PDA

View Full Version : Steelers TE Ladarius Green Participating In Phase Two Of Offseason Program

tube517
05-03-2017, 07:21 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/05/steelers-te-ladarius-green-participating-phase-two-offseason-program/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Steelers are currently in Phase Two of their annual offseason program and while it’s hard to read too much into it at this point, Green was photographed recently by the team while going through some conditioning drills. Regardless, that’s a positive development.

Still a long way to go...

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/23638/hello-steelers-weapons-ladarius-green-back-on-field-martavis-bryant-close

One player who wants to be on the field is Martavis Bryant, who's under conditional reinstatement with the NFL. Bryant was not in attendance for Monday's start of Phase 2, but I'm told he expects to be soon.

Bryant, who served a season-long suspension for violation of the league's substance abuse policy, can participate in team activities but must arrange clinical resources in Pittsburgh before participating in preseason games. Bryant can be in the Steelers' facility and attend meetings.

86WARD
05-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Posted two hours ago. Probably injured by now...

AtlantaDan
05-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Someone in Vegas should post odds on whether Sidney Crosby or Green is going to be the first to play in their next game

Not a shot at Crosby, just an observation that recoveries do not get easier with additional concussions

Rotorhead
05-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Positive sign, hopefully he can stay healthy (for both the team and himself). Last year there was a noticeable improvement when he did play.

Count Steeler
05-03-2017, 11:03 AM

Have the Steelers not purged their locker rooms of the Leftwich virus?

SteelMember
05-03-2017, 11:19 AM

Tough crowd... lol

SteelMember
05-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Someone in Vegas should post odds on whether Sidney Crosby or Green is going to be the first to play in their next game

Not a shot at Crosby, just an observation that recoveries do not get easier with additional concussions

I honestly think the Crosby has more of a neck injury, but you are right about concussions. Sidney still had "dizziness" for weeks before they would sigh off on him returning. And really, all they have to report is upper or lower body injury... almost as vague as a Patriots report.

Steeldude
05-03-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't even think of Green being on the team. Also if he is on the field doesn't that mean it has to be a pass play?

GBMelBlount
05-03-2017, 09:09 PM
I don't even think of Green being on the team. Also if he is on the field doesn't that mean it has to be a pass play?

Unfortunately, I really don't either.

Shoes
05-05-2017, 10:23 PM

That's how I see it. You can add Parasite Golson also, a guy who hasn't made it through a training camp and hasn't played football in 3 years. Not a bad deal for doing nothing.

5-12-15 Signed a 4 year 4,001 mil contract, 2.221 mil guaranteed, 1.169 mil signing bonus, 2017- 615 k, 2018-708K

Mojouw
05-06-2017, 12:09 AM
How is either situation a bad thing? Okay so cap ramifications. Whatever. Neither Golson or Green is financially tying the franchises hands. Best case is you get a dominant move TE who slots in behind Gronk as the most terrifying seam option in the league. And a ballhawking 3rd CB. Both are cheap and in a healthy reality vastly outperform their cap hits. Worst case is the Steelers reach injury settlements and by 2019 both are off the books. How can the team lose here?

Real problems could exist. They could be counting on Mike Glennon to be a franchise QB. They could be counting on Eddie Lacy to anchor the run game. They could be counting on Calvin Pryor to stabilize the safety spot. They could be counting on Tavon Austin to be a #1 WR.

This is small beer as the expression goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoes
05-06-2017, 12:31 AM
How is either situation a bad thing? Okay so cap ramifications. Whatever. Neither Golson or Green is financially tying the franchises hands. Best case is you get a dominant move TE who slots in behind Gronk as the most terrifying seam option in the league. And a ballhawking 3rd CB. Both are cheap and in a healthy reality vastly outperform their cap hits. Worst case is the Steelers reach injury settlements and by 2019 both are off the books. How can the team lose here?

Real problems could exist. They could be counting on Mike Glennon to be a franchise QB. They could be counting on Eddie Lacy to anchor the run game. They could be counting on Calvin Pryor to stabilize the safety spot. They could be counting on Tavon Austin to be a #1 WR.

It seems to me the Steelers have already paid a lot of money to these two.....for doing nothing. I don't think parasites help in the team building process and wouldn't be surprised to see both of them getting a boot in the A$$ before the end of the season. The Rooney's are businessmen, a zero return on an investment isn't small beer to them. Wealthy businessmen can be very peculiar, they will spend 60 million on a private jet and raise all hell over replacing 4 burned out bulbs in the cockpit @ $3 each

salamander
05-06-2017, 05:20 AM
That's all fine and dandy, but let me know when he's on the field for more than a few games.

steelcityboyz
05-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Injuries are part of the game, anyone is subject to them Shazier for example. These two just happen to be more unlucky than most. I say one more season, then if they don't contribute cut them loose.

pczach
05-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Injuries are part of the game, anyone is subject to them Shazier for example. These two just happen to be more unlucky than most. I say one more season, then if they don't contribute cut them loose.

Most seem ready to write them both off, but if both men stay healthy and live up to their potential and are able to do what the team thinks they can do.....they can take this team to a different level.

Green would give them an explosive threat at the TE position, and give defenses fits by getting those physical mismatches because he's a big, fast man that will have a chance to make plays down field because he will often be facing man coverage because of the other weapons they have on the field. AB and a smoke-free Bryant draw a lot of attention. When you have a strong offensive line and a great RB that is a great runner that can also play like a WR.....there is a lot for the defense to worry about.

With Golson, they would be adding a great cover man that would change the dynamic in the secondary. He has great ball skills and has shown that he gets his hands on the ball and he catches it. He would make the entire defense better because he would be taking away a weakness in the team.

The other thing both players would do if they can stay on the field and succeed is showing the strength of the depth of the roster that the organization has put together.

To be able to have Jesse James as the second TE give the entire offense a boost and creates possibilities in 2 TE sets.

With Golson, it would mean possibly having Ross Cockrell or Artie Burns as a backup if he plays outside. The prospect of having three solid outside corners is exciting. When you throw in the talent that was just drafted in Cameron Sutton as a slot cover man and a talented, physically gifted developmental corner in Brian Allen....things are looking up, and the roster keeps getting deeper and more talented.

teegre
05-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Green is a stud. Period. The NYGiants game is what he can do.

Using Heath as a comparison (because we HAVE to), Green is an 8 to Heath's 10 in blocking (not too shabby), but he's also a 10 to Heath's 8 in pass catching (we haven't had a TE who catch like he can).

Alas, concussions aren't as easily "repaired" as broken legs and/or torn ligaments.

Mojouw
05-06-2017, 10:49 AM
Parasite is a pretty strong word. It implies a value judgement. That somehow any of this is Green or Golsons fault because they are malingering or shirking their duties. No verified reports have ever indicated that. If we make Green and Golson the bad guys here then so would Sean Spence, Dangerfield, Leftwhich, Staley, and hell - Rocky Bleier. I am fully aware that each of those players was a different situation, but the Steelers stuck by each player while they worked through long-term injuries because they believed the player, when healthy, was a potential important contributor.

If neither player makes it through this season healthy, then you have to seriously consider a cut with an injury settlement prior to 2018. Again, what is the downside?

- - - Updated - - -

Green is a stud. Period. The NYGiants game is what he can do.

Using Heath as a comparison (because we HAVE to), Green is an 8 to Heath's 10 in blocking (not too shabby), but he's also a 10 to Heath's 8 in pass catching (we haven't had a TE who catch like he can).

Alas, concussions aren't as easily "repaired" as broken legs and/or torn ligaments.

Ladarius Green is what Eric Green was meant to be.

FrancoLambert
05-06-2017, 10:54 AM
I shake my head when I read the projections of what Golson will add to the team. "Great cover skills, ball hawking, plug and play starting CB."

All based on what? His college career that ended nearly three years ago.

I count Green as a team member that has shown he can help the team (Giants game). Golson is a complete unknown as a professional player.

Shoes
05-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Parasite is a pretty strong word. It implies a value judgement. That somehow any of this is Green or Golsons fault because they are malingering or shirking their duties. No verified reports have ever indicated that. If we make Green and Golson the bad guys here then so would Sean Spence, Dangerfield, Leftwhich, Staley, and hell - Rocky Bleier. I am fully aware that each of those players was a different situation, but the Steelers stuck by each player while they worked through long-term injuries because they believed the player, when healthy, was a potential important contributor.

If neither player makes it through this season healthy, then you have to seriously consider a cut with an injury settlement prior to 2018. Again, what is the downside?

- - - Updated - - -

Ladarius Green is what Eric Green was meant to be.

The downside is you are paying two players to do nothing. Using that money to get one player, TE or CB would at least give your team an added edge. As for players you mentioned, they all had one thing in common, they were driven and worked hard. What i see in Green & Golson is Mendenhall, Cortez Allen, Mike Adams & Jason Worilds.

It is a valid word imo, there is something with Green that wasn't right from the beginning, the ankle, the headaches, information on his concussion that may have not been given to the steelers, the rolling of the eyes of his teammates when he glided through training camp. Golson hasn't played football in three years and a recent article with Colbert saying he's still worried about him tells me his days are short. There are moochers in every occupation under the sun and football isn't any different.

I hope both of them prove me wrong!

Mojouw
05-06-2017, 11:22 AM
The downside is you are paying two players to do nothing. Using that money to get one player, TE or CB would at least give your team an added edge. As for players you mentioned, they all had one thing in common, they were driven and worked hard. What i see in Green & Golson is Mendenhall, Cortez Allen, Mike Adams & Jason Worilds.

It is a valid word imo, there is something with Green that wasn't right from the beginning, the ankle, the headaches, information on his concussion that may have not been given to the steelers, the rolling of the eyes of his teammates when he glided through training camp. Golson hasn't played football in three years and a recent article with Colbert saying he's still worried about him tells me his days are short. There are moochers in every occupation under the sun and football isn't any different.

From what I have read, all of the negative stuff about Green was a combination of rumor, speculation, unsourced mumblings, and the only on record material was positive. Now, we all know that teams BS their way through things all the time. So what is the truth? We'll never know.

Last season Golson worked to come back prior to the end of the year and the team chose (not Golson) to use the return spot for Dupree and placed Golson on season ending IR. Hawkins was put there for similar reasons. Is he a moocher?

You're comments on the cap realities and the football related questions are spot on -- it is the evaluation of individual's personalities and character that I have an issue with. I don't know why, but that is the part about talking football on the internet that always gets me.

Shoes
05-06-2017, 11:43 AM
From what I have read, all of the negative stuff about Green was a combination of rumor, speculation, unsourced mumblings, and the only on record material was positive. Now, we all know that teams BS their way through things all the time. So what is the truth? We'll never know.

Last season Golson worked to come back prior to the end of the year and the team chose (not Golson) to use the return spot for Dupree and placed Golson on season ending IR. Hawkins was put there for similar reasons. Is he a moocher?

You're comments on the cap realities and the football related questions are spot on -- it is the evaluation of individual's personalities and character that I have an issue with. I don't know why, but that is the part about talking football on the internet that always gets me.

You are correct on Green, we'll never know. There seems to be little progress in his concussion issues, so that tells me his football days are about done. Even if he would come back, you know guys will be gunning for his head. Golson shoulder year one , Golson foot year two, never making it out of training camp, never playing in the NFL, Colbert still worried about Golson, Colbert drafting Cam Sutton, I'd say Golson is done too.

But I hope they both prove me wrong!

Mojouw
05-06-2017, 11:47 AM
You are correct on Green, we'll never know. There seems to be little progress in his concussion issues, so that tells me his football days are about done. Even if he would come back, you know guys will be gunning for his head. Golson shoulder year one , Golson foot year two, never making it out of training camp, never playing in the NFL, Colbert still worried about Golson, Colbert drafting Cam Sutton, I'd say Golson is done too.

Me too, but I honestly expect both to be out of football by no later than early 2018.

Born2Steel
05-06-2017, 11:49 AM

If Golson has a TC this year, we'll have that option. If he's injured in TC again, he's most likely cut. I'm really hoping he makes the 53. His ceiling is so high, and his ball skills are off the chart. But his inability to be on the field may end his career.

I think that with his concussion history, Green will be a game by game, constant worry even if he makes it back. I'm all for getting him playing again, but I'm already moving on.

pczach
05-06-2017, 01:23 PM
I shake my head when I read the projections of what Golson will add to the team. "Great cover skills, ball hawking, plug and play starting CB."

All based on what? His college career that ended nearly three years ago.

I count Green as a team member that has shown he can help the team (Giants game). Golson is a complete unknown as a professional player.

Based on everything we've heard from everyone that has seen him practice and play in scrimmages. Every player and coach that has commented talks about his athleticism, coverage skills, and ball skills.

Every media member that has access to training camp and preseason activities and has seen him play has talked about him in glowing fashion leading up to each season.

So we know what skills he had coming out of college. We know what the team has thought about him after seeing him go through two camps.

I know we haven't seen him in live action as fans and that he has suffered two serious injuries, but the talent is still there. He was slated to be on track to be a starting CB. That talent doesn't just disappear, and he's still a young man that by all accounts has been working hard rehabbing and preparing himself to play football. Remember, he was playing football at the beginning of last season before he got hurt. It's not like he has been exiled to the Island of Misfit Toys for three years.

Do we know for sure what he is going to be on the field? No, we don't. But I am hopeful that all those skills are still intact and that Lady Luck finally smiles on the Steelers this year as they steer clear of major injuries, and in particular, the two players we are focusing on in this thread.

These are all hypotheticals we are talking about here based on what we've heard about the player since he turned pro.

Mojouw
05-06-2017, 02:56 PM
I think folks just need a reason to be pessimistic or worry about a team that went to the AFCCG last season.

Cue the "where they got out-coached and whupped" and "but they can't man cover!!!!"

BurghBoy412
05-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I am looking forward to seeing what Mr. Green can do after a complete offseason with the offense. I remember last season he was having a really hard time with his ankle healing up and really never had a chance to get acclimated. Set backs are part of life I'm excited to see how he bounces back.

86WARD
05-06-2017, 03:55 PM

This is how I look at it. I'm not depending on either to save the day but it's not terrible to have them hanging around at the moment.

Born2Steel
05-06-2017, 06:58 PM
I am looking forward to seeing what Mr. Green can do after a complete offseason with the offense. I remember last season he was having a really hard time with his ankle healing up and really never had a chance to get acclimated. Set backs are part of life I'm excited to see how he bounces back.

My youngest son played on the line.(RT and NT) He suffered a high ankle sprain in spring that aggravated him for the entire season. I get the ankle issue, not worried about his ankle. It's the multiple concussions that have him with one foot in the 'grave', and one on a deflated football. Cannot trust him game to game, IMO. He will have to have a full season of no concussion issues for me to trust in Green even a little.

BurghBoy412
05-06-2017, 08:06 PM
My youngest son played on the line.(RT and NT) He suffered a high ankle sprain in spring that aggravated him for the entire season. I get the ankle issue, not worried about his ankle. It's the multiple concussions that have him with one foot in the 'grave', and one on a deflated football. Cannot trust him game to game, IMO. He will have to have a full season of no concussion issues for me to trust in Green even a little.Stranger things have happened. I'm expecting the 22 year old pup from McKeesport to vastly improve in his 3rd season. Especially if Green can't play.

FrancoLambert
05-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Based on everything we've heard from everyone that has seen him practice and play in scrimmages. Every player and coach that has commented talks about his athleticism, coverage skills, and ball skills.

Every media member that has access to training camp and preseason activities and has seen him play has talked about him in glowing fashion leading up to each season.

So we know what skills he had coming out of college. We know what the team has thought about him after seeing him go through two camps.

I know we haven't seen him in live action as fans and that he has suffered two serious injuries, but the talent is still there. He was slated to be on track to be a starting CB. That talent doesn't just disappear, and he's still a young man that by all accounts has been working hard rehabbing and preparing himself to play football. Remember, he was playing football at the beginning of last season before he got hurt. It's not like he has been exiled to the Island of Misfit Toys for three years.

Do we know for sure what he is going to be on the field? No, we don't. But I am hopeful that all those skills are still intact and that Lady Luck finally smiles on the Steelers this year as they steer clear of major injuries, and in particular, the two players we are focusing on in this thread.

These are all hypotheticals we are talking about here based on what we've heard about the player since he turned pro.

Thank you for reinforcing the point I was trying to make. Projections based on what we've heard....not on what we've seen.

Golson is certainly due for some good luck. :pray: