PDA

View Full Version : Putting the Bill Cowher vs. Mike Tomlin debate to bed

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Since 2007, when Bill Cowher retired and Mike Tomlin was hired, there has been a great deal of disdain for the new coach, and a longing for the old.

One of the worst things about running a website dedicated to a fan base like the Pittsburgh Steelers is how ugly things can get at times. On the internet, there is very little accountability. You can say whatever you want, regardless of how ignorant, with little to no repercussions to your actions.

I should take this time to mention the large majority of the fan base does not fall into this category. Rather, they fall into the category of level-headed and respectful fans when it pertains to their favorite NFL football team.

However, despite the facts, which many choose to ignore, the one debate which simply won’t go away is the Bill Cowher vs. Mike Tomlin debate. Putting aside how silly it is to constantly debate the value of two coaches who both brought Lombardi trophies to the Steel City is beyond me, but people love to dive into this particular debate.

Therefore, I felt it was the appropriate time to put this to bed once and for all, or at least until the commenters hijack the comment section and it turns south in a hurry.

Most who argue Cowher over Tomlin love to point to stats. The only problem is Tomlin has only been coaching for 10 seasons. So, let’s take a look at the two coaches, after their first 10 seasons at the helm of the black and gold.

read more

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/7/14/15927810/putting-the-bill-cowher-vs-mike-tomlin-debate-to-bed-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-super-bowl

tube517
07-14-2017, 11:38 AM
But but but...cool shades and he's a friend of the players and he doesn't spit as much, poker, 007, hippo farts, cheerleader and other nonsense.

steelreserve
07-14-2017, 12:44 PM
The only thing to say at this point is they're different. Neither one was perfect, but for all his flaws it's hard to argue that Tomlin hasn't built his own successful team by now and earned some level of respect. Are there certain things I wish I could change about how he does things? No shit there are. But I think despite some missteps early on, he's mostly figured it out.

Another difference that's not really talked about much: I have tremendous respect for what Cowher was able to do in the 1990s, before the salary cap became as "hard" as it is now and we were at a real disadvantage to some of the real powerhouse teams. In hindsight, building the team around hard-nosed defense and ball-control offense rather than betting it all on a big QB move probably helped us stay competitive for all those years given our limitations. I like to say it feels like we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl without Cowher, but it also feels like we would've won two or three Super Bowls without him. Who knows. That was quite an accomplishment in its own right; a different one, but an accomplishment nonetheless. I don't miss Cowherball, though.

86WARD
07-14-2017, 01:44 PM
I like both coaches very much...I could be wrong because I can't remember all that well but Cowher's teams seemed more disciplined than Tomlin's as far as penalties go. I'd like to see an in depth comparison of penalties between the two coaches. But the article is right...there really shouldn't be a debate...

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 02:54 PM
I like both coaches very much...I could be wrong because I can't remember all that well but Cowher's teams seemed more disciplined than Tomlin's as far as penalties go. I'd like to see an in depth comparison of penalties between the two coaches. But the article is right...there really shouldn't be a debate...

I don't remember for Cowher but under Tomlin the Steelers have often been in the top 5-10 for fewest penalties in the NFL.

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 03:04 PM
The other HC that some likes to compare with Tomlin is Mike Sullivan who won 2 stanley cup in 2 years with the Penguins in the NHL.

86WARD
07-14-2017, 03:14 PM
I don't remember for Cowher but under Tomlin the Steelers have often been in the top 5-10 for fewest penalties in the NFL.

I doubt that Cowher would be that much better then if that is the case. Just seems like there are a lot more penalties and more crucial ones under Tomlin...but again, that could be because he's Fresh and in front of us now.

A stat that they forgot which they both are evenly matched at one a piece is "Almost interfering with a return man".

tube517
07-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Both are good coaches, not great.

Tomlin is more than a cheerleader and Cowher was more than a big jaw spitter.

Both are/were flawed.

However, the franchise has been in steady hands for nearly 50 years. And both of them have had a hand in that.

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 03:30 PM
For 2016, the steelers had a lot of penalty (9th most penalized team)

In 2015, the steelers were the third least penalized team in the NFL and in 2014 they were the 13th least penalized team despite that the steelers were awful in the first 4 weeks, especially in the defeat against Tampa Bay.

The steelers were 5th in 2013,6th in 2012,in the middle in 2011,same for 2010,top 10 in 2009,middle in 2008 and in the top 10 in 2007.

So this is not bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Both are good coaches, not great.

Tomlin is more than a cheerleader and Cowher was more than a big jaw spitter.

Both are/were flawed.

However, the franchise has been in steady hands for nearly 50 years. And both of them have had a hand in that.

I would say that Cowher and Tomlin are very good.

I think Cowher would have been in the HOF if he would have been a head coach much longer.

Tomlin could be in if he continues to win at least 60% of the games for another good period of time, but it's still too early for that.

GBMelBlount
07-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Too many variables imo.

For example, imagine if Cowher had a QB of Ben's caliber for his entire tenure with the steelers.

While Tomlin has made mistakes as any young coach does, I feel Tomlin learns from his mistakes and seems to get better every year.

I think Tomlin can be proud of his first 10 years and I have a feeling the game may start slowing down for him and he will start getting the final pieces in place - game planning and in game adjustments.

I think Tomlin will become a great coach, and we, as Steelers fans, have a lot to be thankful for and look forward to, even after Ben retires.

Mojouw
07-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Only Steelers fans and our reliance on stability can take a 10 year coaching career and be like "well know that he's got the kinks worked out, he can really settle in to the job and get down to work!".

Other franchises would've had 3 coaches in that same span.

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 07:27 PM

or 6 like the Browns since 2007!

st33lersguy
07-14-2017, 08:32 PM
I think both are solid coaches. The thing is as long as you have people, you will have people with differing views that want to debate with each other and it is pretty easy to debate this given both have 1 Super Bowl win apiece. If Tomlin wins another Super Bowl though, almost everyone will be putting the debate to bed

pczach
07-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Only Steelers fans and our reliance on stability can take a 10 year coaching career and be like "well know that he's got the kinks worked out, he can really settle in to the job and get down to work!".

Yep

It's exactly what the Steelers organization figured out years ago.

They hire well.

While other franchises look to blame the coaching staff for the failures of the entire organization, the Steelers have determined that the best way to have success is to hire a young, energetic coach that has never been a head coach before.

They then find him as much talent as possible to strengthen the team and get him the strongest coaching staff they can put together.

They then empower the coach by making sure they support the head coach, and let the players know that coach isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The players then know who is in charge, and that they better get on board with what the coach is doing, because if they don't they will be gone.

The organization refuses to listen to outside voices.

They have a plan, stay the course, and put their faith in the men that they were so impressed by when they had them in the room during the interview process, and allow them to learn, make mistakes, overcome them, and continue to grow. They don't overreact to anything.

Watching other franchises make the same mistakes over and over again is almost beyond belief. I think a large part of the success of the organization is that they keep ego out of the equation. Many owners want to puff their chests out and show everyone that they are the man. They fire people, make bold moves, trade away piles of draft picks, sign overpriced free agents, and are always looking to make a splash.

The Steelers owners and organization don't make moves to make headlines or to draw attention to themselves. They do what they believe is in the best interests of fielding a great football team and coaching staff. Not all teams do that.

The Steelers don't always look flashy. They don't sign a ton of high profile free agents. They improve through the draft. They then prioritize keeping the players they drafted that become good football players.They support their coaches and have their backs when things get tough. They do their own thing.

Trust the process

DesertSteel
07-14-2017, 10:48 PM
FIRE COWHER!

- - - Updated - - -

or 6 like the Browns since 2007!
49s had 3 in one year!

Born2Steel
07-15-2017, 10:15 AM
What is the debate, exactly? Which one is the better coach? PLEASE! This team would look about the same, with pretty much the same success rate, with either coach, in either era. Our FO does a great job with consistency. I don't see much getting changed if Cowher had stayed another 3 years before Tomlin taking over. As much as coaching 'styles' must be debated, ALL good coaches coach to their talent. Personnel dictates more than the coach. FO dictates personnel. That has not changed.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-15-2017, 05:34 PM
Both suffer from poor clock management skills but are pretty good coaches.

cold-hard-steel
07-16-2017, 07:44 AM
Two distinctive styles with the exception one tended to show a lot of emotion on the sideline,and one still tends to,only one crossed the line to impede a player trying to score on em. That still makes me smile to this very day.

ALLD
07-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Cowher's teams were more disciplined and much more risk averse, especially in the playoffs. The conservative play when you should be going for the jugular was the big flaw with Cowher. Plus he also stuck with some players too long.

Tomlin wants to be every player's buddy and live out his missed playing career vicariously through them. Dan Rooney was responsible for drafting BB, but Tomlin really scored some home runs with AB & LB.

Two different styles that make comparing them difficult even in SB appearances which are the same as both should have been 2-0, but choked. Tomlin has a better winning regular season percentage, but Cowher is definitely more entertaining to watch when things heat up and it starts raining.

polamalubeast
07-16-2017, 09:40 AM
I don't consider that we choked in our 2 super bowl loss(Except for O'Donnell of course!), since the steelers were underdog in his 2 super bowl.

Almost made a big comeback in his two super bowl but the steelers have been short of a comeback.

Born2Steel
07-16-2017, 09:46 AM
I don't consider that we choked in our 2 super bowl loss(Except for O'Donnell of course!), since the steelers were underdog in his 2 super bowl.

Almost made a big comeback in his two super bowl but the steelers have been short of a comeback.

We lost in '95 due to 2 O'Donnel INTs. Whether QB or WR made the mistake is irrelevant. Those are 'choke' plays on the big stage. We beat us. The very definition of choking. The 2010 SB, we lost to a better team on that day. I am not as disappointed with that one.

polamalubeast
07-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Not true,but this is a funny comment!

COWHER POWER

Bill Cowher Is A Student Of the Game. He Was Mentored By One Of The BEST Coaches To Ever Be In The Game.. The Other Is A Glorified Cheerleader,
Who’s Body Of Success Has Been Built Off The Blood Sweat & Tears Of What Cowher Built, ,Who Cowher Drafted, And the Staff Cowher Put Together… Did Tomlin Draft A Franchise Quarterback? Did Tomlin Build The TEAM That Saw His 2 Out Of 3 Superbowls? Did Tomlin Assemble The Staff That Still Remains 75% To 80% Intact?
Cowher Painstakingly Through YEARS OF EXPIERIENCE Put It All Together…. Tomlin Rode The Pony The Whole Way Till This Point.. If You Can’t See That,
You’re Blind And Have No Football Savvy Period…..

Posted by dorian.gray.92775 on Jul 14, 2017 | 6:15 PM

Mike Seifert Switzer

Mike Tomlin Is Nothing More Than George Seifert And Barry Switzer Rolled Into One…

Posted by dorian.gray.92775 on Jul 14, 2017 | 6:21 PM

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/7/14/15927810/putting-the-bill-cowher-vs-mike-tomlin-debate-to-bed-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-super-bowl

fansince'76
07-16-2017, 11:57 AM
Not true,but this is a funny comment!

COWHER POWER

Bill Cowher Is A Student Of the Game. He Was Mentored By One Of The BEST Coaches To Ever Be In The Game.. The Other Is A Glorified Cheerleader,
Who’s Body Of Success Has Been Built Off The Blood Sweat & Tears Of What Cowher Built, ,Who Cowher Drafted, And the Staff Cowher Put Together… Did Tomlin Draft A Franchise Quarterback? Did Tomlin Build The TEAM That Saw His 2 Out Of 3 Superbowls? Did Tomlin Assemble The Staff That Still Remains 75% To 80% Intact?
Cowher Painstakingly Through YEARS OF EXPIERIENCE Put It All Together…. Tomlin Rode The Pony The Whole Way Till This Point.. If You Can’t See That,
You’re Blind And Have No Football Savvy Period…..

Posted by dorian.gray.92775 on Jul 14, 2017 | 6:15 PM

Yeah, that is comedy gold. :lol:

polamalubeast
07-16-2017, 12:15 PM
So.........

You’re saying Tomlin shoulda cut/ traded BB and the rest of Cowher’s left overs?

I’m just hoping you’ll school me on football savvy, period, cause apparently I have none, period, like, period…. man

Posted by peterjm67 on Jul 14, 2017 | 6:29 PM

▼ No, I'm Saying He Should Have Pom Poms... Cause They Guy Stinks At Building & Drafting

Posted by dorian.gray.92775 on Jul 14, 2017 | 6:33 PM

▼ No Game Clock management, No In Game Adjustments.. One Trick Pony

Posted by dorian.gray.92775 on Jul 14, 2017 | 6:34 PM

Mojouw
07-16-2017, 12:24 PM
My favorite line of argument in the comment thread for that article is that Cowher did more with less (talent wise) but Tomlin wins with Cowher's players!

The logical incoherence of that idea makes my head hurt.

polamalubeast
07-16-2017, 12:29 PM
My favorite line of argument in the comment thread for that article is that Cowher did more with less (talent wise) but Tomlin wins with Cowher's players!

The logical incoherence of that idea makes my head hurt.

As this comment

It is okay for both coaches to have their strengths, and weaknesses. And it is okay to have an affection for both as men who led the Steelers to a great deal of success.

I don’t think so…say anything negative about either and you are attacked. Also, it is a different era. Free agency and salary caps have changed things. I strongly believe Tomlin should have a better record than Cowher with the talent on the team. Cowher did more with less until the end of his career. Tomlin has done less with more. Just my opinion.

steelreserve
07-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Regarding the penalties, it DOES seem like there are more bad penalties at key times now, and there probably are. But I chalk that up to Lawyerball and the league's shitty rule changes and enforcement.

I think it did take Tomlin a few years to get his shit together. His first couple of drafts were a disaster and overall the team seemed aimless a lot of the time, kind of drifting along on the strength of the veteran players who were already there and didn't need to be told what to do, while player development was basically zero.

But one way or another, they fixed that, and if we were one of those teams that fired coaches at the drop off a hat, it probably wouldn't have been fixed. So I guess it worked out ok after all.

Dude still needs to learn a few things about clock management and how to put a stop to shitty pet projects sooner.

Mojouw
07-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Regarding the penalties, it DOES seem like there are more bad penalties at key times now, and there probably are. But I chalk that up to Lawyerball and the league's shitty rule changes and enforcement.

I think it did take Tomlin a few years to get his shit together. His first couple of drafts were a disaster and overall the team seemed aimless a lot of the time, kind of drifting along on the strength of the veteran players who were already there and didn't need to be told what to do, while player development was basically zero.

But one way or another, they fixed that, and if we were one of those teams that fired coaches at the drop off a hat, it probably wouldn't have been fixed. So I guess it worked out ok after all.

Dude still needs to learn a few things about clock management and how to put a stop to shitty pet projects sooner.

His first draft was Timmons, Woodley, Gay, Spaeth, and Robo-Punter. '08 was '08. Hardly anyone didn't think the Steelers "won" the draft at the time. '09 netted several NFL starters (unfortunately, not for the Steelers), and '10 was a home run with Pouncey, Worilds, and Brown.

As to player development, other than DB it has been pretty good. WR is the clear example - multiple Day 2 and Day 3 picks vastly outperforming their draft spots.

steelreserve
07-17-2017, 10:49 AM
His first draft was Timmons, Woodley, Gay, Spaeth, and Robo-Punter. '08 was '08. Hardly anyone didn't think the Steelers "won" the draft at the time. '09 netted several NFL starters (unfortunately, not for the Steelers), and '10 was a home run with Pouncey, Worilds, and Brown.

As to player development, other than DB it has been pretty good. WR is the clear example - multiple Day 2 and Day 3 picks vastly outperforming their draft spots.

First one was pretty good but ... '10 being a home run? We had one amazing pick (Brown). Pouncey is very good but you'd better get a good player if you draft a center in the first round. And our second-round pick was a complete waste because Worilds SUCKED ASS, which is bad enough to counteract picking one star player. Things were pretty spotty for a few years after that too; I'd say maybe around 2013-14 we started making picks that actually worked.

Drafting a player who struggles with your team and then turns out to be a starter for another team ... now if they were a good player, why would that happen? Maybe because your player development sucked? That was happening left and right for the first half of Tomlin's tenure. If you'll recall, despite having an offensive line of all first and second-round picks, the line still sucked and no one but Pouncey was actually playing well; they all just had "potential."

Basically no one who wasn't a first-round pick or a receiver did anything of note for 4 or 5 years. That sucks.

teegre
07-17-2017, 09:00 PM
TANGENT (about drafts):

The '09 draft:
Mike Wallace had 32 TDs in his first four years. I disagree that that was a bad pick. Yes, he left... but, I'd gladly take 8 TDs per season from a receiver.

Worilds:
Justin Houston was/is the cream of that draft. Guess which OLB from that draft has the second most sacks? (And, he did it in only 5 seasons.)

Mojouw
07-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Also one of the best if not the best center in the league. Sure he's not Webster or Dirt Dawson...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craic
07-19-2017, 12:54 PM
First one was pretty good but ... '10 being a home run? We had one amazing pick (Brown). Pouncey is very good but you'd better get a good player if you draft a center in the first round. And our second-round pick was a complete waste because Worilds SUCKED ASS, which is bad enough to counteract picking one star player. Things were pretty spotty for a few years after that too; I'd say maybe around 2013-14 we started making picks that actually worked.

Sorry, I gotta disagree with you here. Any draft that produces even the outside possibility of two HOF players for the same team is a great draft. Brown is absolutely on a HOF trajectory. Pouncey isn't, yet, but if he can play at the same level he is now for another 5-7 years and get a SB or two under his belt, I'll guarantee he'll be in the discussion.

polamalubeast
07-19-2017, 12:59 PM
2011 was a very good draft with Gilbert and Heyward.....

steelreserve
07-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Sorry, I gotta disagree with you here. Any draft that produces even the outside possibility of two HOF players for the same team is a great draft. Brown is absolutely on a HOF trajectory. Pouncey isn't, yet, but if he can play at the same level he is now for another 5-7 years and get a SB or two under his belt, I'll guarantee he'll be in the discussion.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Brown was the kind of pick that happens once every 5-10 years across the entire league. Pouncey ... great player, but we spent a lot so it was not entirely unexpected. And also, if you told me I could have either a HoF center, or a Pro Bowl (but not HoF) player at virtually any other position, I'd take the other player 10 times out of 10. I know not everyone sees it that same way, so at that point I think it just boils down to a difference of opinion about what constitutes value.

Craic
07-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Brown was the kind of pick that happens once every 5-10 years across the entire league. Pouncey ... great player, but we spent a lot so it was not entirely unexpected. And also, if you told me I could have either a HoF center, or a Pro Bowl (but not HoF) player at virtually any other position, I'd take the other player 10 times out of 10. I know not everyone sees it that same way, so at that point I think it just boils down to a difference of opinion about what constitutes value.

I agree it's pretty much opinion at that point. But after watching the twin horribles (Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig) until Pouncey came along, I'm not sure I'd ever take that trade.

Mojouw
07-19-2017, 07:06 PM

Isn't what your talking about more regarding priorities on the roster? In other words, you're viewing a HOF caliber center as not a prioritized commodity, or at least not with a #1 draft pick.

But in terms of actual draft pick "value" it is hard to argue that the best player at his position during large portions of his career is not a pretty good return on investment.

Looking at the 1st two rounds of the 2010 draft, the only players between Pouncey and Worilds that I might trade for Pouncey are:

Dez Bryant
Jerry Hughes
Rob Gronkowski
Daryl Washington (in this alternate reality he stays sober)

That's not really a list that makes me figure that Pouncey isn't a good draft pick. But again, maybe this all comes from the importance each of us places on the position and the perspective you are looking at it from? :scratchchin:

polamalubeast
07-19-2017, 07:18 PM

I'm sorry, but if the steelers would be cheap on the o-line, our o-line would be bad as the o-line of the Seahawks.

One of the reasons why Dak Prescott and their RB in Dallas had a big rookie season in 2016 was because of their o-line.

polamalubeast
07-19-2017, 07:24 PM
I not miss the seasons that Roethlisberger was sacked 50 times per season and that he was well on pace to break the all-time record for the number of sacks allowed in a career by a QB.

polamalubeast
07-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Isn't what your talking about more regarding priorities on the roster? In other words, you're viewing a HOF caliber center as not a prioritized commodity, or at least not with a #1 draft pick.

But in terms of actual draft pick "value" it is hard to argue that the best player at his position during large portions of his career is not a pretty good return on investment.

Looking at the 1st two rounds of the 2010 draft, the only players between Pouncey and Worilds that I might trade for Pouncey are:

Dez Bryant
Jerry Hughes
Rob Gronkowski
Daryl Washington (in this alternate reality he stays sober)

That's not really a list that makes me figure that Pouncey isn't a good draft pick. But again, maybe this all comes from the importance each of us places on the position and the perspective you are looking at it from? :scratchchin:

The only one I would take in his 4 players is Gronk.

Bryant had off-fields issues at this time, so I don't blame the steelers to not take him, especially with the situations of Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes in this off-season and Hudges,the Colts cut Hudges I think after 2-3 seasons before exploding in Buffalo.

polamalubeast
07-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Also for the center position, the center position was so bad for the Falcons in 2015 (their center had a lot of bad snap,etc) that ruined their offense and their season and after they signed one of the best center in the free agency (Alex Mack) and after their offense was the best last year.

Of course, it was not the only reason but a bad center can hurt very bad a team.

Before Pouncey, our centers were atrocious and it almost cost the super bowl 43 and Pouncey's injury may have cost the super bowl 45.

steelreserve
07-19-2017, 10:33 PM
I don't think Pouncey was a "bad" pick. Overall it was a good pick, actually. It just isn't a pick that makes me go "Holy shit, that was amazing!"

Truth be told, I don't know who would've been a better pick. But sometimes even the best player you can get with a certain pick in a certain year is not a "holy shit" type of value. It doesn't mean we blew it. Just that I think it was merely a very good pick and the draft overall was merely a good draft, not an out-of-this-world one. It certainly wasn't 2009, but it wasn't 2002 (a great draft in a different respect) either.

I also think there is a tendency to look at our roster and assume that if we didn't have that particular player, we would have one of the worst in the league instead. In reality, we would probably have an average player - that's what average means. Before Pouncey, we had two really shitty centers (three if you count Stapleton's cameo), so people think that's how it normally is. Same thing with kickers and punters for a while. And with our secondary recently. But that's not the result of trying to address the position and having average luck; it was the result of ignoring the position and also having bad luck. If you make a reasonable effort, you should expect to get a reasonable player, so I'm basing my assumptions on that instead of assuming, if we didn't have Pouncey, we'd have been complete fuckin' idiots about the offensive line again.

Anyway ... I think we're starting to fix things. Going down the board, we're starting to see a handful of serviceable players outside of the first couple picks, instead of Crezdon Butler and Justin Brown on repeat. The value of that to fill out your roster is incredible. For a long time, it was draft all low-skillcap positions with our high picks, and not all of those even worked out, and most of the other picks didn't either, and after every draft you walked away swearing and wondering why they were so stubborn. That was not a winning strategy. More recently, we've been using the high picks on different things and filling out the roster nicely with the others. A night and day difference from a few years ago.

Mojouw
07-20-2017, 01:03 PM
I don't think Pouncey was a "bad" pick. Overall it was a good pick, actually. It just isn't a pick that makes me go "Holy shit, that was amazing!"

Truth be told, I don't know who would've been a better pick. But sometimes even the best player you can get with a certain pick in a certain year is not a "holy shit" type of value. It doesn't mean we blew it. Just that I think it was merely a very good pick and the draft overall was merely a good draft, not an out-of-this-world one. It certainly wasn't 2009, but it wasn't 2002 (a great draft in a different respect) either.

I also think there is a tendency to look at our roster and assume that if we didn't have that particular player, we would have one of the worst in the league instead. In reality, we would probably have an average player - that's what average means. Before Pouncey, we had two really shitty centers (three if you count Stapleton's cameo), so people think that's how it normally is. Same thing with kickers and punters for a while. And with our secondary recently. But that's not the result of trying to address the position and having average luck; it was the result of ignoring the position and also having bad luck. If you make a reasonable effort, you should expect to get a reasonable player, so I'm basing my assumptions on that instead of assuming, if we didn't have Pouncey, we'd have been complete fuckin' idiots about the offensive line again.

Anyway ... I think we're starting to fix things. Going down the board, we're starting to see a handful of serviceable players outside of the first couple picks, instead of Crezdon Butler and Justin Brown on repeat. The value of that to fill out your roster is incredible. For a long time, it was draft all low-skillcap positions with our high picks, and not all of those even worked out, and most of the other picks didn't either, and after every draft you walked away swearing and wondering why they were so stubborn. That was not a winning strategy. More recently, we've been using the high picks on different things and filling out the roster nicely with the others. A night and day difference from a few years ago.

I can see where you are going with that and I agree. I've thought for at least since the 2014 draft, the team's strategy seems to have shifted. They are not ignoring need, but they are attempting to fill need with guys that possess at least one "WOW!" trait. Size, speed, Football IQ, whatever it is. Some pan out (Shazier, Bryant, Tuitt, etc) and some have fizzled (Archer, Holliman). It isn't that they are ignoring production, but they kinda are.

The last 4 classes have been filled with just some eye raising athletes. It remains to be seen if all of them can manage to translate that into production on Sundays.

I guess the lesson of Jarvis Jones and numerous relatively slow and unexciting DB prospects drove a shift? I would love to know what the organizational thinking is/was - but I do strongly believe there has been some fundamental shift. Is that coming from Colbert? Tomlin? Not-Lebeau? Maybe it is as simple as not thinking they are one draft pick away from a SB appearance? No idea.

Six Rings
07-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Since 2007, when Bill Cowher retired and Mike Tomlin was hired, there has been a great deal of disdain for the new coach, and a longing for the old.

One of the worst things about running a website dedicated to a fan base like the Pittsburgh Steelers is how ugly things can get at times. On the internet, there is very little accountability. You can say whatever you want, regardless of how ignorant, with little to no repercussions to your actions.

I should take this time to mention the large majority of the fan base does not fall into this category. Rather, they fall into the category of level-headed and respectful fans when it pertains to their favorite NFL football team.

However, despite the facts, which many choose to ignore, the one debate which simply won’t go away is the Bill Cowher vs. Mike Tomlin debate. Putting aside how silly it is to constantly debate the value of two coaches who both brought Lombardi trophies to the Steel City is beyond me, but people love to dive into this particular debate.

Therefore, I felt it was the appropriate time to put this to bed once and for all, or at least until the commenters hijack the comment section and it turns south in a hurry.

Most who argue Cowher over Tomlin love to point to stats. The only problem is Tomlin has only been coaching for 10 seasons. So, let’s take a look at the two coaches, after their first 10 seasons at the helm of the black and gold.

read more

Cowher built, molded and drafted his team. He won with jokers at quarterback in Tomzack_Stewart_Miller_Graham...10 games a season with a very narrow margin for error. There's only so much you can do with sub par quarterbacks.

Tomlin would not last with those quarterbacks.

O'Donnell was above average, but he left quickly in free agency. Had he stayed I believe the Steelers would have played in another super bowl.

The Rooney's back them were cheap, partly due to an older three rivers stadium.

If you want stats, Cowher is 5-1 win a pre-prime Ben in the playoffs. Tomlin with Ben in his prime is barely over .500

Tomlin won with Cowher players early in his career and has disappointed a bit since, losing too often to sub .500 teams with too many upset losses in the playoffs relative to our talent.

Having said that the 2017 Steelers are loaded.

Super Bowl or bust!

- - - Updated - - -

Pouncey is injury prone and a bit over rated. I 'd rather spend 12 million a year elsewhere. A stud corner or safety would be nice!

A true impact player is badly missed. The " next man up " can't fill his shoes. If Ben or Hayward is out, the entire team feels it. When Pouncey is out, he's adequately replaced by a no-name free agent. So his value to me is lower than what Joe average fan says.

Playing on our OL, with Decastro, Gilbert, Big V, and Foster, good journeyman can be the center. That has been proven twice when Pouncey missed a significant amount of time.

His contract is up in 2019, I with his injury history and age, he'll retire or be playing for a lot less.

polamalubeast
07-22-2017, 06:17 PM
This is true that the Steelers were almost unbeatable when Cowher had Roethlisberger as QB (27-4 including the playoffs in 2004 and 2005)

I don't count 2006 since Roethlisberger was horrible because of his accident.

pczach
07-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Cowher built, molded and drafted his team. He won with jokers at quarterback in Tomzack_Stewart_Miller_Graham...10 games a season with a very narrow margin for error. There's only so much you can do with sub par quarterbacks.

Tomlin would not last with those quarterbacks.

O'Donnell was above average, but he left quickly in free agency. Had he stayed I believe the Steelers would have played in another super bowl.

The Rooney's back them were cheap, partly due to an older three rivers stadium.

If you want stats, Cowher is 5-1 win a pre-prime Ben in the playoffs. Tomlin with Ben in his prime is barely over .500

Tomlin won with Cowher players early in his career and has disappointed a bit since, losing too often to sub .500 teams with too many upset losses in the playoffs relative to our talent.

Having said that the 2017 Steelers are loaded.

Super Bowl or bust!

- - - Updated - - -

Why is it that Cowher gets credit for doing so much without a great quarterback, but gets no criticism for never being able to identify one or draft one.

Thank God he was forced to take Roethlisberger by Dan Rooney.

The other thing is that since Cowher never had a huge salary quarterback on the roster, he was able to load the roster with talent at all other positions. I love Cowher, but let's not romanticize only his strengths while ignoring his weaknesses.

Way too many people only focus on Tomlin's weaknesses and don't give him credit for his strengths.

The statement you made about Tomlin losing all those games would be the equivalent of me asking how many of those games Cowher would have won without a dominant defense, dominating offensive line, and a dominant running game? Answer: Probably zero

And for the record.....In 2006 Cowher sucked ass and stepped away from the game with Cowher's players.....while Tomlin won a Super Bowl with them as the offensive line turned to shit......Just sayin'

GBMelBlount
07-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Very thankful this debate was put to bed. lol.

I think Ben is the X factor.

You can blame chin for not drafting a Ben, but 85% of teams don't draft a Ben no matter how hard they try.

Look at Cleveland.

st33lersguy
07-22-2017, 08:45 PM
You can point out Tomlin and Cowher's weaknesses all you want, over half the NFL team's would love to have either one, or a coach at the level of either one. The Bengal bitches passed on Cowher and instead hired Dave Shula who in 4 seasons didn't record a winning season. You think Bengirl fans (or at least the very small percentage of them who aren't total morons) think they were better off with Shula because Cowher went 1-4 in home AFC Championship games or didn't do a good job in finding a solid QB?

Six Rings
07-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Why is it that Cowher gets credit for doing so much without a great quarterback, but gets no criticism for never being able to identify one or draft one.

Thank God he was forced to take Roethlisberger by Dan Rooney.

The other thing is that since Cowher never had a huge salary quarterback on the roster, he was able to load the roster with talent at all other positions. I love Cowher, but let's not romanticize only his strengths while ignoring his weaknesses.

Way too many people only focus on Tomlin's weaknesses and don't give him credit for his strengths.

The statement you made about Tomlin losing all those games would be the equivalent of me asking how many of those games Cowher would have won without a dominant defense, dominating offensive line, and a dominant running game? Answer: Probably zero

And for the record.....In 2006 Cowher sucked ass and stepped away from the game with Cowher's players.....while Tomlin won a Super Bowl with them as the offensive line turned to shit......Just sayin'

To be in a position to draft a good QB, you have to spend first round pick, usually inside the top 25, and there has to be a player worth the value.

We lucked out Ben was still on the board, thanks to two other franchise level QB's that were picked earlier ( Manning and Rivers ) , and the Browns picking a Tight End over Ben!

Like I said before, the Steelers let O'Donnell get away. He was a decent passer, good with play action and not mistake prone. IF we had O'Donnell for a few more years, I see one more super bowl appearance.

Free agency in many of Cowher's years was a drain. Rooney can hide behind the lack of stadium money, but it's really on him.

This Rooney forced the Roethlisberger pick is bunk. Cowher had to be on board with it too.

2006 was a super bowl let down year. They happen often. Tomlin took over a super bowl stacked team, with an easy schedule. He made zero adjustments, and like Barry Switzer was just along for the ride.

Once the Cowher players got old or retired, we had back to back 8-8 seasons, and until recently Tomlin coached team were 1-4 in their last five playoff games.

pczach
07-23-2017, 01:37 PM
To be in a position to draft a good QB, you have to spend first round pick, usually inside the top 25, and there has to be a player worth the value.

We lucked out Ben was still on the board, thanks to two other franchise level QB's that were picked earlier ( Manning and Rivers ) , and the Browns picking a Tight End over Ben!

Like I said before, the Steelers let O'Donnell get away. He was a decent passer, good with play action and not mistake prone. IF we had O'Donnell for a few more years, I see one more super bowl appearance.

Free agency in many of Cowher's years was a drain. Rooney can hide behind the lack of stadium money, but it's really on him.

This Rooney forced the Roethlisberger pick is bunk. Cowher had to be on board with it too.

2006 was a super bowl let down year. They happen often. Tomlin took over a super bowl stacked team, with an easy schedule. He made zero adjustments, and like Barry Switzer was just along for the ride.

Once the Cowher players got old or retired, we had back to back 8-8 seasons, and until recently Tomlin coached team were 1-4 in their last five playoff games.

Rooney absolutely insisted on the Roethlisberger pick. Cowher and Colbert were ready to draft offensive tackle Shawn Andrews. This has been known for years. Here's your "bunk".

http://thesportsdaily.com/the-sports-daily/dan-rooney-convinced-bill-cowher-to-draft-ben-roethlisberger/

Somehow....you've managed to blame any shortcomings during the Cowher era on:

The Rooneys being cheap
Neil O'Donnell leaving
Free agency
Cowher had a Super Bowl let down year(I wonder why Tomlin isn't allowed one of those????)

By the way, not all great quarterbacks are drafted in the first 25 picks. Cowher and the Steelers passed on Drew Brees in the second round as well.

Also, comparing Tomlin to Barry Switzer is ridiculous and frankly...ignorant. If you think that's bolstering your argument, you are very sadly mistaken.

Tomlin has been a steady hand and inspirational leader in rebuilding this roster and were one game away from the Super Bowl last year with all but a few players that played for Cowher.......Yeah......Barry Switzer......:toofunny:

I love both of these coaches and feel very fortunate as a fan to have had both of them leading my team.

teegre
07-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Drew Brees
Chad Pennington

:huh:

Cowher built his teams like the Ravens and Buccaneers: stroooong defense and a QB who was good enough. It was a very sound philosophy. Alas, his QB's simply weren't "good enough" in the playoffs.

Cowher was fine with Maddox and wanted Shawn Andrews. Rooney pulled rank.

He made zero adjustments, and like Barry Switzer was just along for the ride.

James Harrison's 100-yard interception return was a direct result of Tomlin's coaching.

Once all of Noll's players* starting getting old/retiring, Cowher had three straight awful seasons.

*(Dermontti Dawson, Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Eric Green, Adrian Cooper, Barry Foster, Justin Strzelczyk, John Jackson, Ernie Mills, Jerol Williams, Gerald Williams, Thomas Everett, Hardy Nickerson, Meril Hoge...)

Born2Steel
07-23-2017, 03:08 PM
I don't think this debate is going to bed.

polamalubeast
07-23-2017, 03:33 PM
Rooney absolutely insisted on the Roethlisberger pick. Cowher and Colbert were ready to draft offensive tackle Shawn Andrews. This has been known for years. Here's your "bunk".

http://thesportsdaily.com/the-sports-daily/dan-rooney-convinced-bill-cowher-to-draft-ben-roethlisberger/

Somehow....you've managed to blame any shortcomings during the Cowher era on:

The Rooneys being cheap
Neil O'Donnell leaving
Free agency
Cowher had a Super Bowl let down year(I wonder why Tomlin isn't allowed one of those????)

By the way, not all great quarterbacks are drafted in the first 25 picks. Cowher and the Steelers passed on Drew Brees in the second round as well.

Also, comparing Tomlin to Barry Switzer is ridiculous and frankly...ignorant. If you think that's bolstering your argument, you are very sadly mistaken.

Tomlin has been a steady hand and inspirational leader in rebuilding this roster and were one game away from the Super Bowl last year with all but a few players that played for Cowher.......Yeah......Barry Switzer......:toofunny:

I love both of these coaches and feel very fortunate as a fan to have had both of them leading my team.

The only point I disagree with you is in bold, since it was obvious that in his last season, Cowher had lost his passion for coaching and the Roethlisberger accident was a big factor in our bad season in 2006.

I agree with you for the rest, the comparison with Barry Switzer would have been valid only if the steelers would have continued to be bad after the 2013 season.

GBMelBlount
07-23-2017, 03:54 PM
I don't think this debate is going to bed.

Looks like another all nighter. :wink02:

st33lersguy
07-23-2017, 05:25 PM

You may have had a point here had Barry Switzer made 3 straight postseason appearances with predominantly players drafted after he took over as head coach or made an AFC Championship game with 2 rookies starting in the secondary, a third on the D-line, without his defensive captain or no. 2 wide receiver, or if he went 10 seasons without a losing season, but he didn't. Instead Switzer took his team from a Super Bowl champion to a 6-10 4th place team in only 2 years while still having a lot of the key pieces from the Dallas Super Bowl runs before getting canned

This is coming from someone who admittedly used the Tomlin won only with Cowher's players line after the 8-8 seasons and when they were stuck hovering around .500 early in 2014.

Also where did the easy schedule line come from? The Steelers had one of the hardest schedules in the league when they won the 08 Super Bowl

Craic
07-23-2017, 06:02 PM
Also where did the easy schedule line come from? The Steelers had one of the hardest schedules in the league when they won the 08 Super Bowl
Yep, only the Browns, Bengals, and Bears had a harder schedule. And, my guess is, the Browns and Bengals had a harder schedule because they had to play the Steelers. In the other SB season (2010), the Steelers had the 10th hardest schedule, again with the the Bengals and Browns having a tougher schedule, probably because they had to play the Steelers.

st33lersguy
07-23-2017, 07:15 PM
Yep, only the Browns, Bengals, and Bears had a harder schedule. And, my guess is, the Browns and Bengals had a harder schedule because they had to play the Steelers. In the other SB season (2010), the Steelers had the 10th hardest schedule, again with the the Bengals and Browns having a tougher schedule, probably because they had to play the Steelers.

Yep 2008 they played the NFC East which had no team finish with a losing record, the AFC South which had 1 team finish with a losing record and 2 teams with 12+ wins, the Patriots at 11 wins plus the 2 regular season games against the 11-5 Rats (plus the AFC Championship game). They also played both no. 1 seeds that year.

2010, the had to go against the NFC South which had 3 teams win 10 games or more, the AFC East which unusually had 2 teams win 11 games or more, and 2 regular season games against 12-4 Baltimore (plus the AFC Divisional round game). Again they played both no. 1 seeds

pczach
07-23-2017, 09:38 PM
The only point I disagree with you is in bold, since it was obvious that in his last season, Cowher had lost his passion for coaching and the Roethlisberger accident was a big factor in our bad season in 2006.

I agree with you for the rest, the comparison with Barry Switzer would have been valid only if the steelers would have continued to be bad after the 2013 season.

That wasn't my reasoning.

I was quoting the reasons that Six Rings listed for anything negative that happened during Cowher's tenure as head coach.

pczach
07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Drew Brees
Chad Pennington

:huh:

Cowher built his teams like the Ravens and Buccaneers: stroooong defense and a QB who was good enough. It was a very sound philosophy. Alas, his QB's simply weren't "good enough" in the playoffs.

Cowher was fine with Maddox and wanted Shawn Andrews. Rooney pulled rank.

James Harrison's 100-yard interception return was a direct result of Tomlin's coaching.

Once all of Noll's players* starting getting old/retiring, Cowher had three straight awful seasons.

*(Dermontti Dawson, Greg Lloyd, Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Eric Green, Adrian Cooper, Barry Foster, Justin Strzelczyk, John Jackson, Ernie Mills, Jerol Williams, Gerald Williams, Thomas Everett, Hardy Nickerson, Meril Hoge...)

He is not able to take his own logic that he uses to criticize Tomlin and apply it to Cowher.

In his mind, those are all Cowher's players...not Noll's.

He just doesn't see it because he doesn't want to.

Mojouw
07-23-2017, 11:22 PM
Cowher arguably bridges NFL eras. He started out when defense and a running game could bring a Lombardi. He finished when you needed a QB. Tomlin has never had the luxury of NOT needing an elite QB. It makes comparison difficult but not impossible.

Long story short, I think they have more in common than they have different. Likely one of the factors that lead the Rooneys to Tomlin.

Either one could've won in any era, but we'll never really know.

Bottom line, fortunate to have this debate. Could've been Rich Kotite or Chip Kelly.

Born2Steel
07-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Cowher arguably bridges NFL eras. He started out when defense and a running game could bring a Lombardi. He finished when you needed a QB. Tomlin has never had the luxury of NOT needing an elite QB. It makes comparison difficult but not impossible.

Long story short, I think they have more in common than they have different. Likely one of the factors that lead the Rooneys to Tomlin.

Either one could've won in any era, but we'll never really know.

Bottom line, fortunate to have this debate. Could've been Rich Kotite or Chip Kelly.

Or....Forrest Gregg or Sam Wyche

teegre
07-24-2017, 09:59 AM
I loved Cowher... and, I defended him for years when IH8Cowher and CowherSux lambasted every single thing that Cowher did. Cowher could do NO right in their eyes. None.

Fast-forward 15 years, and it's déjà vu all over again.

I expect in the year 2032, I'll be defending Yungcoche Nuguy from Steelers fans who are overly critical of his not winning in years seven-thru-nine when Franchize McKuebee (a Tomlin player) retires.

polamalubeast
07-24-2017, 10:08 AM
I loved Cowher a lot, but I'll admit one thing.....The fact that Cowher retired one year after his super bowl helped Cowher a lot.

I mean, Cowher's last memory was his super bowl and it seems that the only thing Cowher needed was a QB.

86WARD
07-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Not quite sure how Cowher or Tomlin are ultimately held responsible for identifying the QB talent. Sure both should have a say, but if it's clear they don't know how to identify talent, there's a scouting staff and a GM that are there to ultimately make the roster decisions.

Tank McGee
07-24-2017, 10:58 AM

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

steelreserve
07-24-2017, 11:56 AM
I loved Cowher a lot, but I'll admit one thing.....The fact that Cowher retired one year after his super bowl helped Cowher a lot.

I mean, Cowher's last memory was his super bowl and it seems that the only thing Cowher needed was a QB.

My last memory of Cowher was of Ricardo Colclough fumbling punt returns, and of the camera panning the Steelers sideline while they were getting crushed by the Ravens something like 31-7 in a game that eliminated them from the playoffs, and the players just looked like they didn't care and wanted to go home, and Cowher was laughing it off like "oh well, I've already got one foot out the door, who cares."

The last GOOD memory of Cowher was the Super Bowl.

86WARD
07-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Cowhers last year was a slow introduction to retirement. He gave up after the Super Bowl.

polamalubeast
07-24-2017, 02:50 PM
My last memory of Cowher was of Ricardo Colclough fumbling punt returns, and of the camera panning the Steelers sideline while they were getting crushed by the Ravens something like 31-7 in a game that eliminated them from the playoffs, and the players just looked like they didn't care and wanted to go home, and Cowher was laughing it off like "oh well, I've already got one foot out the door, who cares."

The last GOOD memory of Cowher was the Super Bowl.

It was obvious that he was not the same coach in 2006!

pczach
07-24-2017, 02:57 PM
I loved Cowher... and, I defended him for years when IH8Cowher and CowherSux lambasted every single thing that Cowher did. Cowher could do NO right in their eyes. None.

I expect in the year 2032, I'll be defending Yungcoche Nuguy from Steelers fans who are overly critical of his not winning in years seven-thru-nine when Franchize McKuebee (a Tomlin player) retires.

The same type of people are going to hound Tomlin until he wins another Super Bowl, and even then....they will find a way to give credit to everyone but him.

It's sad that fans can't appreciate what they have and understand how difficult it is to win consistently in the NFL. It just doesn't happen in many places. You have to have the organization in place to provide a steady flow of talent and to adjust on the fly to salary caps, drafts, injuries, and changing schemes and the personnel to match up. You also must have a head coach that understands how to lead men and how to implement the talent and adjust to the style of play, while also keeping command and a strong voice in the locker room.

That ain't easy.

tube517
07-27-2017, 06:23 PM
My last memory of Cowher was playfully (or not??) pushing Ben on the sidelines to run out the clock near the end of XL. 2006 season is blacked out in my mind

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pczach
07-28-2017, 03:20 AM
My last memory of Cowher was playfully (or not??) pushing Ben on the sidelines to run out the clock near the end of XL. 2006 season is blacked out in my mind

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You only remember what you want to remember. :wink02:

That was a great final snapshot of Cowher's career.

43Hitman
07-28-2017, 03:52 AM

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkHe was definitely NOT playing...didn't you see the look on Ben's face? :chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-08-2017, 05:10 PM
As long as it's going to be close between Cowher and Tomlin, this debate will never be over.

Just watching the reply of his following tweets.

GBMelBlount
08-08-2017, 07:51 PM

Fire Yungcoche Nugy!!!!

pczach
08-09-2017, 05:05 AM
As long as it's going to be close between Cowher and Tomlin, this debate will never be over.

Just watching the reply of his following tweets.

This guy stole my line about Cowher not winning with Cowher's players!

The nerve of that guy! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-09-2017, 05:44 PM
Dunlap: Tomlin Is Second Best In The NFL

PITTSBURGH (93-7 THE FAN) — I don’t have any scientific data and I haven’t consulted Quinnipiac, but it sure feels like Mike Tomlin has a higher approval rating outside western Pennsylvania than he does in these parts.

I don’t get that.

Never will.

Or, maybe for some reason, we are just tougher on our own than we probably should be. Who knows?

Nonetheless, I will make this firm, steadfast statement: Mike Tomlin is the second-best coach in the National Football League right now behind Bill Belichick. Yep, there you have it. He is the man after the man.

If that is something that you raise an eyebrow over or go so far as to vehemently disagree with, I ask you this: Who do you want over Tomlin?

Yeah, that’s your litmus test – who would you take over Tomlin, a man who has won a Super Bowl, been to another, has a 103-57 regular season record, has never had a losing season and is coming off a three-season stretch where the Steelers won 11, 10 and 11 games?

read more

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/08/09/dunlap-tomlin-is-second-best-in-nfl/