sports league in some time. The NFL succeeds in spite of him, not because of him.

As for commissioners, the other two are pretty new on the job. I'd say that Goodell was better than Selig.

tube517
08-08-2017, 06:04 AM
I was wrong a bit when I said Goodell deserves no credit for the profits.But he sacrifices the product to increase the profits like 86Ward said.

The thursday night game are so horrible, that often several teams play their worst game of their season in this game.

Goodell do not care about the players safety, if this is not the case, why does Goodell put the players at risk for a Thursday night games?

Why did he want a season of 18 games not too long ago?....It would have only increased the injury, a season of 18 games!

- - - Updated - - -

I preferred to have football on Saturday in December when he had no college football.This was the case for several years before Goodell is the commissioner.

The TNF have always been horrible.This is one of the reasons why I am not harsh like the others for the game of the steelers against the Browns in 2009.

I agree 100%, PB.

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Goodell is the WORST commissioner of a major sport I have ever seen. I'm almost 40.

Selig has taken it in the teeth for a few things, but has brought labor peace, expansion, dragged MLB kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and his sport is seeing a renaissance of late.

Goodell's tenure has featured the following:

a wing of players in open rebellion against the league office's conduct policies

franchises callously abandoning fan bases simply to get their billionaire owners stadium sweetheart deals that will hurt their new cities financially

introduced rule changes that make little to no sense (does anyone know what a catch is?)

paid transparent lip service to brain injuries/CTE but actually have not done one single thing that will really make a difference

consistently made decisions that are focused on PR rather than helping players

made zero substantive efforts to prepare the game for the streaming/digital/smartphone era - in other words when the next TV deal goes down (and it will) where does the cash come from?

the commish talks about protecting the shield and player safety - but he dilutes the brand by forcing teams to play Thursday games on 3 days rest (ALL measurements indicate that Thursday contests are worse than Sundays - points, penalties, yards, injuries --- just pick one) and actively discusses adding 2 games to schedule which ALL players are against and most studies predict will sharply increase injuries. But the same commish refuses to discuss eliminate preseason games, expanding rosters, and/or adding bye weeks.

transition of NFL ownership from the "old guard" who actually gave a shit about the health of the league to a new order of owners who just want to boos their egos (only so many NFL Franchises exist so an exclusive club) and prioritize profits over the league/players/fans (Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson almost destroyed the NFL in the last CBA - who saves things now with now elder Rooney and Mara around?)

This list is already too long and boring to read. I would like to say that this is not only my opinion - but everything on this list has been written about extensively by others who get paid to think and write about the NFL. Bottom line, Goodell has only been saved by the fact that the NFL currently makes so much money that it hides his almost totally inept approach to his job.

86WARD
08-08-2017, 10:57 AM
The fact that they put Titans/Jags on TNF and it gets record low ratings and they turn around and do it again...come on.

polamalubeast
08-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Goodell is the WORST commissioner of a major sport I have ever seen. I'm almost 40.

Selig has taken it in the teeth for a few things, but has brought labor peace, expansion, dragged MLB kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and his sport is seeing a renaissance of late.

a wing of players in open rebellion against the league office's conduct policies

franchises callously abandoning fan bases simply to get their billionaire owners stadium sweetheart deals that will hurt their new cities financially

introduced rule changes that make little to no sense (does anyone know what a catch is?)

paid transparent lip service to brain injuries/CTE but actually have not done one single thing that will really make a difference

made zero substantive efforts to prepare the game for the streaming/digital/smartphone era - in other words when the next TV deal goes down (and it will) where does the cash come from?

the commish talks about protecting the shield and player safety - but he dilutes the brand by forcing teams to play Thursday games on 3 days rest (ALL measurements indicate that Thursday contests are worse than Sundays - points, penalties, yards, injuries --- just pick one) and actively discusses adding 2 games to schedule which ALL players are against and most studies predict will sharply increase injuries. But the same commish refuses to discuss eliminate preseason games, expanding rosters, and/or adding bye weeks.

transition of NFL ownership from the "old guard" who actually gave a shit about the health of the league to a new order of owners who just want to boos their egos (only so many NFL Franchises exist so an exclusive club) and prioritize profits over the league/players/fans (Jerry Jones and Jerry Richardson almost destroyed the NFL in the last CBA - who saves things now with now elder Rooney and Mara around?)

This list is already too long and boring to read. I would like to say that this is not only my opinion - but everything on this list has been written about extensively by others who get paid to think and write about the NFL. Bottom line, Goodell has only been saved by the fact that the NFL currently makes so much money that it hides his almost totally inept approach to his job.

A+++

DesertSteel
08-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Well I like player contracts being non-guaranteed. Teams paying for injured players and strapping the cap for 2-3 years would be woeful. What do you prefer: No cap like baseball where small markets have to give up their talent or be like the NBA where guys who average 12 points make more than Big Ben? I'll take the NFL - and Goodell gets credit for that.

polamalubeast
08-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Well I like player contracts being non-guaranteed. Teams paying for injured players and strapping the cap for 2-3 years would be woeful. What do you prefer: No cap like baseball where small markets have to give up their talent or be like the NBA where guys who average 12 points make more than Big Ben? I'll take the NFL - and Goodell gets credit for that.

The MLB has as much or more parity than the NFL right now.

And it's not Goodell who installed the salary cap in the NFL....

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Not at all. The salary cap was fist instituted in the NFL for the 1994 season during Taglibue's tenure as NFL commish. The non-guaranteed structure, the basic formulas used to calculate the cap ceiling, and the timeline for computing which contracts count on which cap year have essentially stayed the same since Tag's era.

All Goodell's tenure has seen is labor strife where the new style owners tried to shaft the players, the introduction of a salary floor, and a rookie wage scale. Even the salary floor and the rookie wage scale are attempts by the owners to shift the equation back to their favor. It essentially means that each team pays 2-4 guys stupid amounts of money, 5-7 guys staggering amounts of money, and then 46-43 guys the lowest amount of money that the CBA allows.

Maybe this isn't all on Goodell, as Atlanta Dan pointed out the NFLPA is simply awful. But still -- Goodell's tenure is one of the prioritization of short-term profits over long-term labor peace and stability. I honestly believe that we better all watch as much NFL as we can in the next 5 years or so because this thing is going down in flames within the decade.

DesertSteel
08-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Not at all. The salary cap was fist instituted in the NFL for the 1994 season during Taglibue's tenure as NFL commish. The non-guaranteed structure, the basic formulas used to calculate the cap ceiling, and the timeline for computing which contracts count on which cap year have essentially stayed the same since Tag's era.

All Goodell's tenure has seen is labor strife where the new style owners tried to shaft the players, the introduction of a salary floor, and a rookie wage scale. Even the salary floor and the rookie wage scale are attempts by the owners to shift the equation back to their favor. It essentially means that each team pays 2-4 guys stupid amounts of money, 5-7 guys staggering amounts of money, and then 46-43 guys the lowest amount of money that the CBA allows.

Maybe this isn't all on Goodell, as Atlanta Dan pointed out the NFLPA is simply awful. But still -- Goodell's tenure is one of the prioritization of short-term profits over long-term labor peace and stability. I honestly believe that we better all watch as much NFL as we can in the next 5 years or so because this thing is going down in flames within the decade.
You see it as the players getting shafted, but I see it as good management. We're each entitled to our view.

- - - Updated - - -

The MLB has as much or more parity than the NFL right now.

And it's not Goodell who installed the salary cap in the NFL....
It's cyclical and I really don't think your statement is based in fact anyway. My point about MLB isn't that small market teams can't be good; it was that they ultimately have to give their players away because they can't afford to keep them.

AtlantaDan
08-08-2017, 01:11 PM
We could get rid of MNF too!

The NFL is not getting rid of it but getting ESPN to overpay $1.9 billion again for a crap schedule may be going away

ESPN gets a less-impactful schedule than NBC (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/business/companies/nbc_universal/index.html?inline=nyt-org)’s “Sunday Night Football.”

ESPN never gets a Super Bowl and only began to carry a single annual playoff game in 2015.

ESPN lacks the flex rights of NBC, which can swap a suboptimal matchup for one that is more promising on CBS or Fox....

For that lesser deal ESPN pays the N.F.L. $1.9 billion annually, nearly twice what any of its network rivals shells out. Yes, the contract includes the extremely valuable video and highlights rights that sustain the network’s numerous programs and platforms, as well as the draft and other goodies. But it hardly seems like a bargain.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/sports/football/monday-night-football-tv-ratings-espn.html

What will the NFL want from ESPN for Monday Night Football in 2021? More money, right? The NFL has gotten used to television revenue only going up. Even if, as is the case this year, its Monday Night Football ratings are plummeting. Will ESPN be able to afford to keep the NFL and pay more money despite having lost nearly 30% of its subscriber base in the ten years of the existing MNF contract? That seems highly unlikely doesn’t it? But can ESPN exist as a network without NFL games? Remember, it’s not just the NFL games, it’s all the ancillary content that ESPN builds around the NFL games, think about the hours of studio programming that ESPN devotes to pro football. ESPN justifies its sky high cost per month to cable and satellite companies based on the games it provides exclusively on cable, can ESPN extract an increase in subscriber fees from cable and satellite companies when its deals expire without the NFL games? So how much more money will the NFL be able to extract from ESPN? Or will this be the moment in time when the entire sports industry finally realizes that the bubble has popped?

This is the biggest contract to watch in sports, will ESPN bend to economic reality or will Disney let the worldwide leader in sports spend money it doesn’t have?

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2016/11/two-great-stories-on-why-the-nfl-and-espn-are-struggling.html

polamalubeast
08-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Goodell is so....

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Not trying to question your opinion, DesertSteel, but I am honestly curious.

How is a major labor dispute with an associated work stoppage good management?

The 2011 "lock-out" was the longest labor stoppage in NFL history. The NFLPA hates the deal so much (mostly because they didn't take the time to understand what they were signing) that they have already said that the next CBA negotiations are going to be tricky.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/01/25/nflpa-theres-not-gonna-be-an-extension-of-the-cba-without-changes/?utm_term=.7facbc30cf43

AtlantaDan
08-08-2017, 06:48 PM

The 2011 "lock-out" was the longest labor stoppage in NFL history. The NFLPA hates the deal so much (mostly because they didn't take the time to understand what they were signing) that they have already said that the next CBA negotiations are going to be tricky.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/01/25/nflpa-theres-not-gonna-be-an-extension-of-the-cba-without-changes/?utm_term=.7facbc30cf43

It may not be nice but it can bend the players to the will of management

By coincidence Joe Starkey of the Post-Gazette wrote this today regarding a work stoppage in another sport that has been of great benefit to another Pittsburgh team

[Penguns owners] Lemieux and Burkle would have been doomed without a salary cap in the NHL.... Just go back and listen to Lemieux after the Penguins won the Cup in Nashville. “The salary cap gave us a chance to spend to the cap and be on level playing fields with the other teams,” he said, “We couldn’t compete with the Rangers and L.A. and the big markets, and Chicago and Detroit.”

That is why Lemieux and the other NHL owners, to their eternal credit, were willing to turn out the lights on a full season in order to get what they wanted.
Always remember: No cap = No Cups.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2017/08/08/mario-lemieux-ron-burkle-pirates-owner-bob-nutting-joe-starkey-mailbag/stories/201708080092

The last NBA work stoppage in 2011, which took 16 games off the regular season schedule, also turned out pretty well for the owners

Six weary figures rose from their chairs early Saturday morning, their expressions telegraphing the conclusion to the N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org)’s five-month labor crisis: Basketball is back in business, with a new labor deal that heavily favors the owners, despite some last-minute concessions.

The league wanted an overhaul of its $4-billion-a-year enterprise, and it got it, with a nearly $300 million annual reduction in player salaries and a matrix of new restrictions on contracts and team payrolls. The changes mean a $3 billion gain for the owners over the life of the 10-year deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/sports/basketball/nba-and-basketball-players-reach-deal-to-end-lockout.html

As far as the next CBA negotiations being tricky, the NFL owners are in it for the long term while most players are expendable and looking at very short careers, which puts the NFLPA in a difficult negotiating position

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 06:59 PM
It may not be nice but it can bend the players to the will of management

By coincidence Joe Starkey of the Post-Gazette wrote this today regarding a work stoppage in another sport that has been of great benefit to another Pittsburgh team

[Penguns owners] Lemieux and Burkle would have been doomed without a salary cap in the NHL.... Just go back and listen to Lemieux after the Penguins won the Cup in Nashville. “The salary cap gave us a chance to spend to the cap and be on level playing fields with the other teams,” he said, “We couldn’t compete with the Rangers and L.A. and the big markets, and Chicago and Detroit.”

That is why Lemieux and the other NHL owners, to their eternal credit, were willing to turn out the lights on a full season in order to get what they wanted.
Always remember: No cap = No Cups.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/joe-starkey/2017/08/08/mario-lemieux-ron-burkle-pirates-owner-bob-nutting-joe-starkey-mailbag/stories/201708080092

The last NBA work stoppage in 2011, which took 16 games off the regular season schedule, also turned out pretty well for the owners

Six weary figures rose from their chairs early Saturday morning, their expressions telegraphing the conclusion to the N.B.A. (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_basketball_association/index.html?inline=nyt-org)’s five-month labor crisis: Basketball is back in business, with a new labor deal that heavily favors the owners, despite some last-minute concessions.

The league wanted an overhaul of its $4-billion-a-year enterprise, and it got it, with a nearly $300 million annual reduction in player salaries and a matrix of new restrictions on contracts and team payrolls. The changes mean a $3 billion gain for the owners over the life of the 10-year deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/sports/basketball/nba-and-basketball-players-reach-deal-to-end-lockout.html

As far as the next CBA negotiations being tricky, the NFL owners are in it for the long term while most players are expendable and looking at very short careers, which puts the NFLPA in a difficult negotiating position

It certainly can. It can also bend the owners to the will of the players. I get that it is a legitimate tool by both sides (lock-out or strike) but, for me, the mark of good management is to get an agreement in place that is acceptable to both sides (employers and employees) before the negotiations turn so toxic that a work stoppage comes down from either side.

It won't go that way because the NFLPA is about the worst union I am aware of. They rarely understand the needs to their members, do not anticipate changes in the market, and fail to fully understand the implications of what they are agreeing to. Overall, the NFLPA works out really really well for "star" players and kinda takes it in the teeth for everyone else.

AtlantaDan
08-08-2017, 07:20 PM
It certainly can. It can also bend the owners to the will of the players. I get that it is a legitimate tool by both sides (lock-out or strike) but, for me, the mark of good management is to get an agreement in place that is acceptable to both sides (employers and employees) before the negotiations turn so toxic that a work stoppage comes down from either side.

It depends what either side thinks is a necessary component of an acceptable deal - the NHL owners thought a salary cap was an essential component of any acceptable deal and the players did not come around to that view until a season was lost

Same principle applies in litigation - almost all cases settle but sometimes you cannot get to a deal because some points cannot be negotiated away and the parties end up in court or (more likely these days in civil matters) binding arbitration

DesertSteel
08-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Non-guaranteed contracts for a contact violent sport is good management. The players get compensated well and the teams aren't on the hook for injured players beyond guaranteed money.

How many games were lost in 2011?

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Non-guaranteed contracts for a contact violent sport is good management. The players get compensated well and the teams aren't on the hook for injured players beyond guaranteed money.

How many games were lost in 2011?

Good point. I just feel that under Goodell the NFL offices lurch from crisis to crisis with inconsistent and seemingly incoherent responses.

Make a plan and then work the plan. Grabbing ideas out of the air is not managing anything.

Now that's just what it looks like to me. Il so far outside the situation and ignorant of all the variables. Maybe there is far more details and depth than what I'm realizing.

But look at any aspect of the player conduct stuff. No consistent rulings. No two domestic violence issues have been handled the same. Bounty gate and spygate and deflategate all had apparently randomly set levels of consequences.

Good management is proactive and forward tginking. Not reactive and almost totally dependent on public perception. If that Ray Rice stuff never came out to the media, the league wasn't going to do squat. Knee jerk reaction to public opinion.

Kap situation is another example. His actions and statements are offensive to some and potentially inappropriate but are still protected speech. Why nothing from the league on this?

Sticking your finger in the air and gauging the wind on everything is not managing it's politics.

No one has to agree with me on this nor does it mean any of this is more than my own flawed opinions. Jusry point of view.

DesertSteel
08-08-2017, 11:13 PM
Kap situation is another example. His actions and statements are offensive to some and potentially inappropriate but are still protected speech. Why nothing from the league on this?

The league never once intervened or penalized Kap for his protests. Did you know that it's against the rules not to stand for the anthem in the NBA? The league can't force a team to sign him. If they did, people would bad mouth the league office for that.

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 11:53 PM
The league never once intervened or penalized Kap for his protests. Did you know that it's against the rules not to stand for the anthem in the NBA? The league can't force a team to sign him. If they did, people would bad mouth the league office for that.

That's my point. The NBA proactively formulated a policy that managed the behavior of its teams and employees.

I'm contrast the NFL has futzed around trying to find a non existent middle ground. Either publicly back the employees ability to protest/not participate in the anthem or bar them from doing so. Take a position and stick to it.

The NFL waffles around on everything. Rice was punished at one level, AP at another, and Tyreek Hill not at all. In fact he was marketed by the league on the paper thin excuse that it happened in college.

The problem I have is not the individual specifics - each situation could be debated for eternity. What I do not characterize as management or leadership is THE NFLs consistently inconsistent policies, their reactive public stances, and their total lack of transparency and predictability for the teams and players.

Each fans mileage may vary and I honestly enjoy the discussion.

Mojouw
08-08-2017, 11:59 PM
To bring this back around to the thread topic.

Anyone, including the Steelers, actually understand what is or is not going on with Bryant?

I've been out of the loop for the last week or so but from what I've read no one outside of the league has the foggiest idea of what's going on.

That seems random and capricious. Not planned and managed.

AtlantaDan
08-09-2017, 06:39 AM
To bring this back around to the thread topic.

Anyone, including the Steelers, actually understand what is or is not going on with Bryant?

I've been out of the loop for the last week or so but from what I've read no one outside of the league has the foggiest idea of what's going on.

That seems random and capricious. Not planned and managed.

No further clarification on what is going on

This from Colbert yesterday

“There’s nothing we can do to intervene,” Colbert said. “Once it reached the stage it reached with the year-long suspension, it’s totally between he and the league. All we can do is abide by the rules and follow them and support him. We’ll let him do what he can do and hope that it is resolved to the league’s satisfaction and we can all move on.”

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170808/colbert_steelers_getting_ready_with_or_without_bel l

This from P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo

I don't know the entire story. Bryant hasn't done any interviews since camp started. But I'm hearing the NFL is to blame for at least part of this. Perhaps not all but some. Either way, you would have thought the Steelers and the NFL would have had this all worked out before camp started.

P-G is sticking with its claim of reinstatement this week

What makes Dulac think Bryant will be reinstated this week? There's conflicting reports from the Steelers and NFL, and Goodell is known for flexing his muscles for no reason.
Ray Fittipaldo: Gerry said he had a source. Plus, he had his pads on Friday night. He thought he was cleared before being told he could not take part. Clearly, he is close.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/08/07/Ray-Fittipaldo-Steelers-chat-8-7-17/stories/201708070070

86WARD
08-09-2017, 09:14 AM
It's ridiculous that it's taken this long. If he has everything in to the league, the review should be started, completed and Bryant should be either on the field or the Steelers should be told why he isn't on the field. What a joke.

BlackAndGold
08-09-2017, 12:54 PM
This is getting ridiculous, he was suspended for the 2016 season, nothing more.

Let him on the field.

DesertSteel
08-09-2017, 01:02 PM
It's ridiculous that it's taken this long. If he has everything in to the league, the review should be started, completed and Bryant should be either on the field or the Steelers should be told why he isn't on the field. What a joke.
How do we know that he does have everything in to the league and also submitted when it was due. If he missed his deadline that could be causing the delay. Bryant has no benefit of the doubt with me.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 02:30 PM

FreeMartavis

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827494/article/martavis-bryants-reinstatement-could-be-days-away?campaign=tw-articleshare

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:07 PM

FreeMartavis

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827494/article/martavis-bryants-reinstatement-could-be-days-away?campaign=tw-articleshareAs I suspected. Looks like Mr. Bryant is having a problem handling his responsibilities. How hard is it to set up counseling sessions? IT'S NOT!! It'll just be a matter of time till he's back in hot water. Some will give him the benefit of the doubt. I do not. For all he's worth on the field its obvious to me this guy is a moron off the field. Just another dumb football player that wouldn't have shit if he couldn't play. How about you keep your dumbass off social media out of the public eye pick up a book and learn how to be accountable for yourself. This guy may be one of the biggest losers this team has ever put a Jersey on.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Bryant is dumb, but everyone deserves a second chance and Bryant knows it's his last chance.

DesertSteel
08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Hard to believe that Bryant was in any part responsible for this delay! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, it's just a matter of time before this knucklehead screws up again.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Bryant is dumb, but everyone deserves a second chance and Bryant knows it's his last chance.He's obviously treating it with a great level of seriousness! Haha this dude looks like a fool once again. Let's on pile on Goodell though. Bryan is a discrace to the proud Steeler franchise.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:19 PM
I wonder why guys like Hines Ward , John Stallworth , and Lynn Swann never had problems like Bryant? Maybe they actually cared about their legacy.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:24 PM
I wonder why guys like Hines Ward , John Stallworth , and Lynn Swann never had problems like Bryant? Maybe they actually cared about their legacy.

It's impossible to have 53 smarts players in a locker room.

If this idiot helps the steelers to win this year, I'll be happy like when I was happy when another dumb player who also wore the number 10 helped us in 2008.

AtlantaDan
08-09-2017, 03:25 PM
More from the Rapoport story

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the twice-suspended receiver is simply "waiting for the doctors and the counselors, people who saw him, to hand in their letters, get the paperwork cleared with the NFL, have the league process that, and then make him officially conditionally reinstated." ....

Rapoport reported that part of the hold up on Bryant was the setting up of counseling sessions, which have now been taken care of.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827494/article/martavis-bryants-reinstatement-could-be-days-away

I stand by my contention this is on the agent as well. Bryant may have forgotten to show up for the counseling sessions, but these sessions should have been set up by the agent months ago when Bryant applied for reinstatement - that is a job players staff out to their hired help.

The only appointment Bryant could be trusted to set up for himself is a drug buy.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:26 PM
It's impossible to have 53 smarts players in a locker room.

If this idiot helps the steelers to win this year, I'll be happy like when I was happy when another dumb player who also wore the number 10 helped us in 2008.He hasn't contributed anything to this team. Unless you count distractions.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:27 PM
This is a class organization. Dude belongs on a team like the Jets or Bungles.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:28 PM
He hasn't contributed anything to this team. Unless you count distractions.

His career with the Steelers is not over and you surely missed the season in 2014 and 2015.

Bryant had a big impact on our passing game.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:29 PM
More from the Rapoport story

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the twice-suspended receiver is simply "waiting for the doctors and the counselors, people who saw him, to hand in their letters, get the paperwork cleared with the NFL, have the league process that, and then make him officially conditionally reinstated." ....

Rapoport reported that part of the hold up on Bryant was the setting up of counseling sessions, which have now been taken care of.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827494/article/martavis-bryants-reinstatement-could-be-days-away

I stand by my contention this is on the agent as well. Bryant may have forgotten to show up for the counseling sessions, but these sessions should have been set up by the agent months ago when Bryant applied for reinstatement - that is a job players staff out to their hired help.

The only appointment Bryant could be trusted to set up for himself is a drug buy.Of course let the media blame his nameless faceless agent. Poor Martavis!!

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:30 PM
This is a class organization. Dude belongs on a team like the Jets or Bungles.

Again, it's impossible to have 53 good guy in a locker room, otherwise it would be very hard to win in the NFL.

A dumb player helped the steelers to win in 2008 ....

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Again, it's impossible to have 53 good guy in a locker room, otherwise it would be very hard to win in the NFL.

A dumb player helped the steelers to win in 2008 ....Whatever you need to tell yourself bro.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:32 PM
His career with the Steelers is not over and you surely missed the season in 2014 and 2015.

Bryant had a big impact on our passing game.He helped win a Super Bowl?

Hawkman
08-09-2017, 03:32 PM
He's obviously treating it with a great level of seriousness! Haha this dude looks like a fool once again. Let's on pile on Goodell though. Bryan is a discrace to the proud Steeler franchise.

If you're going to make such a strong statement like that......at least spell "disgrace" right.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:33 PM
If you're going to make such a strong statement like that......at least spell "disgrace" right.Ok attack the spelling errors now. Strong

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:34 PM
All these Bryant apologists make me sick.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:37 PM
He helped win a Super Bowl?

I said our passing game ....

If the only thing you judge about a player is the super bowl, well many HOF players have also been useless!

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon, his suspension was in 2016

It's time to move on.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I said our passing game ....

If the only thing you judge about a player is the super bowl, well many HOF players have also been useless!Pretty much.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Pretty much.

This is a stupid statement!

Hawkman
08-09-2017, 03:39 PM

If you don't like it here.....go to another board.

AtlantaDan
08-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Of course let the media blame his nameless faceless agent. Poor Martavis!!

Media is not blaming the agent - I am - Bryant failed and missed the drug tests but the agent is paid well to help his client comply with the reinstatement requirements

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:41 PM
This is a stupid statement!https://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Media is not blaming the agent - I am - Bryant failed and missed the drug tests but the agent is paid well to help his client comply with the reinstatement requirementsAww poor guy!

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 03:42 PM
https://youtu.be/b5-iJUuPWis

I forget that the football was a team sports.

Hawkman
08-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Ok attack the spelling errors now. Strong

How am I supposed to know, if you actually know how to spell disgrace? If you're going to call someone else stupid, classless, and a fool......you better be doubly buttoned up.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 03:44 PM
How am I supposed to know, if you actually know how to spell disgrace? If you're going to call someone else stupid, classless, and a fool......you better be doubly buttoned up.Do you work security for Mr. Bryant or something?

Hawkman
08-09-2017, 04:02 PM
Do you work security for Mr. Bryant or something?

If you want to look, I have not said one positive or negative thing about Bryant in this thread. My only hope is, that he stay clean and makes major contributions to this team, that I know he is capable of.

On that note, I'm out of this thread.

Rotorhead
08-09-2017, 04:08 PM
Wow, this thread has gone downhill, I guess the end of the offseason is getting to some of us.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Wow, this thread has gone downhill, I guess the end of the offseason is getting to some of us.Yeah that and all of the needless bashing of Goodell and the league. That poor poor Bryant kid. Everyone is out to get him.

Mojouw
08-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Over-react and read a bit too much into things? Everyone climb off their respective ledges.

Quoting from the article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827494/article/martavis-bryants-reinstatement-could-be-days-away

"...waiting for the doctors and the counselors, people who saw him, to hand in their letters, get the paperwork cleared with the NFL, have the league process that, and then make him officially conditionally reinstated.”

I mean it is right there in the first paragraph. Bryant set up his appointments, saw the docs and headshrinkers, and now it is the slow crawl of paperwork and bureaucracy. That totally sounds like something that never happens.

Do some of you even read the posted articles, or do you just wait expectantly to fire up the old outrage machine?

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 04:27 PM
He hasn't contributed anything to this team. Unless you count distractions.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 04:30 PM
895296610489466880 That was 1 season 2 years ago. There is no telling how well Bryant will perform at this point. Will he still have that same chemistry with Ben? There is no certainty at all.

Mojouw
08-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Only thing certain in life is death and taxes.

I got the over on 60 catches 950 yards and 8 touchdowns.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 04:34 PM
That was 1 season 2 years ago. There is no telling how well Bryant will perform at this point. Will he still have that same chemistry with Ben? There is no certainty at all.

We'll see, but Bryant has almost not practiced with the first unit in training camp of 2014 and the first game together in 2015 was in week 8.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Only thing certain in life is death and taxes.

I got the over on 60 catches 950 yards and 8 touchdowns.I'm thinking 55/1000/7
18.18 ypc

Mojouw
08-09-2017, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking 55/1000/7

THat'd still be one of the best #2 WR stat lines in the league.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 04:40 PM
I don't know what Bryant's stats will be, since it's going to depend on what the opponents' gameplan will be.

- - - Updated - - -

But 1000 or more yards with 10 TD is a possibility

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 04:44 PM
THat'd still be one of the best #2 WR stat lines in the league.Is this the year Ben goes 5k with 35 TDs?
Man this team has the potential to set franchise records!

AtlantaDan
08-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Over-react and read a bit too much into things? Everyone climb off their respective ledges.

Quoting from the article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000827494/article/martavis-bryants-reinstatement-could-be-days-away

"...waiting for the doctors and the counselors, people who saw him, to hand in their letters, get the paperwork cleared with the NFL, have the league process that, and then make him officially conditionally reinstated.”

I mean it is right there in the first paragraph. Bryant set up his appointments, saw the docs and headshrinkers, and now it is the slow crawl of paperwork and bureaucracy. That totally sounds like something that never happens.

Do some of you even read the posted articles, or do you just wait expectantly to fire up the old outrage machine?

How long have Bryant and his agent had to set up the appointments? Hard to blame the league if the paperwork has not been turned in, which based on my experiences can be done pretty quickly if an expert has the incentive of being paid enough $$$ to crank out a report that does not require a lot of independent research.

This is not some cutting edge medical issue where the only available specialist is booked six months in advance - it is drug counseling - if the agent only had access to Google (which is probably as reliable a method of finding support as relying on the NFLPA) and typed in "Pittsburgh drug counseling plans" he would get leads such as

Substance Abuse Therapists in Pittsburgh, PA
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=Pittsburgh&state=PA&spec=182
(https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=Pittsburgh&state=PA&spec=182)
Addiction Medicine - UPMC (this is where I would go for one stop shopping)
http://www.upmc.com/Services/behavioral-health/addiction/Pages/services.aspx

Long Term Alcohol Addiction Treatment and Drug Rehab Centers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
http://www.drug-rehabs.org/treatment-category/Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh/Long-Term-Drug-Rehab.htm

Bryant is a physically talented moron - but he has the $$ to pay someone to do everything for him except show up for the appointments- I get back to the fact not a peep out of the agent about the delay in reinstatement

Mojouw
08-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Is this the year Ben goes 5k with 35 TDs?

Maybe. No reason that AB, Bongtavious, and Random Slot Machine, can not put up these kind of #'s

Chris Carter (all he does catch touchdowns!), and a young Randy Moss, put up some stupid #'s in 1998-2001

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartCr00.htm

- - - Updated - - -

How long have Bryant and his agent had to set up the appointments? Hard to blame the league if the paperwork has not been turned in, which based on my experiences can be done pretty quickly if an expert has the incentive of being paid enough $$$ to crank out a report that does not require a lot of independent research.

This is not some cutting edge medical issue where the only available specialist is booked six months in advance - it is drug counseling - if the agent only had access to Google (which is probably as reliable a method of finding support as relying on the NFLPA) and typed in "Pittsburgh drug counseling plans" he would get leads such as

Substance Abuse Therapists in Pittsburgh, PA
https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=Pittsburgh&state=PA&spec=182
(https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_results.php?city=Pittsburgh&state=PA&spec=182)
Addiction Medicine - UPMC (this is where I would go for one stop shopping)
http://www.upmc.com/Services/behavioral-health/addiction/Pages/services.aspx

Long Term Alcohol Addiction Treatment and Drug Rehab Centers in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
http://www.drug-rehabs.org/treatment-category/Pennsylvania/Pittsburgh/Long-Term-Drug-Rehab.htm

Bryant is a physically talented moron - but he has the $$ to pay someone to do everything for him except show up for the appointments- I get back to the fact not a peep out of the agent about the delay in reinstatement

That assumes that Bryant and his agent have like 9 brain cells between them. I suspect that they don't. I'm not really blaming anyone here. To me Rappaport's article reads like there was some dumb-assness on Bryant and his agent's part. Some foot dragging on the clinicians part, and then some typically ass-hattery and muscle flexing from the league.

To me, that sounds like exactly what I would expect in this situation.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
The steelers will be able to move the ball against every defense if they are healthy.

The key is going to be not too many turnovers, being constant in the red zone and that our defense not be too long on the field.

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Maybe. No reason that AB, Bongtavious, and Random Slot Machine, can not put up these kind of #'s

Chris Carter (all he does catch touchdowns!), and a young Randy Moss, put up some stupid #'s in 1998-2001

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartCr00.htm

- - - Updated - - -

That assumes that Bryant and his agent have like 9 brain cells between them. I suspect that they don't. I'm not really blaming anyone here. To me Rappaport's article reads like there was some dumb-assness on Bryant and his agent's part. Some foot dragging on the clinicians part, and then some typically ass-hattery and muscle flexing from the league.

To me, that sounds like exactly what I would expect in this situation.69/1313/17 Moss's rookie year is ridiculous!!

BurghBoy412
08-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Bryant
2014- 26/549/8
2015- 50/765/6
Career- 76/1314/14

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Bryant
2014- 26/549/8
2015- 50/765/6
Career- 76/1314/14

In 21 games and when Bryant played it was in limited time, especially in 2014

BlackAndGold
08-09-2017, 06:09 PM

He's been cleared to return.

86WARD
08-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Bryant being reinstated today is huge. Can't wait to see him participate in practice this week and maybe some game action next week!!

It's about time!!!

BlackAndGold
08-09-2017, 06:14 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ErLeqamV3UOARsA/giphy.gif

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 06:15 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ErLeqamV3UOARsA/giphy.gif

This is still not over....

Martavis Bryant has been informed by the NFL that he is now permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games. He will continue to be evaluated as to his readiness to participate in regular-season activities under the terms of his conditional reinstatement.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statement-from-Colbert-on-Bryant/c597e295-0c27-48e3-a30a-0ee41a5202ed

st33lersguy
08-09-2017, 06:17 PM
It's being reported he has been cleared for preseason games and practices, not yet for regular season games. They should just fully reinstate him already and stop dragging this out as much as possible

BlackAndGold
08-09-2017, 06:21 PM
He'll be there week 1, not worried about that. The NFL are just being douchebags.

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 06:21 PM
If Bryant can't play in week 1 against the Browns, Goodell will deserve to have a punch in the face!

Shoes
08-09-2017, 06:28 PM
He'll be there week 1, not worried about that. The NFL are just being douchebags.

Agreed.

Hawkman
08-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Completely this!

AtlantaDan
08-09-2017, 08:11 PM
This is still not over....

Martavis Bryant has been informed by the NFL that he is now permitted to participate in all preseason activities, including practices and games. He will continue to be evaluated as to his readiness to participate in regular-season activities under the terms of his conditional reinstatement.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Statement-from-Colbert-on-Bryant/c597e295-0c27-48e3-a30a-0ee41a5202ed

Video of Goodell discussing the next requirement before Bryant can play in week one of the regular season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4MkCJiDoNk

86WARD
08-10-2017, 08:05 AM
If things progress, there's no reason Bryant won't be there Week one. If they screw something up or he screws up then clearly he won't be playing.