PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Ladarius Green

BlackAndGold
05-18-2017, 02:04 PM

WOW

86WARD
05-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Wow. That's kind of surprising with how the draft fell but maybe not since he failed the physical.

Worst signing since?

They got Captain Phazon so maybe all is good!!

BlackAndGold
05-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Shoes
05-18-2017, 02:09 PM
No surprise here, they should have drafted a TE.

Mojouw
05-18-2017, 02:09 PM
That's a shocker. Sad news. Green is likely to go down as a guy that "coiuld've been" but got derailed by injury.

Shoes
05-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Seems like the Steelers were smarter at the LS position than the TE. Drop a TE and pick up a RB?

salamander
05-18-2017, 02:13 PM
He flashed a lot of potential in what little he played last year. Shame.

BlackAndGold
05-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Lets hope Jesse James continues to improve.

Grimble/Johnson are now the #2 TE. Not good.

Steeldude
05-18-2017, 02:17 PM
No surprise there. It's why I wanted them to draft Kittle.

Mojouw
05-18-2017, 02:19 PM

This dude is just sooooooo bad at this job.

Who told him? The trainer's cousin? Also, wouldn't an actual "reporter" work his contacts from decades of covering the team, track down sources who would go on the record and "break" the story of the team's prized free agent being damaged goods? And further that the team didn't do its due diligence...

..Or Bouchette just sends out a lazy half-assed tweet. I mean I heard the same thing last summer around here. Does that make me a reporter?

Shoes
05-18-2017, 02:21 PM

Who told him? The trainer's cousin? Also, wouldn't an actual "reporter" work his contacts from decades of covering the team, track down sources who would go on the record and "break" the story of the team's prized free agent being damaged goods? And further that the team didn't do its due diligence...

..Or Bouchette just sends out a lazy half-assed tweet. I mean I heard the same thing last summer around here. Does that make me a reporter?

It could be an Ed bullshit special, but the way things played out it seems like he may be correct. This entire Green thing has been a mystery since they picked him up.

steel striker
05-18-2017, 02:24 PM
That's a shame Green showed the little he played that he could really give defenses problems over the middle and, even down the field.

Mojouw
05-18-2017, 02:31 PM
It could be a Ed bullshit special, but the way things panned out it seems like he may be correct

For sure. He most likely is. But in this Tweet he basically admits that he was TOO LAZY to do his actual job 12 months ago.

I mean, I'm lazy and whatnot -- but this is just ridiculous.

Says the man posting to football discussion forums during his workday!

Shoes
05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
For sure. He most likely is. But in this Tweet he basically admits that he was TOO LAZY to do his actual job 12 months ago.

I mean, I'm lazy and whatnot -- but this is just ridiculous.

Says the man posting to football discussion forums during his workday!

I'm with you brother, Alex should have his job, been saying it for years. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
And they didn't draft a TE because.....why?

tube517
05-18-2017, 02:46 PM
I'm with you brother, Alex should have his job, been saying it for years. :chuckle:

This. So much this.

Bulchitte/Douchette has been mailing it in for years.

Now, why the hell didn't we draft a TE? Any hope for X-man? Jesse is meh and doesn't scare defenses.

43Hitman
05-18-2017, 02:51 PM
They must feel good about the position if they didn't draft for it.

Rotorhead
05-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Are there any FA TE's available that are better than Outlaw?

AtlantaDan
05-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Walk me through who in the Steelers front office other than Art Rooney II has the job security to go on the record and say Tomlin & Colbert f***ed up by by signing Green (perhaps in a panic move after Heath retired with one year left on his contract) without doing due diligence on the concussion issue

This is for reasons including but not limited to Tomlin lying about Green being in concussion protocol last summer

Ed Bouchette joined The Starkey and Mueller Show and definitively told us what was going on with Green. “He is in concussion protocol,” Bouchette told us....

Earlier in the day though, when Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin addressed the media, he was asked if the team had any players in the concussion protocol and answered with one word.
“No.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/08/15/ed-bouchette-on-ladarius-green-he-is-in-concussion-protocol/

FWIW Bouchette reported last August that Green did not disclose to the Steelers that he continued to have problems with headaches during contract negotiations prior to signing and was stating during training camp last year the signing was a screwup

The Steelers signed Green one month after Heath Miller retired. Green never told the Steelers that he was having issues with headaches when they signed him, a source said. They knew about the January surgery, when he reportedly had two metal plates inserted into his ankle.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/11/Headaches-keeping-Ladarius-Green-from-practicing-with-Steelers/stories/201608110211

As time marches on, and Green runs alone on another field while his teammates practice at Saint Vincent College, the question looms: Did the Steelers bungle their top free agent signing?

It is reminiscent of Chuck Noll’s worst trade when he dealt productive wide receiver Frank Lewis to Buffalo in 1978 in exchange for tight end Paul Seymour. Seymour failed the Steelers’ physical because unbeknownst to them he had had surgery on his foot.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2016/08/10/With-Ladarius-Green-still-unable-to-play-the-Steelers-tight-end-situation-is-murky-at-best/stories/201608100213

tube517
05-18-2017, 03:17 PM

tube517
05-18-2017, 03:24 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/steelers-salary-cap-implications-following-ladarius-greens-release/

Green, who signed a four-year, $20 million free agent contract with the Steelers in 2016, was scheduled to earn a base salary of $5 million in 2017 and if not given a post June 1 designation, the Steelers will essentially free up $2.625 million in salary cap space in 2017 by releasing him, pending roster displacement.

If, however, the Steelers chose to designate Green as a post June 1 release, the team would eventually save $5 million in salary cap space in 2017, pending roster displacement. Such a move, however, would result in a dead money charge of $2.375 million in 2018. Additionally, the Steelers would have to carry Green’s full scheduled cap charge of $6.1875 million until June.

steelreserve
05-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Maybe they plan to see if TJ Watt can play both ways?

All joking aside, I wish they would've done something about the TE position if they knew this was a possibility. Much as I love Jesse James, the offense was noticeably better when we had Green in there causing problems over the middle.

Didn't we add some random free-agent TE after the draft also? Guy who was like some 9-foot-tall, 500-pound athletic freak? Don't remember more than reading it in passing, but now I wonder if that's in the plan somehow.

Mojouw
05-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Walk me through who in the Steelers front office other than Art Rooney II has the job security to go on the record and say Tomlin & Colbert f***ed up by by signing Green (perhaps in a panic move after Heath retired with one year left on his contract) without doing due diligence on the concussion issue

Easy.

"Unnamed team sources have confirmed that the Steelers were unaware of Green's concussion issues prior to his contract being signed." Happens all the time -- this is an NFL franchise not the CIA.

Another easy option:

"NFL league officials confirmed that Green is/is not in the concussion protocol and has/has not been since X DATE."

As to the whole thing being a screw up - yes and no. It highlights that no one really understand noggin' injuries. Some guys go into the protocol and never come out. Some go in and are better in no time with no other problems ever. Some have one big concussion and then never seem to have another. Some get dizzy moving their head for the rest of ever.

Green would have been a MONSTER in this offense - I think the signing was okay. A bit risky, but I would have done it. No real big cap penalty.

Drafting a TE is a separate issue. This draft class was super over-rated and only 2-3 will live up to the hype.

86WARD
05-18-2017, 03:40 PM
I think you have to begin to question how they evaluate health. Boykin and now Green...something needs to change.

steelcityboyz
05-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Maybe it's for the better. Green was one hit away from having another concussion and being out from playing.

86WARD
05-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Makes you wonder if they evaluated TJ Watt properly...

AtlantaDan
05-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Easy.

"Unnamed team sources have confirmed that the Steelers were unaware of Green's concussion issues prior to his contract being signed." Happens all the time -- this is an NFL franchise not the CIA.

Bouchette got that statement last summer when he reported "a source" said Green did not disclose he was still having headache problems of which the Steelers were unaware during contract negotiations, if that is what you mean by on the record - Bouchette's tweet this afternoon was not the first time he has reported it

I took on the record to mean associating a name with the statement, which is how Merriam Webster defines it

On the record - if you state something on the record you state it publicly
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/on-the-record

:drink:

Born2Steel
05-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Just in case you wonder who Terrell Watson is.......
Overview

Watson was the MVP of the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl after posting nine carries for a game-high 55 yards and a touchdown.

Pro Day Results

40-yard dash: 4.58 and 4.51 seconds
Vertical jump: 35 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 10-3
Short shuttle: 4.49 seconds
3-cone: 7.48 seconds
Bench: 22 reps of 225 pounds
Analysis

Strengths

Big bruiser. Has shattered just about every school record for his position, including the ones leftover from Christian Okoye's time at the school. Rushed for 63 touchdowns over last three seasons. Strength in lower body to rip through arm tackles. Nifty jump *cut for a man his size, with adequate change-of-direction ability. Strong fourth-quarter runner. Useful out of backfield in screen game.
Weaknesses

Played against small defenders that lacked the starch to bring it to him. Predictable in that he likes to make his cutbacks to the right. Doesn't feature a second gear to pull away from defenders. Plays with high pad level and takes big shots because of it.
Draft Projection

Priority free agent
Bottom Line

Upright power back with a bit more foot quickness than expected. Watson can make defenders miss in the hole, but he lacks the burst NFL teams will be looking for. His nose for the end zone is intriguing and he's worth a camp invite.

Mojouw
05-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Bouchette got that statement last summer when he reported "a source" said Green did not disclose he was still having headache problems of which the Steelers were unaware during contract negotiations, if that is what you mean by on the record - Bouchette's tweet this afternoon was not the first time he has reported it

I took on the record to mean associating a name with the statement, which is how Merriam Webster defines it

On the record - if you state something on the record you state it publicly
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/on-the-record

:drink:

And this is what I am talking about: http://ethics.npr.org/tag/anonymity/

"When a decision is made to use information that we have obtained from a source that must remain anonymous, we describe in as much detail as we can (without revealing so much that we effectively identify that person) how they know this information, their motivations (if any) and any other biographical details that will help a listener or reader evaluate the source’s credibility."

Bouchette and other sports writers never say how they "heard" something or were "told" this thing. That stuff matters because it can reveal bias or reliability issues. No one will ever convince me that Bouchette is not demonstrably terrible at his job. As others have mentioned, most of us can name 5 people off the top of their head who are better at writing/reporting about the Steelers.

But I have strayed very far from topic and Steelers related football. Anyway, so who in the blue hell plays TE this year?

vader29
05-18-2017, 05:33 PM
I think you have to begin to question how they evaluate health. Boykin and now Green...something needs to change.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1oroef.jpg

:chuckle:

AtlantaDan
05-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Bouchette and other sports writers never say how they "heard" something or were "told" this thing. That stuff matters because it can reveal bias or reliability issues. No one will ever convince me that Bouchette is not demonstrably terrible at his job. As others have mentioned, most of us can name 5 people off the top of their head who are better at writing/reporting about the Steelers.

Fair enough - name five people who reported more about the Steelers not knowing Green was having ongoing headache problems when he was negotiating his contract with the Steelers than Bouchette did - I regard Pittsburgh sportswriters to be a pretty low quality group but Ed B. is not demonstrably worse

As far as providing more identification of the source than Bouchette did, it appears you are fine with "unnamed team sources" being sufficiently specific - not certain how that provides any more assurance the source is credible (the janitor or cafeteria worker at the Steelers facility can be a "team source")

We are not talking about the large number of potential sources in DC regarding how and why Jim Comey got fired here and figuring out who is grinding what ax when they are anonymous (or the quality of reporting you get on that beat given what the networks and major national newspapers pay for political reporting compared to being a sportswriter in Pittsburgh) - Bouchette's sources go back to the small number of folks on the coaching staff and front office

Shoes
05-18-2017, 05:56 PM
The Steelers shit the bed in not pickin Kittle but that's water under the bridge. Who is available in the vet department? Is Barnidge still an option?

GBMelBlount
05-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Tomlin: So how are you feeling?

Green: Great, other than occasional debilitating migraines.

Tomlin: So you are able to play?

Green: Sure.

Tomlin: Awesome, sign here.

(pops cork)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-V7LbOhPCWA4/VhOB4pBkvzI/AAAAAAAAApQ/NafC6mlLMFQ/s1600/tonight%2527s%2Baudience%2Bparticipation%2B%25C3%2 5A2%25C2%2580%25C2%2593%2BKnowledge%2Bis%2BPower-710501.jpg

86WARD
05-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Bad I'd he is pretty much the only option unless someone gets released. Larry Donnell is out there too but I'd take James over him.

They may just love James, Grimble and Captain Phazon.

Devilsdancefloor
05-18-2017, 06:27 PM
i am surprised

Shoes
05-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Bad I'd he is pretty much the only option unless someone gets released. Larry Donnell is out there too but I'd take James over him.

They may just love James, Grimble and Captain Phazon.

Thats one bad blocker and two that suck. Orndoff is probably a better blocker than all three of them.

86WARD
05-18-2017, 07:03 PM
James was getting better as the season went on. I think there was a breakdown on SteelersDepot or somewhere. I'm thinking Mr. Wonderful will most likely be practice squad.

ALLD
05-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Don't be so quick to blame the Steelers. Maybe Green did great in practice and was ready to start until he put on a baseball cap and got another concussion?

Shoes
05-18-2017, 07:23 PM
James was getting better as the season went on. I think there was a breakdown on SteelersDepot or somewhere. I'm thinking Mr. Wonderful will most likely be practice squad.

Johnson is probably the best blocker of the bunch but offers nothing as a receiver.

lipps83
05-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Don't be so quick to blame the Steelers. Maybe Green did great in practice and was ready to start until he put on a baseball cap and got another concussion?

Probably knocked himself out wiping the practice sweat from his forehead and that is why the team doctors were looking at him.

fansince'76
05-18-2017, 07:31 PM

:rolleyes:

86WARD
05-18-2017, 07:31 PM
Johnson is probably the best blocker of the bunch but offers nothing as a receiver.

They've won Super Bowls with that format...

BurghBoy412
05-18-2017, 07:39 PM
This will make the team better. Glad it happened. Feel bad for Mr. Green though.

Shoes
05-18-2017, 07:59 PM
This will make the team better. Glad it happened. Feel bad for Mr. Green though.

I don't, no work, no training camp and only played 6 game and got 1 million per game.

Dwinsgames
05-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Green made 42.5 K per snap last year ....

where can I find a gig like that even if it only lasts a year

GBMelBlount
05-18-2017, 09:13 PM
Green made 42.5 K per snap last year ....

where can I find a gig like that even if it only lasts a year

Maybe if you had a magic snapper?

BurghBoy412
05-18-2017, 09:14 PM

I don't, no work, no training camp and only played 6 game and got 1 million per game.
Health > Money

BurghBoy412
05-18-2017, 09:20 PM
How does this move effect the cap?

Shoes
05-18-2017, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=Shoes;592221]
Health > Money

Agreed, he should have retired in SD and rejected the Steelers offer

Shoes
05-18-2017, 09:29 PM
How does this move effect the cap?

Here's a little info
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/steelers-salary-cap-implications-following-ladarius-greens-release/

BurghBoy412
05-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks Shoes

DesertSteel
05-18-2017, 09:48 PM
Ju Ju and James can work the middle of the field. Not worried.

teegre
05-18-2017, 09:54 PM
After the Browns traded up for Ginkgo Biloba, I was certain that he was who the Steelers were targeting in R1.

But, I read somewhere (Twitter???) that once the Packers traded back, the Steelers turned in their card with Watt's name written on it.

In other words, the Steelers don't seem too concerned about James.

He's infuriatingly timid once he catches the ball (run upfield damnit!!!), but he doesn't drop much. Add in JuJu and Bryant, and the offense will be better. I know that it could have been even better with the addition of a great TE, but as mojouw already said: there wasn't really anyone in this draft that would have been a significant upgrade over The Outlaw.

AtlantaDan
05-19-2017, 06:49 AM
The focus has been on his concussions but the alleged reason Green failed his physical was that his ankle never healed properly after his surgery

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20170519/steelers_missed_on_green_but_that_happens_on_the_f a_used_car_lot#.WR56Z52U5UI.twitter

Dwinsgames
05-19-2017, 11:07 AM
maybe our NEW Medical staff does a better job accessing players bill of health ....

I find it interesting they let the entire staff go the same Day as green if that is not sending a message nothing will IMO

Shoes
05-19-2017, 11:15 AM
maybe our NEW Medical staff does a better job accessing players bill of health ....

I find it interesting they let the entire staff go the same Day as green if that is not sending a message nothing will IMO

I missed this, is there a link?

steelreserve
05-19-2017, 11:25 AM

There was some tweet about that referenced in this thread, but I assumed it was a joke.

Mojouw
05-19-2017, 11:36 AM
After the Browns traded up for Ginkgo Biloba, I was certain that he was who the Steelers were targeting in R1.

But, I read somewhere (Twitter???) that once the Packers traded back, the Steelers turned in their card with Watt's name written on it.

In other words, the Steelers don't seem too concerned about James.

He's infuriatingly timid once he catches the ball (run upfield damnit!!!), but he doesn't drop much. Add in JuJu and Bryant, and the offense will be better. I know that it could have been even better with the addition of a great TE, but as mojouw already said: there wasn't really anyone in this draft that would have been a significant upgrade over The Outlaw.

I can't shake the feeling that the Steelers were slow-playing Round 1 of the draft for months. I think Watt was the guy all along, but they didn't think he would be there. So take him and Biegel out to dinner. Mumble something about a 2nd round grade. If this new OLB tandem works out, it is going to be a classic Steelers draft story. Sit back in the tail end of the 1st round and catch a falling prospect (Dupree and Watt).

As to TE. I'm starting to try and put myself in the shoes of Colbert - working on the assumption that I am pretty sure Green isn't going to play in 2017. I have a 22 year old TE going into his 3rd year as a pro. Making only about 1 year older than the rookies in this class -- but 2 years more developed. Then we should remember that James was a bit of a combine "star" in 2015 - http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jesse-james?id=2552633

While I don't buy that 4.5 forty time - the rest is fairly accurate. So now I have a guy that measures out the same as the later round size prospects in the draft and I know he can block at least a little (damn little, but moving on..). Long story short, if James came out this year - where would he have been drafted and how would everyone have felt about him being on the team?

teegre
05-19-2017, 12:12 PM
I can't shake the feeling that the Steelers were slow-playing Round 1 of the draft for months. I think Watt was the guy all along, but they didn't think he would be there. So take him and Biegel out to dinner. Mumble something about a 2nd round grade. If this new OLB tandem works out, it is going to be a classic Steelers draft story. Sit back in the tail end of the 1st round and catch a falling prospect (Dupree and Watt).

As to TE. I'm starting to try and put myself in the shoes of Colbert - working on the assumption that I am pretty sure Green isn't going to play in 2017. I have a 22 year old TE going into his 3rd year as a pro. Making only about 1 year older than the rookies in this class -- but 2 years more developed. Then we should remember that James was a bit of a combine "star" in 2015 - http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jesse-james?id=2552633

While I don't buy that 4.5 forty time - the rest is fairly accurate. So now I have a guy that measures out the same as the later round size prospects in the draft and I know he can block at least a little (damn little, but moving on..). Long story short, if James came out this year - where would he have been drafted and how would everyone have felt about him being on the team?

If Watt was the Steelers' guy all along, then the aforementioned rumor (the Steelers wrote Watt's name on the card the moment that the Packers traded out of R1) makes complete sense. :nod:

Good point about James (if he were in the 2017 draft).

Shoes
05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
There was some tweet about that referenced in this thread, but I assumed it was a joke.

Crap. I was hoping it was true.

Dwinsgames
05-19-2017, 01:50 PM

someone posted it here , I thought ahh that is a hoax so went to their twitter page and sure enough it was there ... just went back to get the link and its GONE so did their twitter get hacked ? did they post it and retract it ? did someone speak out of turn via twitter ? I have no clue but it was there now it is not make of it what you will