PDA

View Full Version : 4 reasons Joshua Dobbs will beat out Landry Jones for the Steelers' backup QB spot

Shoes
05-13-2017, 11:39 AM
You might not think the battle for the backup quarterback is terribly interesting, but for the Pittsburgh Steelers, the showdown between Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs should be particularly interesting. The Steelers have been patient with Jones for the past four seasons, but the addition of Dobbs this year means it is time to look to the future. Here are four reasons Dobbs can and will beat out Jones for the backup quarterback spot.

High football IQ

I suppose this could just say high IQ in general because Dobbs is highly intelligent. Thursday he graduated with his degree in aerospace engineering and showed up at minicamp the next day talking about getting the offense installed. Like it or not, even after all this time, when we’ve seen Jones on the field filling in for Ben Roethlisberger we’ve never seen a full install of the offense. Dobbs could change that.

Mobility

In today’s NFL, the defense must account for being able to impact the offense with your legs. Dobbs is highly athletic and can not only use his legs to extend passing plays but can turn a pass into a run in a hurry. Jones is a pure pocket passer who brings very little in terms of athleticism.

Known vs unknown

Pittsburgh only has the college film of Dobbs to go on, but even with that unknown, he might be a better option than Jones based on what we have seen. Jones has been Roethlisberger’s primary backup the past two seasons, and there is very little to get excited about. If what you know is available, and it isn’t great, why not take a chance on the higher upside of Dobbs?

Composure

One of the biggest shortcomings of Jones’ game is how he seems to fold under pressure. This was part of his game going all the way back to college, so no one should be surprised he struggles to deal with pressure in the NFL. Dobbs comes across as cool, calm and collected. If he can show that sort of composure in the preseason, that could go a long way toward earning the trust of the coaches

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/13/4-reasons-joshua-dobbs-will-beat-out-landry-jones-for-the-steelers-backup-quarterback-spot/

st33lersguy
05-13-2017, 11:55 AM
Dobbs may already be better than Jones and he has room to grow

Steeldude
05-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Dobbs may already be better than Jones and he has room to grow

I will give Dobbs one game to prove himself. If he fails in that one game then I will say he is the worst QB in the NFL. You have to apply the same standards given to Jones. Right? ; )

Shoes
05-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Since Ben won't be playing much pre-season, I'd let Jones start the first half of game 1 and Dobbs the 2nd half, then switch the rotation in game two with Dobbs in the 1st half, Jones the 2nd half depending on how training camp pans out.

Steeldude
05-13-2017, 12:34 PM
Since Ben won't be playing much pre-season, I'd let Jones start the first half of game 1 and Dobbs the 2nd half, then switch the rotation in game two with Dobbs in the 1st half, Jones the 2nd half depending on how taring camp pans out.

I agree.

GBMelBlount
05-13-2017, 12:36 PM
I will give Dobbs one game to prove himself. If he fails in that one game then I will say he is the worst QB in the NFL. You have to apply the same standards given to Jones. Right? ; )

LOL. Definitely some truth there.

I am curious what percentage of drafted quarterbacks make it in the NFL more than a few years as either a starter or backup?

While nothing would make me happier than Dobbs shining, the odds are that he won't.

ALLD
05-13-2017, 08:09 PM
At least the Steelers are moving away from broken-down made of glass QBs. Now if they could find a real starter more than once every 25 years we could be in business.

hawaiiansteeler
05-13-2017, 08:37 PM
I disagree, I don't think Joshua Dobbs who is a rookie with accuracy issues will beat out Landry Jones for the Steelers' backup QB spot.

BlackAndGold
05-13-2017, 09:37 PM
Dobb's surpassing Jones would be shocking.

steelreserve
05-13-2017, 10:46 PM
1. Jones sucks
2. Jones sucks
3. Jones sucks
4. Jones sucks donkey dick

There, I just summarized the backup QB competition in about 800 fewer words.

Edman
05-14-2017, 05:49 AM
At least the Steelers are moving away from broken-down made of glass QBs. Now if they could find a real starter more than once every 25 years we could be in business.

Well, Cowher isn't here anymore.

As long as the ownership remains QB-conscious, the Steelers won't go 25 years through a revolving door of not-QB's.

GBMelBlount
05-14-2017, 06:41 AM
I disagree, I don't think Joshua Dobbs who is a rookie with accuracy issues will beat out Landry Jones for the Steelers' backup QB spot.

Perhaps he is miscalculating his trajectory.

https://www.licensetutor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/iStock_000020676298_Small.jpg

86WARD
05-15-2017, 07:42 PM
If Dobbs is better than Jones, it's not by much...

ETL
05-15-2017, 08:25 PM
I disagree. I think Jones years of experience is of value and I would be way more comfortable with Jones as the back up than Dobbs.

pczach
05-16-2017, 06:14 AM
We still don't know what Dobbs can do yet. We'll see, but I'm giving him until his second year to start seeing anything out of him.

Jones has physical talent. His biggest problem has always been his mind....his ability to process information under pressure. He has always come up very small in the biggest games and at the biggest moments. It's who he has been as a quarterback. I don't know that his problem can ever be corrected. It's something you can't teach. You either have it or you don't.

We have seen him fold like an accordion coming off the bench in playoff games. He looks like someone off the street that hasn't touched a football in five years and doesn't know the playbook. That shouldn't happen with someone that has his talent and has been in this offense for basically his entire career. He's supposed to be a steady hand that can lead the ship without having to do anything spectacular, but he is usually a turnover waiting to happen....particularly in a big spot. It doesn't make Jones a bad guy, it just makes him a quarterback that isn't the long-term answer.

If Dobbs has the ability to deal with pressure and thrive in the moment, I have no problem saying that he will be a more valuable player than Jones can ever be......but that's a big IF. That remains to be seen. He has much to prove, but he deserves some time before we throw gas on him and light him on fire like so many do.

Born2Steel
05-16-2017, 08:34 AM
We still don't know what Dobbs can do yet. We'll see, but I'm giving him until his second year to start seeing anything out of him.

Jones has physical talent. His biggest problem has always been his mind....his ability to process information under pressure. He has always come up very small in the biggest games and at the biggest moments. It's who he has been as a quarterback. I don't know that his problem can ever be corrected. It's something you can't teach. You either have it or you don't.

We have seen him fold like an accordion coming off the bench in playoff games. He looks like someone off the street that hasn't touched a football in five years and doesn't know the playbook. That shouldn't happen with someone that has his talent and has been in this offense for basically his entire career. He's supposed to be a steady hand that can lead the ship without having to do anything spectacular, but he is usually a turnover waiting to happen....particularly in a big spot. It doesn't make Jones a bad guy, it just makes him a quarterback that isn't the long-term answer.

If Dobbs has the ability to deal with pressure and thrive in the moment, I have no problem saying that he will be a more valuable player than Jones can ever be......but that's a big IF. That remains to be seen. He has much to prove, but he deserves some time before we throw gas on him and light him on fire like so many do.

Perfect summation of Jones, IMO. Dobbs NEEDS to be better than that. For whatever issues Mettenberger had, he was better than that. Dobbs has pretty good potential. That's good enough for now. If that potential doesn't reach goal, or if greatness is not there, I don't think we hesitate in taking more QBs until we find our guy.

86WARD
05-16-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm not convinced that Dobbs could handle pressure in college. His questionable third down percentages could be an issue. Turns out they may not be as bad as originally thought but still not a great picture.

Regardless...Jones, Dobbs...neither is the next Ben Roethlisberger.

Edman
05-16-2017, 12:13 PM

You say that like its a bad thing.

I don't want the "next" Ben Roethlisberger. I want the first Joshua Dobbs.

I'm rooting for Dobbs to succeed, just like I wanted Ben to succeed in 2004 and Landry Jones to succeed when he comes in, because it means more success for the Steelers.

I hate that whole "become the next X" when describing a new player. There is only one Ben Roethlisberger, and there will never be another one like him.

Born2Steel
05-16-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm not convinced that Dobbs could handle pressure in college. His questionable third down percentages could be an issue. Turns out they may not be as bad as originally thought but still not a great picture.

Only need to look if his game translates to our schemes. His issues are not accuracy so much as mechanics. Yes, that creates accuracy issues, but from a place that CAN be fixed. At this point, arm strength won't fix downfield accuracy as much as correcting footwork, for example. Plus, QBs like Matt Ryan didn't suddenly get more accurate with his long ball, he got a receiver named Julio that can chase and make plays. Just my personal opinion here, I believe Dobbs can effectively run this offense given time to learn. With the weapons we have, and the growth and success we have seen on defense, we don't NEED the next BB. Would be awesome though, yes.

Mojouw
05-16-2017, 04:00 PM
His third down % could be an issue, or it could be related to his total lack of weapons and healthy offensive lineman for most of college. I think it was Steelers Depot or somewhere else that kinda moved around the numbers to look at when Dobbs wasn't playing behind turnstiles and had someone to throw to - looked much better. His arm also looked stronger in 2015 when he consistently set and planted his feet - again behind a better line.

Before everyone freaks out about how you can't always have a good line and blah blah blah -- Dak Prescott gets a ton of publicity and accolades for being a ONE read QB behind a terrific line. I'm a Prescott fan, but he read one maybe two options on a single side of the field and then either threw it away or ran out of bounds. Dominant line and great weapons can make a QB look really really good.

Dobbs seems to have a chance to be a better pro than he was in college. Still don't think he is a franchise guy, but he might be the best back-up this team has had since a healthy Lefty.

teegre
05-16-2017, 09:18 PM
Completion percentage in college is the best indicator of NFL success. Below 60% in college generally equals failure in the NFL.

Dobbs:
59%
63%
59%
63%

Now, mind you that Dobbs had a worse O-line than BB had in 2008. That alone should boost those percentages up 2-3% each. Add to that that Dobbs was excellent with pressure in his face (something a lot of QBs are not). And, he has an excellent long-ball.

All of those positives aside, he was not good at hitting short routes.

ANSLYSIS:
Dobbs is essentially the same player as Deshaun Watson... but, taken three rounds later.

SUMMATION:
I could see him surpassing Jones, because as smart as Jones is/how well Jones knows the playbook, he is hesitant when it comes to making the right throw (and being hesitant is just as bad as not knowing where to throw the ball/making the wrong read).

Plus, Dobbs has all of the same strengths as BB (and, honestly, the same weaknesses)... and since the offense is tailored to BB's strengths, Dobbs should do fairly well.

Mojouw
05-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Completion percentage in college is the best indicator of NFL success. Below 60% in college generally equals failure in the NFL.

Dobbs:
59%
63%
59%
63%

Now, mind you that Dobbs had a worse O-line than BB had in 2008. That alone should boost those percentages up 2-3% each. Add to that that Dobbs was excellent with pressure in his face (something a lot of QBs are not). And, he has an excellent long-ball.

ANSLYSIS:
Dobbs is essentially the same player as Deshaun Watson... but, taken three rounds later.

SUMMATION:
I could see him surpassing Jones, because as smart as Jones is/how well Jones knows the playbook, he is hesitant when it comes to making the right throw (and being hesitant is just as bad as not knowing where to throw the ball/making the wrong read).

Plus, Dobbs has all of the same strengths as BB (and, honestly, the same weaknesses)... and since the offense is tailored to BB's strengths, Dobbs should do fairly well.

This thread is now over because there is no way to improve on this post. Well done sir you win the forum for the week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
05-17-2017, 11:52 AM
You say that like its a bad thing.

I don't want the "next" Ben Roethlisberger. I want the first Joshua Dobbs.

I'm rooting for Dobbs to succeed, just like I wanted Ben to succeed in 2004 and Landry Jones to succeed when he comes in, because it means more success for the Steelers.

I hate that whole "become the next X" when describing a new player. There is only one Ben Roethlisberger, and there will never be another one like him.

Meaning...he's not the next franchise QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'd like to see him succeed but I don't think he will. He just looks very raw and very uncomfortable playing behind center.

Born2Steel
05-17-2017, 12:09 PM
The number 1 reason Dobbs could beat out Jones for #2 on the QB depth chart should be the fact that he was drafted at all. If there was ANY confidence in Jones moving forward, we would have entered TC/preseason with BB, Jones, Mettenberger. Mettenberger was cut immediately, and, IMO, we can expect Jones to get pushed back to the 3rd guy once again. Maybe not this preseason, as has been talked about as well, but by next season is my guess. I think we take an early round QB next draft and suddenly we don't look as thin at QB heading into the 2018 season.

tube517
05-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Dobbs:
59%
63%
59%
63%

ANSLYSIS:

SUMMATION:

Nonsense, Deshaun can't build a drone. Get outta here!!!! :chuckle:

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
05-17-2017, 01:49 PM
Dobbs could do very well in this offense. With his running skills and the weapons we have, it would be harder for other teams to put a spy on him. If they don't he will burn you on the ground, If they do then some talent mofu is going to be open.

05-17-2017, 01:55 PM
In fact him and Bell alone could give defenses nightmares.

Moose
05-18-2017, 08:41 AM
I'd love to see a young, upcoming player 'finally' set Landry back and prepare to take the reigns when Ben has to sit. Definitely time to start molding a youngster for QB.

Edman
05-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Meaning...he's not the next franchise QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I'd like to see him succeed but I don't think he will. He just looks very raw and very uncomfortable playing behind center.

Makes sense. Dobbs looks more like a Kordell Stewart than a Ben Roethlisberger, but we'll see.

I believe any quarterback can be developed and groomed properly in the right system.

Kordell wasn't good, but you have to admit he was horribly mismanaged and poorly coached. He got by on his athletic skill alone.

Born2Steel
05-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Makes sense. Dobbs looks more like a Kordell Stewart than a Ben Roethlisberger, but we'll see.

I believe any quarterback can be developed and groomed properly in the right system.

Kordell wasn't good, but you have to admit he was horribly mismanaged and poorly coached. He got by on his athletic skill alone.

The Steelers attempted to play Kordell in the "Slash" role. Kordell Stewart was the one that ended that by refusing. He said he only wanted to play QB. Everyone else seem to know he was not an NFL caliber starting QB, but he thought differently. IMO, he could have been a bigger star than he was if he could have been more of a team guy.

86WARD
05-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Every time I think of Stewart and that Slash role...I could only imagine what could have been had he stayed in that role.

teegre
05-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Nonsense, Deshaun can't build a drone. Get outta here!!!! :chuckle:

Yea... but, Deshaun can grow a beard. :wink02:

Craic
05-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Every time I think of Stewart and that Slash role...I could only imagine what could have been had he stayed in that role.

You and the rest of Steelers nation, I think. To be honest, at the time I was all for him playing QB full time since we had nobody. But after a couple of years at the position, well . . .

teegre
05-18-2017, 10:09 PM

Yep

He would have been a HOFer. His career would have been like Darren Sproles's, but instead of kick return yards, Slash would have had insane receiving yards.

Imagine if they had drafted Brees in 2001 (like I wanted), and put Slash as the Sproles role (a role which Brees used to its fullest). We wouldn't have lost the AFCCG in 2001, that's for sure.

05-18-2017, 11:23 PM

Kordell wasn't good, but you have to admit he was horribly mismanaged and poorly coached. He got by on his athletic skill alone. Sorry no! we don't have to agree to your opinion! Stewart suck ass as a QB and remember Bill R in the playoff game against us smacking his helmet to tell Kordell to think! He had all the help in the world to help him. Coaching as well but talent wasn't there at him being QB. Would have been a great WR but was to good for it! Tebow was the same way and could have been a great TE. The ego's of them two ruined there NFL careers!

86WARD
05-19-2017, 04:08 AM
Tebow definitely would not have been a great TE...lol. He had no blocking experience, his hands werent that great, he's not a route runner. The only thing he had was the look...lol. Even as an H-Back, his strengths were running outside...he wasn't good running between the tackles, not a fit at all. But that's a debate for another thread.

Downer should've made Stewart stay with the Slash role or just let him go. After seeing what he did as a full time starter, they should've moved on. In that way he was mismanaged.

Edman
05-19-2017, 05:07 PM
The Steelers attempted to play Kordell in the "Slash" role. Kordell Stewart was the one that ended that by refusing. He said he only wanted to play QB. Everyone else seem to know he was not an NFL caliber starting QB, but he thought differently. IMO, he could have been a bigger star than he was if he could have been more of a team guy.

And our alternatives those years were Mike Tomczak and Jim Miller. I honestly don't blame Korkie for thinking like that and I don't blame the Steelers for taking a shot on him.

Even if Kordell stayed "Slash", it wouldn't have made much of a difference. Cowher Power was our coach, and he had absolutely no respect for the Quarterback position.

Kordell was definitely not an NFL-caliber QB, but he also didn't have an NFL- caliber Coach. Cowher switched OC's and Offenses like he changed clothes for years with Kordell.

Born2Steel
05-20-2017, 04:24 PM
OK....Taking the Dobbs/Jones conversation to the Cowher was a bad coach conversation somehow. Fin, lets dig up facts. A coach that takes his team to the playoffs consistently, plays in multiple AFCCGs, 2 trips to the SB, all without a 'great' QB. Hmmmm, does sound like a bad coach. Please just stop.

polamalubeast
05-22-2017, 03:46 PM
I would be very surprised that it happens even if Dobbs is unbelievable in the pre-season game

- - - Updated - - -

OK....Taking the Dobbs/Jones conversation to the Cowher was a bad coach conversation somehow. Fin, lets dig up facts. A coach that takes his team to the playoffs consistently, plays in multiple AFCCGs, 2 trips to the SB, all without a 'great' QB. Hmmmm, does sound like a bad coach. Please just stop.

Agreed

I mean, if Cowher would have been coach for another 10 years, he would probably have 250 wins and he would easily be at the HOF.