PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Questions: What 90s Steelers Defender Would You Plug Into Today’s Defense?

polamalubeast
07-12-2017, 09:55 AM
The 2016 season is unfortunately over, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are now embarking upon their latest offseason journey, heading back to the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, formerly known and still referred to as the ‘South Side’ facility of Heinz Field. While the postseason is now behind us, there is plenty left to discuss.

And there are plenty of questions left unanswered as well. The offseason is just really the beginning phase of the answer-seeking process, which is lasts all the way through the Super Bowl for teams fortunate enough to reach that far.

You can rest assured that we have the questions, and we will be monitoring the developments in the offseason as they develop, and beyond, looking for the answers as we look to evaluate the makeup of the Steelers as they try to navigate their way back to the Super Bowl, after reaching the AFC Championship game last season for the first time in more than half a decade.

Question: What Steelers defender from the 1990s would you install into their current defense?

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07/2017-offseason-questions-90s-steelers-defender-plug-todays-defense/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Dwinsgames
07-12-2017, 10:00 AM
The 2016 season is unfortunately over, and the Pittsburgh Steelers are now embarking upon their latest offseason journey, heading back to the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, formerly known and still referred to as the ‘South Side’ facility of Heinz Field. While the postseason is now behind us, there is plenty left to discuss.

And there are plenty of questions left unanswered as well. The offseason is just really the beginning phase of the answer-seeking process, which is lasts all the way through the Super Bowl for teams fortunate enough to reach that far.

You can rest assured that we have the questions, and we will be monitoring the developments in the offseason as they develop, and beyond, looking for the answers as we look to evaluate the makeup of the Steelers as they try to navigate their way back to the Super Bowl, after reaching the AFC Championship game last season for the first time in more than half a decade.

Question: What Steelers defender from the 1990s would you install into their current defense?

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/07/2017-offseason-questions-90s-steelers-defender-plug-todays-defense/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

great question ...

a very good argument could be made for linebackers
Greg Lloyd
Levon Kirkland

the easy pick would be Rod Woodson or perhaps even Carnell Lake .....

can I have all 4 please ?

steelreserve
07-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Rod Woodson, he would fill a BIG question mark with a HOF level player.

Obviously a guy like Lloyd would also be a big help, but I think the need at OLB is a bit less dire and we have some exciting potential already.

Let me throw Joel Steed in there too as another good one; while good, our DL is pretty thin and it would help to have a dominant guy like that.

Still though - Woodson, it's barely even a debate.

SteelerFanInStl
07-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Rod Woodson would be my first choice but I'd be happy with Lloyd also.

tube517
07-12-2017, 12:16 PM
1. Woodson - HOFer
2. Lloyd - Team w/Deebo would be scary
3. Lake - Secondary is suspect and he would be a huge upgrade
4. Kirkland - Team w/Shazier would be scary

Oklahoma drill - Le'Veon vs Levon???

SteelMember
07-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Seems like Woodson would be the obvious choice... followed by Lake as secondary players.

Lloyd has been mentioned a couple times already and would be a great choice, but how about Kevin Greene or Chad Brown from those 93-94 teams at LB?

Ray Seals at DE.

BlackAndGold
07-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Woodson.

DesertSteel
07-12-2017, 12:45 PM
James Harrison

Born2Steel
07-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Bob Fitzsimmons.

st33lersguy
07-12-2017, 04:23 PM
1. Woodson- HOFer, one of the 5 greatest corners ever. Big upgrade over cockrell. Make it easier on burns.
2. Lake- big upgrade over Mitchell. Provides much needed safety depth
3. Kirkland- pair with shazier. Much needed ilb depth

pczach
07-12-2017, 06:26 PM
If you have to pick just one, it has to be Woodson. He's an all-time great and a HOF player. He returned kicks, he played at an elite level as a cover corner, he hit like a safety, and he had elite speed and athleticism and was tough as nails.

He's a no-brainer.

Mojouw
07-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Woodson.

FWIW I would go Chad Brown over Kirkland. As much as I love the big guy, Browns skills are better suited to now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALLD
07-12-2017, 06:57 PM
After Woodson it would need to be Lloyd. The current defense is too nice.

Dwinsgames
07-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Woodson.

FWIW I would go Chad Brown over Kirkland. As much as I love the big guy, Browns skills are better suited to now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but but but the big guy ( Kirkland ) could run with TE's ( and actually cover them )

silver & black
07-12-2017, 07:57 PM
You can't have Woodson..... he's a Raider forever.:jolly:......:wink02:

BurghBoy412
07-12-2017, 10:06 PM
The Bus, Dermontti, Chad Oliver Scott, and Orpheus Roye just so I can have a reason to say "Orpheus Roye"

Steeldude
07-12-2017, 11:02 PM
1. Rod Woodson

2. Carnell Lake

3. Greg Lloyd

4. Dermontii Dawson

Six Rings
07-13-2017, 01:32 AM
Woodson

tube517
07-13-2017, 06:19 AM
You can't have Woodson..... he's a Raider forever.:jolly:......:wink02:

Charles is yours.

Rod is ours.

:heh:

43Hitman
07-13-2017, 02:56 PM
- - - Updated - - -

Charles is yours.

Rod is ours.

:heh::applaudit: :tt02:

86WARD
07-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Woodson. No doubt.

steelreserve
07-13-2017, 07:11 PM
The Bus, Dermontti,

4. Dermontii Dawson

Great as those players were, I don't know how much value a running back and a center would add to our defense.

BurghBoy412
07-13-2017, 10:07 PM
Great as those players were, I don't know how much value a running back and a center would add to our defense.
I'd take Dawson over Pouncey any day. As for Jerome, I think a great short yardage goal line RB would benefit this team greatly. I've never seen a back the likes of Bell! But if he has one weakness I would say it's short yardage, pound it up the guy type physicality.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-14-2017, 04:00 AM
Eric Green to whoever lacks faith in Jesse. Funny lol how post got hijacked and means offense players too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steeldude
07-14-2017, 04:46 AM

He is arguably the greatest center of all-time and he was very durable. He's 4th on my list. He would be a huge upgrade over Pouncey.

polamalubeast
07-14-2017, 06:10 AM
I'd take Dawson over Pouncey any day. As for Jerome, I think a great short yardage goal line RB would benefit this team greatly. I've never seen a back the likes of Bell! [B]But if he has one weakness I would say it's short yardage, pound it up the guy type physicality.

Not true

The steelers were the second best team on the 3rd down and short last year

BurghBoy412
07-14-2017, 06:56 AM
Mel Blount

BurghBoy412
07-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Jack Hamm bone

BurghBoy412
07-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Not true

The steelers were the second best team on the 3rd down and short last year

Was that due to 12 game Bell?

pczach
07-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Mel Blount

The original question was which player from the 1990's Steelers defense would you plug in.

Mel Blount would be awesome, but doesn't qualify.:D

Dwinsgames
07-14-2017, 10:10 AM
The original question was which player from the 1990's Steelers defense would you plug in.

Mel Blount would be awesome, but doesn't qualify.:D

that being said , not sure how well he would handle todays game , I mean his play style makes Richard Shermans hands on approach look like a timid choir boy .... Blount flat out abused guys , he didn't just grab the jersey he would body slam you , head smack you and make your momma cry

steelreserve
07-14-2017, 11:32 AM
He is arguably the greatest center of all-time and he was very durable. He's 4th on my list. He would be a huge upgrade over Pouncey.

defense

^^^

pczach
07-14-2017, 01:01 PM
that being said , not sure how well he would handle todays game , I mean his play style makes Richard Shermans hands on approach look like a timid choir boy .... Blount flat out abused guys , he didn't just grab the jersey he would body slam you , head smack you and make your momma cry

I was just reminding him of the original subject of the post. That doesn't mean I would choose Blount if he was part of the discussion.

The discussion about Blount would be fascinating.

Could he play today's game as a shut down corner with today's rules? I don't know, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Could he be a dominant physical force and perhaps be a great safety? I think so.

I think Blount was so physically gifted, that he would be able to adjust and still be able to be a great player in today's game at corner or safety.

Woodson would still be my choice because he does translate to the modern game very well. An elite athlete with elite speed and cover skills. He became the physical standard of the modern cornerback from a size, speed, athleticism standpoint. A truly dominant, great player.

86WARD
07-14-2017, 01:46 PM
I'd take Woodson all day at CB or S.

But since it was brought up, I think the player from the 70s that could translate best to today's game is Stallworth.

teegre
07-14-2017, 03:34 PM

As much as would agree with you about adding Dawson and moving Pouncey to LG, because it would make this one of the all-time most talented O-lines in history...

...as steelreserve was trying to point out, the question is about defense (and, Dawson played offense). Make sense?