PDA

View Full Version : How Good Will the Steeler's Defense be in 2017?

GBMelBlount
05-29-2017, 08:13 PM
The Steelers' offense is being talked about as possibly top 2-3 in the league this year.

But what about our defense?

Even though I believe we were 10th in points allowed on defense last year, the first rankings I read for 2017 (post draft), have us at 15.

While there are different methods that can be used to rate defenses, how would you guess our defense will rank overall next year, by whatever standard you choose to use, and is it be good enough to win a championship in your mind?

If healthy, I would guess between 5th - 10th.

Mojouw
05-29-2017, 08:32 PM
I will go with top 15. I do not think that the 2017 Steelers defense will be one of those dominating units that opponents just simply can't move the ball on. But I do think it will be "splashy". Lots of timely big plays and turnovers. Largely, this will be thanks to the offense. That video game cheat code level offense is going to force some teams into early holes that make them purely one dimensional. I think Butler finally has enough horses in the stable to turn 'em loose and get after some people. Playing with multi score leads often will also simplify the game and make it possible for the younger players to contribute in a big way.

I will list one thing that could change everything - Ryan Shazier. If he plays like he has in spurts for 16 games - well then all bets are off on what the ceiling of this defense is.

GBMelBlount
05-29-2017, 08:36 PM
I will go with top 15. I do not think that the 2017 Steelers defense will be one of those dominating units that opponents just simply can't move the ball on. But I do think it will be "splashy". Lots of timely big plays and turnovers. Largely, this will be thanks to the offense. That video game cheat code level offense is going to force some teams into early holes that make them purely one dimensional. I think Butler finally has enough horses in the stable to turn 'em loose and get after some people. Playing with multi score leads often will also simplify the game and make it possible for the younger players to contribute in a big way.

I will list one thing that could change everything -

Ryan Shazier. If he plays like he has in spurts for 16 games - well then all bets are off on what the ceiling of this defense is.

The ceiling may definitely be the roof this year! :wink02:

I am just concerned that all the new hair may slow Shazier down a bit.

https://media.theplayerstribune.com/uploads/Shazier_paralax2-2000x1125.jpg

teegre
05-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Steelers score 17-21 points on their first three possessions of every game.

With the lead, the opposition becomes one-dimensional... and thus, Heyward, Tuitt, Shazier, Dupree, & Harrison/Watt can focus 85% of their energy on pass rushing. In turn, I see lots of second-half turnovers (due to pressure, sacks, and/or errant throws).

15th in yard allowed.
7th in points allowed.
1st in turnover differential.

Hawkman
05-29-2017, 09:31 PM
I think they will be 12th overall. Secondary will still be problematic, but the front seven will be...damn tough!!!

polamalubeast
05-30-2017, 06:17 AM
Maybe slightly better than last year,but the most important is what this defense will do against elite offense like the Packers and Patriots that are in our schedule.

43Hitman
05-30-2017, 06:49 AM
They were trending up all season last year and with some more experience under their belt I think that will translates to a better unit overall. So I think they will finish with a top 10 defense.

tube517
05-30-2017, 09:07 AM
About #10. Their young secondary will still give up some plays here and there.

If Deebo/TJ/Bud/CHey/Tuitt/SHazier are all healthy and get that pass rush going, it may be higher.

86WARD
05-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Currently I'd say 17-18. If the DBs improve, the new guys help and the depth improves, they could be Top-10. The loss of Timmons and lack of two starting CBs concerns me.

GBMelBlount
05-30-2017, 01:15 PM
They were trending up all season last year and with some more experience under their belt I think that will translates to a better unit overall. So I think they will finish with a top 10 defense.

I am thinking somewhere between 8 and 12.

43Hitman
05-30-2017, 04:43 PM
I am thinking somewhere between 8 and 12.I would take it. Providing our offense does what it is supposed to do, we should be a 10-12 win team.

polamalubeast
05-30-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't care about the ranking.The important thing is that this defense is not horrible against the elite offenses.

They are able to be in the top 10 for the PPGs, as it has been the case in the last two years, but the next step is how they will do against the elite offenses.

I will not be happy if this defense is in the top 5 in points per game, but they only force one punt or turnovers against the packers and/or the Pats.

st33lersguy
05-30-2017, 07:10 PM
I'm guessing top 15. The secondary scares me too much to put it in the top 10

GBMelBlount
05-30-2017, 07:12 PM

A strong front 7 upgrades the entire defense.

BurghBoy412
05-30-2017, 08:02 PM
I believe they have all the pieces in place to be the Top rated rush D and top 12 against the pass. If they can add 10 sacks to last seasons 38 that would put them atop the league in sacks (Cardinals led with 48 last year). If they add 5 INT's to last seasons 13 INT's that would put them atop the league in interceptions (Baltimore and KC led with 18). All that being said I'm the kind of guy that believes you throw all the stats out of the window come playoff time.

86WARD
05-31-2017, 07:41 AM

That addition of Heyward will be huge. But when you have a QB that makes quick decisions, that front 7 doesn't help as much (Williams is questionable as a starter). You still have to have three starting CBs and the Steelers really have Burns and he's only a second year guy...who knows what the sophomore season brings. Definitely has to be improvement in that back end.

polamalubeast
05-31-2017, 08:39 AM
I may be wrong, but I would not be surprised if our secondary becomes a strength for the Steelers.The potential is there, we are far from being bad as in 2013 to 2015.

I hope that the steelers will also find a CB that can cover the slot WR too.

Also, the coaching staff have to trust them in man to man situations, even if sometimes you give a big play.

Six Rings
05-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Steelers score 17-21 points on their first three possessions of every game.

With the lead, the opposition becomes one-dimensional... and thus, Heyward, Tuitt, Shazier, Dupree, & Harrison/Watt can focus 85% of their energy on pass rushing. In turn, I see lots of second-half turnovers (due to pressure, sacks, and/or errant throws).

15th in yard allowed.
7th in points allowed.
1st in turnover differential.

Those would be some good numbers!

Rotorhead
05-31-2017, 03:09 PM
I would say top 10, they will be improved from last season just with Cam being back. Add to that more exp for Burns, Davis and Hargrave and it will be better than the end of last season. The only person we lost was Timmons, and for the first half of the season Timmons wasnt so good, so that is a wash. I am hoping for a relatively healthy season.

Craic
05-31-2017, 05:57 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I think offenses will find out they can run on the Steelers without Timmons. I watched too many offenses do just that last year when Timmons went out. I think our pass defense will end up in the top half, if not the top ten, but the run defense will suffer and be in the sub-mediocre. The first few games will mask it. However, when we hit the meat of the schedule, it'll be exposed and we will only be somewhere around 17-24th best against the run.

EDIT: Forget that Cam was out and Tuitt was injured for part of the season. So I'll upgrade to mediocre to just above mediocre. Somewhere between 12-17th against the run.

polamalubeast
05-31-2017, 06:03 PM
Our D-line is too good to be mediocre against the run.

Craic
05-31-2017, 09:11 PM
Our D-line is too good to be mediocre against the run.

Our D line is only a three man front. It has to have LB support to stop the run by design. I don't believe we'll get that support this year like we did last year when Timmons was in.

polamalubeast
06-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Our D line is only a three man front. It has to have LB support to stop the run by design. I don't believe we'll get that support this year like we did last year when Timmons was in.

I think Vince Williams can do a good job against the run.This is against the pass that I fear that Williams be exposed.

We will see.

Craic
06-01-2017, 03:08 PM
I think Vince Williams can do a good job against the run.This is against the pass that I fear that Williams be exposed.

We will see.

Hmm. Interesting. I know in his younger years, Timmons was fast. Fast enough to hang with TEs and even WRs, but I didn't think he contributed significantly to coverage towards the latter end of his career outside of just being a solid all-around player.

Here's hoping we're both wrong!