PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Still Drop Their Pass Rushers Into Coverage More Than Every Other Team

polamalubeast
06-18-2017, 12:17 PM
One of the common themes of complaints that we have heard throughout the years about the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense under former defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, and now under his protégé and successor, Keith Butler, has been that they too often spend their time dropping their rushers into coverage, which some feel is a waste of opportunity.

I don’t know if they plan to change that any time soon, but we do know that it was still ever-present just last season, and Pro Football Focus has the statistics. According to their charting, no team in the league last season spent more time dropping pass-rushing players in their front seven into coverage than the Steelers did, and really only one other team was particularly close.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/steelers-still-drop-pass-rushers-coverage-every-team/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Craic
06-18-2017, 04:16 PM
I think the article is a little unfair as it treats the stats in a vacuum and doesn't take into account we had two rookies and a second year(?) starter as DBs. of course you're going to drop more people into a zone coverage while those players learn the speed of the NFL. Moreover, it worked right up until the AFCCG. So there's not much to complain about, IMO. The coaches did an great job with the parts they had. Then, in the offseason, they went out and got a few more parts.

Mojouw
06-18-2017, 05:49 PM
It fails to account for the entire conceptual Basis of the defense. Drop an interior pass rusher into coverage so a DB can come from somewhere else.

fansince'76
06-18-2017, 06:27 PM
I think the article is a little unfair as it treats the stats in a vacuum and doesn't take into account we had two rookies and a second year(?) starter as DBs.

That's what PFF does in general and it's also why I dismiss their "analyses" out of hand...

Craic
06-19-2017, 05:30 PM
That's what PFF does in general and it's also why I dismiss their "analyses" out of hand...
I don't mind it on pure stats. The more context is considered, the more bias can be entered (determining what is and is not important in context). I'd expect an author, however, to do a little more research than that.

Mojouw
06-19-2017, 06:15 PM

To be fair it is about what every "analysis" does. Context is too hard and boring for most folks anymore.