PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Steelers Defensive Front 7

GBMelBlount
05-30-2017, 07:15 PM
What would you rate the Steelers Defensive Front Seven?

PFF rated us 16 in January and according to their stats, we needn't worry about losing Timmons.

16. Pittsburgh Steelers

Top overall grade: OLB James Harrison, 86.7

Lowest overall grade: LB Lawrence Timmons, 46.4

If one could summarize the Steelers’ front-seven in two words, they would be: missed tackles.

They have the talent to play much better than the 16th-best front-seven any given week, but they struggle mightily finishing plays at times. Ryan Shazier’s 21 missed tackles were the fourth-most among linebackers, while Stephon Tuitt’s ridiculous 12 missed tackles were the most of any interior defensive lineman. It’s amazing to think that their most productive player is still 38-year-old James Harrison, a player whom it appeared they’d moved on from four years prior when he was cut and left free to sign with the divisional-rival Bengals..

Six Rings
05-31-2017, 09:31 AM
Here's how I see it.

The -'s

Even though he was a declining player, the loss of Timmons will be felt. Williams might be an even as an in the box run defender, but he's too slow and will be targeted vs. the pass as a starter.

Harrison is another year older, and once a player passes age 35, then tend to age in dog years as a player. Harrison might have something left as a rotational pass rusher.

The + s Watt should be better than Jones / whoever else was starting as a rookie, and Harrison should be able to help the rookie get up to speed. Hargrave should be better in his second season. Tuitt and Dupree are on the verge of a breakout season. I tend to think Heyward, who was our best lineman last year had a fluke type of injury. Ironhead's boy is a team leader and durable.

The Key here is health. Shazier must stay healthy. He's got a unique blend of speed, and pass coverage ability. If he goes down, our nickel and dime defense will suffer greatly. The next man up to replace him is likely Matakevich. No disrespect meant to Matatkevich, he can not replace what Shazier offers. The Steelers might even move a safety in their nickel and dime if Shazier is out for a length of time.

st33lersguy
05-31-2017, 11:15 AM
Top 10, Tuitt, Heyward, Grave Digger are all solid up front. Shazier had his breakout year and should continue to play at a high level if healthy, and I think Dupree will get 10+ sacks if healthy. Watt has the motor to make an impact and Harrison will help him out while getting some sacks on his own. Vince Williams I think is solid himself (it's just pass coverage for him is the biggest concern from the front 7). Overall the team is in great shape at the front 7

P.S. Is Tom Brady is still gay = to 16th or 17th? :)

GBMelBlount
05-31-2017, 11:51 AM
P.S. Is Tom Brady is still gay = to 16th or 17th? :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1f/30/2a/1f302a94986453b278f2ecc0157d6943.jpg