PDA

View Full Version : 5 Good Free Agent Fits For Steelers?

GBMelBlount
05-10-2017, 10:35 AM
I should preface this article by pointing out that the remaining crop of NFL free agents are still free agents for a variety of reasons, the most obvious of which is the fact that many teams have deemed these players less valuable than other free agents or NFL draftees. At this point, the cupboard is decidedly bare.

Nonetheless, the list of available free agents includes former Pro Bowlers, first-round draft choices, and several players with legitimate Hall of Fame credentials. Teams in win-now mode—teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers, who need all the help that they can get to maintain their status as a Super Bowl contender—can benefit from adding veteran players late in the free agency period. Best of all, the majority of these free agents would likely only sign one-year deals, which makes them essentially risk-free. Here are five I think the Steelers should consider:

S, Tre Boston
Jeff wrote about this earlier, so I’ll direct you to his article. In short, Sean Davis and Mike Mitchell will be the starters, but the Steelers desperately need some depth.

(Continued)

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2017/5/9/15570008/5-veteran-free-agents-who-would-be-good-fits-for-the-steelers-nfl-free-agency-rumors

Born2Steel
05-10-2017, 12:46 PM
I would maybe narrow the list down to last cuts before adding any more competition to the DB room. Depth at ILB is not a bad idea.

steelreserve
05-10-2017, 12:47 PM
If we bring anyone in as a free agent, it'll probably be someone who's cut from another team in training camp, or for depth at a position where one of our own players gets injured in training camp.

BlackAndGold
05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
I would like a signing of Boston.

For ILB depth, I really hope they look into acquiring Mychal Kendricks from Philly. Just hope they could find a deal where Philly could eat some of his money. 5th round pick, Ayers, Steven Johnson for Kendricks.

The loss of Timmons should bring a 5th round comp pick next year. So trading a 5th wouldn't hurt.

Rotorhead
05-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Any of those FA's sound good to me. We need some depth in some areas so a 1 year deal for them is a great idea.

86WARD
05-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Any interest in ex-Cardinals LB Daryl Washington?

pczach
05-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Any interest in ex-Cardinals LB Daryl Washington?

He's been suspended from football since 2014 for substance abuse issues. I just don't know that the team would want to add another player to the roster that they're not sure they can count on.

I hope Washington has conquered his demons and has a successful career ahead of him.

How do they even know what he's capable of after three years out of the league and no football activities at all. I think it would be a real longshot.

86WARD
05-12-2017, 07:44 AM
They don't. But he was a pro bowl talent before that they could possibly get in a fairly team friendly contract?