PDA

View Full Version : Josh Dobbs - Preseason

DesertSteel
07-26-2017, 11:02 AM
Dobbs is the number one guy I'm excited to see how he plays in the preseason. I hope he shows some Dak like qualities.

I was looking over his college stats and it really stands out the steady improvement that he made in just 2 full years as starter. What really jumped out was his last 4 games at Tennessee.

80 for 111 - 72% completion pct for 1,077 yards and a 9/1 TD/Int ratio
48 rushes for 508 yards - 10.6 YPC

And a record of 3-1

Those are crazy numbers.

86WARD
07-26-2017, 11:22 AM
I'm more interested in JuJu and Connor. It's hard to get excited about Dobbs IMO because I don't think he's going to be anything more than a backup. If called upon, nothing would make me happier though for him to turn out like Dak Prescott v2016...

43Hitman
07-26-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm more interested in JuJu and Connor. It's hard to get excited about Dobbs IMO because I don't think he's going to be anything more than a backup. If called upon, nothing would make me happier though for him to turn out like Dak Prescott v2016...He very well could, we have all the pieces to put around him except an exceptional TE. Heck, JJ made marked improvements over the course of last season, maybe he breaks out this year. Dak was successful because he had a 1500 yard rusher and an incredible line, we have both of those. And our WR corps is better, much better than what Dak has. I'm interested to see what Dobbs can offer with our talent.

st33lersguy
07-26-2017, 04:52 PM
TJ Watt is who I am most looking forward to seeing, though I am really keen on seeing what Dobbs shows as well

steelreserve
07-26-2017, 05:13 PM
He very well could, we have all the pieces to put around him except an exceptional TE. Heck, JJ made marked improvements over the course of last season, maybe he breaks out this year. Dak was successful because he had a 1500 yard rusher and an incredible line, we have both of those. And our WR corps is better, much better than what Dak has. I'm interested to see what Dobbs can offer with our talent.

Only problem with that is, how many QBs have we had come in to that exact same situation and still suck, and therefore our offense sucked too. Our other players on offense might all be good, but Ben makes them better. A bad QB drags everyone else down with him. It mainly has to do with whether the QB gets it or not. If Dak Prescott was just some random bum like Landry Jones, the Cowboys would have gone 8-8, because that's what happens when you have a good rest of the offense with a crappy quarterback running it.

polamalubeast
07-26-2017, 05:16 PM
Only problem with that is, how many QBs have we had come in to that exact same situation and still suck, and therefore our offense sucked too. Our other players on offense might all be good, but Ben makes them better. A bad QB drags everyone else down with him. It mainly has to do with whether the QB gets it or not. If Dak Prescott was just some random bum like Landry Jones, the Cowboys would have gone 8-8, because that's what happens when you have a good rest of the offense with a crappy quarterback running it.

or 1-11 as it was the case for the Cowboys in 2015 without Romo.

DesertSteel
07-26-2017, 05:27 PM
I'm more interested in JuJu and Connor. It's hard to get excited about Dobbs IMO because I don't think he's going to be anything more than a backup. If called upon, nothing would make me happier though for him to turn out like Dak Prescott v2016...
I kind of know what more to expect from those guys. They are going to be counted on to contribute this year. But with Ben in a year-to-year situation, I'm more interested in knowing what's in the pipeline and the preseason is likely the only time/place we're going to see Dobbs.

Reality is that this team is set for the next 5 years as long as there is a good QB under center.

GBMelBlount
07-26-2017, 08:39 PM
I kind of know what more to expect from those guys. They are going to be counted on to contribute this year. But with Ben in a year-to-year situation, I'm more interested in knowing what's in the pipeline and the preseason is likely the only time/place we're going to see Dobbs.

Reality is that this team is set for the next 5 years as long as there is a good QB under center.

Define good?

DesertSteel
07-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Define good?
Hmmm... top 10-12

BlackAndGold
07-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Here's to hoping he becomes the next Dak/Cousins mid round steal.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-27-2017, 01:48 AM
Connor is no more then a back up and not so sure he will bet Davis out for the 2 spot. Trust me Davis was mishandled in the last year or two and boy has game! As for Connor he has the perfect hardship story that the voters on America's Got Talent will vote for regardless of his skills. Back on topic can't wait to see Dobb's either!

Drazo85
07-27-2017, 05:24 AM
Everybody please forgive me, this may sound condescending, but his last name is Conner, with an E not an O. It annoys me when you guys spell his name wrong.

Iron Steeler
07-27-2017, 08:41 AM
Dobbs is a run first QB... He will be replaced in 2 years most likely. Dark days are coming... post Ben.

Shoes
07-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Tomlin should split the Preseason between Jones & Dobbs and let the best one be the #2 for the year. He could play Jones the 1st half of a game and Dobbs the 2nd half, then switch it up the next game with Dobbs in the 1st & Jones in the 2nd.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2017, 02:15 PM
I don't think our future QB is currently on our roster but I'd accept being wrong.

BlackAndGold
07-27-2017, 02:21 PM
I don't think our future QB is currently on our roster but I'd accept being wrong.

If Ben does indeed retire after the season(don't believe he will), I can see the Steelers going after Cousins since the Skins can't tag him again.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2017, 02:23 PM
If Ben does indeed retire after the season(don't believe he will), I can see the Steelers going after Cousins since the Skins can't tag him again.

I've wondered about this myself. We could do a lot worse than Kirk Cousins. We would have to so something though, we can't let the talent on our roster waste away while we wait for a young guy to come along or pray for lightning in a bottle like Dak. Just doesn't happen often enough to roll the dice in my opinion.

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Tomlin should split the Preseason between Jones & Dobbs and let the best one be the #2 for the year. He could play Jones the 1st half of a game and Dobbs the 2nd half, then switch it up the next game with Dobbs in the 1st & Jones in the 2nd.

100% agreed

DesertSteel
07-27-2017, 03:24 PM
Kap is available. [ducks]

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, Cousins would be great. We could use the money that Bell doesn't want to sign him. I'd much rather have a QB with 10 more years than a 6 year RB, no matter how good.

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I would not be surprised if Roethlisberger has a contract extension of 1 or 2 years next year.

BlackAndGold
07-27-2017, 03:36 PM
I've wondered about this myself. We could do a lot worse than Kirk Cousins. We would have to so something though, we can't let the talent on our roster waste away while we wait for a young guy to come along or pray for lightning in a bottle like Dak. Just doesn't happen often enough to roll the dice in my opinion.

Cousins is a good QB Imo, just surrounded by a cancerous organization.

He won't be Ben, but with the weapons in place on offense, and the defense trending upward with young talent, this team could still contend.

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously, Cousins would be great. We could use the money that Bell doesn't want to sign him. I'd much rather have a QB with 10 more years than a 6 year RB, no matter how good.

Yep, always.

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 03:41 PM
Cousins would be very interesting if Roethlisberger retire, but Cousins is going to be the first very good QB in his prime on the open market next year since Drew Brees in 2006, so I would not be surprised if a team that lacks a good QB is very desperate and that this team will offer him close to 30 millions per year.

And in 2006, the value of Brees was not very high because of his injury ....

BlackAndGold
07-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Cousins would be very interesting if Roethlisberger retire, but Cousins is going to be the first very good QB in his prime on the open market next year since Drew Brees in 2006, so I would not be surprised if a team that lacks a good QB is very desperate and that this team will offer him close to 30 millions per year.

And in 2006, the value of Brees was not very high because of his injury ....

Most likely outcome is Cousins to SF49ers, but if Ben retires, I believe he would consider the Steelers.

Also, the Steelers met with Cousins during his draft process, they were really interested. Believed they had a chance to get him in round 4.

Born2Steel
07-27-2017, 06:11 PM
Cousins has been wanting his mega deal for 2 years now. I don't know what he would come here for. I really would rather get Paxton Lynch. :deadhorse: I know I keep banging this drum. Kid is going to be spectacular. Could sign for relatively cheap in comparison to the rest of the pack.

Shoes
07-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I would not be surprised if Roethlisberger has a contract extension of 1 or 2 years next year.

Agreed, I think Ben plays 2-3 more years.

Nadroj 20
07-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Cousins probably will become the highest paid QB in the NFL.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, I think Ben plays 2-3 more years.

I hope so. But I'm concerned if we underachieve this year and go like 8-8 and miss the playoffs and he gets beat up all year long and perhaps misses some games, he will call it quits.

I'm going to be more optimistic than that though.

polamalubeast
07-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Cousins probably will become the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Especially on the open market

- - - Updated - - -

I hope so. But I'm concerned if we underachieve this year and go like 8-8 and miss the playoffs and he gets beat up all year long and perhaps misses some games, he will call it quits.

I'm going to be more optimistic than that though.

This is probably the worst case scenario for the Steelers in 2017.

If Roethlisberger plays well and the steelers are offering 50 million on a 2-year extension, Roethlisberger will probably stay.

polamalubeast
07-29-2017, 04:06 PM

griz5700
07-29-2017, 04:11 PM
You see his college highlights? Run run run. Then run run run. He's a QB right?

I'm not buying the Dobbs hype. He has major accuracy issues. Such a weird Steelers draft pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
07-29-2017, 08:40 PM
You see his college highlights? Run run run. Then run run run. He's a QB right?

I'm not buying the Dobbs hype. He has major accuracy issues. Such a weird Steelers draft pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not buying it either.

As for Cousins, I said a long time ago he was leaps and bounds better than RGIII and was laughed at. Cousins is a solid QB and wouldn't mind him succeeding Ben but I'd rather find a QB in the draft to be the future...

Born2Steel
07-30-2017, 09:01 AM
In '15 and '16, Dobbs had 23 rushing TDs and 42 passing TDs. That's not a run first stat. 17 total INTs for those 2 seasons is impressive as well. Dave Bryan did a report on how those INTs occurred and found that most occurred due to the WRs. Letting the ball bounce off for the INT or just not playing for the 50/50 balls. Let's give this guy a real chance before writing him off as just another Mike Vick/Kordell Stewart.

pczach
07-30-2017, 07:45 PM
In '15 and '16, Dobbs had 23 rushing TDs and 42 passing TDs. That's not a run first stat. 17 total INTs for those 2 seasons is impressive as well. Dave Bryan did a report on how those INTs occurred and found that most occurred due to the WRs. Letting the ball bounce off for the INT or just not playing for the 50/50 balls. Let's give this guy a real chance before writing him off as just another Mike Vick/Kordell Stewart.

Correct.

Let's give the kid a chance to learn the game at the pro level and allow him to develop.

DesertSteel
07-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Yeah I kinda dismiss comments about his "highlights." The guy can't control what makes the highlight reel. I trust that the scouts actually watched all of his tape.

polamalubeast
07-31-2017, 03:42 PM

tube517
08-03-2017, 03:48 PM

polamalubeast
08-03-2017, 03:53 PM
It could be interesting to see him in the pre-season this year.

I remember in 2013(and 2014), Landry Jones was very painful to watch in the pre-season.

Dobbs seems very ahead at what that Jones was in his first 2 seasons.

Maybe even now!

Edman
08-03-2017, 05:23 PM
If Josh Dobbs can manage a very basic offense in the preseason, he's already a step up from previous Steeler backups. Our Offense would die once the first teamers went out.

Landry Jones couldn't mount a single drive to save his life in the preseason. He was painful to watch.

Iron Steeler
08-03-2017, 08:35 PM

I feel like this was directed towards me... Good stats good points. I am going to have to admitt, I was bored and playing devils advocate. Lol. But for the sake of boredom and conversations.

Josh Dobbs passing attempts are almost about 200 less then the QBs drafted in the 1st. Trubinksy, watson, mahomes were all in the 600 att range.

So I would still argue a point that he instinctively wants to run first. Dobbs is at the 300-400 att range

DesertSteel
08-03-2017, 11:44 PM
I feel like this was directed towards me... Good stats good points. I am going to have to admitt, I was bored and playing devils advocate. Lol. But for the sake of boredom and conversations.

Josh Dobbs passing attempts are almost about 200 less then the QBs drafted in the 1st. Trubinksy, watson, mahomes were all in the 600 att range.

So I would still argue a point that he instinctively wants to run first. Dobbs is at the 300-400 att range

i will play devil's advocate and tell you that he ran as much as his college coach wanted him to. College coaches don't care squat about helping a QBs pro potential. So that doesn't mean he instinctively runs first, but perhaps that's what he was coached to do.

08-04-2017, 01:40 AM
i will play devil's advocate and tell you that he ran as much as his college coach wanted him to. College coaches don't care squat about helping a QBs pro potential. So that doesn't mean he instinctively runs first, but perhaps that's what he was coached to do. That and he was so much better at running then the QB's mentioned. Perhaps why his coach may have ask him to or didn't mind when he did!

pczach
08-04-2017, 03:54 AM
Dobbs ran the offense they run at Tennessee.

You can't change anything he did while in school. All you can do is evaluate the tape of what he did do when he had the opportunity to throw in that offense, and hope that what you saw on film projects to the NFL level.

He has a great intellect, and he has time to learn the offense and study behind a HOF quarterback. He also now has unlimited time to work on his skills and master the profession of quarterback. This is the time when we start to find out what he is capable of.

With all the scouting on all these quarterbacks, they still don't truly know what they have until they become fully immersed in learning the game at the professional level. Everything is just a projection until they literally get them in a pro offense and in game situations.

We're seeing this kid's first steps here. Let's see how far he can go and how fast he can get there.

Born2Steel
08-04-2017, 12:15 PM

You, griz, and ward were all calling Dobbs a run first QB. I was responding to the temperature of the thread more than to any one of you. Let's see what he can do before branding him as this or that type guy. He's already shown more with his arm than Jones has, IMO. And he does have the ability to run, which is a bonus.

polamalubeast
08-04-2017, 02:56 PM
If Josh Dobbs can manage a very basic offense in the preseason, he's already a step up from previous Steeler backups. Our Offense would die once the first teamers went out.

Landry Jones couldn't mount a single drive to save his life in the preseason. He was painful to watch.

BlackAndGold
08-04-2017, 03:50 PM

Wonder if the lack of defensive talent over the years are a the cause for those losses?

Dwinsgames
08-04-2017, 06:29 PM
Extended look at Dobbs tonight Landry is still out and ben gets the day off with an ankle injury ..... just 2 active tonight Dobbs lines up with the first team

GBMelBlount
08-04-2017, 06:49 PM

So we didn't make the preseason playoffs?

Devastating.

Iron Steeler
08-04-2017, 08:04 PM
You, griz, and ward were all calling Dobbs a run first QB. I was responding to the temperature of the thread more than to any one of you. Let's see what he can do before branding him as this or that type guy. He's already shown more with his arm than Jones has, IMO. And he does have the ability to run, which is a bonus.

Hey no malice intended. I hope he turns out to be the next Russ Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't mind see him playing all pre season to compete against Jones.

I watched as many throws as I could find. And for the most part every WR is wide open. I want to see him pick apart Defenses when they are all over his WRs.

08-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Would be awesome to be there to watch him tonight.

Born2Steel
08-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Hey no malice intended. I hope he turns out to be the next Russ Wilson or Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't mind see him playing all pre season to compete against Jones.

I watched as many throws as I could find. And for the most part every WR is wide open. I want to see him pick apart Defenses when they are all over his WRs.

Yeah, no malice meant from me either. Trying to clarify to whom that other post was directed. I also see posts about how Conner is an instant upgrade. I have posted let's see him at full speed first. Guess my intent is to not get too up or down on the rookies until they show us who they really are.

polamalubeast
08-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Wonder if the lack of defensive talent over the years are a the cause for those losses?

Maybe, but in 2013 and 2014, Jones led the offense with only 1 TD on 40 pre-season drives in his 2 years!

Jones has improved since, even if this is far from perfect, as we saw in his game against the eagles last year(4 INT in one half)!!!

polamalubeast
08-07-2017, 06:38 AM

GBMelBlount
08-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Very excited to see him play!

Edman
08-07-2017, 10:48 AM
The Steelers must really be impressed by Dobbs if he is playing with the first team. I know its due to injuries to Jones and they want to sit Ben, but this is huge.

Dwinsgames
08-07-2017, 11:13 AM
The Steelers must really be impressed by Dobbs if he is playing with the first team. I know its due to injuries to Jones and they want to sit Ben, but this is huge.

well in fairness normal protocol keeps season starter off field in 1st preseason game ...

Jones is hurt and has not practiced ...

leaving the only other option not named Dobbs as Houston who nobody expects to be on the roster at cutdown time ...

I would say more necessity than anything , sometimes your greatest ability is availability , that being said I hope Dobbs lights it up , nothing would please me more than for him to have a HUGE camp and preseason and make Jones expendable

Dobbs will not clear waivers to make the practice squad meaning we will be stuck carrying 3 QBs on the 53 if they do not have faith in him as a primary backup ..with so many tough cuts at WR and potentially CB we need to free up that roster spot , Dobbs should be given every chance to make Jones and after thought