PDA

View Full Version : Senquez Golson needs to be special to make Steelers roster

hawaiiansteeler
07-16-2017, 12:22 AM
Senquez Golson needs to be special to make Steelers roster

JOE RUTTER | Saturday, July 15, 2017

Two years removed from being drafted in the second round, Senquez Golson no longer has to impress defensive backs coach Carnell Lake in order to make the Steelers' roster.

His fate on the 53-man roster apparently will depend on how much he also impresses special teams coach Danny Smith.

Before the Steelers concluded minicamp last month, Lake laid out a challenge for Golson, the former Mississippi corner whose first two seasons were wiped out by injury before he played a meaningful down.

“He's going to have to make this team on two different levels,” Lake said. “He'll have to make it as a special-teams guy, and he'll have to make it and compete for playing time in the secondary. There is a lot on Senquez's plate.”

Golson's tenuous spot on the roster will be a focal point when the Steelers open training camp July 27 at St. Vincent College. It will be Golson's third — and most important — trip to Latrobe and the ensuing preseason games.

“At this point, the only thing I am missing is the in-game experience,” Golson said. “I've pretty much got the basics down.”

After missing his rookie season with a shoulder injury, Golson injured his foot in training camp last year and spent a second consecutive year on injured reserve. Wary of Golson being able to contribute after such a lengthy layoff, the Steelers this spring drafted cornerbacks Cameron Sutton in the third round and Brian Allen in the fifth. They also signed veteran free agent Coty Sensabaugh.

“It's the reality,” Golson said when asked about the Steelers moving on with other players at his position. “Just like any other guy who has missed two years, that's the reality of it. But I gotta do what I gotta do.”

What Golson will have to do is show he can play special teams, likely as a gunner on coverage units.

“Being looked at as a second-round guy, we're going to expect more out of him just because where we got him even though he missed two years,” Lake said. “Being (that he has been) in the system two years, more is expected of him as well.”

With Artie Burns emerging as a starting cornerback in his rookie season and Ross Cockrell occupying the other outside spot, Golson's best chance of playing time appears to be in the slot. During organized team activities and minicamp, Golson got playing time as the nickel cornerback, but not usually with the first team.

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12498257-74/senquez-golson-needs-to-be-special-to-make-steelers-roster

BlackAndGold
07-16-2017, 01:15 AM
Was a big fan of his after he was drafted, but I dont believe he'll make the team.

Burns, Cockrell, Gay, Sutton are locks. Can see them carry 6 CB's(especially if they keep 4 safeties) so the next two will go to either Allen(potential), Coty(FA signing, 2 yr deal), or Hilton(early standout).

43Hitman
07-16-2017, 06:03 AM
I don't think Gay is a lock by any measure. He has definitely lost a step and that was obvious in the Championship game last year.

Six Rings
07-16-2017, 06:45 AM
I don't think Gay is a lock by any measure. He has definitely lost a step and that was obvious in the Championship game last year.

Gay still has value as the 6th DB on the field. I was skeptical about the Golosn pick, as he was shot, light in weight, and not really fast enough to make up for it.

cold-hard-steel
07-16-2017, 07:27 AM
I liked the "Sain-kez" pick at the time but never had a chance to see if he could bring to the table all that i had hoped he could. I must say that i am confident he still has the potential to make our secondary more respectable. From what i remember he was not afraid to go after and fight for the ball despite his lack of size and speed everyone and their mother said you need to play corner in the NFL.

86WARD
07-16-2017, 08:10 AM
If he's got any kind of talent, you can't have too many DBs on this team. None of them are world beaters...let's just be honest. None would be locks on a lot of other teams in this league.

ALLD
07-16-2017, 09:19 AM
Golson was most likely seen as a boom or bust pick when he was drafted. He appeared as a very high risk pick to me as I would have never drafted him. He is too small, but that never stopped the Steelers from drafting some other similar busts in recent history.

That style of drafting needs to be placed in File #13. It has been the Achilles Heel of the Steelers. Sure you can get stuck with players who can disguise their laziness , lack of commitment or stupidity, but drafting munchkins should be off the table.

Born2Steel
07-16-2017, 09:40 AM
Something has to happen in our defensive secondary. This season we bring in Sutton, which could be the steal of this draft when all is done. And we brought in veteran Sensabaugh, who is expected to play a backup role this season. But as of today, I don't see where we have improved over last season at all. From what I have read, the issues with Golson is he has lost speed and 'quick twitch' from being off the field. I don't see him gaining that back this season even if he makes the 53. Our offense can and should be a top 3-5 offense. We stop the run well, but none of this will matter if we cannot shut down the pass. That puts my hopes on our pass rushers this season. This season will come down to us putting up 30-40pts a game, and getting a lot of pressure on the QB. If Golson CAN make it as a special teamer this season and use this time to get his abilities back, maybe he can contribute more in the secondary next year. I'm really not even thinking about him this year.

Mojouw
07-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Golson's size is not a terminal issue in and off itself. It is whether his ball-hawking ability can translate from Saturdays to Sundays. Due to injury, we don't really know. We do know that he flashed enough in practices, OTA's, etc that he was going to make the 53 man roster his rookie year and he was likely going to start out as the 3rd CB last year. Both plans were derailed by injury.

Golson is 5'9" and 194 lbs. Other recent CBs have had good success at a similar size:

Jason Verrett - 5'10" 176 lbs
Tavon Young - 5'10" 176 lbs
Alterraun Verner - 5'10" 187lbs

I know their are others. As recently as 2011-2013 the average/preferred CB size was 5'11" and about 185 lbs.

I understand that you can't have an entire secondary of Lilliputians, but you don't want an entire DB corps of lumbering giants either.

Golson's size likely won't be his undoing, it will be the fact that he hasn't played football in forever.

Dwinsgames
07-16-2017, 05:17 PM

100% agree he lost a step last year , he was reportedly the reason they didn't go more man ( inability to stay with his man ) if rumors are correct that they are looking to move to more man coverage IMO that points towards Gay not being the best guy for the job ..

but we shall see there is always a roster spot or 2 that makes one scratch their heads

ALLD
07-16-2017, 07:28 PM
Everybody is also assuming even if he makes the team he will last for 16 games. The track record says otherwise.

DesertSteel
07-16-2017, 09:22 PM
I hope he makes it. We'll see if he has the heart to beat out the competition.

Six Rings
07-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Golson's size is not a terminal issue in and off itself. It is whether his ball-hawking ability can translate from Saturdays to Sundays. Due to injury, we don't really know. We do know that he flashed enough in practices, OTA's, etc that he was going to make the 53 man roster his rookie year and he was likely going to start out as the 3rd CB last year. Both plans were derailed by injury.

Golson is 5'9" and 194 lbs. Other recent CBs have had good success at a similar size:

Jason Verrett - 5'10" 176 lbs
Tavon Young - 5'10" 176 lbs
Alterraun Verner - 5'10" 187lbs

I know their are others. As recently as 2011-2013 the average/preferred CB size was 5'11" and about 185 lbs.

I understand that you can't have an entire secondary of Lilliputians, but you don't want an entire DB corps of lumbering giants either.

Golson's size likely won't be his undoing, it will be the fact that he hasn't played football in forever.

When you are a 5'9" corner ( do any men start that height or below this season in the NFL ), and not very fast, you are a roll player at best. Not an ideal way to spend a 2nd round pick.

I see Golson added some weight. The cost will be some speed and quickness.

I expect very little from him. Sutton needs to come through.

Mojouw
07-23-2017, 01:26 PM
When you are a 5'9" corner ( do any men start that height or below this season in the NFL ), and not very fast, you are a roll player at best. Not an ideal way to spend a 2nd round pick.

I see Golson added some weight. The cost will be some speed and quickness.

I expect very little from him. Sutton needs to come through.

All the players I listed are or were starters. Townsend started at a similar size. Golson wasn't that slow coming out.

The whole argument is likely moot as he had been away from foot all let alone the fact that he hasn't played a down in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43Hitman
07-24-2017, 04:09 AM
The dude has just been unlucky...The first year was the foot, and last year he stepped in a hole while practicing, a freaking hole. Maybe we should be thanking him for finding the hole, could've been Brown.

GBMelBlount
07-24-2017, 04:51 AM
The dude has just been unlucky...

The first year was the foot,

and last year he stepped in a hole while practicing, a freaking hole.

Maybe we should be thanking him for finding the hole, could've been Brown.

Wow, I can't even imagine the impact on this team if Brown went down in any manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SDuSRKt8Vk

86WARD
07-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Wow, I can't even imagine the impact on this team if Brown went down in any manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SDuSRKt8Vk

If Bryant plays more than 11 games and Bell stayed healthy, I don't think the impact would be as great as some think it would be. Sure it would be devastating but I think they could rebound from it...all other things healthy...

I don't want to test the theory though...

DesertSteel
07-24-2017, 06:37 PM
We could rebound from any one single injury... unless it was to #7.

Unless Dobbs turns out to be Dak 2.0.

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 04:03 PM

- - - Updated - - -

polamalubeast
07-30-2017, 04:18 PM