PDA

View Full Version : Six Rings annual draft thread. Who I would have taken and my thoughts

Six Rings
04-30-2017, 05:33 AM
Here is my annual who I would have selected for the Steelers draft.

While I can't accept trades as Colbert said he was offered per beat Writer Jim Wexell, I do have the ability to see how the draft fell.

I do not intend to use it, and you'll see I'm picking a player in round three that went in round five.

I encourage others to play along. In three years we'll know who drafted better than Colbert who has the edge based on medical reports, interviews, and character references fans typically not obtain from the media.

Rules: You can only pick a player on our turn to select and you can only pick players who were on the board when it comes time for us to pick,

I will grade for Value in the round, NFL upside, and what type of player I think he will become.

Round one OLB TJ Watt. Watt was in many of my mock drafts for round one, and it's no secret the Steelers need a pass rusher to replace Harrison, and pair with Dupree.

Watt had an excellent combine, ranking first or second in his group on various tests, his production vs. the run or pass was excellent and he's only 22 years old. He has the type of long frame suited for additional muscle development, and you have to love his character, work ethic, and NFL bloodlines. All the boxes, except 2 or more years of starting experience are meet.

On film Watt shows strong hands to disengage, the type of motor to get second effort type of sacks, a high football IQ as to where the ball is, and how to get there, and good, but not great closing speed to the quarterback. He's a plus type of run defender and has the agility and speed to drop back in coverage, though he should only be adequate in this department.

Battle tested in the big ten, last season ( 14 games ) Watt had 63 tackles, 15.5 tackles for losses, 11 sacks, 1 interception ( returned for a TD ) 4 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles, and 1 fumble recovery.

That's a lot of splash plays to help a defense get off the field. Watt can start as a rookie, tutored by James Harrison, and play in multiple odd or even fronts for the Steelers.

Grade for value in the round A-

Grade for Need A+

What Type of player I think he'll be in the NFL B+

Who would I have drafted? SAME PLAYER!

Round two. WR Juju Smith-Schuster. Going into the draft WR was not a primary need, and no one we pick is going to be better than Brown, or when he's playing better than Bryant. Rogers proved to be a solid slot receiver, and behind him, Ayers flashed some ability as a rookie. These two young players should improve a bit. We also have a disappointing, but still full of potential Coates. And we've got Justin Hunter, a 2nd round bust, who might be better with a change of scenery. The Steelers selected Juju Smith-Schuster.

Schuster is best described as a large physical receiver with good hands, a strong work ethic, a passion for the game, and yes he did well at USC. In his last two seasons Smith - Schuster had 159 catches, 20 touchdowns in his past two NFL seasons, with a respectable 14.5 yards per catch in his college career.

Smith-Schuster has some Hines Ward in him, as he;s a tough and durable type of runner, however, his speed 4.54, and quickness are average.

When you consider the Steelers red zone blues, and sometimes the inability for the other Steelers to get open when Bryant is out of the lineup, this pick makes a lot of sense. My main critique is not the player himself, but the need the team has for coverage players. The true unknown here is Bryant's drug status and motivation to put football before his recreational ways. The Steelers have the best read on that, and history shows they pick WR's very well.

Grade for Value in the round A

*Grade for need. C if Bryant is ready to play, otherwise B

What type player do I think he will be in the NFL? B

Who I would have selected! If I could I would have trade up to get CB Awuize picked two spots ahead of us. A 5th or 6th round pick might have been enough to obtain him, but going on the board I picking CB Cordera Tankersley. The man has ideal height, length, and speed. 9 interceptions in his past two season and 20 passes defended, with 4.40 speed, 6'1" in height, 32" arms and 200 pounds. Yes, he has some flag issues, and isn;t the best run supporting guy. My reply so what, he's the type you can leave alone on the outside with some playmaking and shut down ability. A primary need in the NFL today.

Round three. CB Cameron Sutton. I like Sutton, and he was a player I liked in rounds 3 or 4. However, in the NFL he's going to be a slot type of corner or a zone type of player as his size and arm length could be issues for the outside in a base defensive set with 4 or 5 DB's. The kid has quick feet and can mirror. Rarely penalized, yet productive with 37 passes defended, and 7 interceptions in his career. I read he only gave up 3 touchdowns in 44 games played, which is impressive for any QB. He's also a fine punt return man. So there's a need and a lot to like, however he might be one of those great college players that's only okay in the NFL as he's not a strong tackler, and you have to be careful who you match him as he's not fast 4.52 40, and he's a little weak in the tackling department.

Grade for Value in the round B

Grade for Need A

What type of player do I think he will be in the NFL B-

Who I would have selected, the same player!

Round 3B. RB James Conner. I admire Conner as a man. You want people like him on your football team. But I think he's playing style is dying out a bit in the NFL. He;s a battering ram type, with ideal traits for 3rd or 4th and short, or near the goal line, but simply not fast or elusive enough to feature as a running back as he's not suited for outside running or pass catching. Essentially an in-between the tackles type of runner. I do think he went to the right team though, as he's a hometown boy, and we; ve got an OL suited for power football. Still, I think we reached and he's a backup only type who might do well if he starts a few games, but that's it. I think Conner is a reach for round three.

Grade for value in the round C

Grade for need C+

What type of player do I think he will be in the NFL. As a role player
A, as a starting back C

Who I would have selected QB Nathan Peterman. Peterman was very productive on fairly decent, but far from powerhouse Pitt Panther team. I think he's close to NFL ready and would have shined more in college if he had a better team around him. You have to like his arm, TD to INT ratio ( 47 TD to 15 INT in the past 26 games ). He's also mobile in the pocket with no major injury issues. With Ben perhaps playing just one or two more seasons a plan B better than Landry Jones is clearly needed. While I realize most QB's do not pan out, I do think he'll play much better than Josh Dobbs if pressed into action early after sitting on the bench his rookie year.

Round four, QB Josh Dobbs. While I applaud the Steelers for taking a QB in the mid rounds, I do not think Dobbs is the answer. On the plus side, he's very smart and a decent runner. But okay, what type of QB is he? His accuracy, footwork and ball placement need a lot of work, and after 4 years of college ball where he played in 37 games, you'd figure these parts of his game would be better. Dobbs I think will struggle to move the chains in the NFL, and is mistake prone. For example, he threw nine interceptions on just 104 attempts beyond 10 yards this season. That's horrible. NFL DB's will feast on this. He's also on the thin side, with options outside of the NFL for a career path.

Value in the round C+

Value for need B

What type of NFL player do I think he will be C-, a 3rd string type, who might start and have too many up and downs to prevent an NFL team for looking for better.

Who would I have selected? ILB Anthony Walker. A very productive, fast, and height character type. A bit undersized, but durable and has the ability I think to stay on the field in nickel situations. Could be good on special teams too.

Round five, CB Brian Allen. On paper, Allen looks pretty good, but I think he's a work in progress type of corner, who if he could tackle would be better off as a free safety. As a corner, outside of a red zone or jump ball type, or deep zone man, I think he'll struggle in man coverage big time. He just does not have the quickness, and speed and his tackling is very weak. Allen allowed 21.7 yards per completion in 2016. Yikes. But he can pick the ball off. So you can deploy him on 3rd and long with 6 or 7 DB's on the field. My best guess is he does not dress early for NFL games and need a lot of work. Perhaps even as a practice squad player

Grade for Need A

Grade for Value in the round C+

What type of NFL player do I think he'll be? C-, likely off the team in 4-5 years or sooner.

Who would I have selected? S Xavier Woods. Woods also produced well in 2015 (56 tackles, 7.5 for loss, three INT, three PBU) and 2016 (89 tackles, 6.5 for loss, five INT, 6 PBU) all-conference campaign. You wish he was a little taller and faster, but the guy can hit and would make a fine 3rd safety, with a chance to start at SS.

Round six. LONG SNAPPER, Colin Holba.

Most draft have 0 long snappers drafted, so you have to ask yourself why? Okay, Warren is 36, but this only means the best long snappers rookie free agents, which is usually ALL of them will try to be in our camp. I think it's likely we could get Hobla as a rookie free agent, but we spent a 6th round pick on him. He only been a snapper for 2 years in college and is slow as a coverage man with just two career tackles on punt returns. I read he's a very smart man, and in this case, he's also very lucky. Just don't give him #63 please...no worries the Steelers un-officialy retired Dirt's number

Grade for need D

Grade for Value in the round F

What Type of NFL player do I think he will be? A garden variety type of long snapper, not big enough to play OL in a pinch.

Who I would have selected ILB Elijah Lee. A very fall and fast Inside linebacker, who I think will be a special teams ace, and add value in the nickel. Lee is athletic and has the untapped upside to fill with the frame to add 10 pounds. I think he could be a steal here.

Round 7. OLB Keion Adams

Adams is a decent small college pass rusher, who wins with quickness, but he's not very long, or strong and looks undersized. I never heard of him, our 6th round pick, to be honest.

Grade for Need B

Grade for Value in the round C

What type of NFL player do I think he will be? Likely cut in year 1 or 2.

Who would I have selected? TE Anthony Auclair, a Candian prospect, who's tall with some speed. Obviously, he's going to need some coaching, but from a physical standpoint there is some upside here. The Steelers did not draft a tight end, but we could have used one.

So there you have it. I welcome others to join in and say who they would have drafted, as I will archive this time vault and open it up in 2020!

Steelheart
04-30-2017, 07:21 AM
1. TJ Watt - They nailed it. Nobody better to pick IMO.

2. Ultimately here I would have liked to trade back but IMO, any trade we initiate here changes the whole draft for every team and that just isn't viable. So if I had to take a pick here I would have double dipped at OLB and taken Derek Rivers.

3a. Cameron Sutton - Again, this is a pick I think they nailed.

3b. Josh Reynolds - Had him here in my mock and since we would have nailed filling the biggest needs with the first 3 picks I am okay going to offense here as protection against Bryant suspension and Coates never getting back into rhythm. He also fits in with what the Steelers typically look for.

4. Desmond King - Wanted a safety in this draft but the way the board fell didn't offer up any of my favorites but King would have been a nice consolation prize in the 4th. Get him and let him learn and transition while Mitchell plays out the last year or 2 and hopefully by then King is his replacement.

5. Bucky Hodges - I have knocked all the talk of TE being a major need for the Steelers and I still feel that way, but given where my draft would have been up to this point I think Hodges would be a really nice pickup here. I am cool with James as the starter if Green goes down, but also wouldn't mind the depth or competition between Hodges and James for the 2nd role if Green is healthy.

6. Connor Harris - Again, someone I had in my own mock and an obvious reach at this point knowing he didn't even get drafted, but if the Steelers can take a long snapper I can reach a little for an ILB. There are questions about his level of competition but mostly everything else is something I love. He is big into watching tape, known for his leadership traits, hits the gym hard, and offers some coverage skills as well. Would have loved if the Steelers picked him up here or even in the 7th.

7. Christopher Carson - And a 3rd guy from my own mock and as you can see, I am confident in what I mocked to the Steelers and the board kept falling in ways that would have allowed for my mock to happen. I didn't view RB as a huge need coming in but enough of one that adding some late roudn competition to the room is fine by me.

Born2Steel
04-30-2017, 10:27 AM
What name was your last one under?