PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Steelers Stock Watch – WR Sammie Coates – Stock Down

Shoes
05-12-2017, 02:08 PM
I’m not sure there is going to be much contention with this stock evaluation, but in my estimation, the value of Sammie Coates has pretty much gone nowhere but down since about six games into his second season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/2017-steelers-stock-watch-wr-sammie-coates-stock/

DesertSteel
05-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Yeah it seems his confidence is fragile and now spiraling downward.

Craic
05-12-2017, 03:15 PM
I think it's unfair to give Coates any kind of grade but an Incomplete for last year because of his injuries. Regardless of any other circumstances, if you don't have confidence in your physical body to complete a task, there isn't much else you'll be able to do. Now, a year later, that is in the past (or should be—if it's not, then he's too foolish to be an NFL player as he should've had the surgery if he didn't). When he walks into camp this summer, it will be with a couple of months of OTAs behind him (which means catching the ball and testing his fingers). So I fully expect to see the Sammie Coates of the first four weeks of last season in camp.

With that said, I would still agree is stock is down. It is true of every WR not named AB because we drafted someone who very easily could be our next Hines Ward-type player—a hard blocking, hard hitting, gritting WR who has the ability to become a very good NFL WR. While he may not be great, he does look the type that quietly goes about his work and ends up being the backbone of the WR core while others get the press and the flashes.

If I had the choose, I'd say either Bryant, the FA, or DHB gets cut this year. Coates has a ton of talent and he's young. If he is healthy there is no reason not to keep him around. His catch percentage almost the same as DHB's career catch percentage (and that includes Coates's games with an injured hand), so there is every reason to think he'll surpass DHB in catching percentage once he's healthy. In fact, Coates's catching percentage until he injured his fingers was 68 percent, four percentage points higher than Hines Ward's career catch percentage. So, if Coates is healthy, he gets the nod over DHB. Bryant is gone, IMO, if he fails another drug test, or if his attitude isn't one that works within the organization. However, if that doesn't happen, then he most definitely gets the nod over DHB. I think Rogers plays a different role than everyone else, so I don't see him in the fight. Although, if Ayers can step it up, he might challenge Rogers. But otherwise, if he's able to play on the PS, I see Ayers going back there or being let go as well.

The one caveat to DHB, however, is special teams. If we can't find anyone to fulfill his role on special teams at his level, then it just may keep him on the team despite having to let go a WR with more upside.

steelreserve
05-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Coates needs to broaden his skill set as a WR overall, or he is not long for this team, or the league for that matter. When it comes down to it, even when healthy, he showed he could do one thing, which was get open deep about once per game against what turned out to be struggling DBs. Injury or no injury, he needs to be able to do more "#2 receiver" things like running middle routes, making moves for extra yards on shorter plays, and making catches in traffic. We saw a very limited variety of plays from him, and we need those kinds of things to run a good passing offense day in and day out. It wasn't just that he hurt his hand and dropped a few passes.

It did seem like his attitude after JuJu was drafted was the right one - got to work hard to make the lineup. So, hoping that pays off for him and us.

Side note, I was high on DHB as a fallback option last offseason because of his performance filling in during Bryant's original suspension. But he was really disappointing last year. We probably will keep him for special teams, but between him dropping off and Coates still being unproven, it makes a lot of sense why we drafted a receiver.

Mojouw
05-13-2017, 02:03 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/low-percentage-targets-contributed-low-percentage-catch-rate-sammie-coates/

Coates was a one trick pony even prior to the injury -- but that trick was ludicrously good. He was targeted 3.5-6 yards further downfield than other "deep threats". As Steel Reserve said, part of that is because Coates doesn't really run the rest of the routes confidently or is that competently? Whatever - needs to be better.

If either (maybe both) of Coates or Hunter are willing to gun on special teams, I don't see how DHB makes the roster unless he starts catching way more than he ever has before...

pczach
05-13-2017, 02:55 PM
Coates returned kicks last year and continued to play through his injury. I think he's tough enough and eager enough to cover kicks if need be. He's certainly built for it with his speed and power.

I truly believe it's time to move on from DHB and have the most talented receivers on the roster. The Steelers have been losing playoff games because of huge injuries and the players behind those starters haven't been good enough to step up in a big spot. Some of those players have more experience, and they have also added more talent.

Fans and Mike Tomlin can say what they want about the value of special teams, but they haven't been losing playoff games because of kick coverage. They've been losing because Ben hasn't had anyone he can trust to throw the ball to other than AB when guys go down or are suspended, and Bell getting hurt. Having big time players as your 4th and 5th wide receivers and reliable and talented backup RBs is much more important than keeping an older, very limited WR because he plays special teams IMO.

I love that DHB plays so hard and has given it his all while here, but if the roster is truly being upgraded there needs to be more explosive, yet reliable talent to make plays in big games. We've seen the best he has and he's not the answer. It's time for newer, younger blood.

FrancoLambert
05-13-2017, 03:37 PM
His stock is down after last season but he's got too much talent, size, and speed to give up on.
If a receiver is playing with multiple broken fingers dropping balls shouldn't be a surprise. He started out strong when he was fully healthy.
As for comparing his ceiling (yet to be determined) with DHB's (fully reached) whose biggest impact is felt on special teams and not as a WR, it should be an easy decision.
I'd be disappointed if DHB makes the roster over Coates....I'm hoping that the competition at WR uncovers enough younger talent to make DHB expendable.