PDA

View Full Version : The New Steel Curtain

Born2Steel
06-28-2017, 05:22 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817780/article/making-the-leap-pittsburgh-steelers-defense

An interesting read. Even if it assumes much.

st33lersguy
06-28-2017, 05:48 PM
I hope to see this defense become dominant again. Certainly the defense will have to step up, especially in the postseason, if this team is going to win the Super Bowl. They can't win the Super Bowl with just offense alone

GBMelBlount
06-28-2017, 07:17 PM
I hope to see this defense become dominant again. Certainly the defense will have to step up, especially in the postseason, if this team is going to win the Super Bowl. They can't win the Super Bowl with just offense alone

Actually, if this offense reaches and plays to it's full potential, they could score 30+ points and beat the Patriots even with last years defense imo.

polamalubeast
06-28-2017, 07:23 PM
Actually, if this offense reaches and plays to it's full potential, they could score 30+ points and beat the Patriots even with last years defense imo.

No, not with the way our defense played against the pats ....If our offense would have scored 30 points or more against the Pats, the Pats would have scored 55 points like in 2013.

I mean, the pats have only had ONE Punt and no turnovers in this game and the punt was in the first quarter on the second drive of the game.

The Pats defense is very good, so the Steelers offense need help from their defense.Our offense has always no margin of error against the Pats.

GBMelBlount
06-28-2017, 07:28 PM
No, not with the way our defense played against the pats ....If our offense would have scored 30 points or more against the Pats, the Pats would have scored 55 points like in 2013.

I mean, the pats have only had ONE Punt and no turnovers in this game and the punt was in the first quarter on the second drive of the game.

The Pats defense is very good, so the Steelers offense need help from their defense.Our offense has always no margin of error against the Pats.

No.

If Ben and this offense play to their full potential they could score 40 points on anyone and with our increased time of possession we would keep the patriots under 40.

st33lersguy
06-28-2017, 07:34 PM

In 34 games Bellichick has been head coach of the Patriots, his team had only surrendered 30 or more points in only 3 playoff games. Can't bank on scoring 30 points in the postseason against the Patriots and you can't surrender a lot of points in general in the postseason and expect to win the Super Bowl. Defense needs to step up, the defense has young players with potential, it just has to translate

polamalubeast
06-28-2017, 07:38 PM
No.

If Ben and this offense play to their full potential they could score 40 points on anyone and with our increased time of possession we would keep the patriots under 40.

The time of possession is not the problem against the pats

The pats only had 8 drives in the AFC title game and they scored 36 points !!!!

Against every defense, the steelers offense are going to make punt and sometimes a turnover, if our defense is not able to force the pats to make a punt, we have no chance.

GBMelBlount
06-28-2017, 08:44 PM
In 34 games Bellichick has been head coach of the Patriots, his team had only surrendered 30 or more points in only 3 playoff games. Can't bank on scoring 30 points in the postseason against the Patriots and you can't surrender a lot of points in general in the postseason and expect to win the Super Bowl. Defense needs to step up, the defense has young players with potential, it just has to translate

We have arguably the best runningback, # 1 receiver and arguably the best receiving corp with Bryant as #2, a top 3 line and arguably a top 3 quarterback.

What is the last offense that can boast this?...

My point is simply that there is no reason we cannot beat them this year with a likely much improved offense. None.

teegre
06-28-2017, 09:09 PM
We have arguably the best runningback, # 1 receiver and arguably the best receiving corp with Bryant as #2, a top 3 line and arguably a top 3 quarterback.

My point is simply that there is no reason we cannot beat them this year with a likely much improved offense. None.

Wrong. If the Steelers had scored 37 in the AFCCG, they still would have lost, because they didn't play man coverage.

But... 37 is more points than 36. :huh:

Nope.

BostonBlackie
06-28-2017, 11:48 PM
If the Patriots and Steelers play for the AFC Championship, and I hope they do, and I hope everybody is healthy, both defenses better be on their game.

NFL's top 10 offenses in 2017: Pats, Steelers look scary

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000807725/article/nfls-top-10-offenses-in-2017-pats-steelers-look-scary

Craic
06-29-2017, 12:08 AM
I think it's time to go back and look at a few stats, and then put them in context.

Last year, the Steelers were 13th best against the rush (total rushing yards allowed), but tied for 18th in yards per rush allowed (although, 1/10 of a point from sixteenth). So, rush only, they were an average defense last year. Against the pass, they were 16th in total yards allowed and 15th in yards per pass allowed. Although not too good against the rush for TDs, they were tenth best in least TDs through the air and tied for 9th in total sacks and 10th in total points allowed. Interestingly, they were tied with the Patriots* in INTs at 15th place, and one INT away for 12th place. Their also tied for ninth for fumble recoveries and seventh for forced fumbles. Another stat that excited me was 92 passes (ninth place) defended against.

What does that all mean? It means that last year, our defense was average with the ability to rise up and make some plays. Now, we should remember, this was with three rookies, two of whom were DBs, and one of whom played injured. It was also with our veteran DL player injured. This year, those three rookies come in with a season under their belts, and there is a good chance that two of the three other Rookie defenders coming in this year will make a difference as well. With that all said, I can see the argument for this defense becoming dominant, fast.

Now - What About the Pats*

Screw 'em.

Why do I say that? The problem last year was not a coaching staff that did not know how to call a defense. The problem, as it turns out, was a nightmare defensive match-up where we simply did not have the bodies to play man-coverage. I can't even blame the coaching staff for that. They drafted a guy to play the slot and keep up in man coverage, but Golson got injured two years in a row. That's not the coaches fault. No, the more I look at this defense, the more excited I get. My two worries are the run defense with Timmons gone and a rookie LB that got stymied against good technique in college (but looks to have been putting a lot of effort into getting better).

Steeldude
06-29-2017, 05:03 AM
Seeing is believing. Until I actually see a change I predict they will be the same this season. I am really hoping they can add consistent pressure(pass rush) this year. Last year was horrible in terms of consistent pressure. Dupree really needs to have a break out year.

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 06:13 AM

Only 3 teams in nfl history have won the super bowl by scoring more than 500 points in a season(1998 Broncos,1999 Rams and 2009 Saints)

I do not care how our offense is great, we need our defense to be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong. If the Steelers had scored 37 in the AFCCG, they still would have lost, because they didn't play man coverage.

Nope.

If the steelers would have scored 37 points against the pats, both teams would probably have had more drives in this game, so more drive, more chance to score points.It would have been a game like in 2013 when the pats scored 55 points

I do not consider our game in 2013 worse than the one in the AFC title game in defense since the pats would not have scored 55 points in this game if they would have only 8 drives.

teegre
06-29-2017, 08:03 AM
If the steelers would have scored 37 points against the pats, both teams would probably have had more drives in this game.

Ugh... no. Several of the Steelers' drives ended with them settling for a FG or turning the ball over on downs. TDs instead of FGs (or instead of zero points) doesn't change the time of possession/give the Taperiots more drives/opportunities... :huh: but, it would indeed have given the Steelers more points.

Mojouw
06-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Dupree needs to become a Demarcus Ware, Vonn Miller, James Harrison in his prime, level pass rusher. Without that, the defense will stagnate. There are many other exciting players on the defense who will likely take steps forward this season, but without a devastating edge rusher, none of the rest of it works.

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Ugh... no. Several of the Steelers' drives ended with them settling for a FG or turning the ball over on downs. TDs instead of FGs (or instead of zero points) doesn't change the time of possession/give the Taperiots more drives/opportunities... :huh: but, it would indeed have given the Steelers more points.

The pats had only 8 drives in this game.This is very few.

I never said that our offense was good in this game, but our defense was worse than the stats say.

I mean, the pats had 33 points after 3 quarters and they stopped scoring points because the game was over.

In the game in 2013, the pats had 27 points after 3 quarter and they continued to score points in the 4th quarter since the game was close after 3 quarter.

The context is very important.

teegre
06-29-2017, 10:02 AM
The pats had only 8 drives in this game.This is very few.

I never said that our offense was good in this game, but our defense was worse than the stats say.

I mean, the pats had 33 points after 3 quarters and they stopped scoring points because the game was over.

In the game in 2013, the pats had 27 points after 3 quarter and they continued to score points in the 4th quarter since the game was close after 3 quarter.

The context is very important.

Cobi Hamilton catching a TD changes nothing else in that game... except it adds 7 points for the Steelers. Same goes for Coates on the opening drive. And, Hamilton a second time. That's 21 points (that isn't affected by anything else in the game).

You really think that the Taperiots took their foot off of the gas? Really??? I've seen them score a TD with 12 seconds left and up by 28. It is not Belichick's way. When asked about it, Belichick has averred that if the opposition wants his team to not score as much... the opposition should play defense.

Proof of this:
As you stated, the Taperiots scored on 7/8 of their drives with the only drive that they didn't score on being the second drive of the game. In other words, they did not let up (as you indicate).

But... I know, I know... after 40+ threads on the same topic, I know: if the Steelers had simply played man coverage, Hamilton & Coates would have scored those three touchdowns. :rolleyes:

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Cobi Hamilton catching a TD changes nothing else in that game... except it adds 7 points for the Steelers. Same goes for Coates on the opening drive. And, Hamilton a second time. That's 21 points (that isn't affected by anything else in the game).

You really think that the Taperiots took their foot off of the gas? Really??? I've seen them score a TD with 12 seconds left and up by 28. It is not Belichick's way. When asked about it, Belichick has averred that if the opposition wants his team to not score as much... the opposition should play defense.

Proof of this:
As you stated, the Taperiots scored on 7/8 of their drives with the only drive that they didn't score on being the second drive of the game. In other words, they did not let up (as you indicate).

But... I know, I know... after 40+ threads on the same topic, I know: if the Steelers had simply played man coverage, Hamilton & Coates would have scored those three touchdowns. :rolleyes:

It was in 2007 that the patriots loved to run the score.They have not done that in recent years, especially against us.

In week 1 in 2015, the pats would have scored 38-42 points against us if they wanted to, but they did nothing in their last two drive since the game was safe at that time after scoring 4 easy TDs in their first 6 drives.

In the AFC title game, the pats had only 2 drives in the fourth quarter, one of its drives ended with a FG, the other was their victory formation.

tube517
06-29-2017, 11:05 AM
There is no "new" Steel Curtain. There was only one "Steel Curtain"

Blitzburgh was the nickname in the 90s.

They need a new nickname.

steelreserve
06-29-2017, 12:12 PM
No.

The pats only had 8 drives in the AFC title game and they scored 36 points !!!!

Nope.

Gotta go with the still-would've-lost on this one.

When you are allowing almost five points PER POSSESSION, the only way to win is to score a touchdown every time, and we were not/are not likely to do that.

Let's talk about time of possession and why it's bullshit. By definition, both teams are guaranteed the same number of possessions. Unless there's an onside kick or some random luck with timing at the end of a half, the math is very straightforward: You score more than the other team PER DRIVE, you win; if not, you lose. Time of possession is usually a good indicator of which way the game is going - but it's a symptom, not a strategy. It means you're stringing together successful drives and not allowing the opponent to do the same - in other words, you're playing better defense than them also. It does not mean "both offenses are scoring uncontested, but we had the ball more, so we win, 180-120."

Maybe there's a little auxiliary benefit to having better time of possession, like the opposing defense gets worn down or the opposing offense gets demoralized. But again, those are side effects of you ALREADY controlling the game, they're not a strategy to take control of the game in the first place.

Really, you are not going to beat New England by scoring a lot while also letting them score a lot. How many times has that ever happened - like 3 games ever out of 200+? Playing well on offense is a prerequisite, that's all. The teams that succeed also come out on defense and punch Brady in the dick, or whatever his equivalent of that is. If you're giving up 5 points per possession, you've basically got no chance to win at all. Our defense needs to be better than it was.

st33lersguy
06-29-2017, 12:38 PM
No offense is going to score 37 points against the Pats defense in the postseason, especially in Foxboro, and you can't give up 36 points against anyone and expect to win

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Gotta go with the still-would've-lost on this one.

When you are allowing almost five points PER POSSESSION, the only way to win is to score a touchdown every time, and we were not/are not likely to do that.

Let's talk about time of possession and why it's bullshit. By definition, both teams are guaranteed the same number of possessions. Unless there's an onside kick or some random luck with timing at the end of a half, the math is very straightforward: You score more than the other team PER DRIVE, you win; if not, you lose. Time of possession is usually a good indicator of which way the game is going - but it's a symptom, not a strategy. It means you're stringing together successful drives and not allowing the opponent to do the same - in other words, you're playing better defense than them also. It does not mean "both offenses are scoring uncontested, but we had the ball more, so we win, 180-120."

Maybe there's a little auxiliary benefit to having better time of possession, like the opposing defense gets worn down or the opposing offense gets demoralized. But again, those are side effects of you ALREADY controlling the game, they're not a strategy to take control of the game in the first place.

Really, you are not going to beat New England by scoring a lot while also letting them score a lot. How many times has that ever happened - like 3 games ever out of 200+? Playing well on offense is a prerequisite, that's all. The teams that succeed also come out on defense and punch Brady in the dick, or whatever his equivalent of that is. If you're giving up 5 points per possession, you've basically got no chance to win at all. Our defense needs to be better than it was.

great post!

- - - Updated - - -

No offense is going to score 37 points against the Pats defense in the postseason, especially in Foxboro, and you can't give up 36 points against anyone and expect to win

especially in only 8 drives.

teegre
06-29-2017, 02:58 PM
It was in 2007 that the patriots loved to run the score.They have not done that in recent years, especially against us.

In week 1 in 2015, the pats would have scored 38-42 points against us if they wanted to, but they did nothing in their last two drive since the game was safe at that time after scoring 4 easy TDs in their first 6 drives.

In the AFC title game, the pats had only 2 drives in the fourth quarter, one of its drives ended with a FG, the other was their victory formation.

If the Taperiots can score any number of points that they want, at any time that they want, why did they punt on the second possession of the game??? :huh: The game was hardly out of reach at the time. And, the Taperiots did not suddenly become altruistic and only score 36 (instead of 55); they scored 36 because that is what they scored.

Going back to to my point of contention, GBMelBlount stated that if the Steelers had put up 40, the Steelers could have won. (I agree 100%.) You aver that the Taperiots would simply have scored 41 (or 55), because somehow Brady & Belichick are able score any amount they choose. No, no, no.

The truth is: the Taperiots scored & earned all 36 points that they got. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, I will say this: that final drive (victory formation) would have been different... and very interesting: Steelers up by 4, Brady needs a TD.

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 03:04 PM
If the Taperiots can score any number of points that they want, at any time that they want, why did they punt on the second possession of the game??? :huh: The game was hardly out of reach at the time. And, the Taperiots did not suddenly become altruistic and only score 36 (instead of 55); they scored 36 because that is what they scored.

Going back to to my point of contention, GBMelBlount stated that if the Steelers had put up 40, the Steelers could have won. (I agree 100%.) You aver that the Taperiots would simply have scored 41 (or 55), because somehow Brady & Belichick are able score any amount they choose. No, no, no.

The truth is: the Taperiots scored & earned all 36 points that they got. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, I will say this: that final drive (victory formation) would have been different... and very interesting: Steelers up by 4, Brady needs a TD.

It's very rare you win in the NFL, when your defense gives almost 5 points per drive !!!!..I don't think it's hard to understand.The best offense in 2016 (Falcons) had 3 points per drive....The pats had 4.5 points per drive against us!

If the pats and the steelers would have had 12 drives, as this is often the case in the NFL, the pats would have had 54 points.

This is my point.

teegre
06-29-2017, 03:20 PM
It's very rare you win in the NFL, when your defense gives almost 5 points per drive !!!!..I don't think it's hard to understand.The best offense in 2016 (Falcons) had 3 points per drive....The pats had 4.5 points per drive against us!

If the pats and the steelers would have had 12 drives, as this is often the case in the NFL, the pats would have had 54 points.

This is my point.

But, again, GBMelBlount's point was "if the Steelers had scored 40 points" (which would have been 5 points/drive), they could have won.

You keep saying that the Taperiots would have simply scored more points.

I contend that the Steelers scoring more points would have indeed improved their chances vastly of winning.

Everyone can continue ignore the offense's lackluster output and blame that loss solely on "not playing man coverage." But, in reality, 17 points wasn't going to cut it. Yes, the defense sucked, but to continue to say that the offense had zero part in the loss is asinine (and frustrating to read hundreds upon hundreds of times).

teegre
06-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Let me put it this way...

Let's say that the Steelers had played man-coverage, and the defense is lights out... holding the Taperiots to only FGs on all of their scoring drives. That's six scoring drives, plus the punt, and the victory formation... which comes to a total of 18 points.

The Steelers still lose 17-18.

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 04:40 PM
But, again, GBMelBlount's point was "if the Steelers had scored 40 points" (which would have been 5 points/drive), they could have won.

I contend that the Steelers scoring more points would have indeed improved their chances vastly of winning.

Everyone can continue ignore the offense's lackluster output and blame that loss solely on "not playing man coverage." But, in reality, 17 points wasn't going to cut it. Yes, the defense sucked, but to continue to say that the offense had zero part in the loss is asinine (and frustrating to read hundreds upon hundreds of times).

It's not realistic to think that the steelers will score 5 points per drive against a very good defense and a great defensive coach(BB of course) as the Pats have.

It's almost impossible and even if they do that, they are not certain to win if our defense continues to be bad against them.This is the problem.

Mojouw
06-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Time of possession is fairly important.

The Pats comeback win in the SB was in a larger part because the Falcons offense ran like 2 plays in the entire second half. That defense was gassed.

If the Steelers score more in the AFCG, play-calling for the rest of the game changes. A butterfly flaps it's wings in Asia and their is a tornado in Kansas...etc.

Man coverage is not some magic bullet that does or could fix all the flaws in a team.

The AFCG would have still featured:
1. A lack of L. Bell - arguably the most important non Ben Roethlisberger cog in the Steelers offense.
2. No credible pass catching threats aside from AB - a season long problem that was deeply exposed in the playoffs.
3. Not enough competent DB's for any coverage scheme. When you have Golden, Dangerfield, and Gay all in the game and all responsible for someone or a large area of grass -- Brady's gonna find that match-up and beat it like a drum.

polamalubeast
06-29-2017, 05:36 PM
The only thing that is important for the possession time is for not that our defense for 35-40 minutes in a game.

The job of a defense is to give the ball to your offense as quickly as possible by forcing the opponent to make a punt or make a turnovers.

No doubt, our offense has not do a good job against the pats, but this thread is on our defense and our defense needs to be better against great passing offense.

Born2Steel
06-29-2017, 06:06 PM
The only thing that is important for the possession time is for not that our defense for 35-40 minutes in a game.

The job of a defense is to give the ball to your offense as quickly as possible by forcing the opponent to make a punt or make a turnovers.

No doubt, our offense has not do a good job against the pats, but this thread is on our defense and our defense needs to be better against great passing offense.

Right. But the point of the thread is looking ahead at what this defense CAN become. There are no stats to back up the article. It's just a fluff piece for the fans to talk about how good this very young defense has looked, and about possible future greatness. Forget the AFCCG already. Move on. Enjoy what is here and now for a day.

steelreserve
06-29-2017, 06:10 PM
If the Taperiots can score any number of points that they want, at any time that they want, why did they punt on the second possession of the game??? :huh: The game was hardly out of reach at the time.

Didn't we start out playing some man coverage, or at least playing the receivers tighter, and then abandoned it because we thought it wasn't working? Sounds like it was working better than whatever other bullshit we switched to.

I also think that when you have the game well in hand, you tend to score a bit less than you would if you continued to go all-out for points. Not because you're being altruistic or whatnot, but because you play safer, which is a tactically sound decision to tilt the odds further in your favor. (unless taken to extremes, which unfortunately you also see a lot of)

I think the offense would've needed a lot more possessions to score 40 points. Basically, the offense needed to play better and the defense needed to play better. I think that's a lot more realistic path to victory than saying we could beat them with the same defense just by playing better offense. That game really was like ... if we made a game of it, they would've simply scored another touchdown on the next possession, because we couldn't stop shit. But we didn't make a game of it with our offense, so they didn't have to even do anything more than coast.

Time of possession is fairly important.

The Pats comeback win in the SB was in a larger part because the Falcons offense ran like 2 plays in the entire second half. That defense was gassed.

And why did the Falcons' offense hardly run any plays in the second half? Because Tom Brady stopped them, or because the Patriots' defense stopped them?

That's why time of possession is misleading. It's an important indicator, but people think it's all because of your offense and it's not. Getting a three-and-out does just as much if not more to swing that in your favor, and by extension, wear out the opposing defense. Your offense can't stop the other offense from making a long scoring drive. A lopsided time of possession in your favor usually means you're just dominating the game in general.

This is not to disagree with the rest of what you said, by the way. That particular game was going to be very difficult for us to win, for exactly the reasons you pointed out. I think the man-coverage argument is only that by playing the defense we did, we took it from a 10-15% chance of winning to no chance at all.

st33lersguy
06-29-2017, 06:42 PM
I also think that when you have the game well in hand, you tend to score a bit less than you would if you continued to go all-out for points. Not because you're being altruistic or whatnot, but because you play safer, which is a tactically sound decision to tilt the odds further in your favor. (unless taken to extremes, which unfortunately you also see a lot of)

Also you deliberately take as much time as you are allotted off the play clock before running a play to run down more time and it takes you longer to run the same amount of plays. The Failcons for example didn't do either of those things and lost partly because of it

st33lersguy
06-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Gravedigger and Bud both came on strong late in the year, I think if they can improve and make a real impact that will help the defense providing a solid interior and edge pass rusher (or if TJ produces 10+ sacks as a rookie which is less likely). Burns and Davis improving will also help. My main concern is the safety position next to Davis. Mitchell is only adequate against weak pass offenses and doesn't hold up well if at all against better offenses (the ones you tend to see more of in the postseason) and Golden and Dangerfield are just backup calibre.

Born2Steel
06-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Cockrell and Burns were not terrible last season, and both should be improved.
Why wouldn't Dupree be better this season? He played well even after missed time for injury.
Harrison is still a monster.
Shazier and VW aren't going to slow down.
Heyward is back, Hargraves is a year better, and Tuitt has been great so far.
Davis and Mitchell both played well injured. Both should be better when healthy, wouldn't you think.

The depth in the front 7 has improved, and Sutton may be the steal of the draft. I find no downside in this starting lineup.

Ben is back and focused.
Bell, Conner, and Davis is a pretty solid RB corps.
Top 5 Oline. arguably best Steeler Oline ever.
AB, Bryant, Rogers, and JuJu will be nightmares for opposing DCs.
Only let down is our TE group, but Outlaw has played solid, and let's hope Grimble has a breakout season.

Why can this offense NOT put up 30-40 pts per game?

teegre
06-29-2017, 07:32 PM
It's not realistic to think that the steelers will score 5 points per drive against a very good defense and a great defensive coach(BB of course) as the Pats have.

It's almost impossible and even if they do that, they are not certain to win if our defense continues to be bad against them.This is the problem.

Routine... no.
Possible... yes.

Again, the defense was not the ONLY problem in that game. 17 points doesn't beat most teams, let alone the Taperiots.

teegre
06-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Didn't we start out playing some man coverage, or at least playing the receivers tighter, and then abandoned it because we thought it wasn't working? Sounds like it was working better than whatever other bullshit we switched to.

I think the offense would've needed a lot more possessions to score 40 points. Basically, the offense needed to play better and the defense needed to play better. I think that's a lot more realistic path to victory than saying we could beat them with the same defense just by playing better offense. That game really was like ... if we made a game of it, they would've simply scored another touchdown on the next possession, because we couldn't stop shit. But we didn't make a game of it with our offense, so they didn't have to even do anything more than coast.

And why did the Falcons' offense hardly run any plays in the second half? Because Tom Brady stopped them, or because the Patriots' defense stopped them?

That's why time of possession is misleading. It's an important indicator, but people think it's all because of your offense and it's not. Getting a three-and-out does just as much if not more to swing that in your favor, and by extension, wear out the opposing defense. Your offense can't stop the other offense from making a long scoring drive. A lopsided time of possession in your favor usually means you're just dominating the game in general.

This is not to disagree with the rest of what you said, by the way. That particular game was going to be very difficult for us to win, for exactly the reasons you pointed out. I think the man-coverage argument is only that by playing the defense we did, we took it from a 10-15% chance of winning to no chance at all.

PARAGRAPH 1:
Sean Davis got injured. (Technically, he was injured for most of the season, but could no longer play through the pain.) As soon as he went out, on the very next play, Belichick went after Golden... touchdown!!! Then, Mike Mitchell began to overcompensate, and bit hard on a play fake... touchdown!!!

PARAGRAPH 2:
Spot on. This sums up the game perfectly. Post that in every AFCCG thread. Really.

As as far as points go, three dropped touchdowns by Hamilton & Coates, plus a wasted first-&-goal is 25 points (taking us to 42 points). I'm not saying it's actually that "easy", but in a way, it shoulda/coulda been.

PARAGRAPH 3:
The SuperBowl reminds me of the AFCCG: the defense garners all of the blame, when the Falcons offense is just as culpable. Specifically, if the Falcons had converted two more third downs, they win.

Instead of fumbling the ball, if they had run the ball (played safe), they kick a FG.

Instead of trying to go for the kill-shot on 3rd-&-1, if they run the ball, they can take an additional 2 minutes off of the clock.

(Great post, by the way.)

teegre
06-29-2017, 08:19 PM
Gravedigger and Bud both came on strong late in the year, I think if they can improve and make a real impact that will help the defense providing a solid interior and edge pass rusher (or if TJ produces 10+ sacks as a rookie which is less likely). Burns and Davis improving will also help. My main concern is the safety position next to Davis. Mitchell is only adequate against weak pass offenses and doesn't hold up well if at all against better offenses (the ones you tend to see more of in the postseason) and Golden and Dangerfield are just backup calibre.

I don't know how to post pics (fansince76 and tube have both walked me through it, but I'm an idiot).

Anyway, I have a pic of stats showing how Gravedigger was the best** rookie DT from week 12 on.

**(It was from PFF; so take that with a grain of salt.)

st33lersguy
06-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't surprise me, he came on strong last year and I think he can be a real game-wrecker if he is healthy

Mojouw
06-29-2017, 11:36 PM
A bit of a tangent. But for the next 5 years, what other defensive roster do you want? Young, fast, scheme flexible. Only a few other units across the league that ooze this much upside. Admittedly, all unrealized, but still...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pczach
06-30-2017, 12:32 PM
I know they haven't shown it yet, but the defense is loaded with athletic, young, and fast players. If the current defensive draft class turns out to be a good one, this defense could be and maybe should be scary good for a while.

Much of this is dependent on Dupree becoming a consistent playmaker and Watt turning into what we all hope he can be very soon, and the athletes in the secondary that they just drafted. Hitting in both of these areas not only makes them better. It also makes them deeper and able to absorb injuries while still allowing them to play multiple styles and schemes.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 01:47 PM
A bit of a tangent. But for the next 5 years, what other defensive roster do you want? Young, fast, scheme flexible. Only a few other units across the league that ooze this much upside.

And the across the board younger, faster, more athletic, Falcons lost to the Patriots. And the legion of boom lost to the Patriots.

It takes more then talent.

Born2Steel
06-30-2017, 01:56 PM
And the across the board younger, faster, more athletic, Falcons lost to the Patriots. And the legion of boom lost to the Patriots.

Should read ALL the posts first. The Failcons choke has already been discussed. The Rainy City Bitch Pidgeons 'worse play call in SB history' has been picked clean to the bones already. 2 examples of teams shooting themselves in the foot and the Pats capitalizing. All those 2 games come down to. But congrats, really. Now back to the topic.....

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 01:58 PM
Should read ALL the posts first. The Failcons choke has already been discussed. The Rainy City Bitch Pidgeons 'worse play call in SB history' has been picked clean to the bones already. 2 examples of teams shooting themselves in the foot and the Pats capitalizing. All those 2 games come down to. But congrats, really. Now back to the topic.....

It takes a lot more then talent.

Born2Steel
06-30-2017, 02:13 PM

I knew you were still lurking....

From your viewpoint, I'm sure it does take more than talent. You need to film other teams' signals, deflate the footballs a bit, make sure your players take their PEDs regularly, bug your stadium's visitor lockerroom, interfere with comm systems, run plays from illegal formations, use a snowplow to give yourself an unfair advantage, etc...
Even though the tuck rule wasn't one of the Patriot gimmicks, the Pats are still the only team to ever get that call. But that was just more Brady brilliance, I'm sure.

Mojouw
06-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Takes more than talent to do what? I never made any statement aside from I really like the top 13-15 guys on the defensive roster on potential.

But while you're at it, [emoji120] oh wise septuagenarian football sage, please spread your pearls of wisdom before me. I beg of you, enlighten me as to what factors besides talent create winning NFL teams.

White guy scrappiness?
Video based cheating?
Elite QB talent and good coaching?
A bit of luck and good fortune?

I wait with bated breath. Pour a small dram for me from your cup of wisdom.

st33lersguy
06-30-2017, 03:42 PM

Shouldn't you be ballwashing Brady and Bellichick on an online Pats fan echo chamber or were you kicked out of all of them

Craic
06-30-2017, 04:26 PM

So that's why the Pats* rely on faulty communication equipment, deflated balls, cameras, and probably a host of other things in order to win. Right?

ALLD
06-30-2017, 08:09 PM
More like the foil sandwich wrap. A Steel Curtain gets sacks.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Takes more than talent to do what? I never made any statement aside from I really like the top 13-15 guys on the defensive roster on potential.

But while you're at it, [emoji120] oh wise septuagenarian football sage, please spread your pearls of wisdom before me. I beg of you, enlighten me as to what factors besides talent create winning NFL teams.

White guy scrappiness?
Video based cheating?
Elite QB talent and good coaching?
A bit of luck and good fortune?

I wait with bated breath. Pour a small dram for me from your cup of wisdom.

Fans that actually live in the same state the team does.

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn't you be ballwashing Brady and Bellichick on an online Pats fan echo chamber or were you kicked out of all of them

I'll let Rothlisberger ballwash Brady for me, he's so good at it.

- - - Updated - - -

So that's why the Pats* rely on faulty communication equipment, deflated balls, cameras, and probably a host of other things in order to win. Right?

Anymore excuses?

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 09:30 PM
I knew you were still lurking....

From your viewpoint, I'm sure it does take more than talent. You need to film other teams' signals, deflate the footballs a bit, make sure your players take their PEDs regularly, bug your stadium's visitor lockerroom, interfere with comm systems, run plays from illegal formations, use a snowplow to give yourself an unfair advantage, etc...
Even though the tuck rule wasn't one of the Patriot gimmicks, the Pats are still the only team to ever get that call. But that was just more Brady brilliance, I'm sure.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kX_cmX9OjVU/Vjj-ltex7pI/AAAAAAAACyk/Y8eHVk-zTco/s1600/Crybaby.jpg

Mojouw
06-30-2017, 09:31 PM
You're detailed and insightful responses are simply staggering.

You're likely the smartest guy you know. Every night at the bar you're buddies tell you how funny and smart you are. Thst 6th grade education really stands out. So, which one are you; Sully, Murph, or Tommy?

Stay Boston Strong, Masshole.

GBMelBlount
06-30-2017, 09:33 PM

You're likely the smartest guy you know. Every night at the bar you're buddies tell you how funny and smart you are. Thst 6th grade education really stands out. So, which one are you; Sully, Murph, or Tommy?

Sadly, I am getting the feeling we are his best friends.

I would imagine he is getting more attention here than he gets anywhere else in his life...

st33lersguy
06-30-2017, 09:39 PM
And this ladies and gentlemen demonstrates why it is impossible to have a rational discussion with a Cheatriots fan

Mojouw
06-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Sadly, I am getting the feeling we are his best friends.

I would imagine he is getting more attention here than he gets anywhere else in his life...

Between this Boston dude and the man coverage "debate" every thread just gets detailed lately.

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but if you're gonna bother to post something, at least take the time to have point.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 09:40 PM

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/46f0cd2bbacfc144cde5fb43bb1d71204d27b3f3/c=120-0-2004-1413&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Marshfield/2014/08/04/179274051.jpg

polamalubeast
06-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Why BostonBlackie is not banned?

The only thing that he does is to ruin threads!

At least TeeTee and even crash was funny sometimes.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 09:43 PM

I merely said it takes more than talent, than you guys went into meltdown mode.

st33lersguy
06-30-2017, 09:46 PM

At least TeeTee and even crash was funny sometimes.

Agree, Brady fangirl getting banned would be a major addition by subtraction to the board

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 09:48 PM
Agree, Brady fangirl getting banned would be a major addition by subtraction to the board

Dish it out but you can't take it.

Mojouw
06-30-2017, 09:51 PM
I merely said it takes more than talent, than you guys went into meltdown mode.

Right. Which is a meaningless statement without any additional information. But hey, non sequiturs are fun!

Boston is the worst major city in the country and is full of annoying sports fans. Even Philly thinks you all are crazy.

Mojouw
06-30-2017, 09:52 PM
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/46f0cd2bbacfc144cde5fb43bb1d71204d27b3f3/c=120-0-2004-1413&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/Marshfield/2014/08/04/179274051.jpg

Cool. The state bird of Wisconsin.

polamalubeast
06-30-2017, 09:56 PM
Boston fans are often classless.

I mean, no one in Boston had forgiven Bill Burkner for his mistake in 1986 for at least 20 years,despite that he was not the real reason for their lost against the Mets.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Right. Which is a meaningless statement without any additional information. But hey, non sequiturs are fun!

Boston is the worst major city in the country and is full of annoying sports fans. Even Philly thinks you all are crazy.

Well maybe if you actually thought about it, you'd get it. But instead you just post bullsh*t about a city, and a team, you know nothing about.

- - - Updated - - -

See. Nonsense.

polamalubeast
06-30-2017, 10:01 PM
See. Nonsense.

No

It's true that no one in Boston had forgiven Buckner for at least 20 years.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 10:03 PM
No

It's true that no one in Boston had forgiven Buckner for at least 20 years.

19 years.

fansince'76
06-30-2017, 10:04 PM

polamalubeast
06-30-2017, 10:06 PM
19 years.

19 or 20 years, I don't care.

The point is that Boston were classless with Buckner even if he was not the true reason for the defeat against the Mets.

The bullpen and their manager was.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 10:11 PM
"Yankees pitcher CC Sabithia, "Boston is the only place I've ever been called a ******. We expect racism..."

Oh my, a major American city full of working class grandsons, and great grandsons, of immigrants from Ireland, and Italy, etc., and some of them are racist. Gee, what a shock.

- - - Updated - - -

19 or 20 years, I don't care.

The point is that Boston were classless with Buckner even if he was not the true reason for the defeat against the Mets.

The bullpen and their manager was.

We love Buckner.

polamalubeast
06-30-2017, 10:15 PM
We love Buckner.

Regardless of any of the other perceived shortcomings that led to Boston's loss in the 1986 World Series, Buckner's error epitomized the "Curse of the Bambino" in the minds of Red Sox fans, and he soon became the scapegoat for a frustrated fan base.[13] Buckner began receiving death threats and was heckled and booed by some of his own home fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Buckner

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Regardless of any of the other perceived shortcomings that led to Boston's loss in the 1986 World Series, Buckner's error epitomized the "Curse of the Bambino" in the minds of Red Sox fans, and he soon became the scapegoat for a frustrated fan base.[13] Buckner began receiving death threats and was heckled and booed by some of his own home fans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Buckner

All true. We're passionate about the Red Sox.

BostonBlackie
06-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Cool. The state bird of Wisconsin.

BTW, on a personal note. My younger brother died In Wisconsin. I flew back and forth from Boston a couple of times a week while he was dying, for 5 months, to be with him. Further, the best squad leader I had in Vietnam was buried on his fathers farm in Wisconsin. So I feel a strong connection to the state.

pczach
07-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Between this Boston dude and the man coverage "debate" every thread just gets detailed lately.

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but if you're gonna bother to post something, at least take the time to have point.

He's not here to make a point. He's here to be a dick.

We gladly accept and discuss football with any other fans that truly want to do that and don't just look to piss people off.

This douchebag wants to sit back and poke people and tell himself he's the smartest guy on the internet. Just another self described football savant that doesn't seem to realize that he may be talking to people that actually played the game and understand it more than he does.

There's nothing wrong with loving and supporting your team. We all do. I just can't stand fans that feel the need to go to other teams' message boards and be assholes to other fans for no apparent reason....including Steelers fans that do it.

There's just no need for it. It's completely classless and juvenile.

steelreserve
07-01-2017, 08:22 PM

We gladly accept and discuss football with any other fans that truly want to do that and don't just look to piss people off.

This douchebag wants to sit back and poke people and tell himself he's the smartest guy on the internet. Just another self described football savant that doesn't seem to realize that he may be talking to people that actually played the game and understand it more than he does.

There's nothing wrong with loving and supporting your team. We all do. I just can't stand fans that feel the need to go to other teams' message boards and be assholes to other fans for no apparent reason....including Steelers fans that do it.

See, even this is feeding the troll. You call him an asshole, he gets off on it because he got a reaction from you. Don't engage him. Just. Don't. Do. It.

teegre
07-01-2017, 08:31 PM
A bit of a tangent. But for the next 5 years, what other defensive roster do you want? Young, fast, scheme flexible. Only a few other units across the league that ooze this much upside. Admittedly, all unrealized, but still...

You know whose defensive roster I really like: the Browns.

I bet if one were to look at their statistics by quarter, they're as good as anyone in the first quarter... but, because they have no offense, I bet they give up a lot of points (get tired) in the fourth quarter.

Mojouw
07-01-2017, 10:12 PM
You know whose defensive roster I really like: the Browns.

I bet if one were to look at their statistics by quarter, they're as good as anyone in the first quarter... but, because they have no offense, I bet they give up a lot of points (get tired) in the fourth quarter.

I agree. The Browns are average QB play away from competent. That'll be weird.

BostonBlackie
07-01-2017, 10:14 PM

Again, all I said was it takes more then talent. Totally innocent, but accurate statement. If it had been taken that way none of this would have happened. Geesus key'rist, you people need to relax.

Every Steeler team, every year, is a different team. Just like every other team in the NFL. You can have some cornerstone players, but that doesn't guarantee they will jell with the new players, their contracts, a new coach, a change in the system, aging, the loss of a player, injuries, so on and so forth. Talented players are great, but a type of player is better.

st33lersguy
07-01-2017, 10:21 PM

Also if they stick to a head coach instead of change coaches every 1-2 years

Craic
07-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Also if they stick to a head coach instead of change coaches every 1-2 years

This.

In the AFCN, three teams stick with a coach. All three teams have made the playoffs numerous times, and two of those three have actually won a playoff game.

teegre
07-02-2017, 09:55 AM

Whew!!! Thank goodness they've got Kizer. :lol:

Really though, I hope that he plays just well enough so that the Browns do NOT draft Darnold or Rosen.

Mojouw
07-02-2017, 12:02 PM
Whew!!! Thank goodness they've got Kizer. :lol:

Really though, I hope that he plays just well enough so that the Browns do NOT draft Darnold or Rosen.

Yeah. I hope he turns into a version of Tannehill. Just good enough to get multiple coaches fired!

Mojouw
07-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Again, all I said was it takes more then talent. Talented players are great, but a type of player is better.

Okay, on a purely football note -- that bolded and italicized bit is really really far in the tank for the "Patriots Way" or whatever the New England sports talking heads have branded it.

Having a system and a game-plan is great. Finding players that fit that system is also an excellent idea. Better yet, figure out a system that gets value out of players that other teams are not valuing!

All of that is good and pretty universally attempted across the NFL and even the NCAA. But there is NO TEAM EVER THAT CONSISTENTLY LEFT TALENT ON THE TABLE FOR "SYSTEM" GUYS.

Even your beloved Patriots loaded up on "Talent" this off-season. If it was all about system/types of players they wouldn't have signed the big name FA CB -- they would have just drafted another "who?" name in the 5th round and plugged him into their "Patriot Way" Machine.

BostonBlackie
07-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Okay, on a purely football note -- that bolded and italicized bit is really really far in the tank for the "Patriots Way" or whatever the New England sports talking heads have branded it.

Having a system and a game-plan is great. Finding players that fit that system is also an excellent idea. Better yet, figure out a system that gets value out of players that other teams are not valuing!

All of that is good and pretty universally attempted across the NFL and even the NCAA. But there is NO TEAM EVER THAT CONSISTENTLY LEFT TALENT ON THE TABLE FOR "SYSTEM" GUYS.

Even your beloved Patriots loaded up on "Talent" this off-season. If it was all about system/types of players they wouldn't have signed the big name FA CB -- they would have just drafted another "who?" name in the 5th round and plugged him into their "Patriot Way" Machine.

Ok, you pick the thoroughbred, with the big contract, and the $250,000 car in the parking lot, and we'll take Edelman, and Hogan, for 1/2 the cost, with pickup trucks in the parking lot. Those "system" players as you call them are system players because they buy into the system. They're malleable. That is their type.

"NO TEAM EVER THAT CONSISTENTLY LEFT TALENT ON THE TABLE FOR "SYSTEM" GUYS."

The Patriots do that all the time every time they trade away a high draft pick, or trade down, or let a talented player go. All of which they do all the time.

These big time "talented" players come and go all the time, and 99% don't do shit except draw a check, put some asses in the seats, and make it look like the teams owner is trying to win. Big deal.

Mojouw
07-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Ok, you pick the thoroughbred, with the big contract, and the $250,000 car in the parking lot, and we'll take Edelman, and Hogan, for 1/3 the cost, with pickup trucks in the parking lot. Those "system" players as you call them are system players because they buy into the system. They're malleable. That is their type.

"NO TEAM EVER THAT CONSISTENTLY LEFT TALENT ON THE TABLE FOR "SYSTEM" GUYS."

The Patriots do that all the time every time they trade away a high draft pick, or trade down, or let a talented player go. All of which they do all the time.

These big time "talented" players come and go all the time, and 99% don't do shit except draw a check, and put some asses in the seats. Big deal.

And there is the reply I was fishing for. A hint of racism. A pinch of Patriot fan-boy. And a whole ton of "not the actual truth".

Prominent Patriot FA signings during the recent "system" focused run:
Randy Moss (This dude doesn't even know the meaning of the world malleable.)
Corey Dillon
Revis (the ultimate mercenary DB)
Rodney Harrison
Adalius Thomas (that guy was not humble and system oriented)
Brandon Cooks (If they are so satisfied with Edelman and Hogan why did they go out and get this young, talented, and soon to be expensive as hell deep threat WR? Maybe he has a sweet pick-up!)
Stephon Gilmore (most expensive and TALENTED free agent DB on the market)

Most often, that draft pick trading results in an extremely low 1st round pick being turned into a middle round 1st round pick the following year and a second round pick in the current draft. That's just smart -- not attempting to pass on talented players. In fact, many of the most recent key cogs in the Pats defense (Hightower, Collins, Jones) were all drafted with one of those "high" talented focused draft picks the Pats don't need. But, hey let's not let facts get in the way of really good fantasy.

And yes, I am aware that those guys were all moved off the roster at the end of their cheap-o rookie deals. Doesn't change the fact that they were all drafted high, used their talent to make a major positive impact on the team, etc.

Looking at this list - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm
And this list - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

The Steelers have far more low round (5-7) guys playing for them or still in the NFL then the Pats do. The Steelers also feature far more UDFA's in prominent roles.

So, please, tell me more about your totally made-up and mythologized "Patriot System". I can't wait to hear more about pick-up trucks and hard working gym rat (white) players.

Even when you try to make a point, you don't have anything worthwhile to say. You don't know shit about the NFL and you actually know very little about your own team. Let me guess, your opinion totally aligns with either the Sports Hub or WEEI - maybe even both.

One final note, tell me again how the Pats 16 year run has been fueled by a "system" when you have the GOAT under center?

BostonBlackie
07-02-2017, 03:04 PM
And there is the reply I was fishing for. A hint of racism. A pinch of Patriot fan-boy. And a whole ton of "not the actual truth".

Prominent Patriot FA signings during the recent "system" focused run:
Randy Moss (This dude doesn't even know the meaning of the world malleable.)
Corey Dillon
Revis (the ultimate mercenary DB)
Rodney Harrison
Adalius Thomas (that guy was not humble and system oriented)
Brandon Cooks (If they are so satisfied with Edelman and Hogan why did they go out and get this young, talented, and soon to be expensive as hell deep threat WR? Maybe he has a sweet pick-up!)
Stephon Gilmore (most expensive and TALENTED free agent DB on the market)

Most often, that draft pick trading results in an extremely low 1st round pick being turned into a middle round 1st round pick the following year and a second round pick in the current draft. That's just smart -- not attempting to pass on talented players. In fact, many of the most recent key cogs in the Pats defense (Hightower, Collins, Jones) were all drafted with one of those "high" talented focused draft picks the Pats don't need. But, hey let's not let facts get in the way of really good fantasy.

And yes, I am aware that those guys were all moved off the roster at the end of their cheap-o rookie deals. Doesn't change the fact that they were all drafted high, used their talent to make a major positive impact on the team, etc.

Looking at this list - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/draft.htm
And this list - http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/draft.htm

The Steelers have far more low round (5-7) guys playing for them or still in the NFL then the Pats do. The Steelers also feature far more UDFA's in prominent roles.

So, please, tell me more about your totally made-up and mythologized "Patriot System". I can't wait to hear more about pick-up trucks and hard working gym rat (white) players.

Even when you try to make a point, you don't have anything worthwhile to say. You don't know shit about the NFL and you actually know very little about your own team. Let me guess, your opinion totally aligns with either the Sports Hub or WEEI - maybe even both.

One final note, tell me again how the Pats 16 year run has been fueled by a "system" when you have the GOAT under center?

>>A hint of racism<< >>I can't wait to hear more about pick-up trucks and hard working gym rat (white) players.<<

Talk to yourself.

fansince'76
07-02-2017, 05:47 PM
:pop2:

Born2Steel
07-02-2017, 05:54 PM
I'm only getting half the debate because BostonBlackie and his pencil thin milk mustache are on my ignore list.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-02-2017, 08:20 PM
I have no issues with Pat fans that want to hang out on Steelers forums in the off season That said start mentioning the Giants and they will flee like cockroaches when the lights turn on.

BostonBlackie
07-02-2017, 08:33 PM
I have no issues with Pat fans that want to hang out on Steelers forums in the off season That said start mentioning the Giants and they will flee like cockroaches when the lights turn on.

Here in Boston we hold the Giants, and Tom Coughlin, in high regard.

https://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/tyreecatch08pf-1.jpg

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
07-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Here in Boston we hold the Giants, and Tom Coughlin, in high regard.

https://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/tyreecatch08pf-1.jpg You should and you guys are Tom and Eli's bitches. I'm cool with ya and I actually meant Tom back in 2,000 when he was still coaching the Jags at Jacksonville.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm out of here and have a great night and Happy 4th Boston! Peace!

polamalubeast
07-07-2017, 03:45 PM
They just need to be better against great passing offense and this defense will be very good.

Mojouw
07-07-2017, 04:26 PM
They just need to be better against great passing offense and this defense will be very good.

Bud Dupree had a ton to do with that final row. And, yes, I also realize that moved Jones to the bench full-time. But it also moved all other pass rush options not named "Harrison" to the bench as well.

Harrison, Dupree, Watt, and ??? -- that could put up some nice sack #'s.

BostonBlackie
07-07-2017, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XueXrg6Yj1o&amp;feature=youtu.be

teegre
07-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Bud Dupree had a ton to do with that final row. And, yes, I also realize that moved Jones to the bench full-time. But it also moved all other pass rush options not named "Harrison" to the bench as well.

Yep.

Using my sliderule and the Deacon Jones algorithm, it was 37% Harrison taking all the snaps from Jones and 63% due to Dupree returning to the lineup.

polamalubeast
07-07-2017, 07:37 PM
But without taking anything away to the Steelers, the best offense against which the Steelers have played in the last 7 games were probably the Ravens who fired their OC during the season!

fansince'76
07-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Yep.

Using my sliderule and the Deacon Jones algorithm, it was 37% Harrison taking all the snaps from Jones and 63% due to Dupree returning to the lineup.

"That boy'd have to use a slide rule to find me in here."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKx7v-uHDRQ

:chuckle:

Born2Steel
08-21-2017, 06:31 PM
Should we see a lot of defense with Heyward, Tuitt, Alualu, and Hargrave on the field at the same time? Walton and Maxey (6)

Personnel changes at LB 2/3/4 depending on field position, game situations, and conditions. (9)

DBs Burns, Cockrell, Sutton, Gay, Sensabaugh, Davis, Mitchell, Golden, Dangerfield, and Hilton fill out the rest. (10)

I just feel that our best defensive players are on the defensive line right now. Add in a healthy Shazier, Dupree, Harrison, and Watt, then our secondary only has to play not to give up the big play. A better pass rush also equates to more turnovers.

polamalubeast
08-21-2017, 06:42 PM
I can live if our defense gives some big play and if it means that the opposing QB has a much lower completion% and that the opposing offense has more than 3 and out.More 3 and out means that our offense is more often on the field

When the opponent just makes dink and dunk with a quick passing game and the defense are on the field for at least 5 minutes per drive as in the game against the eagles last year I have the taste to throw the TV out the window.

polamalubeast
08-31-2017, 09:46 AM

On paper, this defense now has very little weakness, now it's time to take the next step and be competitive against every offense including GB and NE.