PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes overturned td in AFC title game.

zulater
09-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Does anyone remember the play I'm talking about and can you provide a youtube or video link?

the reason being everyone is making such a huge deal about the td catch that was taken away from Calvin Johnson this past Sunday and making out as if that sort of thing's never happened before. Well i can think of two instances where the Steelers got jobbed on the same kind of call and nothing was ever made of it outside the city of Pittsburgh. :mad2:

Dino 6 Rings
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Holy crap, I remember the play...if no one finds it, I'll dig it out tonight off youtube if I can find it. NFL Network Site might have it as well in its archives.

polamalubeast
09-15-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009011801/2008/POST20/ravens@steelers/watch

NFL GameDay: Ravens-Steelers highlights

0:40

zulater
09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009011801/2008/POST20/ravens@steelers/watch

NFL GameDay: Ravens-Steelers highlights

0:40

I can't find it????

zulater
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Holy crap, I remember the play...if no one finds it, I'll dig it out tonight off youtube if I can find it. NFL Network Site might have it as well in its archives.

Remember Holmes took about two full strides with full control of the ball before breaking the plane and had full control crossing the goal line, but when the ball rolled out as he was coming up on replay they said continuation says that the ball has to be possessed until... well god only knows when, I'm still not clear on that. Regardless the Steelers won so it gets buried, but i thought that was a much more egrecious enforcment of the rule than what happened to Calvin Johnson.

polamalubeast
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I can't find it????

You click on "NFL GameDay: Ravens-Steelers highlights" and you'll see it was from the 40th second!

The Duke
09-15-2010, 11:48 AM
The steelers always get every call their way. No way that happened :rolleyes:

that's what I love about this team, they find ways to win even when the refs fuck it up

the play was awful though. At the very least they should have let it stand as a catch at the 1 with no td. Heck, at first glance to me it wasn't a touchdown but he went down at the one.

polamalubeast
09-15-2010, 11:57 AM
The steelers always get every call their way. No way that happened :rolleyes:

that's what I love about this team, they find ways to win even when the refs fuck it up

the play was awful though. At the very least they should have let it stand as a catch at the 1 with no td. Heck, at first glance to me it wasn't a touchdown but he went down at the one.

The steelers have also been able to win against the Ravens despite the terrible drop of Limas Sweed and very bad game by Mitch Berger.

steelatl
09-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Hines had one reversed last year as well. He caught the ball in the end zone, hit the ground, rolled over twice, then lost the ball out of bounds and they called it no td.

pepsyman1
09-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Did Mitch Berger have any other type of game besides bad? :rofl2:

Animal Mother
09-15-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure Hines had one reversed last year as well. He caught the ball in the end zone, hit the ground, rolled over twice, then lost the ball out of bounds and they called it no td.

I totally remember that and the Holmes one. The other thing to consider when watching these is the difference between slow-mo and real-time. In slow-mo, everyone can be like "Oh man! Look, he had control of the ball for like forever" and the real-time it's all split second so you can say maybe he didn't have control and if he lost it going to the ground, maybe he didn't have ENOUGH control.

Animal Mother
09-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Did Mitch Berger have any other type of game besides bad? :rofl2:

Horrendous comes to mind. But none of them were what you'd call "good".

steel striker
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
That was a catch by Holmes and, atleast as far as i'm concerned.

CPanther95
09-15-2010, 03:02 PM
They need to change the damn rule.

..but the worst hosing was what they did to Troy in Indy in the playoffs leading to SB XL.

GodfatherofSoul
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
I'll accept being called a conspiracy theorist, but I think these bogus, fuzzy rules are only there to whip out of their pants when they need to. Look at how inconsistently this rule has been enforced? Look at how inconsistently holding, pass interference, QB contact, hands to the face, and other calls are made regardless of "what the rules say." Look at how situationally calls are made. The NFL is starting to get that NBA stink.

I'm waiting for the day the first QB collapses theatrically to the ground clutching his knee officially heralding in the "soccer" era.

BlastFurnace
09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
I'll accept being called a conspiracy theorist, but I think these bogus, fuzzy rules are only there to whip out of their pants when they need to. Look at how inconsistently this rule has been enforced? Look at how inconsistently holding, pass interference, QB contact, hands to the face, and other calls are made regardless of "what the rules say." Look at how situationally calls are made. The NFL is starting to get that NBA stink.

I'm waiting for the day the first QB collapses theatrically to the ground clutching his knee officially heralding in the "soccer" era.

Guaranty you someone was talked to after the Cowboys/Redskins game last Sunday night. The Troy Int had the NFL's version of David Stern all over it.

NJarhead
09-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Don't forget about Larry Fitzgeralds first (non) TD in the SB. He bobbled it all the way to the ground until it hit the ground.

SteelerFanInStl
09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
I remember the play well. It's one of the reasons why I'm familiar with the rule that came up again on the Calvin Johnson play. No one ever says anything when that kind of thing happens to the Steelers but yet everyone seems to think that we get all the calls.

Steeldude
09-15-2010, 04:19 PM
You click on "NFL GameDay: Ravens-Steelers highlights" and you'll see it was from the 40th second!

i see ward catching a pass at the :40 mark

polamalubeast
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
i see ward catching a pass at the :40 mark

after you will see the play of Holmes .........

stillers4me
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM

I remember that one. We got :bananadoggywow:

Steeldude
09-15-2010, 05:45 PM
after you will see the play of Holmes .........

could you post the time stamp?

ALLD
09-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Not to mention the interception fumble by Polamalu.

zulater
09-16-2010, 05:47 AM

Yeah I remember that one too. Hines rolled over 2 complete rotations on his knees with full possession, coming up to hand the ball to the ref the ball came out, and that was ruled incomplete.

Anyone got the youtube on that one?

SirHulka
09-16-2010, 07:10 AM

You're waaaaay behind the times on that one, my man. Elway did that decades ago.