PDA

View Full Version : Let Villaneuva Go?

GBMelBlount
06-04-2017, 05:18 PM
Our currently offensive line is one of the 3 most expensive* in the nfl despite Villaneuva only costing us $615,000 this season.

I also believe we have the most expensive* offense in the NFL.

As upsetting as it sounds, and despite him being one of my favorite players, how can we afford to sign Villaneuva to another long term contract when the average left guard makes 10 million?

Thoughts?

* - Pretty sure

---------------------------------------

With just over three months to the start of the regular season, the Pittsburgh Steelers are faced with a number of contractual decisions. However, for the local media, players and fans, it is the contract of one specific individual that has them concerned. Everyone wants to see Alejandro Villanueva signed to a long-term deal this offseason.

Despite all the noise coming from outside the organization, very little has been heard from the front office or Villanueva. The last time Kevin Colbert addressed the matter was in March when speaking with the media at the NFL Scouting Combine. Joe Rutter of Trib Live reported a fairly non-committal response to questions about an extension for Villanueva from Colbert:

(continued)

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/03/extending-contract-of-alejandro-villanueva-in-2017-would-be-a-mistake-for-steelers/

ALLD
06-04-2017, 05:24 PM
Would you rather go back to the days of a value priced OL with BB running for his life? He would probably go down to injury early and run out his contract.

st33lersguy
06-04-2017, 05:28 PM
He's a good player and good story and I would make an attempt to re-sign him. However, I would try and get Tuitt and Bell signed first, and if he went elsewhere, Mike Munchak has been working wonders and I am confident he could coach the next man up to a stellar job as well

GBMelBlount
06-04-2017, 05:37 PM
He's a good player and good story and I would make an attempt to re-sign him.

However, I would try and get Tuitt and Bell signed first, and if he went elsewhere,

Mike Munchak has been working wonders and I am confident he could coach the next man up to a stellar job as well

These are all my first thoughts too.

Shoes
06-04-2017, 06:33 PM
No, no way they let him go and for this reason.

The Steelers have been fortunate so far with Villanueva, who has remained healthy, but they have a long history in recent years of having their tackles go down with injuries for some stretch of the year

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/jerald-hawkins-looking-lean-cut-otas/

No OT=No Ben

86WARD
06-04-2017, 08:09 PM
Uh no.

DesertSteel
06-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Steelers have the leverage. Sign him for what they gave Gilbert. Worst case we keep him for two two years on the cheap.

Dwinsgames
06-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Our currently offensive line is one of the 3 most expensive* in the nfl despite Villaneuva only costing us $615,000 this season.

I also believe we have the most expensive* offense in the NFL.

As upsetting as it sounds, and despite him being one of my favorite players, how can we afford to sign Villaneuva to another long term contract when the average left guard makes 10 million?

Thoughts?

* - Pretty sure

---------------------------------------

With just over three months to the start of the regular season, the Pittsburgh Steelers are faced with a number of contractual decisions. However, for the local media, players and fans, it is the contract of one specific individual that has them concerned. Everyone wants to see Alejandro Villanueva signed to a long-term deal this offseason.

Despite all the noise coming from outside the organization, very little has been heard from the front office or Villanueva. The last time Kevin Colbert addressed the matter was in March when speaking with the media at the NFL Scouting Combine. Joe Rutter of Trib Live reported a fairly non-committal response to questions about an extension for Villanueva from Colbert:

(continued)

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/03/extending-contract-of-alejandro-villanueva-in-2017-would-be-a-mistake-for-steelers/

its pretty simple how we do it ..

1) we have him locked up on our terms for 2 years as it stands ... exclusive rights free agent this year and next year he will be a restricted free agent so if another team goes after him we have right of first refusal ( we can match the offer ) and if we choose not to we get a draft pick of the round we designate via the tender offer ...

2) we can give him a long term deal because of the above , he is set to make lowball wages and by the time he is done with those 2 years he will be 30 years old ( not exactly prime age to get a big $ long term deal from anyone )
so if we offer him a 5 year deal worth 30 million that is dirt cheap for us considering his position and level of play YET it is as much as he would probably make by playing for peanuts for 2 years and getting a 3 year deal later elsewhere ...

the incentive for him signing the deal proposed is job security , ability to put down roots as well as stay where he wants ( his words ) to be .... and it also allows him to live a lavish lifestyle whereas now he lives good but not incredibly good

so the question really is does he want his money now and stay here or does he want to live a less lavish life and get his money later and perhaps be in a place he would rather not be

much like the Willie Parker deal

good article on it here http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-Big-Al-learning-from-Fast-Willie/8486bc45-b232-4145-b79b-93ebeff3b1aa

Shoes
06-04-2017, 10:55 PM
its pretty simple how we do it ..

1) we have him locked up on our terms for 2 years as it stands ... exclusive rights free agent this year and next year he will be a restricted free agent so if another team goes after him we have right of first refusal ( we can match the offer ) and if we choose not to we get a draft pick of the round we designate via the tender offer ...

2) we can give him a long term deal because of the above , he is set to make lowball wages and by the time he is done with those 2 years he will be 30 years old ( not exactly prime age to get a big $ long term deal from anyone )
so if we offer him a 5 year deal worth 30 million that is dirt cheap for us considering his position and level of play YET it is as much as he would probably make by playing for peanuts for 2 years and getting a 3 year deal later elsewhere ...

the incentive for him signing the deal proposed is job security , ability to put down roots as well as stay where he wants ( his words ) to be .... and it also allows him to live a lavish lifestyle whereas now he lives good but not incredibly good

so the question really is does he want his money now and stay here or does he want to live a less lavish life and get his money later and perhaps be in a place he would rather not be

much like the Willie Parker deal

good article on it here http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-Big-Al-learning-from-Fast-Willie/8486bc45-b232-4145-b79b-93ebeff3b1aa

Indeed, when you consider the Steelers dropped about 50m on Cortez Allen & L Green for doing nothing.

Born2Steel
06-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Hawkins is next man up. It will be what it needs to be.

GBMelBlount
06-05-2017, 08:31 AM

Whatever the final numbers are, I am hopeful we don't tie up so much money in our offense that we can't keep our defense intact when the currently young and promising players on defense come up for new contracts.

BlackAndGold
06-05-2017, 11:10 AM
I hope they get a deal done. He's too good to let him just walk.

But they are really high on Hawkins.

ALLD
06-05-2017, 01:01 PM
If they offer him $30m he should take it as long as it's guaranteed. I wouldn't walk away from that.

steelreserve
06-05-2017, 02:34 PM
No reason to let him go when we can keep him for cheap. If they can't get something worked out for Gilbert money, two years for a total of $4-5M still looks pretty good for us, and we'll find a replacement if we have to.

Remember, Villanueva is himself a replacement for a 7th-round guy who was a stopgap replacement. I have faith in Munchak.

GBMelBlount
06-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Here is a nice article on Hawkins' progress.

Hawkins impressed coaches throughout the offseason and training camp last year, but a shoulder injury landed him on injured reserve before his rookie season even started. Hawkins, a fourth round draft choice in the 2016 NFL Draft who was encouraged to stay at LSU another season, is raw, but also extremely talented. If the Steelers sign Villanueva for anything more than a 3-year deal, they would also have to think about giving Hawkins a new deal after his rookie contract expires.

By all accounts this offseason, Hawkins is both getting comfortable, and impressing yet again.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2017/6/7/15742568/jerald-hawkins-may-complicate-contract-negotiations-between-alejandro-villanueva-and-the-steelers

86WARD
06-07-2017, 04:25 PM
That article doesn't really tell how Hawkins would do in a game against real NFL DEs...

polamalubeast
06-08-2017, 03:00 PM
I prefer to pay Tuitt, Bell, Shazier and even Bryant on the franchise tag in 2019 if Martavis is dominant in the next 2 years.

AtlantaDan
06-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Rather than just say nothing, media day for Villanueva to get out his position

Left tackle Alejandro Villanueva (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/16706/alejandro-villanueva) said he doesn't know what his options are if his agent and the Steelers (http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) don't work out a long-term contract.For now, Villanueva remains without a contract entering next week's mandatory minicamp. Asked whether he'll attend, Villanueva said the only certainty in life is he'll go fishing on Sunday permitting good weather.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19580502/alejandro-villanueva-hoping-new-deal-pittsburgh-steelers

“After taking orders my whole life, now I’m working with a really good agent,” the former Army Ranger captain said. “I’ll do whatever he tells me to do.”...

He would not commit to being here for next week’s mandatory minicamp or even training camp, although his willingness to practice during the voluntary portion should indicate that he will.

“Being part of the Steelers is unbelievable,” Villanueva said. “It’s awesome, it’s a great building, I love everybody here. ... But being an employee of the NFL is somewhat challenging. I don’t have a part or say in all the things that go on.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/06/08/alejandro-villanueva-contract-long-term-deal-steelers-OTAs-kevin-colbert/stories/201706080148

Villanueva also wouldn't commit to being at St. Vincent on July 27 when the Steelers report for training camp.

“I don't know,” Villanueva said. “That's not my issue to solve. That's a negotiation that's between my agent and the front office. I'm in a much better position than I was two years ago in terms of my education and things I've accomplished in my life that allow me to have some job security.” ...

“I'm obviously trying to be a Steeler,” Villanueva said, “but it's something my agent and the Steelers will have to sort out.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/12385761-74/villanueva-is-still-trying-to-be-a-steeler

WCSteeler
06-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Would you rather go back to the days of a value priced OL with BB running for his life? He would probably go down to injury early and run out his contract.

Why doesn't this site have a 'Like" button?

FrancoLambert
06-09-2017, 09:10 AM
Acquire a project player....develop him into a solid OT.....then let him go. :huh:

AtlantaDan
06-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Acquire a project player....develop him into a solid OT.....then let him go. :huh:

Steelers might figure they plugged in Villanueva when Beachum went down after Beachum would not take their contract offer so why not try that tactic again?

You start to believe your own ability to do it again if you did it before - like the Pirates figuring they were able to build a pitching staff by constantly taking pitchers off the scrap heap and coaching them up until that business model crashed in 2016

86WARD
06-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Cause that normally doesn't work for them.

FrancoLambert
06-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Steelers might figure they plugged in Villanueva when Beachum went down after Beachum would not take their contract offer so why not try that tactic again?

You start to believe your own ability to do it again if you did it before - like the Pirates figuring they were able to build a pitching staff by constantly taking pitchers off the scrap heap and coaching them up until that business model crashed in 2016

IMO it would be a mistake to let AV go. I view AV's (yet to be determined) ceiling much higher than Beachum's (already reached) ceiling. I was never a believer that Beachum was a long term answer at OT.

They got lucky.

As you said Dan, just because it worked once doesn't mean it will work again.

AV's got size, intelligence, a strong work ethic, outstanding character, and the desire to get better.

Nothing's missing besides money in his pocket.

AtlantaDan
06-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Cause that normally doesn't work for them.

Not certain if that was in response to my post about plugging in projects and coaching them up not working forever

Works out with receivers but certainly has not worked with bargain picks in the secondary

With regard to the OL, it was a dumpster fire until the Steelers began spending high draft choices on O-linemen, starting with Pouncey in the 2010 first round - Munchak is a great position coach, but it was not just a matter of coaching up projects across the board that turned that group around

My guess is they work something out with Villanueva, but if you consistently think you can make chicken salad out of chicken s**t you usually end up wasting time and end up with chicken s**t

Count Steeler
06-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Not certain if that was in response to my post about plugging in projects and coaching them up not working forever

Works out with receivers but certainly has not worked with bargain picks in the secondary

With regard to the OL, it was a dumpster fire until the Steelers began spending high draft choices on O-linemen, starting with Pouncey in the 2010 first round - Munchak is a great position coach, but it was not just a matter of coaching up projects across the board that turned that group around

My guess is they work something out with Villanueva, but if you consistently think you can make chicken salad out of chicken s**t you usually end up wasting time and end up with chicken s**t

It was a dumpster fire until Munchak took over from Bicknell and Kugler. It was amazing how the injuries went way down and the O Line performance went way up after Munchak started. The pieces were already here, Munchak was able to put them together.

steelreserve
06-09-2017, 10:38 PM
It was a dumpster fire until Munchak took over from Bicknell and Kugler. It was amazing how the injuries went way down and the O Line performance went way up after Munchak started. The pieces were already here, Munchak was able to put them together.

Exactly. What we had before Munchak was a line of all first and second-round picks that still sucked. Not only did he get that figured out, the fourth through seventh-round guys who had been washing out before without even seeing the field, now were turning into competent backups and role players, even starters.

It's not a question of, we got lucky with two good LTs in a row and now we think they grow on trees. More like, we finally got a guy in there who knows what the hell he's doing and there's a huge difference, and you don't need all blue-chip talents earning $10 million a year to make a functioning OL.

I'd rather not let Villeneuva go if we don't have to, but if we do, I don't think it's the end of the world. Regardless, we have him at least 2-3 years and there's nothing anyone can do about it unless they want to give us a first-round pick, so no use hurting ourselves.

teegre
06-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Not to take anything away from Munchak... but...

In his own words, Munchak has averred that this is the most talented group of O-linemen that he's ever had to work with. Munchak is extremely good (EXTREMELY) at developing talent and/or bringing the talent to the forefront, but there has to be talent there to begin with.

You'all can lambast AV all you want, but he does indeed have upper-echelon talent. It would be a shame to let him go... and expect "anyone" to do just as good of a job (you know... like Mike Adams).

steelreserve
06-10-2017, 10:04 AM
We shouldn't let him go, but we also don't have any reason to bid against ourselves. If it's looking like it'll come down to a crappy contract battle where it's a lose-lose for us ... Well, we've got 2-3 years to prepare for that, and while finding offensive linemen is not foolproof, it's not like finding quarterbacks either.

As far as Munchak is concerned, sure, some amount of talent has to be there, but plain as day, we had a well below-average line before, and once he came along, we have one of the best lines in the league, and it's the same guys. Seems like we've also gotten a lot better at identifying (and just as importantly, developing) decent prospects with what used to be throwaway picks or afterthought FA signings. So there's no doubt in my mind he's made it about 500% more likely that if the Villanueva situation goes sideways, we'll make something work in the end.

Mojouw
06-10-2017, 10:16 AM
If you are in charge of a team with SB aspirations, how can you have less than 3 quality offensive tackles? Even if the Steelers believe that Hawkins is an eventual amazing starter at LT - you can't just let AV walk. Because who is your 3rd tackle? Hubbard - yeah that doesn't fill me with confidence.

AV needs to be resigned for that reason alone. The second reason, is that his situation is alot like the AB contract deal. And much like L Bell's as well. All three players have clearly out-performed their existing contracts. You better believe that the entire roster is watching what the team does for their second contract.

I am not saying that the team has to attempt to outbid themselves and back-up an armored car full of money, but they can't try and get AV resigned for bargain basement prices either.

Also, letting AV walk would be the dumbest decision from this team in quite some time.

polamalubeast
06-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Munchak is an amazing o-line coach and he is one of the reasons why our o-line is now great, but the reason why our o-line was bad in 2013 with the same players is that Bicknell was historically bad o-line coach.

teegre
06-10-2017, 10:46 AM
We shouldn't let him go, but we also don't have any reason to bid against ourselves. If it's looking like it'll come down to a crappy contract battle where it's a lose-lose for us ... Well, we've got 2-3 years to prepare for that, and while finding offensive linemen is not foolproof, it's not like finding quarterbacks either.

As far as Munchak is concerned, sure, some amount of talent has to be there, but plain as day, we had a well below-average line before, and once he came along, we have one of the best lines in the league, and it's the same guys. Seems like we've also gotten a lot better at identifying (and just as importantly, developing) decent prospects with what used to be throwaway picks or afterthought FA signings. So there's no doubt in my mind he's made it about 500% more likely that if the Villanueva situation goes sideways, we'll make something work in the end.

2012: Pre-season, DeCastro lost for the season with knee injury

2013: Game one, Pouncey lost for the season with knee injury

2014: All of those high-round draft picks are ALL available/injury-free... and, yes, Munchak arrives.

Munchak is EXCEPTIONAL, but ignoring the fact that talent is important is flirting with disaster. Heck, Munchak couldn't make a backup, let alone a starter, out of Mike Adams. Yet, at season's end, AV was a top 5 LT.

YES, Munchak was probably responsible for 90% of AV's success, but that last 10% in indeed based on talent... which is the difference between Beachum (a starter with flaws) and AV (a starter who is one of the best in the league).

polamalubeast
06-10-2017, 01:42 PM
It could be ugly and one of the two (steelers or Villaneuva) could be a big loser in this situation.

If Hawkins plays well if Villaneuva holdout, Villaneuva is going to be big loser, but if Hawkins is horrible, it's going to be the steelers who will be the big losers.

I predict that one of the two situations will happen if Villaneuva holdout.

Born2Steel
06-10-2017, 05:56 PM
It could be ugly and one of the two (steelers or Villaneuva) could be a big loser in this situation.

If Hawkins plays well if Villaneuva holdout, Villaneuva is going to be big loser, but if Hawkins is horrible, it's going to be the steelers who will be the big losers.

I predict that one of the two situations will happen if Villaneuva holdout.

I don't see the leverage for AV to hold out at his age. The Steelers have him for 2 more years, right? Then there's RFA, and tag. Plus the Steelers do have Hawkins ready to play. I think AV gets a deal comparable to Gilbert. Maybe not top 5 LT contract, but acceptable.

Shoes
06-10-2017, 06:35 PM
If you are in charge of a team with SB aspirations, how can you have less than 3 quality offensive tackles? Even if the Steelers believe that Hawkins is an eventual amazing starter at LT - you can't just let AV walk. Because who is your 3rd tackle? Hubbard - yeah that doesn't fill me with confidence.

AV needs to be resigned for that reason alone. The second reason, is that his situation is alot like the AB contract deal. And much like L Bell's as well. All three players have clearly out-performed their existing contracts. You better believe that the entire roster is watching what the team does for their second contract.

I am not saying that the team has to attempt to outbid themselves and back-up an armored car full of money, but they can't try and get AV resigned for bargain basement prices either.

Also, letting AV walk would be the dumbest decision from this team in quite some time.

Best post of the day. Close the thread!

Count Steeler
06-10-2017, 07:05 PM
2012: Pre-season, DeCastro lost for the season with knee injury

2013: Game one, Pouncey lost for the season with knee injury

2014: All of those high-round draft picks are ALL available/injury-free... and, yes, Munchak arrives.

Munchak is EXCEPTIONAL, but ignoring the fact that talent is important is flirting with disaster. Heck, Munchak couldn't make a backup, let alone a starter, out of Mike Adams. Yet, at season's end, AV was a top 5 LT.

YES, Munchak was probably responsible for 90% of AV's success, but that last 10% in indeed based on talent... which is the difference between Beachum (a starter with flaws) and AV (a starter who is one of the best in the league).

Mike Adams lacked 1 major component, a heart. He was the Tin Man of the O line. He had talent, he was projected as a first rounder until he screwed up. Beachum may not have had the talent, (7th rounder) but he had heart. AV, well, no one can ever accuse him of lacking heart.

teegre
06-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Mike Adams lacked 1 major component, a heart. He was the Tin Man of the O line. He had talent, he was projected as a first rounder until he screwed up. Beachum may not have had the talent, (7th rounder) but he had heart. AV, well, no one can ever accuse him of lacking heart.

Excellent point. :nod:

Let me expand on it... and summarize why I want AV to get an extension:

Adams: big talent, no heart

Beachum: no talent, big heart

AV: big talent, big heart

Born2Steel
06-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Question....what if Hawkins actually beats AV out for the starting role? That is one possible scenario. AV doesn't get market value for a starting LT just yet. Keep him? Of course. He's not going to another team though. The Steelers have ALL the negotiating leverage in this. Give him enough to get him on the field, that's it.

FrancoLambert
06-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Question....what if Hawkins actually beats AV out for the starting role? That is one possible scenario. AV doesn't get market value for a starting LT just yet. Keep him? Of course. He's not going to another team though. The Steelers have ALL the negotiating leverage in this. Give him enough to get him on the field, that's it.

All things are possible but I would say it's highly unlikely. If Hawkins had the look of a plug-in OT starter he would have gone much earlier in the draft.

polamalubeast
06-11-2017, 02:14 PM
All things are possible but I would say it's highly unlikely. If Hawkins had the look of a plug-in OT starter he would have gone much earlier in the draft.

Maybe but this is not rare to see a player become a good player even if he is drafted in the 4th round.

We must wait and see...

steelreserve
06-11-2017, 06:33 PM
Mike Adams was also injured for his last two seasons with what turned out to be a career-ending back problem. I don't think we'll ever know if he could've been any good.

If you want an indicator of how much of the OL's success is talent versus coaching, look at another guy: Marcus Gilbert. There was a classic example of a player with talent who just couldn't figure it out, and was struggling and probably on his way to getting demoted and then replaced. He gets a little coaching and suddenly, what do you know, he's superb.

Or: Oh no, Pouncey and DeCastro were hurt the couple of years before Munchak arrived, that must have been the reason for our problems, right? Well, Pouncey was hurt for the whole season two years ago WITH Munchak, and the OL barely missed a beat. Same guys.

No, you're not going to grab any old guy off the garbage truck and turn him into a star LT, but with Munchak, find a guy with average or above-pound talent and you get an adequate player instead of a dumpster fire. The bar is way, way lower than it used to be without him. It's not going to take $10M a year or a top-10 draft pick to be decent at that position.

Anyway, there's not even any reason to "Let Villanueva walk." We have him for the next two years for very little money guaranteed, three if we want him. At that point, Ben's 37 or 38 and probably retiring. I don't even understand the question here.

polamalubeast
06-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Mike Adams was also injured for his last two seasons with what turned out to be a career-ending back problem. I don't think we'll ever know if he could've been any good.

If you want an indicator of how much of the OL's success is talent versus coaching, look at another guy: Marcus Gilbert. There was a classic example of a player with talent who just couldn't figure it out, and was struggling and probably on his way to getting demoted and then replaced. He gets a little coaching and suddenly, what do you know, he's superb.

Or: Oh no, Pouncey and DeCastro were hurt the couple of years before Munchak arrived, that must have been the reason for our problems, right? Well, Pouncey was hurt for the whole season two years ago WITH Munchak, and the OL barely missed a beat. Same guys.

No, you're not going to grab any old guy off the garbage truck and turn him into a star LT, but with Munchak, find a guy with average or above-pound talent and you get an adequate player instead of a dumpster fire. The bar is way, way lower than it used to be without him. It's not going to take $10M a year or a top-10 draft pick to be decent at that position.

Anyway, there's not even any reason to "Let Villanueva walk." We have him for the next two years for very little money guaranteed, three if we want him. At that point, Ben's 37 or 38 and probably retiring. I don't even understand the question here.

This is the difference between an great coach and an awful coach!

teegre
06-11-2017, 10:10 PM

But... by your logic, the Steelers shouldn't have re-signed Gilbert. They should have let him walk, and replaced him with any above-average OT.

Whereas, I see Gilbert as the same as AV (although their contract situations are different): Munchak was able to tap into that talent and bring it to the forefront.

SUMMATION:
As I've iterated, Munchak can not create talent, but he's phenomenal at developing it. If you want to put a number on it, you can give Munchak 90% of the credit for the O-line'ssuccess, but that last 10% is indeed the difference between Beachum (capable LT) and AV (statistically top 5 LT).

steelreserve
06-12-2017, 05:39 PM
But... by your logic, the Steelers shouldn't have re-signed Gilbert. They should have let him walk, and replaced him with any above-average OT.

Whereas, I see Gilbert as the same as AV (although their contract situations are different): Munchak was able to tap into that talent and bring it to the forefront.

SUMMATION:
As I've iterated, Munchak can not create talent, but he's phenomenal at developing it. If you want to put a number on it, you can give Munchak 90% of the credit for the O-line'ssuccess, but that last 10% is indeed the difference between Beachum (capable LT) and AV (statistically top 5 LT).

What? We got a reasonable deal for Gilbert. If we were talking about $10M a year, then yeah, we should've let him walk and replaced him, and then I'd be fairly confident in our ability to do so. Munchak takes OK players and makes them good, and above-average players and makes them very good. But thankfully it didn't come to that or anywhere near it.

The Villanueva situation is very close to that, except that we don't even HAVE to worry about the contract getting out of hand. And there's more lead time to prepare if so, and thereby have a chance to get a "good" LT if we deem it necessary, instead of just any old LT.

I really don't understand what people are worried about. Either we sign him or we don't, and if we don't there's no reason to freak out. Hopefully everyone figures out the money part for something reasonable and it's a non-issue anyway.

polamalubeast
06-13-2017, 12:06 PM

GBMelBlount
06-13-2017, 02:56 PM

This tweet says "My brain plays a very small part in my thinking and I have no idea what is involved in running a team in a league with salary caps."

steelreserve
06-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Option A: "Keep the player and don't spend $10 million"

Option B: "Keep the player and spend $10 million for the hell of it."

How often is option B going to win?

GBMelBlount
06-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Option A: "Keep the player and don't spend $10 million"

Option B: "Keep the player and spend $10 million for the hell of it."

How often is option B going to win?

What about offering 5 or 6 per year?

steelreserve
06-13-2017, 03:56 PM
What about offering 5 or 6 per year?

I think that's a great idea, benefits everyone, and probably what's going to eventually happen.

Both sides just need to get to the point where they're realistic about it - Villanueva's agent that he's simply not in a position where a $50 million contract is a possibility; and the team that if this guy is part of our long-term plans, you need a long-term deal. I've said before something like 5 years, $30-35M is a good price for us, and basically is locking the max that he could expect to make on the open market if everything went his way between now and then.

AtlantaDan
06-14-2017, 02:35 PM
Good ESPN.com article on AV and his contract situation

"I come from an organization like the military, which only cares about the goodness and the development and the opportunities of every member. Then you come to the NFL and you have to fall into these rules, to these sort of agreements between owners and players that sometimes might seem or might appear to be unfair to certain players....

The NFL business model has caused Villanueva to feel insecure and defensive about the way he supports his family, he says. The military offers the backdrop of comfort. Want to work more or less hours? The system accommodates that, he said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/24022/steelers-villanueva-still-struggles-adjusting-to-civilian-life

AV is a grounded guy but those I know in the Reserves who were deployed to Iran and Afghanistan along with what I have read about enlisted soldiers receiving multiple deployments might not be on board with the military being heavily into flextime. And no organization cares only about the goodness and development of its members.

GBMelBlount
06-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Jerald Hawkins Does Little To Change Villanueva’s Situation

Saying Hawkins affects Villanueva’s situation is like saying James Conner is changing the dynamic for Le’Veon Bell’s long term deal. It’s just silly. There’s little question the team is high on Hawkins. He had an excellent camp as a rookie before hurting his shoulder but the sample size is so small, it’s asinine to use it as justification or to have enough confidence.

Banking on Hawkins is like guessing the person in Clue once you eliminate all the people with brown eyes. Dumb.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/jerald-hawkins-little-change-villanuevas-situation/

(He goes on to say he thinks 5 mil / year is the right price....which doesn't sound bad to me.)

polamalubeast
06-18-2017, 08:44 AM
Jerald Hawkins Does Little To Change Villanueva’s Situation

Saying Hawkins affects Villanueva’s situation is like saying James Conner is changing the dynamic for Le’Veon Bell’s long term deal. It’s just silly. There’s little question the team is high on Hawkins. He had an excellent camp as a rookie before hurting his shoulder but the sample size is so small, it’s asinine to use it as justification or to have enough confidence.

Banking on Hawkins is like guessing the person in Clue once you eliminate all the people with brown eyes. Dumb.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/06/jerald-hawkins-little-change-villanuevas-situation/

(He goes on to say he thinks 5 mil / year is the right price....which doesn't sound bad to me.)

I don't think it's enough.

The average that an LT has per year is 7.5 millions.

Villaneuva is better than average.

Born2Steel
06-18-2017, 10:25 AM
I don't get the idea of overpaying. He does not get a top 5 LT because it doesn't make good financial sense moving forward. Give AV a contract comparable to Gilbert and we keep moving on. Front loaded for signing but tapers off so not as big a cap hit in 3-4 years. That keeps him long term and leaves money for resigning the core parts that make this a championship team. I refuse to cry over a player ONLY making 5M a year vs 9M a year. I'm just not going to do that. I get the whole 'market value' thing. But the point is, it does not apply in this case because of his situation with the team. AV will be very happy to be making 5M per season as the starting LT for the world champs.