PDA

View Full Version : Your expectations for the 2017 draft class for their rookie season and after

polamalubeast
04-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Do you think they will contribute for the 2017 season?

And what are your expectations about his players for the long term?

Steelheart
04-30-2017, 09:30 AM
TJ Watt - Will rotate early with Harrison and before the season is over will be taking more snaps than James. I think he will be a good starter for years to come and consistently make the pro bowl with a ceiling at all pro or DPotY if he avoids injury.

JuJu - Will compete for snaps with Rogers and possibly take his job before the season is over. Hard to say long term. I would think he should stick around for awhile.

Cameron Sutton - Could be the day 1 starter in the slot or possibly battle with Cockrell for the outside job. Slot seems more likely based on what I have heard. As far as long term.....corners are a tough bet. No clue but even though I like him I am not sure I would bet on a ton of success.

James Conner - Maybe the most obvious call. Will backup Bell and be a fan favorite for a long time.

Joshua Dobbs - The percentage on QB success drafter after the first round is very low so it is hard to bet on the guy. He will be 3rd string this year and maybe replace Jones as the number 2 a year or 2 from now. By the time that is happening we are drafting Bens real replacement.

Picks 5 and 7 should both be PS guys. They won't see the roster this year.

Pick 6.....You have to think if they used a draft pick on a long snapper he has a very legitimate shot at beating out Greg Warren or we are about to hear about Greg Warrens retirement. If that happens he should be our long snapper for the next 15 years lol.

tube517
04-30-2017, 09:37 AM
I agree w/SH above. I think TJ, Juju, Cam #2, and JC will contribute (not start). I look for Juju to battle Eli and Ayers for the slot and eventually win it by playoff time. Same w/Cam #2 vs Golson and old man Gay.

Dobbs is a project and will have clipboard duty for a few years. He'll probably help the other rookies w/their homework and build drones for Training Camp.

I think the others won't contribute (except for maybe ST's) unless Greg Warren loses his job to the LS pick, which is highly unlikely unless Warren's fingers turn into Coates'. Also, Warren is signed for 2017.

st33lersguy
04-30-2017, 10:32 AM
TJ: Will rotate in with Harrison while learning from him and how to train

Juju: Behind AB and Bryant but his competitiveness, physicality, and knack for getting jump balls may leap him above E Rog.

Sutton: Reps at slot corner

Conner: If any indication of how the Steelers have used Le'Veon's backup, he'll get approximately 0-2 carries when Bell is playing, but they SHOULD use him more often to lighten Bell's load since he'll likely be worth receiving actual carries

Dobbs: Sits behind Ben and probably Landry as well,

Allen: Likely PS or cut outright

Holba: You don't draft a long snapper and not plan on using him. Likely will replace Warren this year

Adams: Likely PS or cut outright

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2017, 11:02 AM
in any given draft, usually about 3-4 people actually pan out. I think the players that pan out will be TJ Watt, Juju Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, James Conner, and Holba.

I think TJ Watt will rotate on both sides because he was he was comfortable being a moving chess piece in college. I think he'll show steady potential throughout and get around 5 sacks and a dozen total pressures. I think Juju will beat out Rogers by mid-season and have at least a TD or 2 that showcases him as a redzone weapon + 400ish yards. I think Sutton only replaces Gay in the starting lineup if Gay is unable to play any better than last season. Otherwise i think it will take an injury or something before he takes over really late in the season. I think Conner might become the #2 RB outright but i think Knile Davis will be a better RB here than people give him credit for.

I keep reading tweets about how we had to draft Holba so ill go along with that. Holba is our new long snapper for 2017

Rotorhead
04-30-2017, 12:19 PM
I think TJ will slowly increase snaps with JH until the playoffs, will be good to give JH more rest late in the season.
Juju will take over the slot position mid season
Holba will replace Warren next year
Conner will be a solid #2 next season, may get some carries later this season
Sutton will hopefully beat out Gay towards the end of the season.

Born2Steel
04-30-2017, 12:39 PM
I expect each to have rookie seasons. Meaning, they will learn at the pace they each individually learn, and play according to their ability. I don't see any of them starting this season, only exception is maybe Sutton. If Bell has to miss a game, Conner may start over Davis or Frenchy, maybe. If Bryant can't handle his stuff, John JuJu should start over others. If Ben misses, it will probably be the Landry Jones show again. Allen and Adams will have a very difficult time making this team.

TJ is the 1st round guy. We expect him to get at least a start or 2. He is supposed to be able to rush better than Jones, so even if he doesn't start, he should rest JH more.Remember, it's more about snaps than starts.

tube517
04-30-2017, 01:37 PM
in any given draft, usually about 3-4 people actually pan out. I think the players that pan out will be TJ Watt, Juju Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, James Conner, and Holba.

I think TJ Watt will rotate on both sides because he was he was comfortable being a moving chess piece in college. I think he'll show steady potential throughout and get around 5 sacks and a dozen total pressures. I think Juju will beat out Rogers by mid-season and have at least a TD or 2 that showcases him as a redzone weapon + 400ish yards. I think Sutton only replaces Gay in the starting lineup if Gay is unable to play any better than last season. Otherwise i think it will take an injury or something before he takes over really late in the season. I think Conner might become the #2 RB outright but i think Knile Davis will be a better RB here than people give him credit for.

I keep reading tweets about how we had to draft Holba so ill go along with that. Holba is our new long snapper for 2017

If TJ likes to play both sides then I see alot of havoc w/him, Shazam and Dupree rushing the passer along w/Cam and Tuitt and even Grave Digger on "rest downs" for the other 2.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2017, 03:34 PM
If TJ likes to play both sides then I see alot of havoc w/him, Shazam and Dupree rushing the passer along w/Cam and Tuitt and even Grave Digger on "rest downs" for the other 2.

Shazier, Harrison, and Watt can all stunt really well. Butler is going to have a lot of fun with this one

BurghBoy412
04-30-2017, 03:52 PM
I've got a feeling Allen will make the 53. When Ross Cockrell is starting on 1 side you've got a really weak talent pool. I suspect he splits​ time with Cock this year and takes his job outright in his 2nd year. His raw athleticism probably puts him at Cockrell's level already.

DesertSteel
04-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Dobbs beats out Ben in training camp and is named MVP of the league this year. The power of #135.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2017, 04:31 PM
No idea.

However I have 2 general hopes.

1. They give Bell (and others) more breathers.

2. They give the rookies with the potential enough playing time so they can significantly contribute by the playoffs.

I sense Tomlin is finally in serious mode again as he realizes HIS Superbowl window is closing too.

DesertSteel
04-30-2017, 05:39 PM
TJ Watt = 9 sacks
JuJu = 40 catches
Sutton = 2 Ints
Conner = 300 yards/ 5 TDs

I'll start with that.

steelreserve
04-30-2017, 08:55 PM
They will all poo at least once a day. Some maybe more.

BurghBoy412
04-30-2017, 09:21 PM
I bet you they all use a different amount of TP though...

Six Rings
05-01-2017, 07:06 AM
Do you think they will contribute for the 2017 season?

And what are your expectations about his players for the long term?

Much of the expectations for the rookie year depend on injures to players ahead of them, and the coaching staff's willingness to let them compete for a job.

Outside of Watt, I do not expect much from the rookies.

Best guess.

Watt. 50 tackles, 7 sacks, 1 FF, 3 passes batted down. A good rookie year!

JuJu. 30 catches, 400 yards, 3 TD's. However if Byrant isn't allowed to play these numbers will go up.

Sutton. 25 tackles, 1 interception. Will see the field in the dime

Conner. 50 carries, 370 yards, 4 TD's, 100 yards via reception.

Day 3 of the draft was very weak. I expect little from Hobbs, and think he won't dress for many games.

tube517
05-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Except for Dobbs....He will invent a way for the poo to be ejected into space somehow without a toilet.

Edman
05-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Watt: Won't be anything special until at least his 2nd/3rd year.

Juju: 3rd or 4th Receiver.

Sutton: Won't break the lineup until at least mid-season.

Conner: Will spell Bell pretty good and become a fan-favorite in Pittsburgh. Not the most mind-blowing player, but a very reliable workhorse.

Dobbs: Holds a clipboard pretty well.

The rest are just practice squad bodies.

teegre
05-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Watt will rotate in on both sides (a la Woodley as a rookie).
5 sacks, 12 pressures, 5 FF

JuJu will make an immediate impact. He has #1 ability, playing against #3 corners. BB will find him often, and thus it will keep one more drive alive per game (an increase of around 2.5 ppg).
45 for 600 yards (25+ of those on third down), 5 TDs.

Sutton excels in man coverage. He will supplant Gay by mid-season, and eventually supplant Cockrell (by training camp next year). He won't have any INTs, but he also won't give up any TDs.

Conner will get 10 carries/game... at around 3 ypc.
160 carries for 500 yards, 5 TDs

Dobbs will be the #2 by season's end. Hopefully we never see him (except for mop up duty).

And...

Holba' play will go unnoticed... which is exactly what you want to see.

DesertSteel
05-01-2017, 10:41 PM
I'd like to see Dobbs starting..... in week 17 against the Browns while Ben rests after the division is clinched.

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Watt will rotate in on both sides (a la Woodley as a rookie).
5 sacks, 12 pressures, 5 FF

JuJu will make an immediate impact. He has #1 ability, playing against #3 corners. BB will find him often, and thus it will keep one more drive alive per game (an increase of around 2.5 ppg).
45 for 600 yards (25+ of those on third down), 5 TDs.

Sutton excels in man coverage. He will supplant Gay by mid-season, and eventually supplant Cockrell (by training camp next year). He won't have any INTs, but he also won't give up any TDs.

Conner will get 10 carries/game... at around 3 ypc.
160 carries for 500 yards, 5 TDs

Dobbs will be the #2 by season's end. Hopefully we never see him (except for mop up duty).

And...

Holba' play will go unnoticed... which is exactly what you want to see.

I feel like this is the best case scenario but none of these projections are terribly out of realism. I think Rogers and Coates will siphon off a lot more targets than most. What do you think their stat lines are going to look like?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like to see Dobbs starting..... in week 17 against the Browns while Ben rests after the division is clinched.

That would be perfect. Or hopefully a lot of games midseason where he gets playing time in mop up duty since were ahead by so much

RunNGun
05-02-2017, 12:47 AM
Watt- Like everyone has mentioned, he will be groomed along, rotating in on passing situations. 4 or 5 sacks in the regular season, but really hits his stride in the playoffs.

JuJu- Agreed with Teegre. JuJu is our most polished rookie. I'm predicting him to be our starting slot from the jump. 40 catches, 7 TDs, 500 yards.

Sutton- I don't see him getting significant playing time until the last half of the season. William Gay is solid in the slot and knows the playbook. Sutton is going to have to play lights out to take his spot and I don't view Sutton as an outside guy, especially in year one.

Conner- He should get some work in his rookie year. Chances are, Bell will miss 3-5 games and Conner will get a chance to show what he's capable of. Idk if he will be an upgrade over D Will right away, but I think he has the potential. 350 yards, 5 TD

Dobbs- He'll be holding a clipboard the whole season, barring injury. Hopefully, he utilizes that time wisely.

Allen- I see him making the 53 and getting some snaps towards the last half of the season. If Cockrell went down I could see Allen getting an opportunity to see what he can do. I love his upside, so I'm pulling hard for him.

Holba- GOAT

Adams- I could see him replacing Matakevich on the 53. I think he brings more upside to the table. Very athletic. Could make some noise on special teams.

teegre
05-02-2017, 06:50 AM
I feel like this is the best case scenario but none of these projections are terribly out of realism. I think Rogers and Coates will siphon off a lot more targets than most. What do you think their stat lines are going to look like?

I think BB has a career season. In turn, every receiver will have a pretty good stat line:

AB will have his usual 100 for 1200, 9 TDs.

Bryant could have 50 for 1000, 13 TDs.

JuJu: 45 for 600, 5 TDs

Rogers will have a little less (since JuJu will take a lot of his snaps)... about 30 for 300, 3 TDs.

Coates will catch about one bomb per game (16 x 40) plus an occasional short pass here & there... 30 for 600, 3 TDs.

TOTAL:
From the receivers, that is 255 for 4700, 33 TDs.

Born2Steel
05-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Maybe the best way to look at this thread is to also look at the position rooms and break them down by group. Then you have a pretty good idea of how many players will be on the 53 at each position group, and from there start cutting/signing to fill the roster.
Example: DBs will keep, say 10 players on the 53. Now list the DBs. Who definitely gets a spot? Cockrell, Burns, Davis, Mitchell, Sutton, Adams, Golden. That leaves Dangerfield, Sensabaugh, Gay, Golson, Dixon, Hilton, Shabazz, and Hagen all competing for the last 3 spots. Front runners would have to be Gay(age), Sensabaugh(FA), and Golson(injury), I would think. Who gets PS spots and who gets cut? There were other names on the roster, I just listed guys with jerseys.

Bluecoat96
05-02-2017, 08:36 AM
I followed Juju on Instagram. It looks like he is from the Antonio Brown School of Training. I'm excited to see what he is able to contribute.

When we drafted Jarvis Jones, I remember watching his tape from college and thinking, meh. I felt like he lucked into a bunch of sacks. Watt seems to have 2X the drive and hustle that Jones did coming out of college. I think we'll see a Woodley type rookie season from him, with major strides coming in years 2 and 3. Can't really comment too much on the others, as I haven't watched much of their stuff. I rely on all of you draft gurus here for my information. ;)

RunNGun
05-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Maybe the best way to look at this thread is to also look at the position rooms and break them down by group. Then you have a pretty good idea of how many players will be on the 53 at each position group, and from there start cutting/signing to fill the roster.
Example: DBs will keep, say 10 players on the 53. Now list the DBs. Who definitely gets a spot? Cockrell, Burns, Davis, Mitchell, Sutton, Adams, Golden. That leaves Dangerfield, Sensabaugh, Gay, Golson, Dixon, Hilton, Shabazz, and Hagen all competing for the last 3 spots. Front runners would have to be Gay(age), Sensabaugh(FA), and Golson(injury), I would think. Who gets PS spots and who gets cut? There were other names on the roster, I just listed guys with jerseys.

Adams is an OLB. Gay is a lock. I think Allen and Golson will be competing for that last corner spot.

Born2Steel
05-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Adams is an OLB. Gay is a lock. I think Allen and Golson will be competing for that last corner spot.

Correct. I meant Allen , not Adams. Allen, IMO, is a lock just based on size, speed, and ball skills. He is teachable from there.

RunNGun
05-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Correct. I meant Allen , not Adams. Allen, IMO, is a lock just based on size, speed, and ball skills. He is teachable from there.

I hope you're right. I would love to see Allen pan out!