PDA

View Full Version : So, why did YOU become a Steelers fan?

Born2Steel
06-26-2017, 11:37 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000817053/article/why-you-should-root-for-the-pittsburgh-steelers

Just a really fun read.

hawaiiansteeler
06-26-2017, 02:34 PM
because of their cheerleaders :cheer2:

http://www.brooklineconnection.com/history/Facts/images/Steelerettes/Steelerettes2.JPG

steelerdude15
06-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Born into it.

hawaiiansteeler
06-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Born into it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/99/f3/7699f34a0c4c55822c9ff7c2542ae1da.jpg

86WARD
06-26-2017, 03:30 PM
When I was very young, I would go to my friends house and they were from Pittsburgh and it was a big to do on Sundays so I took to it and my Dad is a Cowboys fan so it was fun to route against him. No one in my immediate family was an Eagles fan so it worked out well.

We also had a pretty nice TV antenna on our roof and was able to rotate it to pick up the NBC channel in Lancaster which televised all Steelers games so that was nice.

teegre
06-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Born into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIcKB_ZfGqQ&app=desktop

Hawkman
06-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Dad was born and raised in Wash Pa. It was genetic.

BurghBoy412
06-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Born and raised in the 412.

Shoes
06-26-2017, 09:43 PM
Home grown, although most of my friends back in 60's were fans of other teams.

DesertSteel
06-26-2017, 10:33 PM
I was born that way. Not because my dad was one. In the 2nd grade when everyone was choosing teams, my friends picked the Bengals and the Browns and I picked the Steelers. That was 1973.

salamander
06-26-2017, 10:41 PM
I was in 6th grade and knew nothing about football. Most of my friends were fans of various NFL teams and I wanted to fit in. Despite the majority of my family being Eagles fans, I chose the Steelers because...no lie...I liked their colors. Now I'm a die hard Pittsburgh sports fan in general.

Craic
06-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Dad was a Redskins fan. First football memory I have with him is rooting against Dallas and, therefore, for Pittsburgh in SB X. The same happened again in SB XIII. My father died three months later. Since we only got national broadcast games back then, the only games I really remember watching with him were Steelers games.

I've been a fan ever since.

pczach
06-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Because 47 years ago I was looking for any team that could overtake the juggernaut that was the New England Patriots.....You know.....the greatest team of the last 50 years................:rofl2:

RunNGun
06-27-2017, 12:30 AM
My dad was born in Pittsburgh then moved to Iowa. I was born into it as well. Wouldn't have it any other way.

43Hitman
06-27-2017, 03:35 AM
I'm from Iowa, was born into being a Hawkeye fan. I naturally choose the Steelers as my pro team because they had the same colors as my Hawks. It was 1984 when I chose them.

Drazo85
06-27-2017, 04:41 AM
Big Ben, defense, Bus, no particular order! Jumped on bandwagon and stayed.

Steeldude
06-27-2017, 07:35 AM
Watching Lambert around 1976. It's also when I noticed football.

I would play football in the house by making footballs out of any items/toys I could find. My most fond memory was playing football against my older brother in the living room. I needed a half a yard for a TD. I jumped over him and then he pushed me through the sliding glass door while I was airborn.

Remember this game? The Steelers vs anyone. I would play seasons on this game

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BH9RG9A4L._SY300_.jpg

tube517
06-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Watching Lambert around 1976. It's also when I noticed football.

I would play football in the house by making footballs out of any items/toys I could find. My most fond memory was playing football against my older brother in the living room. I needed a half a yard for a TD. I jumped over him and then he pushed me through the sliding glass door while I was airborn.

Remember this game? The Steelers vs anyone. I would play seasons on this game

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51BH9RG9A4L._SY300_.jpg

I used to have sore thumbs/cramps on that game. On our street only one or two guys had them so we all had to take turns lol.

It was either the Steelers or Cowboys growing up. I was 6 when I saw Super Bowl IX on our black and white TV. Saw Franco run all over the place and I would buy books at our book fairs or check out books at the library at school about the Steelers. That was my "internet" back in the day lol.

Count Steeler
06-27-2017, 10:34 AM
My aunt and her 9 children settled in Pittsburgh, so I visited the 'burgh a few times in my life. It was natural to hook up to the Steelers and the Pirates. Penquins not so much because we had the mighty Maple Laughs. Penquins were my second. When the Jays came along it was natural to go Jays in AL and Pirates in NL.

However, when the Buffalo/Toronto Bills had a trial run, there was no chance that I would back away from the Steelers. The Steelers are not only my favorite football team, they are my favorite team. Period. Thanks to Mean Joe and Jack Lambert. Rooney reminded me of my dad and Noll was, well Noll. I will always and forever be a Steelers fan. Even when Goodell gets them to wear flags.

Born2Steel
06-27-2017, 11:46 AM
My first football "HERO" was OJ Simpson. But I was in Saints country, which was like not even having a team. The teams everybody liked then were the Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders, or Dolphins. Luckily I became a fan of the Steelers before the end of the 70s and before the Dolphins drafted Marino. I'm what is referred to as a 'mutt fan'. Before I became a die-hard Steeler, I dated a lot of other teams.

Mojouw
06-27-2017, 11:53 AM
First started watching football with my dad in the '80's. He was a transplant to the mid Atlantic from western PA. I remember rigging up aluminum foil extensions on a black and white portable TV with a small 4 inch square screen to pull in the closest PA station that would broadcast Steelers games. Even on that size of a screen Mark Malone was disappointing!

Long story short, another in a long line of Steelers fans that are outside PA due to generations of relocation.

RunNGun
06-27-2017, 07:01 PM
I'm from Iowa, was born into being a Hawkeye fan. I naturally choose the Steelers as my pro team because they had the same colors as my Hawks. It was 1984 when I chose them.

Where ya from in Iowa?

43Hitman
06-28-2017, 02:47 AM
Where ya from in Iowa?Cedar Rapids/ Marion

Buckinnuts
06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
remembermy pap watching or listening on the tv or radio..somewhere around 1967..i think i was 6...started on the pens then and pirates too

Texasteel
07-02-2017, 02:27 PM
Was over seas for 3 years with little to no coverage of the NFL. When I got home in 1973 I didn't know anything about any of the teams, so decided to pick a new one to follow. I've always loved the defense and a young, kick ass, take names sometime next week, team caught my eye. To make things even better, my whole family were Minn. fans.

ALLD
07-02-2017, 06:28 PM
We were from Pittsburgh, but moved to Miami in 1971. My mom got me a Dolphins rain poncho and made me wear it. I even met some of the players from the 1972 & 1973 Dolphin teams although we had deep ties to Pittsburgh. Looking back they were great, but I was always a Steelers fan and my mom, I don't know.

smokin3000gt
07-02-2017, 08:24 PM
My dad was born and raised in PA, always a Steeler fan. As long as I can remember we'd watch the games together on Sunday, now we still do except I've got a mini me that joins us (2.5yro). Anytime he sees the steeler logo he says ''Steelers football!! touchdown!!!"

Edman
07-03-2017, 04:49 PM
Its in the blood.

Born and raised in Pittsburgh.

vasteeler
07-03-2017, 05:45 PM
My fathers side of the family is from cleveland. I hate my fathers side of the family. Me being a Steelers fan really pisses them off. I used to love going to Cleveland for family reunions decked out in as much Steeler gear as I could.

Hindes204
07-04-2017, 07:46 PM
I was born and raised 10 minutes from Three Rivers Stadium. I really had no choice

Mojouw
07-04-2017, 09:48 PM
My family has always laughed at the TV announcers who say Steelers fans travel well. We've always thought it was expat Yinzers who moved for economics and kept their team.

Seems like some on this board are in that boat.

I'm a Bucs and Steelers fan as well as a chipped ham eater due to folks leaving the Western PA valleys but never forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
07-04-2017, 09:52 PM

Dwinsgames
07-05-2017, 06:10 PM
grew up in the 60s-70s in the 412 , that has since changed to the 724 ( in my area ) even though I am in the same small town of 500 people 40 mins from the Stadium via 376 or 79/279 or a little longer rt 19 or 51 or hell even 8-22 for that matter

SteelMember
07-12-2017, 12:59 PM
It's stamped on my birth certificate from Allegheny General Hospital. :wink02:

Iron Steeler
07-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Im From Jersey.

My parents got divorced when I was 6. Dad was a Jets fan mom was a giants fan. I chose my own team and it was Steelers(since I didn't want to chose family team because i felt like I was favoring a family) I was fascinated by Jerome Bettis.

I am 30 younger then most here. sorry not a native thorough bred like most of you here.

43Hitman
07-13-2017, 02:54 PM
Im From Jersey.

My parents got divorced when I was 6. Dad was a Jets fan mom was a giants fan. I chose my own team and it was Steelers(since I didn't want to chose family team because i felt like I was favoring a family) I was fascinated by Jerome Bettis.

I am 30 younger then most here. sorry not a native thorough bred like most of you here.No need for us to apologize because we aren't from the 'Burgh, all that matters is that we're true fans of the team we love. It doesn't matter if they go 20-0 or 0-16, I'm gonna be rooting for them.

SCSTILLER
07-13-2017, 03:57 PM
My family has always laughed at the TV announcers who say Steelers fans travel well. We've always thought it was expat Yinzers who moved for economics and kept their team.

Seems like some on this board are in that boat.

I'm a Bucs and Steelers fan as well as a chipped ham eater due to folks leaving the Western PA valleys but never forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always laugh also when I hear the announcers say Steelers fans travel well...Steelers fans are already there. I was born and raised in Beaver County and my Grandparents had season tix since the late '70s, now my Uncle has them. I have relocated to Charleston, SC but still a die hard.

Speaking of the travel well part, has anyone read this:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/steelers-fans-story/f7n1o5qbkt8h1j1yb1kqv30d9

Texasteel
07-14-2017, 07:25 AM
No need for us to apologize because we aren't from the 'Burgh, all that matters is that we're true fans of the team we love. It doesn't matter if they go 20-0 or 0-16, I'm gonna be rooting for them.

I've live in a couple different places, including Dallas for 30 years. Can't prove it, but I have an idea that there are more Steelers fans that are not from Pittsburgh than there are that live there.

tube517
07-14-2017, 09:21 AM
I live in a military town/ region so we have quite a few (active duty and retired) from Pittsburgh and surrounding areas.

I keep getting asked if I am from there because every Steeler fan I meet, is from there lol.

Our local CBS affiliate news anchor is a die hard fan and she always gets an interview from the hometown cool shades coach. Also, we seem to get most Steeler games (that are not national), which is strange because we're supposed to be slated for Ratbirds games for CBS. Any time a Steeler game is not shown, their phones ring off the hook and the emails flood them. :chuckle:

We even have a Pittsburgh themed food truck in our area with the Primanti Bros sandwich, Pittsburgh Salad, Pierogies, etc.

Iron Steeler
07-19-2017, 09:59 AM
No need for us to apologize because we aren't from the 'Burgh, all that matters is that we're true fans of the team we love. It doesn't matter if they go 20-0 or 0-16, I'm gonna be rooting for them.

Same ... Can't wait for the season !

Nadroj 20
07-23-2017, 06:22 PM
I was born this way!

43Hitman
07-24-2017, 04:03 AM
I was born this way!I love this answer!!

usoutpost31
07-24-2017, 06:10 AM
- - - Updated - - -

I was a fan of another team, Rams, for almost 20 years. There was a time when I thought it was for life.

To make a long story short, that experience nearly killed my interest in the NFL entirely. I won't list all the things that went wrong there, but suffice it to say I wasn't going to stay in an abusive, dead end relationship for the sake of "loyalty". I had to find something better.

I'm a Steeler fan, but for only a few months now. I needed a new team to root for and I picked them. They're going to give me what I need as a sports fan. Committed, stable management. Passionate, knowledgeable fan base. A brand of football people want to watch. And ownership that doesn't bilk every last dollar from their fans but tries to give them their money's worth.

teegre
07-24-2017, 10:03 AM
- - - Updated - - -

I was a fan of another team, Rams, for almost 20 years. There was a time when I thought it was for life.

To make a long story short, that experience nearly killed my interest in the NFL entirely. I won't list all the things that went wrong there, but suffice it to say I wasn't going to stay in an abusive, dead end relationship for the sake of "loyalty". I had to find something better.

I'm a Steeler fan, but for only a few months now. I needed a new team to root for and I picked them. They're going to give me what I need as a sports fan. Committed, stable management. Passionate, knowledgeable fan base. A brand of football people want to watch. And ownership that doesn't bilk every last dollar from their fans but tries to give them their money's worth.

Welcome.

My wife is in a similar boat. Once the Chargers moved to LA, she "officially" became a Steelers fan.

Of course, it was an easy transition, considering she has watched every single Steelers game with me since we have been dating/married... and has worn Steelers yoga pants & a Steelers shirt while doing so. :nod:

Steel 36 Bus
07-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Born and raised in Gettysburg/Hanover area. moved to L.A. in 1988. growing up my Dad and all of my uncles were Steelers fans. we would watch all of the games. they were bad in the late 60's when I started following them. I was really young. they have always been my team.

when the wife and I fly back to visits the families. we have to fly into Baltimore. and I always have Steelers gear on 365 days of the yr. So I am always getting their crap at the airport. so I have to give history lessons. I tell them when I grew up here. the Colts were here and your team was in Cleveland wearing orange. that shuts them up every time. lol.

Nadroj 20
07-24-2017, 10:13 PM
I love this answer!!

It's congenital in my family. My son has it too!