PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin's Growth as a Coach

GBMelBlount
05-13-2017, 08:00 PM
After starting his career with a great team and Super Bowl win, things began looking bleak.

We lost our Super Bowl players, the newly drafted weren't developing as expected, we were having cap problems and were 8-8 with a top tier QB.

However today we have one of the top 2-3 ranked offenses in the NFL, were in the top ten in scoring allowed on defense last year and could be much improved this year.

So while I do not feel Tomlin is the best at game plaming, in game adjustments and clock management, two areas I think he HAS improved in are drafting and developing players.

Solid B.

Thoughts?

Shoes
05-13-2017, 08:48 PM
After starting his career with a great team and Super Bowl win, things began looking bleak.

We lost our Super Bowl players, the newly drafted weren't developing as expected, we were having cap problems and were 8-8 with a top tier QB.

However today we have one of the top 2-3 ranked offenses in the NFL, were in the top ten in scoring allowed on defense last year and could be much improved this year.

So while I do not feel Tomlin is the best at game plaming, in game adjustments and clock management, two areas I think he HAS improved in are drafting and developing players.

Solid B.

Thoughts?

I can agree with that and also think changing out Arians & Lebeau gave Tomlin some breathing room to make the changes he felt necessary.

st33lersguy
05-13-2017, 10:01 PM
BU, BU BUT, HE CANT BEET BELLUHCHEET! HE SUX!

On a serious note, he is great at drafting and developing players, especially lately, having success with high upside guys. I also like his leadership and that the way his team handles adversity. After taking a little dip during a transition period, his team has gone farther every year for the past 3 years than the year before and look like they could legitimately contend for a super bowl

Mojouw
05-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Tomlins teams handle adversity and injury better than any other team in the league that I'm aware of. I know this is kinda BS but in almost every Steelers win here is a point where you can see it on the other teams sideline body language that they know they are losing. Rarely if ever see that on Tomlins sidelines. That has to count for something.

Born2Steel
05-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Tomlins teams handle adversity and injury better than any other team in the league that I'm aware of. I know this is kinda BS but in almost every Steelers win here is a point where you can see it on the other teams sideline body language that they know they are losing. Rarely if ever see that on Tomlins sidelines. That has to count for something.

Teams do actually take on the personality of the coach. Tomlin is ALWAYS sure of what he is doing. Even if he has doubts in his mind, his words and actions don't betray that. It's a very 'do your job' approach to game planning. As the talent level rises and players better learn their individual roles, the entire team becomes better. It's always a process with Tomlin. I think that's how it is with his players as well. Keep doing YOUR job.

Edman
05-14-2017, 10:52 AM
BU, BU BUT, HE CANT BEET BELLUHCHEET! HE SUX!

Wether we want to hear it or not, Belichick and the Pats are the measuring stick for which Tomlin will be judged as a coach, and the Steelers will be judged as a team, and they have yet to prove they belong on the same field as them. One win against Belicheat/Brady in the past decade. ONE.

Sick of hearing about it? Tomlin and the Steelers have to stop being their bitch. Beat their asses for once. Beat them and get to the Super Bowl. Jordan had to get past the Pistons. The 49ers had to beat the Cowboys.

The Killer B's have to beat New England. 3 and outs, Dropped Passes, Defensive breakdowns, and Ben not being his best are not going to cut it.

That said, Mike has done a good job pulling the team together after 2012 and 2013 to make them contenders again. His 2013 coaching job was great, and the team has managed to get further and further each year in the postseason.

But he'll get no more than a B, for being a good coach, but not a great one.

lipps83
05-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Its because the Steelers players aren't paying any attention to the game they are playing in. Probably doing selfies on their phones or talking about Hockey.

That's a coaching problem.

FIRE TOMLIN!!!

Mach1
05-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Wether we want to hear it or not, Belichick and the Pats are the measuring stick for which Tomlin will be judged as a coach, and the Steelers will be judged as a team, and they have yet to prove they belong on the same field as them. One win against Belicheat/Brady in the past decade. ONE.

Sick of hearing about it? Tomlin and the Steelers have to stop being their bitch. Beat their asses for once. Beat them and get to the Super Bowl. Jordan had to get past the Pistons. The 49ers had to beat the Cowboys.

The Killer B's have to beat New England. 3 and outs, Dropped Passes, Defensive breakdowns, and Ben not being his best are not going to cut it.

That said, Mike has done a good job pulling the team together after 2012 and 2013 to make them contenders again. His 2013 coaching job was great, and the team has managed to get further and further each year in the postseason.

But he'll get no more than a B, for being a good coach, but not a great one.

Also consistently year after year playing down to the competition and regularly losing to the teams you should beat, something the cheats* don't do.
We can always expect one or two of those every year.

steelreserve
05-15-2017, 11:43 AM

I agree on this 100%. Our drafts the first 2-3 years under Tomlin were done with all the foresight and effectiveness of a guy chasing a bus. The results were mostly horrible, and the few blue-chip talents just gave good individual performances based on raw talent; they didn't develop as players or improve their respective units.

Now we're getting impact players fairly regularly, and seem to have people in place (especially Munchak) who develop good talent into great players and OK talent into serviceable players. Learning that Tomlin actually went out of his way to get Munchak and not Colbert or someone else made me realize he's finally "getting it" from a personnel standpoint.

As far as day-to-day and in-game stuff ... yeah, there are coaches out there who execute better than him, and it sucks. But having the macro of managing the team down is probably more important than the micro; we might blow a game that we shouldn't here and there, but overall we're in a position to succeed.

I'm not in love with the guy, and things like the AFCCG loss are absolutely infuriating - I mean, we threw away a whole season due to poor planning there. But there are definitely a lot worse coaches and organizations out there.

ALLD
05-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Tomlin seems like a micromanager. When he's right he is right 110%. It's when he's wrong and he thinks he's right is his weakness. I am older than him, so I can understand why he makes some bad decisions. He needs to allow for more flexibility and changes in the game.

Tomlin is a good coach and is in the the top 10 in the NFL. I doubt he will ever be unemployed again unless by choice. He is no Chuck Noll, but who is?

fansince'76
05-15-2017, 04:21 PM
http://rs234.pbsrc.com/albums/ee284/tammy_61/cutepop.gif~c200

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
05-15-2017, 05:04 PM
If Tomlin decides once again to play the zone against Brady, Tomlin deserves to be fired.

His gameplan in the AFC Title game was not acceptable, this is as if he has not tried.

It would not have happened with Tom Coughlin or John Harbaugh!

It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to not have tried!

DesertSteel
05-15-2017, 11:04 PM
Great observation.