PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Greatest NFL Team of Last 50 years?

GBMelBlount
06-13-2017, 07:39 PM
We are going on 50 years since the merger and if I am not mistaken the Steelers have been blessed to have more Lombardi's and wins than any other team.

So while they are without question the greatest team in the last 50 years, I am curious what team you consider for the 2nd best by whatever standard YOU choose.

Superbowl wins

Regular season wins

Great coaches, players and rivalries.

etc.

For me #2 is the Cowboys. :couch:

teegre
06-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Taperiots

:puke:

polamalubeast
06-13-2017, 07:50 PM
It's probably the cowboys....Even if they have not been the same since 1997, they still have a winning record since that time.

The packers deserve a mention, but they had a long bad period between Vince Lombardi and Brett Favre (1968 to 1991)

I don't want to see a mention on the pats, since they are the Chicago Bulls of the nfl....Great for almost 20 years, but they were 60 games under .500 before Brady.

I don't consider the 49ers as a good choice too

- - - Updated - - -

Taperiots

:puke:

The bulls did nothing without Michael Jordan.

It's the same thing for the Pats without Brady.

teegre
06-13-2017, 08:08 PM

I see what you're trying to say.

But, even though the Bulls haven't won a championship without Jordan, the Steelers, Colts, (et al) haven't won a championship without a franchise QB. (Make sense?)

Plus, the fact is that when Jordan was playing, they were THE team to beat for 14 seasons (much like Brady's 17 seasons).

polamalubeast
06-13-2017, 08:16 PM
I see what you're trying to say.

But, even though the Bulls haven't won a championship without Jordan, the Steelers, Colts, (et al) haven't won a championship without a franchise QB. (Make sense?)

Plus, the fact is that when Jordan was playing, they were THE team to beat for 14 seasons (much like Brady's 17 seasons).

It's just that other teams have been more consistent than the Pats.

Before 2001, the pats had 60 games under .500 in their history.In the case of cowboys, although they have not had much success since 1997, they still have a winning record in this period and it is easily their worst period in their history.

steelreserve
06-13-2017, 08:48 PM
49ers for sure. More ways to beat you than the Patriots and they had a better defense. Plus, they dominated a period that had three or four other teams that might otherwise have had a shot at being among the all-time best. (Bears, Giants, to a lesser extent the Redskins and Broncos)

Cowboys would be a close third for the same reasons, only because their success seemed to come in short bursts.

If we're talking head-to-head matchups, no compensating for different eras, the Patriots would get absolutely trounced by either of those teams as well as the Bears and possibly the Giants. I wouldn't even put them in the top 5 for overall franchise success (Raiders, and much as I hate them, the Packers).

I have to say, if there is one matchup I think would be fun to watch, it's the Patriots against the '80s Dolphins. Although the way those kinds of things turn out, the final score would probably be 10-6 or some bullshit.

st33lersguy
06-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Cowgirls. They are the only other team in the Super Bowl era with 2 or more Super Bowl wins in 2 different decades. Plus every team had dry spells of mediocrity and went through long periods of time without Super Bowls so the Cowboys being irrelevant since 1997 doesn't detract my statement

BostonBlackie
06-13-2017, 09:50 PM

Before 2001, the pats had 60 games under .500 in their history.In the case of cowboys, although they have not had much success since 1997, they still have a winning record in this period and it is easily their worst period in their history.

The problem with the Patriots is their lack of consistency? Are you sure?

If you're going to put the Steelers No. 1, with only two SB victories in the 36 years following their run, how can you say the Patriots have been inconsistent while they are still involved in a, so far, 16 year stretch of dominance?

teegre
06-13-2017, 09:54 PM

Before 2001, the pats had 60 games under .500 in their history.

Good points.

But... the Tapes were in a SuperBowl in the 80's and the 90's.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're going to put the Steelers No. 1, with only two SB victories in the 36 years following their run, how can you say the Patriots have been inconsistent while they are still involved in a, so far, 16 year stretch of dominance?

Wait... crap... I'm agreeing with a Taperiots fan.

KILL ME!!!

:lol:

BostonBlackie
06-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Cowgirls. They are the only other team in the Super Bowl era with 2 or more Super Bowl wins in 2 different decades. Plus every team had dry spells of mediocrity and went through long periods of time without Super Bowls so the Cowboys being irrelevant since 1997 doesn't detract my statement

I'm pretty sure that 2000 to 2010, and 2010 to now, is two different decades.

st33lersguy
06-13-2017, 09:55 PM

If you're going to put the Steelers No. 1, with only two SB victories in the 36 years following their run, how can you say they Patriots have been inconsistent while they are still involved in a so far 16 year stretch of dominance?

Probably because the Steelers still managed 2 Super Bowl wins in a 4 year stretch after their dynasty run while before 2001, the Patriots most memorable Super Bowl moment was getting whipped by the 85 Bears.

fansince'76
06-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Good points.

But... the Tapes were in a SuperBowl in the 80's and the 90's.

They had some pretty good teams in the late '70s too.

lipps83
06-13-2017, 09:58 PM
I would put Pats. SB appearance in 80's and 90's. Very, very bad team for a few stretches here and there, but overall actually a pretty good franchise.

Over 30 years total out of 50 of above .500 football.

BostonBlackie
06-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Probably because the Steelers still managed 2 Super Bowl wins in a 4 year stretch after their dynasty run while before 2001, the Patriots most memorable Super Bowl moment was getting whipped by the 85 Bears.

Well, certainly the Patriots had a long dry spell, but I think they've made up for it. You can debate that though, I agree. It's all fun anyway.

teegre
06-13-2017, 09:59 PM
49ers for sure. More ways to beat you than the Patriots and they had a better defense. Plus, they dominated a period that had three or four other teams that might otherwise have had a shot at being among the all-time best. (Bears, Giants, to a lesser extent the Redskins and Broncos)

Cowboys would be a close third for the same reasons, only because their success seemed to come in short bursts.

If we're talking head-to-head matchups, no compensating for different eras, the Patriots would get absolutely trounced by either of those teams as well as the Bears and possibly the Giants. I wouldn't even put them in the top 5 for overall franchise success (Raiders, and much as I hate them, the Packers).

I have to say, if there is one matchup I think would be fun to watch, it's the Patriots against the '80s Dolphins. Although the way those kinds of things turn out, the final score would probably be 10-6 or some bullshit.

Clarify for me... are we talking about greatest team over the entire past 45 years? Or, the best team "for one season" during that 45 years???

What you posted sounds like the latter... and I'd take the '85 Bears against anybody.

Using your last paragraph as a launching point, I'd love to see Dan Marino pass using today's rules.

Marino vs. Fouts... 77-63 :lol:

st33lersguy
06-13-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm pretty sure that 2000 to 2010, and 2010 to now, is two different decades.

You're right, I was thinking, only other team that won 2+ Super Bowls in 2 non-consecutive decades, 2+ Super Bowls with 2 different QBs. And also 2 Super Bowls in 2 different decades without cheating :)

teegre
06-13-2017, 10:01 PM

Yep

Sam "Bam" Cunningham

BostonBlackie
06-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Yep

Sam "Bam" Cunningham

That team with Fransis, Hannah, etc., was their best team until the 2000s.

- - - Updated - - -

You're right, I was thinking, only other team that won 2+ Super Bowls in 2 non-consecutive decades, 2+ Super Bowls with 2 different QBs. And also 2 Super Bowls in 2 different decades without cheating :)

Now lets be nice.

Born2Steel
06-13-2017, 10:10 PM

Patriots won in 2005, then next in 2015. 2 in 10 years is not dominance. 3 SBs in early 2000s, then 2 in the mid 20teens? Not exactly a dominating 16 year run. Won a lot of games, but so did other teams.

BostonBlackie
06-13-2017, 10:15 PM
Patriots won in 2005, then next in 2015. 2 in 10 years is not dominance. 3 SBs in early 2000s, then 2 in the mid 20teens? Not exactly a dominating 16 year run. Won a lot of games, but so did other teams.

I don't know. 7 trips to the SB, with 5 wins, in 16 years is pretty dominate.

Born2Steel
06-13-2017, 10:15 PM
I don't know. 7 trips to the SB, with 5 wins, in 16 years is pretty dominate.

I would have to agree. You don't know.

BostonBlackie
06-13-2017, 11:55 PM
I would have to agree. You don't know.

I think if you spent less time trying to be dominant yourself, you might be able to see how dominant the Patriots have been.

teegre
06-14-2017, 06:17 AM
I think that we are letting personal bias cloud our judgement.

If you told me that over the next 20 seasons, the Steelers would go to 8 SuperBowls, winning 5 of them... I'd take that in a heartbeat. And, so would every single one of you.

Let me put that into perspective... over the past 21 seasons, the Steelers have gone to 4 SuperBowls, winning 2 of them.

polamalubeast
06-14-2017, 06:25 AM
I think that we are letting personal bias cloud our judgement.

If you told me that over the next 20 seasons, the Steelers would go to 8 SuperBowls, winning 5 of them... I'd take that in a heartbeat. And, so would every single one of you.

Let me put that into perspective... over the past 21 seasons, the Steelers have gone to 4 SuperBowls, winning 2 of them.

Of course, but the question is not which teams have had the most success since 2000, but which teams have had the most success since 50 years after the steelers.

If pats would have been successful in the 1980s and 1990s instead of the 2000s and 2010s and that the 49ers would have had their success in the 2000s and 2010s instead of the 1980s and 1990s, would the 49ers be considered as the 2nd best teams in the last 50 years instead?

teegre
06-14-2017, 06:41 AM
As far as the Bulls go...

They have the third most championships in NBA history. We can take out the Celtics and Lakers (who are in their own stratosphere).

The next two teams (after the Bulls) are the Spurs (who never won anything without Tim Duncan) and the Warriors (who took 60 years to get their 5 championships).

SUMMATION:
Yep, I consider the Bulls (and Taperiots) to he pretty darn good.

BostonBlackie
06-14-2017, 06:59 AM

Which is not bad because there are about 5 good teams in the league, year in year out, and if you're going to the SB every 5 years, or close to that, it says you're one of those 5 teams almost every year, because you're alternating with the other 4.

That theory may be a bit forced though.

Steeldude
06-14-2017, 07:14 AM
It's probably the cowboys....Even if they have not been the same since 1997, they still have a winning record since that time.

The packers deserve a mention, but they had a long bad period between Vince Lombardi and Brett Favre (1968 to 1991)

I don't want to see a mention on the pats, since they are the Chicago Bulls of the nfl....Great for almost 20 years, but they were 60 games under .500 before Brady.

I don't consider the 49ers as a good choice too

- - - Updated - - -

I think it has most to do with Belichick. He took over in 2000.

tube517
06-14-2017, 08:10 AM

The 76 team handed the Raiders their only loss that year and nearly beat the Raiders in the playoffs that same year when the Raiders dominated.

(Grogan, Francis, Sam Bam, Mike Haynes, John Hannah) I used to have football cards in the 70s. Lot of gum chewing back then :chuckle:

Hate to say it but they have been to the Super Bowl every decade from the 80s until now. Not dominant teams but have had success.

teegre
06-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Of course, but the question is not which teams have had the most success since 2000, but which teams have had the most success since 50 years after the steelers.

If pats would have been successful in the 1980s and 1990s instead of the 2000s and 2010s and that the 49ers would have had their success in the 2000s and 2010s instead of the 1980s and 1990s, would the 49ers be considered as the 2nd best teams in the last 50 years instead?

Every team has periods of suck. Let's look specifically at the Niners and Tapes.

NINERS:
70's: suck
80's: dominant
90's: great
00's: suck
10's: 2012 SuperBowl

SuperBowl appearances: 6
SuperBowl victories: 5

TAPES:
70's: great
80's: 85 SuperBowl
90's: 96 SuperBowl
00's: dominant
10's: dominant

SuperBowl appearances: 9

fansince'76
06-14-2017, 08:37 AM
The 76 team handed the Raiders their only loss that year and nearly beat the Raiders in the playoffs that same year when the Raiders dominated.

(Grogan, Francis, Sam Bam, Mike Haynes, John Hannah) I used to have football cards in the 70s. Lot of gum chewing back then :chuckle:

I remember Tim Fox too, but only because of the hair...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41mRMcpbmVL.jpg

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
06-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Every team has periods of suck. Let's look specifically at the Niners and Tapes.

NINERS:

TAPES:

The patriots were 60 games under .500 before the 2001 season.They were far from being good at this time, even with 2 participations in the super bowl.

And in my opinion, the San Antonio Spurs have a better history than the Bulls even with one less championship.The spurs have the best win percentage in nba history and they have been a contender more often than the Bulls.They were good with David Robinson too

Mojouw
06-14-2017, 08:51 AM
Don't we have to split this in to before and after salary cap? For instance, Niners dominant run was, in part, fueled by high-level QB play. Realistically, the only reason they were able to collect and hang onto Montana, Young, Bono, Garcia, etc was because for portions of that run there was no cap.

I just think the drafting, roster depth, etc was fundamentally different before and post cap. May not be "fair" to compare between the two.

tube517
06-14-2017, 09:02 AM
I remember Tim Fox too, but only because of the hair...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41mRMcpbmVL.jpg

I had his card, too! :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
06-14-2017, 09:30 AM
I think it has most to do with Belichick. He took over in 2000.

Agreed.

Also, Belichick had 25 years of coaching under his belt to prepare for his opportunity with the Patriots.

Tomlin had 10.

In other words, all of Tomlins accomplishments to date as a head coach are at an age before Belichek even became a head crotch.

And I believe Tomlin is getting better every year...although his dancing still needs a lot of work. :chuckle:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/197wfgqy5rj7lgif/original.gif

st33lersguy
06-14-2017, 09:34 AM

NINERS:

TAPES:

The Patriots were not a great team in the 70s. They made the playoffs only twice, did not win a playoff game, did not have a winning record until more than halfway through the decade, and had more seasons with 3 or fewer wins than postseason appearances. The 2000s niners which you classified as suck had as many playoff appearances as the 70s patriots and unlike the 70s Patriots, the 00s niners won a playoff game. I would also use a different word to describe the 70s Pats and the 90s niners. The 90s niners won a Super Bowl, went to 5 NFC Championship games, had 6 first round byes, won 12+ games 6 times, and didn't have a season that finished under 10 wins untill 99

tube517
06-14-2017, 09:42 AM
Agreed.

Also, Belichick had 25 years of coaching under his belt to prepare for his opportunity with the Patriots.

Tomlin had 10.

In other words, all of Tomlins accomplishments to date as a head coach are at an age before Belichek even became a head crotch.

And I believe Tomlin is getting better every year...although his dancing still needs a lot of work. :chuckle:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/197wfgqy5rj7lgif/original.gif

http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/dti/rendered/2009/01/C4S_romanojp012709_54245a_8col.jpg

polamalubeast
06-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Even after the 1970s, the steelers have been in the AFC title game, 10 times since 1980 and 9 times in the last 25 years with 4 super bowl appearance.

The pats have been in the AFC title game, only 2 times before the 2000s.

Born2Steel
06-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Even after the 1970s, the steelers have been in the AFC title game, 10 times since 1980 and 9 times in the last 25 years with 4 super bowl appearance.

This = /thread.

steelreserve
06-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Clarify for me... are we talking about greatest team over the entire past 45 years? Or, the best team "for one season" during that 45 years???

What you posted sounds like the latter... and I'd take the '85 Bears against anybody.

Using your last paragraph as a launching point, I'd love to see Dan Marino pass using today's rules.

Marino vs. Fouts... 77-63 :lol:

Not the best individual team for a season; that was a tangent.

For the best sustained run of success - like, not only were they dominant for a long time, but the team itself could 1v1 the opponent you're talking about, the 49ers and Cowboys both beat the Patriots, the 49ers even more so because they carried it over two different quarterbacks and without losing so many Super Bowls.

From a franchise-over-50-years standpoint, then it's more like the Cowboys beat the Patriots and the 49ers tie the Patriots ... then the Raiders and Packers with multiple long periods of success beat them in a franchise respect, but probably had a lower peak. I guess the Giants have to be thrown into the mix also; 4 Super Bowls over a 30-year mostly successful span is no joke either.

As far as the '85 Bears ... I don't put the Bears up there as the best franchise, but the point there was that the '80s Bears COULD have easily won multiple championships in most eras, as could the '80s-'90s Giants, if they weren't unlucky enough to play at the same time as two superteams. That makes the 49ers and Cowboys' accomplishments that much more impressive; the competition was FIERCE.

So I guess that what I'm saying is that by any standard, the Patriots are at most fourth-best, and if you stretch it outside of one run of success, even lower than that. They've had one good run and a couple of title game losses where they were lucky to be there, and otherwise mostly been a laughingstock that I can remember.

steelreserve
06-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Don't we have to split this in to before and after salary cap? For instance, Niners dominant run was, in part, fueled by high-level QB play. Realistically, the only reason they were able to collect and hang onto Montana, Young, Bono, Garcia, etc was because for portions of that run there was no cap.

I just think the drafting, roster depth, etc was fundamentally different before and post cap. May not be "fair" to compare between the two.

Since when does "fair" apply to the Patriots?

But in all seriousness, you can argue that both ways. The Patriots would not be as successful if it were not for all the financial rules (which they are among the best at navigating). Most of their challengers end up being gutted repeatedly due to salary cap issues. They have figured out a system that takes best advantage of the current rules - in particular, an offensive scheme that requires one semi-talented player and you can pretty much plug-and-play the rest - and build the team around that and good coaching. I don't think they're as good of a football team as any of the "dynasty" teams before them, and probably not even as good as a lot of teams that played second-fiddle to the dynasties, and the way they got there is certainly less inspiring.

It's kind of like how Floyd Mayweather dominated boxing - winning a lot of fights by the rules by being technically sound, even though it was cheap as hell and everyone hated it. But I don't think you'll find many people who think Tyson at his best wouldn't have beat the dogshit out of him, or who wouldn't love to see him do it.

GBMelBlount
06-14-2017, 09:00 PM
Here is the CBS Sports 2015 ranking of the top nfl teams of the superbowl era.

1. Dallas Cowboys (164 points)

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (161 points)

3. San Francisco 49ers (129 points)

4. Oakland Raiders (126 points)

5. Green Bay Packers (124 points)

6. New England Patriots (112 points)

7. Washington Redskins (108 points)

8. Miami Dolphins (104 points)

9. Minnesota Vikings (104 points)

10. Denver Broncos (101 points)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-all-time-nfl-power-rankings----of-the-super-bowl-era/

BostonBlackie
06-14-2017, 11:22 PM
Top 9 Football Dynasties

Ranking the 9 greatest dynasties in NFL history

New England Patriots (2001-16)

Playoff appearances: 14
Super Bowl appearances: 7
Super Bowl wins: 5
The Patriots’ dynasty has been longer than any other in NFL history, and it’s by many standards the most impressive. In the span of 16 years, the Patriots have made the playoffs 14 times, reached seven Super Bowls and won five championships. They’re now just one Super Bowl shy of the Steelers for the most in NFL history despite winning all of theirs in a much shorter timeframe.
Not to mention, the Patriots have done all of this in the salary cap and free agency era, which makes it much more difficult for franchises to keep teams together. It’s a testament to the greatness of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady. Only once have they finished a season with fewer than 10 wins. That’s otherworldly and something that never happens.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-dynasties-greatest-best-cowboys-steelers-patriots-packers-ranking-021717

As far as the NFL goes it's the Patriots hands down. The only question is are they up there with the Celtics? I would say one more SB win in the next 2 years and you can say unequivocally the 2 greatest dynasties in all of sports are the Boston Celtics, and the New England Patriots, in a tie, followed by the Yankees, and the Canadians.

Born2Steel
06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
What does CBS know? Straight from NFL.com....

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/records/playoffs/team/games

st33lersguy
06-15-2017, 01:46 PM
This is last 50 years not just last 16 years. From 1966-2000 the Pats were a losing franchise. 9 postseason appearances (10 if you count a pre-Super Bowl era postseason appearance), 6 playoff wins, and they had more seasons where they finished with the worst record in the NFL than they had seasons where they won a playoff game.

86WARD
06-15-2017, 03:34 PM
It's not the Patriots...there's no longevity there...lol. Dallas Would probably be number 2

BostonBlackie
06-15-2017, 09:15 PM
It's not the Patriots...there's no longevity there...lol. Dallas Would probably be number 2

Of course 16 years worth of longevity is what makes the Patriots number 1. I'll let you, Dallas, the 49ers, Green Bay, etc., argue over whose flash in the pan was the brightest?

steelreserve
06-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Of course 16 years worth of longevity is what makes the Patriots number 1. I'll let you, Dallas, the 49ers, Green Bay, etc., argue over whose flash in the pan was the brightest?

Uhh ... hey trollface. Your team doesn't even have the best 16-year stretch. And that's ALL they've got.

GBMelBlount
06-15-2017, 10:00 PM

Blackie, it is a real pleasure to have you here.

Based on your compelling arguments (and yours alone!), you have caused me to completely rethink things and catapult the Patriots to THE #5 team over the last 50 years!!!!!! :applaudit:

------------------

5. New England Patriots (112 points)

6. Green Bay Packers (124 points)

7. Washington Redskins (108 points)

8. Miami Dolphins (104 points)

9. Minnesota Vikings (104 points)

10. Denver Broncos (101 points)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekP2nRmCkSM

st33lersguy
06-15-2017, 10:02 PM
I know reading and reading comprehension is difficult for the average Brady/Bellichick fangirl so maybe I shouldn't be surprised he didn't comprehend the subject of the thread so let me spell it out for you. It's performance last 50 years not last 16 years

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 12:13 AM
Fireworks are beautiful to watch. They appear out of the night ski, flashing, exploding, expanding, and then they're gone. The Steelers put on a great show over 6 years. Over the next 36 years they are a 2 for 4 in SBs, Denver-lite. The Patriots on the other hand almost can't play a game without Belichick and/or Brady, breaking a record.

polamalubeast
06-16-2017, 06:15 AM
Fireworks are beautiful to watch. They appear out of the night ski, flashing, exploding, expanding, and then they're gone. The Steelers put on a great show over 6 years. Over the next 36 years they are a 2 for 4 in SBs, Denver-lite. The Patriots on the other hand almost can't play a game without Belichick and/or Brady, breaking a record.

86WARD
06-16-2017, 08:04 AM

Okay. Lol. 16 years worth of cheating maybe? Even if they played it straight, which they clearly did not, 16 years isn't longevity over a 50 year period...lol. Duh.

It's okay, 4th or 5th over a 50-year period isn't so bad. Nothing for you to cry over.

steelreserve
06-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Honestly I would just stop talking to this clown, he's obviously just a troll who gets off on it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 09:26 AM
I would agree that the question is who is the second greatest team over the last 50 years, because without question this Patriot team is number 1. Same coach, same QB, 16 years, 14 playoffs, 7 Super Bowl appearances, 5 wins, only one season under 10 wins. Who's the troll? Anyone who doubts that the crown is on display at Gillette.

st33lersguy
06-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Honestly I would just stop talking to this clown, he's obviously just a troll who gets off on it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Yeah, it's impossible to have a rationale discussion with a brady/bellichick fan. They forgo rational discussion for ballwashing their team and trashing every other team then throw a bitch fit if you bring up spygate or deflategate

polamalubeast
06-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Boston fans probably have the worst reputation in sports.

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Steeler fans walk around with a white cane, and sunglasses.

polamalubeast
06-16-2017, 09:46 AM
Fans are not responsible for the successes of the pats....The players are.

So your arrogance is pathetic since you are in no way responsible for the success of the Pats.

You are surely a warriors fan too in the NBA.

Mojouw
06-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Okay. Let's try this. 16 is only a portion of 50. In fact it is only about one third. So does a dominant run for one third outweigh the wretchedness of the other two thirds?

fansince'76
06-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Boston fans probably have the worst reputation in sports.

Boston has a shitty (and richly deserved) reputation in general. And yeah, it kills me whenever they bring up Bill Russell and the '60s Celtics in particular while beating their chests about Boston's "sports tradition":

Celtics Hall of Famer Bill Russell may have been named one of the NBA’s 50 greatest players, but that didn’t shield him from bigotry during his playing days. Russell, who once called Boston a “flea market of racism,” even had vandals break into his home just to defecate in his bed. His teammates also felt the hatred. “We were living in Framingham when I was a player,” recalls Celtics Hall of Famer K. C. Jones. “I went to buy a house about five blocks away…. The neighbors said they didn’t want any blacks to move into the house.” Another time, Jones applied for membership at a country club, only to be told they weren’t fond of “entertainers.” Still, Jones is quick to point out that he enjoyed his time in Boston, and that things have changed. He even calls me back to make sure I note that he harbors no ill will. He stresses this. But he also knows that the city’s racism didn’t end with him or Russell.

Read more: Playing Through the Pain
(http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2007/12/playing-through-the-pain/)
And another "gem": Why Boston's Sports Teams Can't Escape the City's Racism
(http://time.com/4763746/boston-baltimore-orioles-adam-jones-racism/)

Fans are not responsible for the successes of the pats....The players are.

So your arrogance is pathetic since you are in no way responsible for the success of the Pats.

You are surely a warriors fan too in the NBA.

And another one whose undivided attention will probably turn back to DA SAWX after Brady retires and the Patriots fall back to mediocrity. At its heart, Boston is still a baseball town, first and foremost...

Mojouw
06-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Boston has a shitty (and richly deserved) reputation in general. And yeah, it kills me whenever they bring up Bill Russell and the '60s Celtics in particular while beating their chests about Boston's "sports tradition":

Read more: Playing Through the Pain
(http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2007/12/playing-through-the-pain/)
And another "gem": Why Boston's Sports Teams Can't Escape the City's Racism
(http://time.com/4763746/boston-baltimore-orioles-adam-jones-racism/)

And another one whose undivided attention will probably turn back to DA SAWX after Brady retires and the Patriots fall back to mediocrity. At its heart, Boston is still a baseball town, first and foremost...

I wonder what they would do if Brady was black? Or better yet, Welker or Edelman?!

BengalGirl5150
06-16-2017, 11:50 AM
I would agree that the question is who is the second greatest team over the last 50 years, because without question this Patriot team is number 1. Same coach, same QB, 16 years, 14 playoffs, 7 Super Bowl appearances, 5 wins, only one season under 10 wins. Who's the troll? Anyone who doubts that the crown is on display at Gillette.

LOL omg are u serious? u guys play in the WORST div in pro sports for the past 20 years & then act like yr the best b/c u get cakewalked into a bye week homefield adv every year. Try playing in a REAL division and youd be lucky to win 10 games most years. lol, no playoffs for U!

I dont like the STEALERS but at least when they win they win by beating the BEST! Not like your whiny qb and his coach who never won anything before he started CHEATING! LOL!!

anyway I guess thanks to yr cupcake schedule AGAIN we'll see u in the playoffs where you lose yr 1st game half the time anyway. ooh, we beat up on the jets & dolphins all year again, look at us, we're so great. maybe u can comfort urself w/ that while yr smoking your cigar after LOSING to da AFC NORTH!

Six Rings
06-16-2017, 12:00 PM
We are going on 50 years since the merger and if I am not mistaken the Steelers have been blessed to have more Lombardi's and wins than any other team.

So while they are without question the greatest team in the last 50 years, I am curious what team you consider for the 2nd best by whatever standard YOU choose.

Superbowl wins

Regular season wins

Great coaches, players and rivalries.

etc.

For me #2 is the Cowboys. :couch:

A very good and not so easy question to answer! The Steelers are the best team since the AFL-NFL merger winning the most super bowls.

2nd best could be Dallas, San Fransisco, or New England.

I'd lean toward New England being the second best, though cheating taints their legacy somewhat.

steelreserve
06-16-2017, 12:47 PM
I guess going back to the original question ... you've basically got three eras of football in the last 50 years.

The "original" era, where men were men and everyone just went out and played the game and the best team won, but it was actually modern football, not semi-pro rugby.

Then the "evolved" era of the 80s and 90s where teams started looking at every angle that could give them an edge - contract stuff, new schemes, specialization (this is the first time you started seeing 300-pound linemen, etc.) ... I firmly believe this is where you would find the best teams of all-time; the top several teams of that era would probably beat the best from any other era hands-down.

Then the salary-cap era, where your skill at navigating the surrounding rules dictate much more about your team's capabilities than simply finding talented players. Definitely a lower skill-cap and higher skill-floor era. So you have:

Steelers:
- Dominant in original era
- Competitive in evolved era
- Great in salary-cap era

Cowboys:
- Great, maybe dominant in original era
- Dominant in evolved era
- Destroyed by salary cap

49ers:
- Sucked in original era

Packers:
- Great in original era
- Sucked in evolved era
- Revived by salary cap

Raiders:
- Great in original era

Giants:
- Mediocre in original era
- Great in evolved era, almost dominant
- Competitive, almost great in salary cap era

Patriots:
- Sucked in original era
- Sucked in evolved era
- Created by the salary cap

So I guess I'd have to revise my list to have the Cowboys #2, and then pick whoever you want from 3-6. Over 50 years, the 49ers definitely had less success than almost all of those teams, really just one lengthy run. But they clearly had a better run than the Patriots and were the superior football team head-to-head. So if we're including teams with one big run of glory and 30 years of sucking, New England would be #7 at best.

I guess you could throw a couple other teams up there in the mix, like Denver (I was surprised how few losing seasons they've had) or Washington, but they are not really who I think of when I think about "best in the past 50 years."

Born2Steel
06-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Looking at the SB era as a whole, there's only a 5-6 year period in the 80s when anyone can say the Steelers were bad. Some down seasons but not bad teams. Every other team has had some very bad teams over extended periods.
Steelers are #1. The rest can fight and argue over who's 2nd. I don't really care.

polamalubeast
06-16-2017, 03:27 PM
The Patriots was so bad in the late 1980s and early 1990s that their stadium was empty....

steelreserve
06-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Looking at the SB era as a whole, there's only a 5-6 year period in the 80s when anyone can say the Steelers were bad. Some down seasons but not bad teams. Every other team has had some very bad teams over extended periods.
Steelers are #1. The rest can fight and argue over who's 2nd. I don't really care.

That's almost 100% correct, although looking through some overall team records, I was surprised to see that the Broncos have only had a handful of non-competitive seasons since the merger, and no back-to-back losing seasons since 1972.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Obviously they haven't had as much success at their peak as the top teams did - but as far as long-term stability it's a pretty remarkable record. In general though, you're exactly right; even the teams that have dominated the league at times have flat-out sucked for long stretches.

polamalubeast
06-16-2017, 03:49 PM
That's almost 100% correct, although looking through some overall team records, I was surprised to see that the Broncos have only had a handful of non-competitive seasons since the merger, and no back-to-back losing seasons since 1972.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/

Obviously they haven't had as much success at their peak as the top teams did - but as far as long-term stability it's a pretty remarkable record. In general though, you're exactly right; even the teams that have dominated the league at times have flat-out sucked for long stretches.

The Broncos are very underrated....Since the Broncos have Pat Bowlen as owner, the Broncos have more super bowl appearance than losing season.

Bowlen would have deserved to be in the HOF before Jerry Jones.

st33lersguy
06-16-2017, 04:16 PM
The Patriots was so bad in the late 1980s and early 1990s that their stadium was empty....

I actually heard in the early 90s they considered moving the team to St. Louis, there was so little interest in the team

st33lersguy
06-16-2017, 04:28 PM
I guess going back to the original question ... you've basically got three eras of football in the last 50 years.

The "original" era, where men were men and everyone just went out and played the game and the best team won, but it was actually modern football, not semi-pro rugby.

Then the "evolved" era of the 80s and 90s where teams started looking at every angle that could give them an edge - contract stuff, new schemes, specialization (this is the first time you started seeing 300-pound linemen, etc.) ... I firmly believe this is where you would find the best teams of all-time; the top several teams of that era would probably beat the best from any other era hands-down.

Then the salary-cap era, where your skill at navigating the surrounding rules dictate much more about your team's capabilities than simply finding talented players. Definitely a lower skill-cap and higher skill-floor era. So you have:

Steelers:
- Dominant in original era
- Great in salary-cap era

Cowboys:
- Great, maybe dominant in original era

49ers:
- Sucked in original era

Packers:
- Great in original era
- Sucked in evolved era
- Revived by salary cap

Raiders:
- Great in original era

Giants:
- Mediocre in original era
- Great in evolved era, almost dominant
- Competitive, almost great in salary cap era

Patriots:
- Sucked in original era
- Sucked in evolved era
- Created by the salary cap

So I guess I'd have to revise my list to have the Cowboys #2, and then pick whoever you want from 3-6. Over 50 years, the 49ers definitely had less success than almost all of those teams, really just one lengthy run. But they clearly had a better run than the Patriots and were the superior football team head-to-head. So if we're including teams with one big run of glory and 30 years of sucking, New England would be #7 at best.

I guess you could throw a couple other teams up there in the mix, like Denver (I was surprised how few losing seasons they've had) or Washington, but they are not really who I think of when I think about "best in the past 50 years."

I would place Oakland behind New England actually. The Raiders were dominant from 67-85, but they haven't had a lot of success since. Since 1986, they have only been to the postseason 7 times. They have made only 1 Super Bowl appearance and lost, and they haven't even won a road playoff game since 1980.

I also think San Fran is getting a bad rap. They had some success outside of the 80s. The 90s they were as good as any team to win 1 Super Bowl in a decade, averaging 12 wins from 90-98, 5 NFC Championship appearances and 1 Super Bowl win, that was a great team. Outside of those decades, they're running thin on success, but 70-72 with John Brodie they won the NFC West 3 straight years losing the NFC Championship game to the great Dallas teams of the 70s in 70 and 71. Then there was that recent run in the early part of this decade with 3 straight NFC Championship appearances and a Super Bowl appearance. It's a shame that Jim Harbaugh and the moronic Trent Baalke were assholes that couldn't get along

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 06:52 PM
The Patriots’ Place in History

Is the New England dynasty of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady the best in football history? Evaluating how these Patriots stack up against other teams in the running for the title of greatest ever

It will take a while, and some reflection, to put these New England Patriots into historical perspective. The NFL has been around for 97 years, through several eras and leagues, and so there’s no definitive statement to make about where the Patriots rank with the greatest teams of all time—except to say that they’re absolutely in the discussion.

The MMQB looked at the best teams in league history over at least a 12-year period, and here were the interesting findings about where the Patriots of 2001 to 2016 rank with them:
• New England’s regular-season winning percentage of .766 over these 16 seasons is the best of any team in league history in a span of at least 12 years.
• New England has won 14 division titles in those 16 seasons, the highest rate of division/conference titles won by a franchise over that span.
• Including playoff games, no team over a long term has averaged as many wins as New England, 13.8, in a season. That, of course, is helped by the fact that playoffs have expanded. But it’s still an impressive number. The Patriots’ 13.8 wins is a full win better, on average, than San Francisco’s 12.7 wins from 1981 to 1998.
• What makes the long-term greatness of the Patriots unique in league history is that the same coach, Bill Belichick, and quarterback, Tom Brady, have led the team in every season of their 16-year run … and there’s no sign either is going to step away soon. No other coach-quarterback pair has been together for such a length of great play, and that longevity is particularly impressive considering the rate of coaching changes today.

Every year we think the Patriots must be close to the end. Belichick turns 65 in April; he’s said nothing about his future plans, but no one thinks his departure from football
will come soon. Watch him on the sideline. Do you ever see stress? You don’t. Maybe there is inside, but the game doesn’t seem to eat him up the way it has others. Bill Walsh retired at 57 after having been talked out of quitting a couple of times in the years before that, and he never returned to the sidelines. Belichick has coached in the NFL for 42 seasons. It’s just hard to see him, at least soon, do anything else.

Tom Brady turns 40 in August, which means his last football game in his 30s was quite possibly the best in his life—the 34-28 overtime win in Super Bowl LI against Atlanta, rebounding from a 25-point second-half deficit. He has always said (and repeated recently) that he intends to play football into his 40s. Why quit? At 39, Brady had his second-highest passer rating ever, and his touchdown-to-interception differential this season, 35-to-5, was better than Joe Montana had at any age.

That’s the amazing part of this great run. Never do you hear either of these cornerstones talk about being weary of the game, or longing to do something else. Which means the challenge by the Patriots to the legacies of the other great long-term teams of all time will continue.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/09/best-nfl-dynasty-ever-new-england-patriots-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers

Hawkman
06-16-2017, 07:07 PM
The Patriots’ Place in History

Is the New England dynasty of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady the best in football history? Evaluating how these Patriots stack up against other teams in the running for the title of greatest ever

It will take a while, and some reflection, to put these New England Patriots into historical perspective. The NFL has been around for 97 years, through several eras and leagues, and so there’s no definitive statement to make about where the Patriots rank with the greatest teams of all time—except to say that they’re absolutely in the discussion.

The MMQB looked at the best teams in league history over at least a 12-year period, and here were the interesting findings about where the Patriots of 2001 to 2016 rank with them:
• New England’s regular-season winning percentage of .766 over these 16 seasons is the best of any team in league history in a span of at least 12 years.
• New England has won 14 division titles in those 16 seasons, the highest rate of division/conference titles won by a franchise over that span.
• Including playoff games, no team over a long term has averaged as many wins as New England, 13.8, in a season. That, of course, is helped by the fact that playoffs have expanded. But it’s still an impressive number. The Patriots’ 13.8 wins is a full win better, on average, than San Francisco’s 12.7 wins from 1981 to 1998.
• What makes the long-term greatness of the Patriots unique in league history is that the same coach, Bill Belichick, and quarterback, Tom Brady, have led the team in every season of their 16-year run … and there’s no sign either is going to step away soon. No other coach-quarterback pair has been together for such a length of great play, and that longevity is particularly impressive considering the rate of coaching changes today.

Every year we think the Patriots must be close to the end. Belichick turns 65 in April; he’s said nothing about his future plans, but no one thinks his departure from football
will come soon. Watch him on the sideline. Do you ever see stress? You don’t. Maybe there is inside, but the game doesn’t seem to eat him up the way it has others. Bill Walsh retired at 57 after having been talked out of quitting a couple of times in the years before that, and he never returned to the sidelines. Belichick has coached in the NFL for 42 seasons. It’s just hard to see him, at least soon, do anything else.

Tom Brady turns 40 in August, which means his last football game in his 30s was quite possibly the best in his life—the 34-28 overtime win in Super Bowl LI against Atlanta, rebounding from a 25-point second-half deficit. He has always said (and repeated recently) that he intends to play football into his 40s. Why quit? At 39, Brady had his second-highest passer rating ever, and his touchdown-to-interception differential this season, 35-to-5, was better than Joe Montana had at any age.

That’s the amazing part of this great run. Never do you hear either of these cornerstones talk about being weary of the game, or longing to do something else. Which means the challenge by the Patriots to the legacies of the other great long-term teams of all time will continue.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/09/best-nfl-dynasty-ever-new-england-patriots-cleveland-browns-san-francisco-49ers

Repeat to me the name of this thread!!! I swore I wasn't going to get dragged into this person's idiocy, but he got smoked by BengalGirl and had to stick with AFC north comrades.

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Team
Period
Win Pct.

New England
2001-16

Chicago
1932-50

San Francisco
1981-98

Cleveland
1946-69

Green Bay
1929-44

Oakland
1967-85

Dallas
1966-85

Pittsburgh
1972-84

Green Bay
1960-72

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 07:15 PM
BTW, when talking the best team in the history of the NFL, Pittsburgh isn't even in the discussion.

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 07:30 PM
The Patriots Are The NFL’s Greatest Dynasty

BEST DYNASTY
SECOND-BEST
THIRD-BEST

# OF YEARS
TEAM
AVG. ELO
TEAM
AVG. ELO
TEAM
AVG. ELO

Patriots2007
Patriots2004
Bears1985

Cowboys1992-93
Patriots2003-04
Dolphins1972-73

Cowboys1992-94
Dolphins1972-74
Steelers1974-76

Cowboys1992-95
Patriots2004-07
49ers1989-92

Patriots2003-07
Steelers1975-79
49ers1988-92

Patriots2003-08
49ers1989-94
Steelers1974-79

49ers1988-94
Patriots2003-09
Patriots2010-16

49ers1987-94
Patriots2003-10
Steelers1972-79

Patriots2003-11
49ers1987-95
Steelers1972-80

Patriots2003-12
49ers1987-96
Steelers1972-81

49ers1984-94
Patriots2003-13
Cowboys1971-81

Patriots2003-14
49ers1984-95
Cowboys1970-81

Patriots2004-16
49ers1984-96
Cowboys1970-82

Patriots2003-16
49ers1984-97
Cowboys1970-83

Patriots2002-16
49ers1984-98
Cowboys1970-84

Patriots2001-16
49ers1983-98
Cowboys1970-85

49ers1981-97
Patriots2000-16
Cowboys1970-86

49ers1981-98
Patriots1999-2016
Cowboys1970-87

49ers1980-98
Patriots1998-2016
Packers1994-2012

Patriots1997-2016
49ers1981-2000
Packers1995-2014

Patriots1996-2016
49ers1981-2001
Packers1995-2015

Patriots1995-2016
49ers1981-2002
Packers1995-2016

Patriots1994-2016
49ers1981-2003
Packers1994-2016

Patriots1993-2016
49ers1980-2003
Packers1993-2016

Patriots1992-2016
49ers1980-2004
Cowboys1971-95

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-patriots-are-the-nfls-greatest-dynasty/

teegre
06-16-2017, 07:34 PM
BTW, when talking the best team in the history of the NFL, Pittsburgh isn't even in the discussion.

That would be either the NYGiants or Packers.

But, that's a different discussion.

GBMelBlount
06-16-2017, 07:36 PM
This is a helluva a top 5 teams in the last 50 years.

I am wondering if we have jumped into number 1 in the last year?

We are only 3 points behind the Cowboys.

I am sure if you use different criteria (besides ignoring 35 of the last 50 years) that you might have slightly different results.

5. Green Bay Packers (124 points)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/th...uper-bowl-era/

teegre
06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
The Patriots Are The NFL’s Greatest Dynasty

Yes, I'd agree/I've also mentioned: the past 16 years are phenomenal...

...but, again, that's a different discussion.

teegre
06-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Too much to reply to. Some thoughts...

1) Somehow this thread got tangented into who had the better dynasty (70s Steelers, 80s Niners, current Tapes). That's a whole different discussion.

2. I think some of us are slighting the accomplishments of the Taperiots over the past 16 years. It doesn't mean they're the "best" for the past 50 years, but what they've done over the past two decades shouldn't be ignored.

3) Some reeeally good points were made. It had me re-look at a lot of factors... and simply, we need to establish the criteria for "best ever (and/or "second best ever").
--SuperBowl victories
--SuperBowl appearances
--playoff wins
--playoff games played
--playoff winning percentage
--division titles
--playoff berths
--winning seasons
--overall winning percentage

SUPERBOWL VICTORIES:
6 Steelers
5 Cowboys, Niners, Taperiots

SUPERBOWL APPEARANCES:
9 Taperiots
8 Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos

PLAYOFF WINS:
33 Steelers, Cowboys
30 Niners
25 Raidahs
24 Taperiots
23 Packers

PLAYOFF GAMES PLAYED:
58 Cowboys
53 Steelers
49 Niners

PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE :
.652 Ravens
.645 NYGiants
.612 Niners
.609 Taperiots
.607 Steelers

I got tired of looking up stats (for division titles, playoff berths, winning seasons, overall winning percentage)...

BostonBlackie
06-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Too much to reply to. Some thoughts...

1) Somehow this thread got tangented into who had the better dynasty (70s Steelers, 80s Niners, current Tapes). That's a whole different discussion.

2. I think some of us are slighting the accomplishments of the Taperiots over the past 16 years. It doesn't mean they're the "best" for the past 50 years, but what they've done over the past two decades shouldn't be ignored.

3) Some reeeally good points were made. It had me re-look at a lot of factors... and simply, we need to establish the criteria for "best ever (and/or "second best ever").
--SuperBowl victories
--SuperBowl appearances
--playoff wins
--playoff games played
--playoff winning percentage
--division titles
--playoff berths
--winning seasons
--overall winning percentage

SUPERBOWL VICTORIES:
6 Steelers
5 Cowboys, Niners, Taperiots

SUPERBOWL APPEARANCES:
9 Taperiots
8 Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos

PLAYOFF WINS:
33 Steelers, Cowboys
30 Niners
25 Raidahs
24 Taperiots
23 Packers

PLAYOFF GAMES PLAYED:
58 Cowboys
53 Steelers
49 Niners

PLAYOFF WINNING PERCENTAGE :
.652 Ravens
.645 NYGiants
.612 Niners
.609 Taperiots
.607 Steelers

I got tired of looking up stats (for division titles, playoff berths, winning seasons, overall winning percentage)...

good post

- - - Updated - - -

That would be either the NYGiants or Packers.

But, that's a different discussion.

Yes, probably is. I'm just making sure the Patriots get a fair shake here.

pczach
06-17-2017, 07:17 AM

There is nothing greater to behold than a fan of the Patriots acting like the NFL has only existed for 16 years.

Let's recap for the troll:

The most racist sports city in the USA by a mile....Check

A 16 year run that has been tainted by cheating that has been proven, and is THE most consistent thing about the team.....Check

Playing in an historically bad division with the gold standard of ineptitude to boost their winning percentage and "greatness"......Check

A fan base that has no historical perspective and is filled with more bandwagon jumpers than all other franchises combined over the last 16 years.....Check

Most of these bandwagon jumpers and great NFL minds need to have it explained to them who Steve Grogan was..........Check (You can start Googling now)

Without a doubt the biggest douchebag fans in sports..........Check

The franchise most likely to lose half of their fans once they stop winning and never be heard from again.........Check

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

fansince'76
06-17-2017, 08:11 AM
There is nothing greater to behold than a fan of the Patriots acting like the NFL has only existed for 16 years.

A 16 year run that has been tainted by cheating that has been proven, and is THE most consistent thing about the team.....Check

Playing in an historically bad division with the gold standard of ineptitude to boost their winning percentage and "greatness"......Check

A fan base that has no historical perspective and is filled with more bandwagon jumpers than all other franchises combined over the last 16 years.....Check

Most of these bandwagon jumpers and great NFL minds need to have it explained to them who Steve Grogan was..........Check (You can start Googling now)

The franchise most likely to lose half of their fans once they stop winning and never be heard from again.........Check

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/aa/48/6eaa48673dc9e862e8246717e60d201a.jpg

Hawkman
06-17-2017, 09:04 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6e/aa/48/6eaa48673dc9e862e8246717e60d201a.jpg

:rofl2:

st33lersguy
06-17-2017, 09:38 AM
This moron and all the other Brady/Bellicheat groupies are pounding their collective fists now about how great this franchise is, but everyone knows that once Bellichick and Brady retire and this team falls back into mediocrity, if Dallas becomes and remains a perennial Super Bowl contender by then, they'll hop on/return to (depending on age) the Cowboys bandwagon. If not, they will just claim whatever team happens to be the current defending Super Bowl champions and that stadium will be empty just like it was before Brady and Bellicheat arrived

tube517
06-17-2017, 10:49 AM

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NnGGHE0muVqpO/giphy.gif

Mojouw
06-17-2017, 11:54 AM
To our resident Pats fan, are you being willfully ignorant? Several of the dynasties you posted occur outside of the period up for debate (1966-2016 or there about) and it isn't a matter of having the best run for a portion of that period but over the entire period.

16 years of awesome doesn't totally counteract 34 years of truly awful. The Pats spent much of their franchise history being Browns and Jags level of inept. Until this recent run we are talking about Grogan and Andre Tippett being the best the Pats had to offer.

The last decade and a half puts the Pats in the conversation. But ultimately I think they lose out to one or more of the Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders, Packers, Giants, or Broncos.

If the Pats have a strong run of post Brady success, they may overtake everyone else.

steelreserve
06-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Again, guys, don't feed the troll. It's obvious to anyone where the Patriots' real place is, but like their typical dickhead fan, he just wants to stir up shit. More proof that the team might stop losing, but you can't take the loser out of the fan base. This is nothing special to see.

BostonBlackie
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Until this recent run we are talking about Grogan and Andre Tippett being the best the Pats had to offer.

Not really. More like John Hannah, and Mike Haynes.

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/john_hannah_1986_01_12.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Mojouw
06-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Not really. More like John Hannah, and Mike Haynes.

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/john_hannah_1986_01_12.jpg

Prior to 1994, the Pats had about 12 winning seasons in 34 years. That is not good. So the point still holds.

Born2Steel
06-17-2017, 10:32 PM
Wasn't Mike Haynes a Raider?

fansince'76
06-17-2017, 11:23 PM

Yeah, for the 2nd half of his career. He was with New England for the first half of it.

Shoes
06-18-2017, 12:45 AM

Go away.

What a fucking loser.

This is so spot on, I thought I'd repost it! :chuckle:

BostonBlackie
06-18-2017, 05:41 AM
Ha ha, no matter what you say, or your team does, one thing is guaranteed, the Patriots will kick your a$$.

BostonBlackie
06-18-2017, 05:47 AM
The mighty Steelers:

1953 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_NFL_season)
1953 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

4th

1954 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_NFL_season)
1954 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

4th

1955 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_NFL_season)
1955 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

6th

1956 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_NFL_season)
1956 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

4th[T] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_seasons#endnote_TT)

1957 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_NFL_season)
1957 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

3rd

1958 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NFL_season)
1958 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

3rd

1959 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_NFL_season)
1959 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1959_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

4th

1960 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_NFL_season)
1960 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

5th

1961 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_NFL_season)
1961 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1961_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

5th

1962 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_NFL_season)
1962 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

2nd
Lost Playoff Bowl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl) (Lions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Detroit_Lions_season)) 17–10 exhibition gm[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_seasons#endnote_22)

1963 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_NFL_season)
1963 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

4th

1964 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_NFL_season)
1964 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

6th

1965 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_NFL_season)
1965 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

7th

1966 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_NFL_season)
1966 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern

6th

1967 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_NFL_season)
1967 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

1968 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_NFL_season)
1968 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

1969 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_NFL_season)
1969 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

Joe Greene (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_(American_football)) – Defensive Rookie of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award)

1970 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_NFL_season)
1970 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
AFC
Central
3rd

1971 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_NFL_season)
1971 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Pittsburgh_Steelers_season)
NFL
AFC

polamalubeast
06-18-2017, 08:46 AM
The mighty Steelers:

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

6th

NFL
Eastern

4th[T] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_seasons#endnote_TT)

NFL
Eastern

3rd

NFL
Eastern

3rd

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

5th

NFL
Eastern

5th

NFL
Eastern

2nd
Lost Playoff Bowl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playoff_Bowl) (Lions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962_Detroit_Lions_season)) 17–10 exhibition gm[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_seasons#endnote_22)

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

6th

NFL
Eastern

7th

NFL
Eastern

6th

NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

Joe Greene (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_(American_football)) – Defensive Rookie of the Year (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Rookie_of_the_Year_Award)

NFL
AFC
Central
3rd

NFL
AFC

Of course if we count the pre super bowl era, the packers are the best franchise in history.

Hawkman
06-18-2017, 09:31 AM
The mighty Steelers:

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

6th

NFL
Eastern

NFL
Eastern

3rd

NFL
Eastern

3rd

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

5th

NFL
Eastern

5th

NFL
Eastern

2nd

NFL
Eastern

4th

NFL
Eastern

6th

NFL
Eastern

7th

NFL
Eastern

6th

NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

NFL
Eastern
Century
4th

NFL
AFC
Central
3rd

NFL
AFC

Still not getting the title of this thread yet are you? Let's see, 2016-50=1966. Not really sure 1953-1965 is really relevant to THIS THREAD. What's the matter, no one
wants to play with you on Patriots message boards?

BostonBlackie
06-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Still not getting the title of this thread yet are you? Let's see, 2016-50=1966. Not really sure 1953-1965 is really relevant to THIS THREAD. What's the matter, no one
wants to play with you on Patriots message boards?

What it points out is that before their run the Steelers were a very poor football team, for a very long time. Sound familiar? Further, they had a very small fan base. In fact, no one wanted to play for the Steelers back then because of those two things, including Joe Green. But you made some very good moves, and very quickly you became the standard by which all other franchises were measured. Again, sound familiar?

FrancoLambert
06-18-2017, 01:13 PM
What it points out is that before their run the Steelers were a very poor football team, for a very long time. Sound familiar? Further, they had a very small fan base. In fact, no one wanted to play for the Steelers back then because of those two things, including Joe Green. But you made some very good moves, and very quickly you became the standard by which all other franchises were measured. Again, sound familiar?

.........things must be very slow in the Bastan area. Why else would someone spend so much time trolling another fan base. :ball:

Born2Steel
06-18-2017, 01:32 PM

A simple 'yes', that you don't understand is good enough.

silver & black
06-18-2017, 02:15 PM

He most certainly was. Red right 88!

Steel Peon
06-18-2017, 04:31 PM
The Denver Broncos have had consistent success in most every decade that I can think of, even when not winning Lombardis, so my vote goes with them. I mean, what other team could've done anything constructive with Tebow?

Steel Peon
06-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Ha ha, no matter what you say, or your team does, one thing is guaranteed, the Patriots will kick your a$$.

If the bribery money is right and the circumstances demand it, then the league will turn a blind eye to cheating, and any team would be willing to hand them a trophy. Otherwise, they're hopeless. Here's your *, wear it with pride.

86WARD
06-18-2017, 06:35 PM
This is still going on? lol.

st33lersguy
06-18-2017, 06:41 PM
Just one of those threads that never die, lol

tube517
06-18-2017, 09:00 PM

He was on the Patriots before going to the Raiders and he was good with both teams.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
06-19-2017, 01:14 AM
This post is crazy and who cares about 50 years what team is the best ? Point being Pitt has 6 Superbowl's and yes others are knocking on the door to catch them. Very cool that few teams have a great season year after year and make there fans happy. Steelers still have 6 and set the level for others to try to tie and want to beat! Argue what you want. The one with the most Championships is still King!