PDA

View Full Version : Post Draft: Which Position Group Remains The Weakest?

Steelheart
05-01-2017, 07:06 AM
I borrowed this question from Steelersdepot.com because I think it is an interesting one and wanted to hear your thoughts.

I will share mine though it is kind of long.

I think whatever your answer was before the draft is still the answer because we don't know what any of these guys are going to do yet. We can all be extremely excited about the picks but there could be injuries or slow development.

To make this process a little easier I think we can eliminate every position on the offesnive side right off.

OL - is about as good as it gets in both depth and starters. Every starter is good or great and even the depth has quite a bit of playing experience in Finney and Hubbard along with a potential piece of the futur in whats his name we drafted last year that ended up injured.

WR - I know a lot of talk has been about questioning this group but while we have a lot of questions, we also have some answers if you will. We know if Bryant stays clean he is the man. We know Coates has the potential for a big season if he gets his confidence back, we know Rogers is a good slot player. And AB is AB of course. I almost forget to mention him because he is so much of a give me that it seems to go without question.

TE - Exact same thing I said about the WR group applies here and Green is the Bryant of this group. If he is healthy he is the man. James we know can get the job done but people don't like that he can't do it at Gronk levels. Ok, whatever. Not being Gronk isn't a weakness. James won't hurt this offense, plain and simple. Would it be nice to have a Gronk? Sure, but it also isn't necessary. Grimble and Johnson are both solid as your 3rd and 4th TE's as well. Still, I am on record in saying we should have gotten a TE around the 4th or 5th to compete.

QB - Ben is Ben. Jones has plenty of starting experience to keep you comfortable at least and really if we are talking about the backup QB dragging a team down if it comes to it we could say that about almost every team in the NFL. So across the board I think technically you could call QB depth the biggest weakness but nah, doesn't make things interesting.

RB - If we had come out of the draft with Bell, D Will, and Touissant I would have been pretty happy with this group. As it stands with Bell, Conner, and likely Davis I am still happy but actually think this group is weaker on the whole without D Will. That being said, I don't think it IS an actual weakness. Bell on the high end raises the bar extremely high so with just him alone it is hard to call this the weakest group even if I don't love the depth.

So yeah, I am happy with all of the offensive units so can't see them competing even a little for weakest group.

When we flip to the defensive side however, I think it is a tight race between the units.

DL - I think this is the group you could most easily cross off early on in the discussion because our starters across the 3 spots are all good and with Tuitt and Heyward I think you could even say great. With those 2 you have to be a little concerned with injury and the depth isn't my favorite but we could play the what if game like that all day and drive ourselves crazy.

ILB - This is the next group I would cross off. With Shazier you have a pro bowl calibre starter and with Williams I wouldn't be shocked if he nearly matches Shazier in his play. The dude can ball and I will continue to scoff at people questioning Williams. There are no questions with him, the dude is a beast. In fact I will go a step further and argue that Williams and Shazier are as good a starting combo as Tuitt and Heyward. I understand that there can be some concern with depth but I'm not really losing sleep over it. Matekevich is a football player who knows how to get to the ball and is probably going to be limited in his mistakes and I am not sure you can ask for much more in a backup. Steven Johnson has some experience as does Fort. My big thing with depth isn't so much that we need them to play to starter level but you have to ask yourself how much they will hurt us. And I don't see Matekevich hurting us too much even if he can't make 10 tackles a game. Although maybe he can.......

OLB - And the next one I cross off. Of all our young guys Dupree is the one of I have the most hope for if you are talking between him, Burns, Davis, and Hargrave. Not to say I don't trust the others but I am really excited about Duprees potential. On the other side you have Harrison who is as steady a presence as you are going to get. He won't put up gaudy numbers but you also won't forget he is there. Behind him you have Moats and Chick and now of course, TJ Watt. Moats and Chick are okay depth. They aren't going to be putting up big sack numbers but they know the game and have experience in there. Watt I am excited for but again, until we actually see it I am not sure the story changes just yet.

S/CB - I am kind of combining them because I view both groups almost exactly the same. When I look at the starters I directly compare Burns and Davis and I directly compare Mitchell and Cockrell. With the former 2 I see 2 decent players with the potential to be really good for us. I am hoping they take that next step this year and really become the backbone of their units. With the latter 2 we have solid veteran players but ones I would also like to see upgraded. I don't think either are bad but it Mitchells case he is getting older and his contract is almost up and in Cockrells case I think we already see a guy who has reached his ceiling. His ceiling is nice, but I prefer vaulted ceilings.

Where S wins out for me over CB is the depth. I know Golden had some late season struggles but I think people overlook the fact that he was coming off of injury. Outside of that, we have watch both him and Dangerfield handle themselves pretty well coming in for injured players and I still trust both of them. I think the depth certainly could have been upgraded in the draft but I am not pulling out my hair over it.

CB for me still continues to win out as the weakest group. The depth is just such an unknown at this point. Is Golson capable? Is Sensabaugh just another Justin Brown for us? Will Gay continue his decline with age? Can Sutton come right in and compete for a starting role in Nickel? All questions and no answers.

86WARD
05-01-2017, 09:19 AM
For me it is the DBs and the LBs. not only is the starting talent not there, for me, but the depth isn't good either.

DesertSteel
05-01-2017, 10:17 AM
OLB until we have a double-digit sacker. I hope that both Dupree and Watts get er done.
CB until they no longer have the deer in the headlights look. I love Burns upside but don't know enough about Sutton.

Mojouw
05-01-2017, 10:23 AM
DB. Not sure anyone outside the top 4 makes half the rosters across the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tube517
05-01-2017, 11:01 AM
ILB depth is weak and shaky. Dirty Red and LJ Fort as backups. What was once a strength (Backups VW and Spence in 2015) is now a weakness (I am referring to ILB Depth not starters).

Born2Steel
05-01-2017, 11:53 AM
QB

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2017, 12:06 PM
You lost me a few sentences in. I actually think it might be tight end. Green is simply not available enough to give the position as much pedigree as I would if he were available. James cant even figure out how to get double digit YPC and his blocking is improving but still unimpressive. I find the notion that he would be a reliable starter by many absolutely mind boggling. Maybe someday, but not if he looks anything like he does right now. David Johnson, purely a blocker and nothing else. Grimble, he was a practice squad and fringe roster addition for a reason

Cockrell for as much shit as he gets was still our best corner last season. He's an above average corner. Burns is only going to get way better. I had high grades on Cam Sutton before the draft so he's one of the saving graces for why I dont pick CB as the weakest positional group.

Im torn between tight end or inside linebacker. But I like Vince a little better than most so im going with tight end

Steeldude
05-01-2017, 02:08 PM
TE, S and CB are still rather suspect.

TE - Green will play very little. I thought they would have addressed the TE in the draft instead of drafting for a future backup QB. Kittles would have been nice in the 4th round.

S - Golden, Dangerfield and Hagen make up the bench. They aren't horrible, but they aren't great prospects waiting in the wings either. Mitchell is hot/cold. If he spent more time going after the ball rather than trying to make highlight hits he would be more valuable. Davis hopefully improves more and more. His tackling is atrocious. I feel he will improve in all areas if he stays focused.

CB - Burns and Cockrell. The jury is still out on Burns. He didn't do anything special last year and he didn't do anything bad. He was more of a plus than minus. This year he needs to make his move. At the moment Cockrell remains the team's best CB on the outside. The backups are just average journeymen and an aging veteran(Gay). They feel Sutton will be the new slot guy. To me he seems to be just another average CB at best, but that's just a premature guess before pre-season starts. I predict Golson will get injured again. I can't see this group stopping or even hindering Brady.

ALLD
05-01-2017, 02:33 PM
STs until the coach is replaced.

st33lersguy
05-01-2017, 02:43 PM
CB, followed closely by S

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
05-01-2017, 03:11 PM
James YPC will increase this year with Bryant back and a health Coates to stretch the field. That said I would be on the phone now trying to get Barnige to come in for a visit. We get him and he is healthy we would be solid at TE for the next two years.

Six Rings
05-02-2017, 08:58 AM
S/CB is the weakest, outside of Burns, the group has few playmaking skills in coverage. And the depth is thin.

Born2Steel
05-02-2017, 09:41 AM
An aging Ben, already talks of retirement. Landry Jones, the perpetual backup, Josh Dobbs, ???, and a UDFA I haven't taken the time to learn his name yet.

QB is the thinnest position group by far.

Psycho Ward 86
05-02-2017, 11:26 AM
after looking at the roster again im going to ILB. Jesus im terrified if Williams or Shazier go down

Mojouw
05-02-2017, 12:22 PM
after looking at the roster again im going to ILB. Jesus im terrified if Williams or Shazier go down

You and me both! When Shazier gets hurt, teams are just going to beat the Steelers like drum with short passes designed to isolate the Ilb in coverage.

Born2Steel
05-02-2017, 12:42 PM
You and me both! When Shazier gets hurt, teams are just going to beat the Steelers like drum with short passes designed to isolate the Ilb in coverage.

Cuts and PS guys out there.

Mojouw
05-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Cuts and PS guys out there.

Kinda hoping the kid they drafted last year shakes loose. Think he was on a practice squad with the Saints?

43Hitman
05-02-2017, 06:44 PM
LS

RunNGun
05-02-2017, 07:29 PM
For me it's ILB. I thought ILB was our biggest need heading into the draft and was sure we would add one in the first three rounds. I am trusting that the coaches have faith in Matakevich because with Shazier's reckless style of play, it's easy to see him missing some games due to injury. Obviously, the coaches know more than us, but if Fort and Matakevich can't hold it down, it's on Colbert and Tomlin for not making ILB a priority.

tube517
05-02-2017, 09:42 PM
LS

Just get them this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn0CqMmgj-o

Deebo would probably break this.

43Hitman
05-03-2017, 04:40 AM
Just get them this:

Deebo would probably break this.:toofunny:

BlackAndGold
05-03-2017, 10:51 AM
Just get them this:

Deebo would probably break this.

Speaking of Deebo breaking things.

st33lersguy
05-03-2017, 04:03 PM
I remain greatly concerned about this secondary and don't think enough was done. I'm not confident that this secondary won't get roasted by Tom Brady or Derek Carr in the postseason and that the Steelers lose because of it. Really hoping Sean Davis and Artie Burns progress and that Cam Sutton contributes year 1 and that it will be enough to make up for some of the weaker spots in the defensive backfield

Craic
05-03-2017, 11:53 PM
I remain greatly concerned about this secondary and don't think enough was done. I'm not confident that this secondary won't get roasted by Tom Brady or Derek Carr in the postseason and that the Steelers lose because of it. Really hoping Sean Davis and Artie Burns progress and that Cam Sutton contributes year 1 and that it will be enough to make up for some of the weaker spots in the defensive backfield

We may lose a playoff game becasue of the DBs, but IMO, it won't be because of a lack of coaching or drafting. Davis and Burns both had very good rookie years, all things considered. We still have Golson on the roster who, for all intents and purposes, should be on the field this year (or lady luck really despises him). Then, we have two rookie CBs that look to be more in the mold of Burns and Davis. In all seriousness, all we need is one of them to step up and be able to play man against another teams number 3 and get Gay off the field. I know Mitchell is disliked around here, but I don't have a problem with his play. I'd put him at average to above average, which when you throw in the veteran experience, is fine. So, no, I don't think our DBs are the major problem. If we lose a playoff game, it'll simply be because they don't yet have the experience necessary.

I'd look more to ILB as the weak point right now. Losing Timmons is going to hurt quite a bit more than a lot of people expect, IMO. I think teams are going to run on us a lot more than we'd like.

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2017, 12:07 AM
I think teams are going to run on us a lot more than we'd like.

really? i feel like Butler will be breathing a sigh of relief if teams are dumb enough to try beating us with the run. That ought to be a strength. Our Dline is potent. Even in subpackages its potent. Cam and Stephon have beautiful stack-and-shed skills to destroy the run at will and I have a lot of confidence in Hargrave. Our safeties are good in box tacklers, Burns improved so much as a tackler after that early dolphins game. Cockrell kind of seems like he's never going to be a great tackler but i think our front 7 will turn that into almost a non-factor against running backs. Harrison sets the edge almost as well as he did in his prime still and Dupree has played the run well since his rookie season. TJ sets the edge pretty well and Williams is great against the run.

i dont think we'll lose any games in the upcoming season due to getting run over like we did against the 1st dolphins game

BlackAndGold
05-04-2017, 12:32 AM
With a front 7 of Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Harrison, Dupree, Shazier, and Williams.

Run all you want too, and Good luck.

Craic
05-04-2017, 01:55 AM
really? i feel like Butler will be breathing a sigh of relief if teams are dumb enough to try beating us with the run. That ought to be a strength. Our Dline is potent. Even in subpackages its potent. Cam and Stephon have beautiful stack-and-shed skills to destroy the run at will and I have a lot of confidence in Hargrave. Our safeties are good in box tacklers, Burns improved so much as a tackler after that early dolphins game. Cockrell kind of seems like he's never going to be a great tackler but i think our front 7 will turn that into almost a non-factor against running backs. Harrison sets the edge almost as well as he did in his prime still and Dupree has played the run well since his rookie season. TJ sets the edge pretty well and Williams is great against the run.

i dont think we'll lose any games in the upcoming season due to getting run over like we did against the 1st dolphins game

With a front 7 of Heyward, Hargrave, Tuitt, Harrison, Dupree, Shazier, and Williams.

Run all you want too, and Good luck.

I think you're both forgetting that we still play a 3-4 that depends on the ILB to come up and stuff the run. I fear the drop from Timmons to Williams will be distinctly noticeable . . . too noticeable. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I am not.

43Hitman
05-04-2017, 03:29 AM
I think you're both forgetting that we still play a 3-4 that depends on the ILB to come up and stuff the run. I fear the drop from Timmons to Williams will be distinctly noticeable . . . too noticeable. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I am not.I really don't think we'll notice too much of a drop. Vince is a better ILB than people are giving him credit for. He is very good against the run and in my opinion he is just as good if not better than Timmons in the passing game. I honestly think you're going to be pleasantly surprised at how well Vince does in that position.

pczach
05-04-2017, 06:06 AM
I think you're both forgetting that we still play a 3-4 that depends on the ILB to come up and stuff the run. I fear the drop from Timmons to Williams will be distinctly noticeable . . . too noticeable. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I am not.

I think Williams will be fine against the run. That's his strength.

The part of his game I worry about are his coverage skills. That's where I believe he'll struggle. I still don't rule out a trade or a FA signing to shore up the ILB position.

Mojouw
05-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Williams should be average at worst against the run. Like others have said, if some team wants to line up and try and hammer the ball between the tackles against this front 7, Butler probably wets himself from joy on the sideline. What worries me about the ILB position is this:

1, Who calls the defense? Wasn't that Timmons? Shazier should be able to do it, but Timmons struggled when he took over that role from Farrior. It is not an easy task.
2. Williams getting isolated in coverage. Remember the offenses can scheme and plan too. Williams being forced into covering Eifert or a RB over the middle may not be pretty. The Ravens used to love to iso Ray Rice in a way that forced Farrior to cover him.
3. Shazier's annual injury. If we have concerns about Vinny, what do we really think about Scrappy McPolish, and Steven Special Teams? I mean those two are even less athletic...

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2017, 10:42 AM

you think theres going to be a big drop off in run defense between past his prime Timmons and Williams? Ok now you're just making stuff up.

Hes always been great at filling run lanes and arriving violently. We've known what were getting from him in that department for about 4 seasons now. Williams also doesnt wait until midseason to start playing at a high level

RunNGun
05-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Vince will be fine against the run. The question is how well he will do against the pass. I too, could easily see us bringing in a free agent ILB to compete.

86WARD
05-04-2017, 01:59 PM

I said this the day Timmons left.

pczach
05-04-2017, 02:58 PM
1, Who calls the defense? Wasn't that Timmons? Shazier should be able to do it, but Timmons struggled when he took over that role from Farrior. It is not an easy task.
2. Williams getting isolated in coverage. Remember the offenses can scheme and plan too. Williams being forced into covering Eifert or a RB over the middle may not be pretty. The Ravens used to love to iso Ray Rice in a way that forced Farrior to cover him.
3. Shazier's annual injury. If we have concerns about Vinny, what do we really think about Scrappy McPolish, and Steven Special Teams? I mean those two are even less athletic...

1. Shazier has been making the defensive calls for I think two years.

2. This is also my biggest fear with Williams.

3. If Shazier goes down, the lack of athleticism at the position is terrifying to me.