PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Ranks Landry Jones 14th Overall On List Of 16 Backup QBs

polamalubeast
06-09-2017, 03:56 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/espn-ranks-landry-jones-14th-overall-list-16-backup-qbs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

st33lersguy
06-09-2017, 04:38 PM
I think that's a generous ranking

GBMelBlount
06-09-2017, 05:51 PM
5th in qb rating and 6th in completion percentage.

He is adequate for a backup QB and the price is right.

ALLD
06-09-2017, 06:49 PM
He's definitely better than Steve McNair.

fansince'76
06-09-2017, 11:11 PM
Sounds about right, IMO. A bottom-3 backup QB in a league where 2/3 of the starters are either mediocre or just downright suck is pretty damn bad...

DesertSteel
06-10-2017, 08:32 AM
There's 32 teams so why only 16 ranked?

Born2Steel
06-10-2017, 08:42 AM
For the completion percentage ranking he's tied with Colt McCoy and .1 behind Nick Foles. Both of those guys are shiny moments of mostly suck as well.

polamalubeast
06-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Jones is far to be great,but for a backup,he is not bad.

DesertSteel
06-11-2017, 08:19 AM
He's as good as some our 80s starting quarterbacks.

Six Rings
06-11-2017, 08:40 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/espn-ranks-landry-jones-14th-overall-list-16-backup-qbs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

About right. The Steelers continue to ignore the back up QB position, and no Dobbs is not the answer, and even if he might be, it will take 2-3 years before he's ready.

Our window to play in another super bowl is now. If Ben misses a few games, if could mean the playoffs for us. But if we had a decent back up, the team would at least be able to win say another game if Ben is out for 4-5 weeks.

polamalubeast
06-11-2017, 09:01 AM
About right. The Steelers continue to ignore the back up QB position, and no Dobbs is not the answer, and even if he might be, it will take 2-3 years before he's ready.

Our window to play in another super bowl is now. If Ben misses a few games, if could mean the playoffs for us. But if we had a decent back up, the team would at least be able to win say another game if Ben is out for 4-5 weeks.

The steelers have never been bad with their QB backup.11-9 with our backup under Tomlin and the times that Roethlisberger missed 4 games (2010 and 2015), the steelers were 3-1 and 2-2...Of course, the steelers were lucky in some wins, but a win is a win.

The steelers not ignore the QB position as it was the case with the Colts when they had Peyton Manning.

Mojouw
06-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Ok. What's the answer then? Gradkowski was brought in to continue the veteran backup tradition that Batch and Lefty had started. Then his body broke down, this pressed Jones into service. Fans and the team felt that was not ideal. Vick was given a shot. He stunk. Back to Jones. Team brings in Mettenberger. He must've not shown much and he is gone. So they draft a guy in Dobbs. That also isn't the solution, at least to you.

What is your answer then? You can see who is on waivers just like the teams can. But to say they have ignored the position is false. They have spent 2 draft picks on it and brought in at least 3 notable free agents. Having things not work out is not the same as ignoring a problem.

86WARD
06-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Vick and Mettenberger, I wouldn't say they were honest attempts at getting a veteran back up. This season for instance: Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub are all veterans that would be an upgrade over Jones at the back up spot...even Mark Sanchez. Vick and Mettenberger aren't in that category...Mettenberger closer than Vick.

Mojouw
06-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Vick and Mettenberger, I wouldn't say they were honest attempts at getting a veteran back up. This season for instance: Brian Hoyer, Nick Foles, Matt Schaub are all veterans that would be an upgrade over Jones at the back up spot...even Mark Sanchez. Vick and Mettenberger aren't in that category...Mettenberger closer than Vick.

Sanchez and Schyab are not an upgrade over anyone except maybe each other. Foles and Hoyer both signed for more than Steelers were going to pay. They would be better but to say because they didn't sign thise two they ignored it is still false.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
06-11-2017, 05:28 PM
I disagree both of those players are
Better than Mettenberger and Vick and the overall point is that they didn't even pursue a decent free agent. They went for Vick because their back was against the wall and needed the veteran experience and then picked up Mettenberger (which I liked as a prospect) on the cheap. So sure, they put forth an effort, but it was late and half assed. If Jones was their man all along, Vick should have never taken a snap as a starter. Hoyer (and arguably Foles) could've been had for decent coin. The had Hoyer on the roster...but opted to keep a decrepit Charlie Batch...lol.

ALLD
06-11-2017, 05:41 PM

If Ben misses 4-5 games his Super Bowl career will be basically over unless we change to one of the top 5 defenses of all time overnight. He already has a lot of hard miles and his style of play just isn't cut out for an extended career. He needs to stay upright and focused.

polamalubeast
06-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Roethlisberger has changed his style of play since he has Haley as OC.....

Mojouw
06-11-2017, 06:06 PM
I disagree both of those players are
Better than Mettenberger and Vick and the overall point is that they didn't even pursue a decent free agent. They went for Vick because their back was against the wall and needed the veteran experience and then picked up Mettenberger (which I liked as a prospect) on the cheap. So sure, they put forth an effort, but it was late and half assed. If Jones was their man all along, Vick should have never taken a snap as a starter. Hoyer (and arguably Foles) could've been had for decent coin. The had Hoyer on the roster...but opted to keep a decrepit Charlie Batch...lol.

Look, I don't really want to get into a whole huge thing, but much of that isn't totally a clear recap of things.

Both Mettenberger and Vick were brought in when injuries to Gradkowski forced their hand.

Schaub's last 6 passes have been pick 6's. I think on one of them, you could see the fork sticking out of his back on the replay. Sanchez got beat out by Foles, Prescott, Tony Romo's gumby skeleton, Trevor Seimian (who may not be any better than Landry Jones or at least not a ton better), Paxton Lynch (who can't even unseat Seiman), and he is on his way to getting beat out in Chicago by Connor Shaw, Glennon, and Trubisky.

Hoyer was signed off the street to serve as an emergency 3rd QB when Ben and Lefty got hurt at basically the same time. He backed up Batch for two weeks. Then folks got healthier and they released Hoyer. Haley then called Wisenhunt and said he should sign Hoyer. http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/10/12/Cleveland-quarterback-Brian-Hoyer-has-his-big-break-1/stories/201410120222

Since that time, Hoyer has consistently taken opportunities where there is a significant chance to engage in a meaningful competition to be the starter. That is never going to happen here, so according to reports, he has declined at least one offer to return.

Foles is an interesting name, but, at least for me, he is far more name and hype than legit QB. He can't throw deep reliably and basically the more he plays the more he flat out stinks. He looked decentish in Chip Kelly's offense while the NFL was still catching up to that gimmick. Kinda like how RG3 looked good until the NFL learned that gimmick as well. Here, don't believe me? Read the locals:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/11/10/9704910/rams-nick-foles-st-louis-quarterback-eagles-trade-sam-bradford-chip-kelly-jeff-fisher

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6/17/11962062/2016-los-angeles-rams-st-louis-nick-foles-blitz-pressure-bad-so-bad-very-bad

I could go on and on. But I honestly believe that Dobbs is a better option than any of the veteran QBs that have been talked about in the last 2 off-seasons or so. If I were in charge of things, I would not be totally against signing someone else that gets cut to take Landry's spot. However, that list in the original post is hot fetid garbage. As bad as Landry can be, I only see about 3 guys on that list I would trade for him.

teegre
06-11-2017, 10:18 PM
There are about 15 teams who don't have a legitimate starter.

And yet, people are surprised that the Steelers' backup kind of sucks???

Born2Steel
06-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Compared to Ben, Landry very much sucks. That is the standard though. According to this article, Landry also sucks in comparison to the league's backup standard as well. Numbers vs personal opinion?

Six Rings
06-12-2017, 10:46 AM
Jones is 2-2 as a starter with 7 TD's, 6 INT's. But he's pretty bad. How bad? Brown turns into just another starting receiver when he's the QB.

On an average team, with an average OL and skills players, he's meat.

st33lersguy
06-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Literally all Landry has done in 4 years in the league was have one decent half and one good drive against the worst team in the league, the Cleveland Browns last year. He's not even good by backup standards. As someone who has watched him play, to say he is a step above a garbage QB is overrating him

SteelMember
06-12-2017, 02:20 PM
There's 32 teams so why only 16 ranked?

Probably because the other half of the NFL teams are still looking for a number one QB... :chuckle: no really. :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

There are about 15 teams who don't have a legitimate starter.

And yet, people are surprised that the Steelers' backup kind of sucks???

Damn, I guess I didn't read far enough... quit stealing my material. lol

BlackAndGold
06-12-2017, 06:14 PM
I'd take Jones over a few in the 2nd tier.

I have no problem with him, he's a fine back up.

ALLD
06-12-2017, 06:28 PM
The one player Jones throws better than.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-pxMm_UdY4