PDA

View Full Version : Deion Sanders trade talk

RunNGun
07-02-2017, 06:31 PM
Deion claimed the Steelers should trade for Pat Pete. Another analyst thought they should trade for Von Miller. It was also mentioned Nevada had passed recreational marijuana use in the same day. One can dream.

st33lersguy
07-02-2017, 06:54 PM
They would have to give up a lot for those players, too much to bring in one guy

GBMelBlount
07-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Our window for a championship is small.

I would hate to look back in 2 or 3 years, when Ben retires, and wonder if we didn't win a championship because we didn't add that missing piece to the secondary.

salamander
07-02-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't see the Steelers as being the type of team to make that big of a trade.

RunNGun
07-03-2017, 03:04 AM
I don't think they would ever make a blockbuster trade, but it's fun to imagine the possibilities with a Pat Pete or Von Miller. If Denver is in rebuild mode, maybe Miller could be had for a 1st and 2nd rd pick? I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Rotorhead
07-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Von Miller is not leaving Denver haha

BlackAndGold
07-03-2017, 01:57 PM
It's so rare for top tier players to be traded in the NFL.

GBMelBlount
07-03-2017, 02:24 PM
Does anyone think it would have been nice to have Weddle for $7 mil a year?

I believe he signed a 4 year free agency deal last year for $29 mil.

st33lersguy
07-03-2017, 05:15 PM
The problem with the Steelers trading for a top tier player is it will cost them at least 3 high draft picks and eat up whatever remaining salary cap space they will have left. At that point it will be next to impossible to re-sign important players already on the team and you risk losing them as well. Plus the star player may not even fit into the Steelers system. Giving up too many resources for one guy is never a good move in the NFL

86WARD
07-03-2017, 05:55 PM
I would figure out a deal for Peterson, but that would be it. I would give up the picks if they thought he could fit their scheme. It's a lot to give up for a Nnamdi Asomugha situation...lol.

Craic
07-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Honestly,

At this point and with the draft we've had, I wouldn't trade for anyone unless a deal falls in our lap. I think Ben has another 2-3 years left in him (unless he wins a SB, in which case he goes the Bettis route). So, while the window is closing, it's not slammed shut yet.

RunNGun
07-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Honestly,

At this point and with the draft we've had, I wouldn't trade for anyone unless a deal falls in our lap. I think Ben has another 2-3 years left in him (unless he wins a SB, in which case he goes the Bettis route). So, while the window is closing, it's not slammed shut yet.

I'm leaning more towards this is it for Ben. I really believe he's serious about retirement and this upcoming will be his last. That's why a blockbuster doesn't seem impossible to me, but highly unlikely.

st33lersguy
07-03-2017, 10:52 PM
I saw the video, they suggested Holdy McBigMouth as well (put it as him or Pat Peterson), though that idea would be rejected by most of the people on this forum (me included)

ALLD
07-04-2017, 08:24 AM
Steelers don't make those trades or signings. It would upset the salary balance and team chemistry.

Born2Steel
07-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Seems to me our weakest position this offseason is at safety. Peterson could come in and start, leaving Burns as his backup. This makes the CB position pretty damn solid. But doesn't help the safety spot a bit.
Cockrell, Peterson, Burns, and Sutton is strong, and would be tough to pass up. I'm still wondering why we haven't pursued Revis though. I would look into that before trading for anybody.

polamalubeast
07-04-2017, 09:23 AM
Colbert does not think the safety position is a weakness for the Steelers....

st33lersguy
07-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Colbert does not think the safety position is a weakness for the Steelers....

Safety is a weakness on the team. The team ranked in the bottom 3 in pass defense over the middle last year. Also if Sean Davis goes down with an injury, this is all they'll have at the position

Mike Mitchell
Robert Golden
Jordan Dangerfield
The nobody they picked up from Tennessee

That's it. It is a weakness

polamalubeast
07-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Safety is a weakness on the team. The team ranked in the bottom 3 in pass defense over the middle last year. Also if Sean Davis goes down with an injury, this is all they'll have at the position

Mike Mitchell
Robert Golden
Jordan Dangerfield

I agree, but Colbert does not think it's a weakness since he has not made any effort to improve this position in this offseason.

st33lersguy
07-04-2017, 09:31 AM
I'm still wondering why we haven't pursued Revis though. I would look into that before trading for anybody.

Trying Revis out at safety for cheap price really isn't a bad idea at this point without better options available. If he works out, they get an upgrade at the position, if not they are still not much worse off

Born2Steel
07-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Trying Revis out at safety for cheap price really isn't a bad idea at this point without better options available. If he works out, they get an upgrade at the position, if not they are still not much worse off

That is how I see it also. I don't understand why he hasn't been tried out. Must be something else, like a failed physical or something. I can't find a reason though.

86WARD
07-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Mike Mitchell
Robert Golden
Jordan Dangerfield

Who is at LB when Shazier goes down?

st33lersguy
07-04-2017, 05:26 PM
Who is at LB when Shazier goes down?

I know LB is another position that is currently thin, but I was responding to the notion that Colbert thought the safety position wasn't a weakness when clearly it was

RunNGun
07-04-2017, 09:04 PM
I'm curious as to why everyone thinks safety is a weakness? Imo, people don't like Mitchell because of his antics more so than his ability to play football. He's a solid player who gets the job done. Depth might be thin, but Dangerfield and Golden are both capable players. I don't see how Revis could be an upgrade at a position he has never played in the league. I'd be more open to Revis coming in as a corner and mentoring our young guys.

- - - Updated - - -

ILB, imo, is where we need the most help at. Like mentioned above, when Shazier goes down to due his reckless style, who can step in and take his place? Maybe they really like what they have in Matakevich.

st33lersguy
07-04-2017, 09:34 PM
I'm curious as to why everyone thinks safety is a weakness? Imo, people don't like Mitchell because of his antics more so than his ability to play football. He's a solid player who gets the job done. Depth might be thin, but Dangerfield and Golden are both capable players. I don't see how Revis could be an upgrade at a position he has never played in the league. I'd be more open to Revis coming in as a corner and mentoring our young guys.

- - - Updated - - -

ILB, imo, is where we need the most help at. Like mentioned above, when Shazier goes down to due his reckless style, who can step in and take his place? Maybe they really like what they have in Matakevich.

Mitchell gets exposed without a monster front 7 and when the team is not up against weak passing Os and he is out of position too often. Also as mentioned previously, Golden and Dangerfield are both inept in coverage situations. If Sean Davis gets hurt, does anyone really want one of those two starting in a playoff game against Tom Brady or Derek Carr? I hope not.

RunNGun
07-04-2017, 10:07 PM
Mitchell gets exposed without a monster front 7 and when the team is not up against weak passing Os and he is out of position too often. Also as mentioned previously, Golden and Dangerfield are both inept in coverage situations. If Sean Davis gets hurt, does anyone really want one of those two starting in a playoff game against Tom Brady or Derek Carr? I hope not.

That's when the greed of a Steelers fan sets in. You can't expect backups to come in and the team not miss a beat. They're backups for a reason. There are 31 other teams in the NFL and they all have backup players as well. Some teams are deeper in the secondary, some teams are deep at WR (steelers), but every team has a weakness. There's not one team in the league that can plug and play without missing a beat, but we as Steelers fans, including myself, expect that. Injuries are part of the game and every team deals with them. Imo, that's when coaching has to take over. Adjust the scheme to fit the players strengths.

pczach
07-05-2017, 07:42 AM
If the defense is able to play more man coverage this year, it will free up the safeties to attack the ball carriers, blitz the quarterback, give them the ability to roam and deliver big hits without having to cover as often, and frees theme up to be more versatile and aggressive in all phases of the game.

Simply by addressing the cornerback and the edge rusher positions in the draft, they will be making the safety play better. In theory, that is how I believe the Steelers are looking at it. It will allow a player like Mitchell to do more things he excels at on the field, while hiding more of his deficiencies. Playing to his strengths instead of forcing him to be in situations that play to his weaknesses.

This is the affect that acquiring personnel that are able to play press man coverage can do if they are complimented by a good pass rush. The safeties will be able to move all over the field to blow up plays. Sometimes they cover. Sometimes they come up to the LOS. Sometimes they line up in man coverage and then blitz while a LB covers the TE. There are a lot of possibilities and the offenses have to account for all of them. Just the versatility and the sheer options at the defensive coordinator's disposal alone will help. Quarterbacks will need to figure more things out, and have to guess more. This should create more negative plays for opposing offenses and get the defense off the field more often.

BlackAndGold
07-09-2017, 11:15 AM
If they make a trade for anyone, I hope it's for ILB depth, or someone like Darren Sproles who would give the team excellent return abilities, and yet "another" option on offense.

Mojouw
07-09-2017, 12:26 PM
In an ideal world, the Steelers would be able to spin off some of their depth at WR into either a youngish player for safety depth - say Eric Murray from KC.

I can name 3 guys that might not make the Steelers roster that are better than everyone aside from Hill currently listed at WR on KC's roster.

A little small for a safety, but does that really matter anymore?