PDA

View Full Version : Worse Pick – Jarvis Jones or Dri Archer?

polamalubeast
06-25-2017, 03:54 PM

86WARD
06-25-2017, 03:57 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170625/c56ec1eec7e1c1c98b1479500ac36048.jpg

polamalubeast
06-25-2017, 03:57 PM
For me this is Archer....At least Jones was a need at that time, which was not the case for Archer

The steelers had a lot of need in 2014, which makes the pick of Archer ridiculous.

But at least the others 3 pick in the first 4 rounds was great in this draft.

86WARD
06-25-2017, 03:58 PM
Can't see the link but I think I would go Jones based strictly on his draft position versus where Archer was taken. I was really pissed they passed on Martavis Bryant at that spot but when they got him in Round 4, for me, it was then okay.

Mojouw
06-25-2017, 04:02 PM
If Archer turned out to be a version of Sproles, Tyreek Hill, Randall Cobb, or Devonte Freeman -- it would've been a great pick. He didn't so it wasn't.

There is no reality where Jarvis Jones was a great pick. Just nothing. He simply was never going to be good enough to put up double digit sack #'s in the NFL.

st33lersguy
06-25-2017, 05:27 PM
Archer, Jones was a need and Jones had a couple moments. Archer did nothing and was not a need at all. Still don't understand why they thought they needed to draft a shrimp scatback before addressing the defensive backfield which was a big need

polamalubeast
06-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Do not forget that the 2013 draft was a very weak draft in the NFL....

One of the worst draft of all-time.So many first round bust.

Steeldude
06-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Jones. He hurt the team for years.

fansince'76
06-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Archer. At least an argument could be made that Jones belonged in the NFL. Not the case with Super Runt.

AtlantaDan
06-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Always worse to miss on a first round pick but Jones made an occasional play and was a sometimes starter until the Steelers finally gave up after the Dallas game in 2016 - Archer was absolutely worthless

Kind of like asking worse outcome - Pats or Ravens in Super Bowl - both alternatives are awful

steelreserve
06-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Archer without a doubt. Jones at least might have panned out. Archer, you could see exactly what we were getting, which is a running back who couldn't run, a receiver who couldn't get open, and a kick returner with no kicks to return. It was a total WTF pick from about a second after they announced it.

teegre
06-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Jones. Because, we could have drafted Matt Elam instead.

Oh... right. :doh:

GBMelBlount
06-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Jones.

He was a first round pick.

We desperately needed him to perform on defense.

Then we wasted years giving him a chance.

Epic fail squared.

RunNGun
06-25-2017, 11:59 PM
Archer. I do remember how good Archer looked in the preseason and was actually very excited to see what he could do in the regular season. I think fear got the best of him. Can't say I blame him. At that size, taking a clean hit from an NFL linebacker or safety could really do some damage. Steelers should have known better, that's why he's a worse pick than Jones.

Count Steeler
06-26-2017, 04:16 AM
Jones. Even though he was injured his first couple of seasons, he didn't have the moxie to play in the NFL. Archer was a gamble from the get go. However, Jones was a 1st round pick, (could have used it on a long snapper and we would be ahead of the game, with hindsight) and because of that was held on to for far too long and kept the team from addressing the real need at OLB. Thank God James Harrison found the fountain of youth.

hawaiiansteeler
06-26-2017, 02:49 PM
the last time i was faced with this type of a decision i was forced to vote between Trump or Hillary

https://i.imgflip.com/14cbeb.jpg

steelerdude15
06-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Archer. At least we got a play or 2 out of Jarvis. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
06-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Archer. At least we got a play or 2 out of Jarvis. :chuckle:

I agree with you.

I understand the Round #1 vs Round #3 argument but Dri Archer was an unmitigated disaster from the very beginning.

ALLD
06-26-2017, 03:47 PM
I remember when the other team picked up Archer on a KR and carried him back over a very long whistle eventually stripping the ball. Archer was another example of the Steelers out thinking themselves on draft day while Jones was blind hope.

Archer should have never been drafted by any team while we did get a few plays out of JJ who never lived up to his draft status.

DesertSteel
06-26-2017, 10:34 PM
Jones. By a million miles.

Born2Steel
06-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Archer. I actually saw Jones catch a football once.

tube517
06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
They both sucked.

Is it September yet?

DesertSteel
06-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Archer was a 3rd and Jones was a 1st. There's no comparison about which was the bigger bust. Honestly, as bad as Archer was, he never got much of a chance on the field. A couple plays here and there. But he must not have had much of a heart given that he turned down a shot with another team because he wasn't guaranteed a place on the 53. But Jones had all the hype and was a 1st. He was given more than ample opportunity. BUST City! He sucked from day one.

polamalubeast
06-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Archer was a 3rd and Jones was a 1st. There's no comparison about which was the bigger bust. Honestly, as bad as Archer was, he never got much of a chance on the field. A couple plays here and there. But he must not have had much of a heart given that he turned down a shot with another team because he wasn't guaranteed a place on the 53. But Jones had all the hype and was a 1st. He was given more than ample opportunity. BUST City! He sucked from day one.

Yes but the first round of the 2013 draft was a disaster in general for the NFL.

So many bust in the 2013 draft in the first round.

st33lersguy
06-27-2017, 11:23 AM
Yes but the first round of the 2013 draft was a disaster in general for the NFL.

So many bust in the 2013 draft in the first round.

Yeah and 2014 is looking like a high quality draft class as of now

Steel Peon
06-29-2017, 02:11 AM
Jones was at least a serviceable back-up, whereas Archer had no discernable positives, and couldn't even use his speed advantage effectively. That being said, the list of great players we could've had instead of Jones dwarfs the alternatives to Archer, so I have to say Jones due to obviously better options, including Tyler Eifert at the very least.

BlackAndGold
06-29-2017, 09:16 AM
You have to hit first round picks, that alone can set a team back. So I have to go with Jones, but Archer is flat out not a NFL player. Jones at least is a solid rotational player who plays hard, and plays the run well.

Could go either way, Jones being a 1st round pick was due to a weak draft class, especially for pass rushers. Archer should not have been picked over Devonta Freeman, Richard Rodgers, or Bashaud Breeland. Those players had legit positions.

But imagining that Cockrell(early 4th round) was drafted besides Archer makes me feel better.

teegre
06-29-2017, 10:04 AM
You have to hit first round picks, that alone can set a team back. So I have to go with Jones, but Archer is flat out not a NFL player. Jones at least is a solid rotational player who plays hard, and plays the run well.

Could go either way, Jones being a 1st round pick was due to a weak draft class, especially for pass rushers. Archer should not have been picked over Devonta Freeman, Richard Rodgers, or Bashaud Breeland. Those players had legit positions.

But imagining that Cockrell(early 4th round) was drafted besides Archer makes me feel better.

I think that this post nails it.

Archer was easily the worse player.

Jones was the worse pick.

steelreserve
06-29-2017, 01:38 PM
Really it's potato potahto. All we're talking about here is how to define "worse."

Jones was the worse pick if you mean getting a poor return on investment, weighted to account for what we gave up.

Archer was the worse pick if by "worse" you mean a flat-out bonehead move.

Jones was a case of not living up to his potential; Archer was a case of not even having any potential to begin with, a drop-dead waste of a pick from Day 1.

Either way: We used a first-round and a third-round pick, and got nothing to show for either.

Six Rings
06-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Jones. He hurt the team for years.

Right. Jones was a first round pick. Archer a third round pick. Both sucked, but Archer being a third round pick mitigates the mistake a bit.

Born2Steel
06-29-2017, 06:09 PM
I think that this post nails it.

Archer was easily the worse player.

Jones was the worse pick.

This is the answer.

awe1028
07-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Jones.

He was a first round pick.

We desperately needed him to perform on defense.

Then we wasted years giving him a chance.

Epic fail squared.

Was about to respond to the thread and then I saw your post. It so perfectly reflects my views of Jones as being so much worse than Archer that I simply quoted it and essentially bolded it in its entirety.

zulater
07-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Two picks that obviously didn't work out. You can piss and moan all you want and grouse how idiotic the Steelers were to make these picks but I'll come back and say "So effing what?"

Here's how I view those drafts.

In the 2014 draft we got Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt, and Martavis Bryant. If Bryant keeps his nose clean I call this 3 high end starters. Any draft that produces 3 high end starters is a pretty damn good draft if you ask me.

As far as JArvis Jones and the 2013 draft. That was a weak draft by any standards but yeah no question Jones was a failed pick. But me being a glass half full guy, rather than lament and moan how a wasted first round pick is supposedly insurmountable and sets back the franchise decades I instead applaud the Steelers for going against virtually everyone's better judgement and passing on Eddie Lacy and using their 2nd round pick, (48th overall) to procure inarguably the best player of the entire draft in Le'Veon Bell.:applaudit: