PDA

View Full Version : Bryant wants 'man to man' talk with Ben over critical remarks

AtlantaDan
07-13-2017, 11:08 PM
WTF?

When the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) report to training camp in a couple of weeks, wide receiver Martavis Bryant (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16886/martavis-bryant) would like to have a talk with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/5536/ben-roethlisberger).

"I feel like we need to," Bryant told ESPN on Thursday during a break from his offseason workouts here in the 109-degree Nevada desert heat. "We should have a man-to-man. Because some of the things he put out there about me, I kind of didn't agree with how he did it. So I want to sit down and hear his own opinion, man-to-man, about why he did that." ...

"Man-to-man talk. You put it out there, man-to-man, explain to me what you mean."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20015892/martavis-bryant-pittsburgh-steelers-wants-talk-ben-roethlisberger-critical-remarks

Ben meant this

“We talked a lot, every day during his suspension we talked. And then, when [the second suspension] happened, we talked, as soon as the news broke I kind of asked him what happened. He said some things that were just kind of disappointing.”

Roethlisberger said Bryant lied to him, both before the suspension was announced and after.

“I just think the approach, the denial of everything. Looking me in my eye and denying everything, it’s tough. It disappoints you as a man and a guy who cared so much about him. I obviously care a lot about him as a person and a football player.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/07/29/Steelers-QB-Ben-Roethlisberger-says-suspended-WR-Martavis-Bryant-lied-to-him/stories/201607290198

And this

“It’s more than just me. He has to win back everybody’s trust,” Roethlisberger said. “I would hope he comes up to me and we go somewhere to talk in private. After that, he has to show with his work ethic and by staying clean that he cares — really cares — about us."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2017/05/05/Steelers-QB-Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-talk-return-2017-season-NFL-draft/stories/201705050042

Bryant needs to STFU and quit pretending he somehow has been wronged because of his self-created mess. But denial and blame shifting are part of the package for those who cannot give up self-destructive behavior - hard to be optimistic Bryant has put his problems away for good.

st33lersguy
07-13-2017, 11:17 PM
"man to man talk"? How about just amke up for lost time on the football field

smokin3000gt
07-13-2017, 11:34 PM
stfu MB

fansince'76
07-13-2017, 11:42 PM
Yeesh. The Smith-Schuster pick is already looking better and better...

DesertSteel
07-13-2017, 11:54 PM
Yeesh. The Smith-Schuster pick is already looking better and better...
This.

MB thinks Ben owes him an apology??? Use the punk up for a couple years on the cheap and let him walk.

fansince'76
07-14-2017, 12:09 AM
MB thinks Ben owes him an apology??? Use the punk up for a couple years on the cheap and let him walk.

And then he'll STFU and go tear up the league with the Patriots. :doh:

BlackAndGold
07-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Still the same ol immature guy I see.

salamander
07-14-2017, 04:18 AM

Then we'll hear again about how much of a geeeen-yus Belicheat is. :ranger:

Bryant needs to STFU. He's lucky he's even allowed to keep playing.

pczach
07-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Is there something stopping this shit for brains from contacting Ben and talking to him????? No.

Is he implying that he wasn't lying to Ben before he got caught using pot again?????? I guess he was telling Ben he was toking up every day......Yeah......right.

So Ben was talking to him after he made the first mistake, and checking on him to see how he is doing.........but Bryant is the one that feels betrayed???????

I'm not sure this dude is ever going to grow up and become a man.

He needs to STFU and atone for his mistake.

Nobody owes him anything. He is the one with explaining to do to his disappointed teammates.

AtlantaDan
07-14-2017, 08:35 AM
Is there something stopping this shit for brains from contacting Ben and talking to him????? No.

Post-Gazette has picked up the story from ESPN and agrees with your comments :drink:

It’s a little bit strange that Bryant would let his feelings be known to a reporter during the middle of the summer when he had countless opportunities to request a sit-down with Roethlisberger in the spring. If it bothered him that much that they hadn’t talked about the comments then why not confront him immediately upon his reinstatement?

Oh well. They’ll have another six weeks to hash it out in training camp. Or maybe they won’t, and this soap opera can drag right on into the regular season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2017/07/14/Martavis-Bryant-Ben-Roethlisberger-Steelers-man-to-man/stories/201707140160

Well now we know what Ben and Bryant will be asked about when everyone gets to Latrobe later this month

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 09:15 AM
The Steelers without drama is impossible!

86WARD
07-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Meh. The first 95-Yard TD pass to Bryant will cure everything,

Dwinsgames
07-14-2017, 10:04 AM
lets just remember this ..... Ben and Haley do not speak to one another , they dislike one another , they have had no contact ... blah blah blah blah ...the media is click bait , misquotes , out of context speak etc etc etc ...they are pot stirrers , this very well could be just another example of " fake news "

steelreserve
07-14-2017, 11:42 AM
The dude missed an entire year because of his own bonehead move, and the team noticeably suffered because of it.

The only thing you should be saying in that situation is "I can't believe what an idiot I am, I'm a little nervous to show my face around here because I let everyone down, I hope they'll forgive me, and overall I just feel like I should crawl into a garbage can."

Instead he talks shit on Twitter all year and trashes his teammates in the offseason (first Coates, now this). smh.

Mark my words, even if this clown passes all his drug tests, he's going to get arrested or something before the end of the year, and this will be his last season with the team, likely in the league.

st33lersguy
07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Hopefully Juju lives up to his billing. I see no reason to keep Bryant after his contract is up. Let Miami or Jacksonville blow a bunch of money on him and then watch him use the lack of a QB as an excuse to not live up to his contract

SteelMember
07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
The dude missed an entire year because of his own bonehead move, and the team noticeably suffered because of it.

The only thing you should be saying in that situation is "I can't believe what an idiot I am, I'm a little nervous to show my face around here because I let everyone down, I hope they'll forgive me, and overall I just feel like I should crawl into a garbage can."

Instead he talks shit on Twitter all year and trashes his teammates in the offseason (first Coates, now this). smh.

Mark my words, even if this clown passes all his drug tests, he's going to get arrested or something before the end of the year, and this will be his last season with the team, likely in the league.

True story...

DesertSteel
07-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Brady will be gone in 2 years.

Shoes
07-14-2017, 11:14 PM
Meh. The first 95-Yard TD pass to Bryant will cure everything,

Yep! ...and JuJu is going to replace Coates not Bryant.

hawaiiansteeler
07-15-2017, 12:12 AM
it's on Martavis to fix the relationship with Ben, not the other way around...

Shoes
07-15-2017, 12:18 AM
Still the same ol immature guy I see.

Most of these guys are immature and Bryant at 25 still has some growing up to do. But lets not forget Ben was 27 when he demonstrated his maturity.

ALLD
07-15-2017, 06:41 AM
It is going to take awhile for all of the pot to dissipate from his brain. His mind is still clouded and he has limited self-awareness. He needs to grow up and be a man. He is the one who F'd up and let the team down.

BurghBoy412
07-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Aaaaand another non issue gets published and blown outta proportion! Bryant hasn't even been fully reinstated yet. I'm not sure he can play in games yet. He's allowed to practice but not sure if he can suit up on Sunday. Personally I'd rather they cut ties with Bryant and see how well Tone, Eli, and JuJu do together. Martavis Bryant is a loser and he's going nowhere FAST!

Hawkman
07-15-2017, 09:42 AM
lets just remember this ..... Ben and Haley do not speak to one another , they dislike one another , they have had no contact ... blah blah blah blah ...the media is click bait , misquotes , out of context speak etc etc etc ...they are pot stirrers , this very well could be just another example of " fake news "

Agreed......when does camp start? ��

Born2Steel
07-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Ben called Bryant out the season before last with how he expected more from Bryant. This is being played like a rebuttal. "Man to Man"? Not sure if Bryant understands fully why he's called "Big Ben". The leader of THIS team is not going to be intimidated by some 'what could be' player that continually lets the team down. De-esculate, Bryant, or this will not end quite the way you expect.

teegre
07-15-2017, 10:31 AM
My son just turned three, and he wanted to have a man-to-man about his bedtime.

#allegory

polamalubeast
07-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Craic
07-15-2017, 04:05 PM
I think this thread is blowing it out of proportion even from the article. Here's Bryant's quote:

"We should have a man-to-man. Because some of the things he put out there about me, I kind of didn't agree with how he did it. So I want to sit down and hear his own opinion, man-to-man, about why he did that.
So, what's immature about that? I read him saying, "we need to get together so I can hear from him what he really meant." IDK, but that's a pretty mature attitude. He's not going to react, he's just going to go talk to the guy.

And then, there's the following quote later in the article from Ben's statement he was disappointed and Bryant let down the team:

"At that time, I was going through a lot of stuff. I wasn't really even worried about his opinion at that time, because there was just a lot that was going on," Bryant said Thursday. "He's my brother. I love him. But at the same time, I have my own family outside of football. I have my own problems. I'm not just going to come up to you and open up to you about what's going on with my personal life. That's not how I am. We just didn't see eye-to-eye on that, but as far as right now, everything's great."

Again, I see nothing earthshaking in that statement. In fact, it sounds like he has his head on his shoulders finally as he statement is basically: "I didn't worry about them at the time because I had to focus on getting my crap together." Also note he went out of his way to say he has no problem with Ben.

On top of that, all of this is actually in response to Ben saying he hoped Bryant would come and talk to him. Bryant's response: "Yeah, you're right, we should have a man-to-man discussion."

-------------

I so can't wait for the season to start.

Mojouw
07-15-2017, 04:13 PM
I think this thread is blowing it out of proportion even from the article. Here's Bryant's quote:

So, what's immature about that? I read him saying, "we need to get together so I can hear from him what he really meant." IDK, but that's a pretty mature attitude. He's not going to react, he's just going to go talk to the guy.

And then, there's the following quote later in the article from Ben's statement he was disappointed and Bryant let down the team:

Again, I see nothing earthshaking in that statement. In fact, it sounds like he has his head on his shoulders finally as he statement is basically: "I didn't worry about them at the time because I had to focus on getting my crap together." Also note he went out of his way to say he has no problem with Ben.

On top of that, all of this is actually in response to Ben saying he hoped Bryant would come and talk to him. Bryant's response: "Yeah, you're right, we should have a man-to-man discussion."

-------------

I so can't wait for the season to start.

Once again, Craic brings reason and sanity to a thread!

Of course, if Cowher was still the coach - all this would've never happened. :behindsofa:

AtlantaDan
07-15-2017, 05:13 PM
I think this thread is blowing it out of proportion even from the article. Here's Bryant's quote

We should have a man-to-man. Because some of the things he put out there about me, I kind of didn't agree with how he did it. So I want to sit down and hear his own opinion, man-to-man, about why he did that.

So, what's immature about that?

Because a mature attitude is you simply talk to Ben during the mini-camp you just spent together or talk to him when you get to Latrobe in two weeks rather than tell a reporter you are not happy about what Ben said and need to have a talk that you could have but have not already held.:confused:

Bryant wanted to generate a story so everyone would know he is ticked off at Ben based upon whatever reasoning goes into a five star screwup brooding about being called out for his past idiotic behavior.

Charles Manson or the Unabomber would be fan favorites if they had a dozen sacks or ten touchdowns and I agree with previous posts that all will be forgiven if Bryant consistently plays this season as well as he has intermittently played in 2014 and 2015.

But he is simply and intentionally stirring s**t in this instance after claiming this was how he intended to deal with the situation last January in this interview

Will you say anything to the team if you go back?

MB: No. What happened happened. What’s done is done. There’s nothing for me to say. Just move on and show with my actions. They’ll see on the field. I’m not going to go back and say nothing. They’re grown men....

Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?

MB: I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-suspension-steelers-marijuana-reinstatement

So Bryant does not have to say anything to anyone on the Steelers about his serial misconduct because that is how "grown men" handle it but Ben has to "give his own opinion, man to man, about why he did that" to Bryant to explain why Ben called him out for his screwups?

Got it.

Agreed I am ready for the offseason to end :drink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAlrzcdfRY

Craic
07-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Because a mature attitude is you simply talk to Ben during the mini-camp you just spent together or talk to him when you get to Latrobe in two weeks rather than tell a reporter you are not happy about what Ben said and need to have a talk that you could have but have not already held.:confused:

Bryant wanted to generate a story so everyone would know he is ticked off at Ben based upon whatever reasoning goes into a five star screwup brooding about being called out for his past idiotic behavior.

Charles Manson or the Unabomber would be fan favorites if they had a dozen sacks or ten touchdowns and I agree with previous posts that all will be forgiven if Bryant consistently plays this season as well as he has intermittently played in 2014 and 2015.

But he is simply and intentionally stirring s**t in this instance after claiming this was how he intended to deal with the situation last January in this interview

MB: No. What happened happened. What’s done is done. There’s nothing for me to say. Just move on and show with my actions. They’ll see on the field. I’m not going to go back and say nothing. They’re grown men....

Last year, when you were banned, Ben Roethlisberger said you had lied to him. Are you worried about your relationship with your quarterback?

MB: I’m a grown man and he’s a grown man. I’m not going up to another grown man and explain my business to him. I understand he’s my teammate and I love my teammate and he’s a leader. But I have my own life and he has his own life.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/13/martavis-bryant-suspension-steelers-marijuana-reinstatement

So Bryant does not have to say anything to anyone on the Steelers about his serial misconduct because that is how "grown men" handle it but Ben has to "give his own opinion, man to man, about why he did that" to Bryant to explain why Ben called him out for his screwups?

Got it.

True, but check out the date on that story. It was January. Remember how fast Ben matured the Midgeville incident. If Bryant has been serious about getting his life straight, then his level of maturity could be leaps and bounds above this. On top of that, he didn't say Ben "had to" give his own opinion. Rather, he would talk to Ben. It's a "clear the air" moment he's looking for, in my opinion.

As for talking about it to the press, I would like to hear the interview first. I still remember Smith supposedly guaranteeing a win over the Patriots when, in fact, he really said nothing of the sort. Instead what he said was that yeah, they would win if they did everything right.

GBMelBlount
07-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they did their "talking" on the field...

pczach
07-15-2017, 09:35 PM

Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAlrzcdfRY

Martavis Bryant is a grown man, and James Harrison is a grown man.

I wonder how Martavis will feel about his statement about explaining himself when James Harrison has him around the neck? :lol:

Craic
07-15-2017, 10:03 PM
Martavis Bryant is a grown man, and James Harrison is a monster in the form of a man.

I wonder how Martavis will feel about his statement about explaining himself when James Harrison has him around the neck? :lol:

Fixed it for you.

DesertSteel
07-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Martavis Bryant is a grown man
Being grown doesn't make one a man. I don't see a lot of manhood coming out of MB.

pczach
07-16-2017, 06:51 AM
Fixed it for you.

http://horrorfreaknews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/creature-grabbed-by-the-neck.jpg

:chuckle:

tube517
07-16-2017, 02:26 PM
http://horrorfreaknews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/creature-grabbed-by-the-neck.jpg

:chuckle:

In the movie "Friday", James Harrison would obviously be Deebo and Bryant would be Smokey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Hp_Y1eDoc

Edman
07-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Being grown doesn't make one a man. I don't see a lot of manhood coming out of MB.

Martavis Bryant got triggered by someone else's comments based around the clearly stupid and irresponsible team-damaging choices he made. He clearly didn't give a damn about "man to man talk" when he left the Steelers short a receiver and forced to go with Stone-hands Sammie Coates last year because he didn't go to his drug testing program, knowing what was at stake and the reprocussions he was facing.

He's grown, but he isn't a man. He's a ****.

Craic
07-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Martavis Bryant got triggered by someone else's comments based around the clearly stupid and irresponsible team-damaging choices he made. He clearly didn't give a damn about "man to man talk" when he left the Steelers short a receiver and forced to go with Stone-hands Sammie Coates last year because he didn't go to his drug testing program, knowing what was at stake and the reprocussions he was facing.

He's grown, but he isn't a man. He's a ****.

That's a bit unfair. You're basically saying he's the exact same man now that he was a year ago, when there's been several reports and comments by several others that he has, in fact, changed considerably.

st33lersguy
07-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Martavis Bryant is a grown man

LOL that made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZpcZC1mBIk

SteelMember
07-20-2017, 01:39 PM
I guess whatever works...

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/20/martavis-bryant-uses-poison-frogs-to-help-with-recovery/

smokin3000gt
07-20-2017, 10:27 PM
it's pot not heroin...

AtlantaDan
07-21-2017, 06:43 AM
I guess whatever works...

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/20/martavis-bryant-uses-poison-frogs-to-help-with-recovery/

Sounds great

At first, the person feels a few moments of serenity, but within seconds, that feeling turns to suffering and can force the person to vomit.

The effect shortly fades away, and practitioners say it’s worth it, claiming the process can cure depression (http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/health/depression.htm), drug dependency, heart problems, high blood pressure (http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/health/high-blood-pressure.htm) and gastrointestinal issues.

“You throw up, you feel very sick, you feel like you’re going to die,” [one person] said, laughing. “And finally it’s going away, and after that, you have a kind of a feeling of being relieved.”

http://abcnews.go.com/International/amazonian-tree-frogs-poison-part-latest-super-cleanse/story?id=46431345

So much for Bryant getting adult supervision to stay clean

When Bryant fails another drug test he presumably will blame this

SteelMember
07-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Sounds great

At first, the person feels a few moments of serenity, but within seconds, that feeling turns to suffering and can force the person to vomit.

The effect shortly fades away, and practitioners say it’s worth it, claiming the process can cure depression (http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/health/depression.htm), drug dependency, heart problems, high blood pressure (http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/health/high-blood-pressure.htm) and gastrointestinal issues.

“You throw up, you feel very sick, you feel like you’re going to die,” [one person] said, laughing. “And finally it’s going away, and after that, you have a kind of a feeling of being relieved.”

http://abcnews.go.com/International/amazonian-tree-frogs-poison-part-latest-super-cleanse/story?id=46431345

So much for Bryant getting adult supervision to stay clean

When Bryant fails another drug test he presumably will blame this

I know, right. Reading that, I instantly thought of Alexs' treatments in A Clockwork Orange... kinda disturbing.

Mojouw
07-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Article on Steelers Depot today that provides context and all of Bryant's interview. Turns out to be a much more contrite and softer worded deal. So oddly enough an off season story is overblow. How unexpected.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07/martavis-bryant-clicked-i-stop-smoking/

SteelMember
10-24-2017, 02:23 PM
I think Bryant has licked too many of those poison frogs he was using for recovery...