PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Steelers Stock Watch – CB Senquez Golson – Stock Down

Shoes
05-09-2017, 08:06 AM
With the 2017 NFL Draft now over and the bulk of the heavy lifting done with regard to the roster building process now out of the way, it is easier to begin to take stock of where the Pittsburgh Steelers stand at certain positions, and what the implications might be of a variety of moves for certain players.
And take stock is what we shall do, as every move has ramifications up and down the roster, so now we will take a look at some specific players and see how the team’s moves during the course of the offseason thus far, and more specifically since the draft, have sent their stock rising, falling, or breaking even.
Player: CB Senquez Golson
Stock Value: Down
When you are a young player who has spent your first two seasons on injured reserve and the team in the previous two drafts has added three additional players at your position, then it’s hard for your stock not to drop. That is the scenario that third-year cornerback Senquez Golson is currently starting down as we grind down the days of Phase Two of the offseason program.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/2017-steelers-stock-watch-cb-senquez-golson-stock/

DesertSteel
05-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Have a healthy preseason and show athleticism and promise and watch his stock soar. It's all about 'what have you done for me lately.'

ALLD
05-09-2017, 03:25 PM
They didn't draft 2 CBs because they think he is gonna blow the barn doors down. He was too small to begin with.

Dwinsgames
05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
2 injury plagues seasons for a guy who barely makes the grade in the size department 3 years removed form the last meaningful snaps played at a lower level of competition than he will be expected to play against with a roster filled with more recent acquisitions at the position and basically having to relearn football moves and instincts ....

I agree him making the team is NOT a given even if healthy that is a mountain of things to over come

steelreserve
05-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Just like Bryant, it would be great if he produced something for us, but you can't count on it.

Unlike Bryant, he hasn't even gotten past the first step, which is giving us reason to believe he CAN produce anything. Still a total question mark at best, with the obvious negative that multiple significant injuries don't help your chances.

DesertSteel
05-09-2017, 10:01 PM
They didn't draft 2 CBs because they think he is gonna blow the barn doors down. He was too small to begin with.
Has he shrunk since they took him in the second round two years ago?

- - - Updated - - -

Unlike Bryant, he hasn't even gotten past the first step,
To be fair to the kid, he can't help freak injuries but Bryant had full control over missing 23 games because of weed. You'll never get me to think more highly of Bryant than a guy who's had hard breaks.

steelreserve
05-10-2017, 11:03 AM
To be fair to the kid, he can't help freak injuries but Bryant had full control over missing 23 games because of weed. You'll never get me to think more highly of Bryant than a guy who's had hard breaks.

Whether Golson can control it or not, this is his third year on the team and we still have no evidence whether or not he can get it done on the field. It doesn't really matter whose fault that is. I just don't think holding my breath waiting for him to make an impact is a high-percentage move at this point. I hope I'm wrong.

I don't think highly of Bryant either; in fact he's probably my least favorite player on the roster. He's proven he's a meathead and shows every sign of being a total dick. Would likely be one of those guys who's in and out of jail his whole life if not for sports. But unlike Golson, we know he can play at a high level. Pro football is not a nice-guy contest. All I'm saying is that despite being an asshole, Bryant is likely more of an asset to the team. Again, I hope I'm wrong, and not because he gets suspended again or something.

Born2Steel
05-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Right now I can't think of either of them as 'members' of this team. Bryant and Golson both have a lot of proving to do, IMO. I think JuJu is here to compete and play if/when Bryant falls down again. And Sensabaugh and Sutton are here because Gay has fallen off noticeably and Golson has yet to make it through a TC. I hope for the best for both of them, but this is football, time to show up or go home.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Right now I can't think of either of them as 'members' of this team. Bryant and Golson both have a lot of proving to do, IMO. I think JuJu is here to compete and play if/when Bryant falls down again. And Sensabaugh and Sutton are here because Gay has fallen off noticeably and Golson has yet to make it through a TC. I hope for the best for both of them, but this is football, time to show up or go home.

off topic to a degree but I fully expect JuJu to push Eli for playing time in the slot ...

if he is the week 1 starter ( JuJu ) I will not be surprised , but won't be shocked if he is not either but believe he will see plenty of action as a rookie even early on and that is not a swing at Eli in any way I just believe JuJu is a superior player and you should always try and get your best 11 on the field as much as possible

Born2Steel
05-10-2017, 04:04 PM
off topic to a degree but I fully expect JuJu to push Eli for playing time in the slot ...

if he is the week 1 starter ( JuJu ) I will not be surprised , but won't be shocked if he is not either but believe he will see plenty of action as a rookie even early on and that is not a swing at Eli in any way I just believe JuJu is a superior player and you should always try and get your best 11 on the field as much as possible

I think Eli will have to play in the slot. JuJu can play in or out. I don't think he was drafted to compete with Rogers. I think he is insurance for Bryant first. If Bryant makes it, fine. I see JuJu, Rogers, and AB as the only WRs with 'guaranteed' roster spots this season.

steelreserve
05-10-2017, 04:14 PM

That's pretty much the gist of it. They're both in the same boat for very different reasons.

Craic
05-10-2017, 04:41 PM

Gotta disagree with you there. Bryant has played at this level and shown he is able to not only succeed, but to excel. He's cleared every hurdle put in front of him since his suspension. There's no reason not to think of him as a member of this team. Is he still a risk? Sure. But he's definitely a member. Golson, on the other hand, has shown no ability yet to play at this level because of his injuries. He's ridden the PUP/IR list almost his entire career.

Dwinsgames
05-10-2017, 04:49 PM
I think Eli will have to play in the slot. JuJu can play in or out. I don't think he was drafted to compete with Rogers. I think he is insurance for Bryant first. If Bryant makes it, fine. I see JuJu, Rogers, and AB as the only WRs with 'guaranteed' roster spots this season.

oh while I think he is " insurance " I also expect them to get him on the field and IF Bryant returns in form and stays clean Eli's spot becomes the most logical lineup spot to get him reps and JuJu is slot capable ....strongest 3 WR on paper are AB, Bryant, JuJu ..... granted he has to prove it first at this level but that is what I expect to play out ...

JuJu being the top backup on the outside but getting the most reps inside and Eli basically being his backup if he goes down or is forced outside ...

with the lack of a Move TE ( assuming Greene will fail us at some point ) we could see more 4 wide formations as well

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta disagree with you there. Bryant has played at this level and shown he is able to not only succeed, but to excel. He's cleared every hurdle put in front of him since his suspension. There's no reason not to think of him as a member of this team. Is he still a risk? Sure. But he's definitely a member. Golson, on the other hand, has shown no ability yet to play at this level because of his injuries. He's ridden the PUP/IR list almost his entire career.

well there was that 1 weekend where he practiced .... outside of that a whole lot of nothing ( 1 fricken weekend out of a couple seasons )

DesertSteel
05-10-2017, 09:53 PM
He's cleared every hurdle put in front of him since his suspension. Except to play in an actual game.

Craic
05-11-2017, 01:54 AM
Except to play in an actual game.

There's been no games yet this year.

pczach
05-11-2017, 06:01 AM
I love off season threads like this.

Which player that hasn't been on the field in an actual game in what feels like years is the most likely to let the team down again..........the guy that smoked weed and got caught so many times that he was suspended for an entire year, and is one step away from being out of the NFL forever.......or the poor bastard that has been hurt in the preseason in his first two years and hasn't sniffed a regular season game in two seasons??????

Decisions......Decisions!!!!! :toofunny:

Mojouw
05-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Which player that hasn't been on the field in an actual game in what feels like years is the most likely to let the team down again..........the guy that smoked weed and got caught so many times that he was suspended for an entire year, and is one step away from being out of the NFL forever.......or the poor bastard that has been hurt in the preseason in his first two years and hasn't sniffed a regular season game in two seasons??????

And further, let's go through a series of contortions to justify cutting players who are hurt because they "don't work hard enough" or "aren't contributors" BUT make sure we come up with ways to defend Bryant because we know the dude can be the next Randy Moss.

Nothing wrong with it, but its the same for NFL Teams as it is for NFL Fans - talent trumps all and what have you done for me lately? I wish everyone would just admit it.

Six Rings
05-11-2017, 10:22 AM
His stock is way down. I doubt we could trade our 2nd round pick for a 5th round pick today. Golson is damaged goods, but at least we have other options if he does not pan out.

DesertSteel
05-11-2017, 11:41 AM
The real question is: what is the medical on him TODAY? I'm not counting on him, but I'm also not dismissing the possibility that he can come back from two unrelated injuries. I have higher hopes for him than Green. Concussions have lots of long range complications.

The good news is that as a fan it makes no difference whether any of us "count on him" or not. The only people that need to concern themselves with that are the personnel guys.

Craic
05-11-2017, 01:52 PM
And further, let's go through a series of contortions to justify cutting players who are hurt because they "don't work hard enough" or "aren't contributors" BUT make sure we come up with ways to defend Bryant because we know the dude can be the next Randy Moss.

Nothing wrong with it, but its the same for NFL Teams as it is for NFL Fans - talent trumps all and what have you done for me lately? I wish everyone would just admit it.
Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was, then to clarify, I wasn't justifying anything. I was simply stating of the two, I consider one a part of the team over the other simply because of his past work on the 53 man roster. That has no implications going forward, except that Golson still needs to show he can play at this level while Bryant already has shown it.

Mojouw
05-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was, then to clarify, I wasn't justifying anything. I was simply stating of the two, I consider one a part of the team over the other simply because of his past work on the 53 man roster. That has no implications going forward, except that Golson still needs to show he can play at this level while Bryant already has shown it.

Nope. It wasn't really directed at anyone specifically. I just always get grumpy at this point in the off-season when all the NFL coverage and discussion comes across as mostly TMZ for sports and everyone goes on and one about the motivations and mindsets of people like they really know what that is.

Totally correct that Golson has to demonstrate he can play in the NFL. I feel that he is going to end up in that "what could've been" category and he is out of the league in 18 months. Hoping that isn't the case, but it just feels like it is too long away from football during a critical developmental period for Golson to ever get back ahead of the curve.

Dwinsgames
05-11-2017, 03:16 PM
The real question is: what is the medical on him TODAY?

not sure it matters as his medical report last year at this time was good to go too . but it did not stay that way long enough to accomplish anything at all

he is 3 years away from his last meaningful snap .... think on that a moment

then consider those snaps where at College level not NFL level ......

meaning a learning curve was ahead , speed of the game all that ....

you think that curve somehow got smaller ? I don't , in fact the opposite is true from my perspective its not only large but got larger by a significant measure ...

I do believe he is hanging onto his NFL dream and career by a thread and he will be lucky to ever play a meaningful down in the NFL at this juncture ...

don't get me wrong I am routing for him but just have little faith in it coming to fruition based on the circumstances

FrancoLambert
05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
To maintain sanity and a sense of reality, I don't view either as a player I can count on next season.

One for chronic injury and rust, the other for lacking discipline and self-control.

If one contributes next year....good. If both contribute next year....great. If neither contribute next year.... no loss, since they added nothing last season. :pop2:

tube517
05-11-2017, 10:00 PM
To maintain sanity and a sense of reality, I don't view either as a player I can count on next season.

One for chronic injury and rust, the other for lacking discipline and self-control.

If one contributes next year....good. If both contribute next year....great. If neither contribute next year.... no loss, since they added nothing last season. :pop2:
In addition I will add Green. I would not count on those 3 - Green, Bryant, or Golson. If they do contribute - great.

DesertSteel
05-11-2017, 11:54 PM
not sure it matters as his medical report last year at this time was good to go too . but it did not stay that way long enough to accomplish anything at all

he is 3 years away from his last meaningful snap .... think on that a moment

then consider those snaps where at College level not NFL level ......

meaning a learning curve was ahead , speed of the game all that ....

you think that curve somehow got smaller ? I don't , in fact the opposite is true from my perspective its not only large but got larger by a significant measure ...

I do believe he is hanging onto his NFL dream and career by a thread and he will be lucky to ever play a meaningful down in the NFL at this juncture ...

don't get me wrong I am routing for him but just have little faith in it coming to fruition based on the circumstances
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

It does matter what his medical is today. Football is a violent game. Injuries happen. He's had two bad ones. Hopefully he never has another and he uses all the bashing as motivation.

Born2Steel
05-12-2017, 09:00 AM

It is exactly that though isn't it? An offseason thread about stuff you don't talk about during the season, mainly due to other things to talk about. We have the new guy signing threads, the preliminary who makes the 53 thread, and the offshoot of threads about who should be or should not be considered. Standard fare I'd say. At least we're not seeing threads about players getting arrested yet. Just fans reaching for anything to talk football about.

Dwinsgames
05-12-2017, 01:33 PM
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

It does matter what his medical is today. Football is a violent game. Injuries happen. He's had two bad ones. Hopefully he never has another and he uses all the bashing as motivation.

no problem captain obvious we all know football is a violent game but your boy hasn't even been able to make it to the violent part ...so there is that

DesertSteel
05-12-2017, 02:11 PM
no problem captain obvious we all know football is a violent game but your boy hasn't even been able to make it to the violent part ...so there is that
A. He's not 'my boy' and B. I have enough common sense not to prop up somebody who makes a voluntary decision to miss 23 games and bash a guy who's legitimately injured. And C. I hope he does well, but I don't 'count on him' or anyone else for that matter. Football is a game of attrition. D. This is all obviously obvious

Craic
05-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Nope. It wasn't really directed at anyone specifically. I just always get grumpy at this point in the off-season when all the NFL coverage and discussion comes across as mostly TMZ for sports and everyone goes on and one about the motivations and mindsets of people like they really know what that is.

Totally correct that Golson has to demonstrate he can play in the NFL. I feel that he is going to end up in that "what could've been" category and he is out of the league in 18 months. Hoping that isn't the case, but it just feels like it is too long away from football during a critical developmental period for Golson to ever get back ahead of the curve.

Ahh, to the first paragraph, yeah, absolutely.

To the second, it's definitely possible. On the other hand, he's only 23. A couple of years of maturity and being around the NFL before ever stepping foot on the field can only help him mentally. Also, I'd imagine he pretty much knows the playbook by now (or he better). So that should be a positive for him as well. To step out onto the field and play a game pretty much as a rookie, but with the maturity and time around the NFL as well as a good knowledge of the defense might be a boost that enables him to mature as a player faster than if he would have started his first year. Granted, there's things he can only learn on the field and that's lost no matter what he does, but if plays it right and his body is up to the task, I'm not sure that he can't meet or surpass his trajectory had he not been injured by year three or four on the field. That's put him at 26 with half a decade or more of good football left.

Dwinsgames
05-12-2017, 03:19 PM
A. He's not 'my boy' and B. I have enough common sense not to prop up somebody who makes a voluntary decision to miss 23 games and bash a guy who's legitimately injured. And C. I hope he does well, but I don't 'count on him' or anyone else for that matter. Football is a game of attrition. D. This is all obviously obvious

A. you sure seem to jump at defending him ....
B.I haven't propped up Bryant at all ... if saying he is one of the 3 most talented WR's on the team is propping him up color me guilty but that's all I have done , truth is the truth

DesertSteel
05-12-2017, 03:48 PM
A. you sure seem to jump at defending him ....
B.I haven't propped up Bryant at all ... if saying he is one of the 3 most talented WR's on the team is propping him up color me guilty but that's all I have done , truth is the truth
I'm defending him in the sense that some are ready to throw him under the bus and back over him. IMO he has about a good of a chance to stay healthy and contribute as Bryant does to stay off the weed and remain active. The difference is that the former is a choice and the latter is probably killing the player not to be out there. So yeah, based on the posts I see related to these two, I am defending him on principle.

Iron Steeler
05-13-2017, 08:22 PM
Take it easy in practice... ley it rip in preseason.

Dont injure yourself during camp .