PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh’s Success Stems From Steady Leadership

polamalubeast
05-27-2017, 08:22 AM
It’s the weekend, there isn’t a lot going on in Pittsburgh, so I wanted to take a slightly different direction with this one. The big news of this past week is the Pittsburgh Penguins’ thrilling Game 7 win over the Ottawa Senators. Their win, and back-to-back appearances in the Stanley Cup Finals only reinforces what the city of Pittsburgh represents. Quality, steady coaches.

Mike Tomlin has created and maintained an impressive culture with the Steelers. He may not be lauded for his X’s and O’s the way Bill Belichick is but he commands the locker room just the same. Players fight hard for him and with him. It isn’t a one-way street. Of course, that isn’t all from Tomlin, it’s the longstanding philosophy of the Rooney’s, but Tomlin ran with it and enhanced that feeling. Pittsburgh has been as steady as ever, never having a losing season under him – Noll had four post-dynasty and Cowher had three – and adding another Lombardi to the collection.

I admit I don’t follow the other sports as closely as football but Mike Sullivan has brought similar to the Pens in a much shorter time. He inherited a flailing team under Mike Johnston and immediately turned them around, winning the Stanley Cup in his first season. With a target on their backs this year, and just as many injuries, Sullivan brought the Pens back to the Finals this year.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/pittsburghs-success-stems-steady-leadership/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

DesertSteel
05-27-2017, 09:13 AM
There are very few coaches I'd rather have than Mike Tomlin and I hope we have him another 10 years.

polamalubeast
05-27-2017, 09:21 AM
There are very few coaches I'd rather have than Mike Tomlin and I hope we have him another 10 years.

I think Tomlin will stay with the steelers as long as he wants.

The Steelers never fire the Head Coach.

DesertSteel
05-27-2017, 09:26 AM
The Steelers never fire the Head Coach.
http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2013/10/17/1140x_q90_a10-7_cTC/Bill-Austin.jpg

polamalubeast
05-27-2017, 09:29 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2013/10/17/1140x_q90_a10-7_cTC/Bill-Austin.jpg

I mean, the steelers have not fired a HC since 1968!

DesertSteel
05-27-2017, 10:23 AM
I mean, the steelers have not fired a HC since 1968!
Must've sucked to be him.

86WARD
05-27-2017, 02:49 PM
About leadership...bringing Harrison back is what turned this defense around. Without him, there's a pretty good chance theyd still be floundering.

Craic
05-27-2017, 05:03 PM
About leadership...bringing Harrison back is what turned this defense around. Without him, there's a pretty good chance theyd still be floundering.

I'm pretty sure drafting Artie Burns, Sean Davis, Javon Hargrave, Bud Dupree, Ryan Shazier, and Stephon Tuitt, along with signing Mike Mitchel and Arthur Moats and moving to a new defensive coordinator in Butler, all since James Harrison was brought back, had something to do with it as well.

ALLD
05-28-2017, 08:10 AM
The steady leadership passed away just a few weeks ago. There is a giant unknown going forward.

GBMelBlount
05-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Tomlin came in with no experience and made a lot of mistakes, like any new head coach does.

However he was blessed to work for an amazingly stable organization and inherit a great team.

10 years later, this is largely his team.

The growth and development of Tomlin in recent years is impressive to me.

Perhaps now, the game will slow down for HIM and he can focus on those X's & O's, that may be the last piece to him becoming a "great" coach.

This is my hope for him.