PDA

View Full Version : Is This The Best Steelers’ Offensive Line Ever?

polamalubeast
06-12-2017, 09:42 AM

FrancoLambert
06-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Maybe.

However, a championship season might be necessary to support such a claim.

The 70's teams had some pretty good O-linemen and a few championships to support their case for that title.

Six Rings
06-12-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure about the best ever, but we have our best OL coach ever.

tube517
06-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Too early. They have only had a season and part of another to judge them.

They are on their way and yes, Munchak, is our best OL coach ever.

BlackAndGold
06-12-2017, 11:25 AM
I know it's one of the best in the NFL today for sure, the depth is great also with Finney, Hubbard, and hopefully Hawkins.

Top 2 center in Pouncey, top 3 guard in DD, best right tackle with Gilbert, and if it matters, PFF rated Foster as one of the top left guards in football.

st33lersguy
06-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Too early, they are on their way though, this O-line is stacked and is one of the most talented in the league

ALLD
06-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Mike Webster > > > Pouncey. I have seen them both play and Webster is the black and gold standard.

Edman
06-12-2017, 12:55 PM
These Steelers in my eyes don't deserve to be called the best of anything until they actually prove they are the best. So far to date the only things they have to show for their talent is one uncompetitive loss to New England in the title game.

This teams' talent cannot be denied for sure, but they have to prove it. They need a championship season.

Hawkman
06-12-2017, 01:32 PM
These Steelers in my eyes don't deserve to be called the best of anything until they actually prove they are the best. So far to date the only things they have to show for their talent is one uncompetitive loss to New England in the title game.

This teams' talent cannot be denied for sure, but they have to prove it. They need a championship season.

I guess with that logic, Rod Woodson wasn't much of anything for us.

Born2Steel
06-12-2017, 02:16 PM
Will be.

polamalubeast
06-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Our o-line was not the problem against the Pats.Our WR and our defense was the problem.

DesertSteel
06-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Edman actually kept things at a unit/team level and not individual. His logic is 100% correct when it comes to units/teams. Individuals can be great without a championship but not units/teams.

Hawkman
06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Edman actually kept things at a unit/team level and not individual. His logic is 100% correct when it comes to units/teams. Individuals can be great without a championship but not units/teams.

Glad you have his back. Thanks for the clarification.

DesertSteel
06-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Glad you have his back. Thanks for the clarification.
Both of your posts make sense - just different criteria :)

fansince'76
06-12-2017, 08:52 PM
It's so nice to see threads like this considering what a train wreck the OL was not so long ago. We probably would've won SB XLV with a better OL.

teegre
06-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Mike Webster > > > Pouncey. I have seen them both play and Webster is the black and gold standard.

I was about to say that the O-line of the 70's is often overlooked (ignored), because so much attention is given to the defense and the skill players. But, they were freakin' outstanding... specifically Webster.

Oh... and I would throw the line from the mid-90s into the ring, as well, because Dawson is the most talented O-lineman I've ever seen. (Webster was more powerful, but Dirt could pull like a guard.)

1. Webster
1-a. Dawson
a huge gap
5. Pouncey, Hartings, Mansfield
6. Velasco
7. Hartwig
8. Corky from Life Goes On
9. a chair
10. Mahan

DesertSteel
06-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Webster, Dawson, Faneca, Pouncey, Hartings.

I'm good with 3 centers!

Edman
06-13-2017, 02:04 AM

The organization thought so. Woodson was jettisoned from Pittsburgh and never came back. Not even to retire.

You can think the Steelers' players are the best, and that is fine, but I just think they don't deserve much credit or be considered the best until they prove it, or at least put up a better fight than 36-17 against the eventual World Champions.

Our o-line was not the problem against the Pats.Our WR and our defense was the problem.

Inability to punch it in from the 1 when the game was growing desperate. Had to settle for three. "Best O-Line in the league".

Yes, they were a problem.

KipperG
06-13-2017, 02:20 AM
I think this may be the best line ever. Exciting stuff!

fansince'76
06-13-2017, 03:04 AM
Inability to punch it in from the 1 when the game was growing desperate. Had to settle for three. "Best O-Line in the league".

Yes, they were a problem.

IMO, that was due more to shit playcalling by Haley than any perceived deficiency with the OL. Lining Williams up 7-8 yards behind the LOS and trying to run it up the gut twice in a row? Stupid. You'd think he'd have learned after Williams lost almost 2 yards on first down, but no, he calls essentially the exact same play and formation again and it loses 3 more yards on second down. :doh:

It's incumbent on the coaches to put the players in a position to succeed to begin with. Didn't happen there.

polamalubeast
06-13-2017, 06:17 AM
You can't be the best as a team if you don't the win super bowl but as a unit or as a player, you can be one of the best even without super bowl.

I mean, the chargers in the early 1980s had one of the best offense of all time even though they did not win a super bowl.

Steeldude
06-13-2017, 06:38 AM
How about one of the best coached? Thanks to Munchak.

SteelerFanInStl
06-13-2017, 07:31 AM
IMO, that was due more to shit playcalling by Haley than any perceived deficiency with the OL. Lining Williams up 7-8 yards behind the LOS and trying to run it up the gut twice in a row? Stupid. You'd think he'd have learned after Williams lost almost 2 yards on first down, but no, he calls essentially the exact same play and formation again and it loses 3 more yards on second down. :doh:

It's incumbent on the coaches to put the players in a position to succeed to begin with. Didn't happen there.

Exactly. Don't blame our red zone futility on the OL. It's been a weakness with Haley from the start and something that he damn well better start figuring out.

st33lersguy
06-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Not the O-line's fault the defense couldn't cover a dead corpse in the AFC championship game last year. Your O-line can only do so much.

Hawkman
06-13-2017, 05:05 PM
It's so nice to see threads like this considering what a train wreck the OL was not so long ago. We probably would've won SB XLV with a better OL.

No kidding. How many threads, started with, "our O-line sucks", just a few years ago.....on every Steelers board I tuned into.

SteelerFanInStl
06-13-2017, 05:44 PM

I hope that they give Munchak a lifetime contract.

polamalubeast
06-13-2017, 06:34 PM
No kidding. How many threads, started with, "our O-line sucks", just a few years ago.....on every Steelers board I tuned into.

And when the steelers won the super bowl in 2008, many said it was the worst offensive line ever to win the super bowl!!!!

polamalubeast
06-15-2017, 09:09 AM

tube517
06-15-2017, 09:12 AM
SB XLIII O-line:

LT Max Starks
LG Chris Kemoeatu
C Justin Hartwig
RG Darnell Stapleton
RT Willie Colon

polamalubeast
06-15-2017, 09:13 AM
SB XLIII O-line:

LT Max Starks
LG Chris Kemoeatu
C Justin Hartwig
RG Darnell Stapleton
RT Willie Colon

Worst o-line ever to win a super bowl!!!!

Hawkman
06-15-2017, 09:17 AM

Colon and Starks were decent.

polamalubeast
06-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Starks maybe, but Colon had too many penalties and false start.

But the interior offensive line was just awful.

Stapleton has never played another down in the nfl after the super bowl 43 and he was still young!

Hawkman
06-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Starks maybe, but Colon had too many penalties and false start.

But the interior offensive line was just awful.

Stapleton has never played another down in the nfl after the super bowl 43 and he was still young!

I always thought Colon was a pretty solid player. Kemoeatu on the other hand......liked his meanness but penalties at the worst times were his biggest problems. Not much on brains.

86WARD
06-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Kemo's anger was so good...if he half the talent he would've been all world!

GBMelBlount
06-15-2017, 03:49 PM
I always thought Colon was a pretty solid player.

Kemoeatu on the other hand......liked his meanness but penalties at the worst times were his biggest problems. Not much on brains.

All I saw out of Colon was a solid #2.

teegre
06-16-2017, 07:36 PM
All I saw out of Colon was a solid #2.

This deserves a bump. :applaudit:

Edman
07-04-2017, 08:18 AM

I'd rather have a "Worst O-Line ever to win a Super Bowl" rather than the "Best to never win one".

Its weird how our "shit" O-Line can advance to three Super Bowls, but our "Great O-Line" cannot.