PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger said ‘110 percent’ committed to Steelers.

polamalubeast
05-23-2017, 03:08 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he's "110 percent committed like I said I was" to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2017.

Roethlisberger created uneasiness among Steelers fans after telling 92.3 The Fan in late January that he would evaluate his future and "if there's going to be a next season." In April, Roethlisberger said on his official Twitter account that the Steelers would get his "absolute best" next season.

What brought him back to the lineup?

"Honestly it doesn't really matter. I'm happy to be back here. I'm happy to be back with the team," Roethlisberger said on Day 1 of OTAs, adding that he took every rep and got extra work with rookies. "I love the city. I love these guys. I love being out there. Football is a passion of mine. It's what I do; it's what I love to do."

The 35-year-old Roethlisberger is essentially on a year-to-year plan; he hasn't publicly committed to playing in 2018.

When asked about how serious he was about potentially retiring, Roethlisberger responded, "What, did you think I was lying?"

And regarding how close he got to retirement, Roethlisberger said, "doesn't matter, I'm here now."

Roethlisberger ranks 10th in NFL history with 46,814 passing yards and ninth in touchdowns with 301. The Steelers appear to think Roethlisberger -- who's made three straight Pro Bowls -- has at least a few prime years left.

read more

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19445699/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-says-110-percent-committed-2017

DesertSteel
05-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Bret Favre all over again...........................

polamalubeast
05-23-2017, 03:15 PM

this

DesertSteel
05-23-2017, 03:29 PM
I'm sure that lots of guys go through these kinds of thoughts in the offseason. Just keep your trap shut to the media. It just makes him out an attention whore, which he is.

Craic
05-23-2017, 03:32 PM

this

I don't recall Ben retiring and then coming out of retirement. I recall him saying he is thinking about retirement, and in subsequent interviews it has been something that he has done for a couple of years now and the organization has known about it. I'm not sure how thinking about retirement equals Bret Favre.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure that lots of guys go through these kinds of thoughts in the offseason. Just keep your trap shut to the media. It just makes him out an attention whore, which he is.

Yes.

Yes.

Perhaps.

Not really.

polamalubeast
05-23-2017, 03:39 PM
I don't recall Ben retiring and then coming out of retirement. I recall him saying he is thinking about retirement, and in subsequent interviews it has been something that he has done for a couple of years now and the organization has known about it. I'm not sure how thinking about retirement equals Bret Favre.

The retirement stories of Brett Favre began before 2008....That starts in 2002, so the Roethlisberger situation looks like Brett Favre from 2002 to 2007.

Let's hope that one day it will not go like in the last 3 years of Brett Favre.

The Steelers had a lot of drama in the few last years with suspensions or controversy, we do not need rumor of retirement from our franchise player in every off season.

DesertSteel
05-23-2017, 03:40 PM
No... that'll be next year and the year after.........

AtlantaDan
05-23-2017, 04:47 PM
When asked about how serious he was about potentially retiring, Roethlisberger responded, "What, did you think I was lying?"

No more so than when you said you played the AFC championship game your rookie season with broken toes or that you played with two broken ribs in SB XLIII :coffee:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263

Born2Steel
05-23-2017, 04:48 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said he's "110 percent committed like I said I was" to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2017.

And....he mixes 2%milk to his whole milk, so he gets 102%milk.

86WARD
05-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Why would he throw a jab at Todd Haley in the middle of that story? Such a drama queen.

DesertSteel
05-23-2017, 07:10 PM
What did he say about Haley?

GBMelBlount
05-23-2017, 07:10 PM
Awesome, that should translate to at least 80% against sub .200 teams. :grin:

RunNGun
05-23-2017, 11:47 PM
How can you call him a drama queen? The guys 35 years old and taken a lot of hits that would make other NFL QBs rethink their profession. He's tough as nails and won us 2 Super Bowls. It will be a tough transition the day he decides to hang em up. I won't take anything he has left to offer for granted.

pczach
05-24-2017, 06:08 AM
How can you call him a drama queen? The guys 35 years old and taken a lot of hits that would make other NFL QBs rethink their profession. He's tough as nails and won us 2 Super Bowls. It will be a tough transition the day he decides to hang em up. I won't take anything he has left to offer for granted.

Because you're at a Steelers message board with fans that have unreasonable expectations and demands of their players.

It's what a lot of fans do. Many of the same fans will be curled up in a ball sobbing uncontrollably when he's gone and they see what's on the field taking his place. Many just don't know it yet or realize how lucky they've been.

Steeldude
05-24-2017, 07:18 AM
Well I would hope so. He is under contract after all.

86WARD
05-24-2017, 10:30 AM
What did he say about Haley?

Not sure. I just assumed because he hates Haley so much that he must've said something. You do know that in addition to questioning Bell and his escapades other then practice that he hates Haley and Haley hates him.

DesertSteel
05-24-2017, 10:37 AM
He's tough, as far as I can tell. No one seems to really know the extent or seriousness of his injuries. There is always some contradiction to what he claims, whether from his head coach or some other source. But he seems tough. Not mutually exclusive, however, he is a drama queen. He has been from the beginning. It is what it is. Terry Bradshaw was/ and is a bone head - and a great Quarterback. Ben is a drama queen - and a great Quarterback. I'll take the bad with the good.

GBMelBlount
05-24-2017, 11:32 AM
People change and so do opinions.

There were times earlier in his career that I thought Ben was a drama queen.

I no longer feel that way.

SteelMember
05-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Ben later self reported that this interview gave him a headache... :chuckle:

tube517
05-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Ben later self reported that this interview gave him a headache... :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Cowher came out of retirement to deny it.

DesertSteel
05-24-2017, 01:54 PM
People change and so do opinions.

There were times earlier in his career that I thought Ben was a drama queen.

I no longer feel that way.He's definitely changed his personal life for the better. But the DQ thing is a personality trait more than a behavior. Even when he's not trying, it comes out.

Mojouw
05-24-2017, 03:45 PM
This thread is hilarious. There are like 6 dozen threads on this forum with criticisms of players and coaches for only answering questions in evasive cliches and meaningless platitudes.

All Ben R did was provide a series of honest and straightforward answers to questions regarding retirement and his future playing career.

Now he is a drama queen and Favre 2.0.

Same with his comments regarding L. Bell. Does the starting QB and leader of the team really wish his star RB was at OTAs - certainly. So another honest answer and he is getting killed for starting a "controversy".

People wonder why athletes and coaches speak in cliched nonsense, look what happens when they don't! And you all wonder why Ben R is contemplating retirement? Can you imagine a job that in addition to destroying your body requires you to meticulously parse every word you say? As soon as my financial planner said I made enough for me and mine - I'd be out!

And to pull in the discussion from another thread - Ben R is not a smart dude.

GBMelBlount
05-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Desertsteel

But the DQ thing is a personality trait more than a behavior. Even when he's not trying, it comes out.

Personally, I think it was more prominent when he was younger.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/df/05/16df05f4e4648eb6057ccc10ecec7c1b.jpg

fansince'76
05-25-2017, 04:42 PM
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.13507903.3259/flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

:chuckle:

fansince'76
05-25-2017, 04:48 PM
The Steelers had a lot of drama in the few last years with suspensions or controversy, we do not need rumor of retirement from our franchise player in every off season.

That Pandora's box has already been opened. This will be easy go-to offseason material for Ed Bullchitte and the rest of the Pittsburgh sports media for as long as Ben sticks around.

Nope. Not even remotely close. When Ben starts holding tear-drenched retirement pressers over multiple seasons, let me know.

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/rgriffith09/p_brett_favre_crying.jpg (http://s595.photobucket.com/user/rgriffith09/media/p_brett_favre_crying.jpg.html)

It's what a lot of fans do. Many of the same fans will be curled up in a ball sobbing uncontrollably when he's gone and they see what's on the field taking his place. Many just don't know it yet or realize how lucky they've been.

Yep. When the next Malone/Brister/Stewart knockoff comes in and starts one-hopping passes in the dirt in front of wide open receivers (or rocketing it 10 feet over their head) when they aren't throwing it right to an opposing DB, lots of people are going to change their tune real quick. Particularly the younger fans that missed the two-decade shitshow under center this team featured after Bradshaw retired.

This thread is hilarious. There are like 6 dozen threads on this forum with criticisms of players and coaches for only answering questions in evasive cliches and meaningless platitudes.

All Ben R did was provide a series of honest and straightforward answers to questions regarding retirement and his future playing career.

Now he is a drama queen and Favre 2.0.

Same with his comments regarding L. Bell. Does the starting QB and leader of the team really wish his star RB was at OTAs - certainly. So another honest answer and he is getting killed for starting a "controversy".

People wonder why athletes and coaches speak in cliched nonsense, look what happens when they don't! And you all wonder why Ben R is contemplating retirement? Can you imagine a job that in addition to destroying your body requires you to meticulously parse every word you say? As soon as my financial planner said I made enough for me and mine - I'd be out!

Exactly. He's gotten clobbered for pretty much everything he's said (and in many cases, hasn't said) for years now. If he "pulls a Bradshaw" and essentially flips this fanbase the bird after he finally does hang it up, I, for one, will fully understand.

polamalubeast
05-25-2017, 05:17 PM
For me, I respect Roethlisberger to reflect on his future and I'm glad that he is our QB and what he has accomplished with us, but I understand for people that it bothers, since we don't need any other drama on this team!

The comparison with Favre right now is between 2002 to 2007(not 2008 to 2010) when he was thinking of retirement at every off season, even if he had no press conference.

Nobody compares Roethlisberger with the version of Favre between 2008 to 2010 with his press conference!

DesertSteel
05-26-2017, 12:29 PM
For me, I respect Roethlisberger to reflect on his future and I'm glad that he is our QB and what he has accomplished with us, but I understand for people that it bothers, since we don't need any other drama on this team!

The comparison with Favre right now is between 2002 to 2007(not 2008 to 2010) when he was thinking of retirement at every off season, even if he had no press conference.

Nobody compares Roethlisberger with the version of Favre between 2008 to 2010 with his press conference!
^^^ This

teegre
05-26-2017, 04:03 PM
BB is bad at math.

pczach
05-26-2017, 06:20 PM
BB is bad at math.

I'm hoping he's smart enough to count to 7......or maybe 8 or 9. :wink02:

polamalubeast
05-27-2017, 02:35 PM
WTF!

Hawkman
05-27-2017, 05:21 PM
WTF!

Seriously??!!

SteelerFanInStl
05-27-2017, 06:00 PM
WTF!

That just shows how little respect Ben gets. Stafford has never done anything other than put up some meaningless stats every now and then.

polamalubeast
05-27-2017, 06:05 PM
That just shows how little respect Ben gets. Stafford has never done anything other than put up some meaningless stats every now and then.

I saw a stats at the end of the 2014 season, that Stafford was 0-16 on the road in career against teams with a winning record.He was 1-23 overall after the 2012 season against teams with a winning record

Of course, it's not just his fault, since the Lions are not very good, but this question was a lack of respect for Ben.

polamalubeast
05-30-2017, 03:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UHdCGOJUA