PDA

View Full Version : Early Draft Grade Poll

Steeldude
04-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Yes, it is early, but how do you feel so far with this draft?

GBMelBlount
04-29-2017, 07:35 PM
B (7 - 8)

Especially in light of Teegre's comment in another thread:

This is Draft has been ALL about rectifying the AGCCG.

R1 pass rush
R2 red-zone target
R3 pass coverage
R3 Bell's backup

Also, it seems to me they chose tough players who are quality people with strong work ethic and heart.

LOVE THIS.

Steelheart
04-29-2017, 07:37 PM
Was thinking about this on my ride home today and I think I feel like it is about a C.

Steeldude
04-29-2017, 07:39 PM
That's odd. It posted before the poll was up.

GBMelBlount
04-29-2017, 07:40 PM
That's odd. It posted before the poll was up.

Maybe you need more pole practice. :wink02:

43Hitman
04-29-2017, 07:44 PM
Some good picks mixed in with a head scratcher in round 6. We won't know the true grade of this draft for a few years, but for right now I'll give it a 7

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-29-2017, 07:45 PM
I give at B and very happy with the 1st pick after Peppers went off the board. Was hoping they would have moved up in the 2nd to grab a CB but guess they was determine to get a WR which now I actually like. Wanted Connor but think it was to early like most. Now figure what the heck and that was a comp pick anyhow. B&7 on the poll.

BurghBoy412
04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
How am I supposed to grade players that haven't played a game yet?

GBMelBlount
04-29-2017, 07:49 PM

The same way the people who draft them do. Sophisticated guessing. :)

Dwinsgames
04-29-2017, 07:51 PM
obviously ( in my best Mike Tomlin voice ) its all projection but based on evidence we have seen from college tape
I think we left more talent and greater needs unattended or properly attended ( again my opinion )

so for that reason I give this draft a 4 out of 10 , I think we over drafted a few guys that we could have got later and think we passed on guys we should have taken

but its not my team and I do not get paid to make those decisions

RunNGun
04-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Watt- B+
JuJu- A-
Sutton- D
Conner- B+
Dobbs- C
Allen- A
Holba- C
Adams- A-

Overall, a pretty good draft. The only pick I really don't like is Sutton, but I've never had a year where I loved every pick. Can't wait to see what these young fellas can do.

Born2Steel
04-29-2017, 08:06 PM
We addressed needs. Plain and simple. Maybe not the names we were all thinking but we did address those needs.

1. Watt - Edge guy that can rush the passer and drop into coverage
2. JuJu - WR need. Even though many of you think Wr wasn't a need, it was.
3a. Cam Sutton - Slot CB to upgrade Gay and Sensabaugh and compete with Golson.
3b. Conner - RB depth. Also very much a need, and an upgrade over Davis and Frenchy.
4. Dobbs - Backup QB with potential. We analyzed at length over this guy on here. There were QBs we liked better but this addresses a need.(plain and simple)
5. Allen - Tall speedy outside CB for depth. Guy with potential to compete for a starting role.
6. Holba - Non-glamour position. We just resigned Warren 2 months ago. The need part? He will learn from Warren who has done such a great job, nobody notices him.
7. Adams - Basketball player quickness is his plus side. Probably better in space than as a pass rusher. Backup/Special Teamer.

I give this draft a B. Solid B with a chance to become an A if 2 of these guys become starters this season. 8 out of 10

Mojouw
04-29-2017, 08:28 PM
If Watt dominates nothing else will matter. Alternatively if Dobbs develops into say Andy Dalton, nothing else matters then either. Not knowing that, C+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salamander
04-29-2017, 08:36 PM
As of right now, I give it a good, solid B (8).

Steeldude
04-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Maybe you need more pole practice. :wink02:

With my back? Haha

- - - Updated - - -

If Watt dominates nothing else will matter.

True and I hope that becomes true.

- - - Updated - - -

It's called using reasoning. Obviously nothing is known as fact.

st33lersguy
04-29-2017, 09:18 PM
C-, Watt, was a great start but after that, the early picks rated from pretty good to What the flying fuck are they doing. Also not drafting a safety to provide needed depth and maybe even upgrade Mitchell to help the D improve was a big mistake. Not getting a TE who could catch and block was a mistake. Also they could have benefited from an ILB, and not getting ILB and S in tandem seems worse.

teegre
04-29-2017, 09:29 PM
As GBMelBlount already stated, this draft was about fixing the wrongs of the AFCCG.

R1: pass rusher check
R2: big, red-zone target check
R3: slot corner check
R3: Bell's backup check

After that, it was about..

R4: finding an upgrade for Landry Jones check
R5: depth at corner check
R6: necessary, but :huh:
R7: depth at OLB check

I actually do not downgrade this draft based on the long snapper; sometimes you have to change the oil. But, I did NOT want a QB (even though Dobbs will likely be a better backup than Jones).

Shoes
04-29-2017, 09:52 PM
I give it a B+

I think every player has a nice upside to them. I did not want a QB, at all, but I think it will prove a wise choice by the Steelers. Solid backups are hard to find and I think Dobbs will be just that. This class seems like a bunch of good kids, an added bonus. I don't think there will be any off field issues with this class. Heck, I've even warmed up to the LS pick.

teegre
04-29-2017, 09:53 PM
I give it a B+

I think every player has a nice upside to them. I did not want a QB, at all, but I think it will prove a wise choice by the Steelers. Solid backups are hard to find and I think Dobbs will be just that. This class seems like a bunch of good kids, an added bonus. I don't think there will be any off field issues with this class. Heck, I've even warmed up to the LS pick.

^^This^^

Born2Steel
04-29-2017, 10:19 PM
Somebody said this over the weekend. I don't know if it was something posted on here, or something one of the draft analysts said on tv. But somebody said, "Draft a QB each draft, even if not a position of need. Law of averages says you find a serviceable guy, if not a franchise guy. Worse thing that happens is you get good at drafting QBs".

I have spent time mulling that over and it makes fairly good sense. No position holds more value. If you have a pretty good QB, and draft another good QB, one of those guys will have very good trade value.

The Browns being the antithesis to that, while the Broncos drafted an injured Kelly with Siemian and Lynch already in the stable.

- - - Updated - - -

C-, Watt, was a great start but after that, the early picks rated from pretty good to What the flying fuck are they doing. Also not drafting a safety to provide needed depth and maybe even upgrade Mitchell to help the D improve was a big mistake. Not getting a TE who could catch and block was a mistake. Also they could have benefited from an ILB, and not getting ILB and S in tandem seems worse.

Do you think Allen, at 6'3" can be used at times as a ballhawk FS? I kept waiting for a safety pick as well. I did not expect a TE because none of them did what we need better than who we already have. I would have taken a second WR first.

Steeldude
04-30-2017, 12:25 AM
As GBMelBlount already stated, this draft was about fixing the wrongs of the AFCCG.

R1: pass rusher check
R2: big, red-zone target check
R3: slot corner check
R3: Bell's backup check

After that, it was about..

R4: finding an upgrade for Landry Jones check
R5: depth at corner check
R6: necessary, but :huh:
R7: depth at OLB check

I actually do not downgrade this draft based on the long snapper; sometimes you have to change the oil. But, I did NOT want a QB (even though Dobbs will likely be a better backup than Jones).

It's not about just picking a position of need. For it is who you pick and when.

I'm fine with the two first picks, even though I feel they were taken a little high for what they bring.

Sutton looks very weak and timid. He feels more like a 6th round talent, IMO.

Conner is just a big, north-south runner. They are a dime-a-dozen. Too high of a pick for a RB.

Dobbs won't be an upgrade over Jones. He will either get cut or remain eating up a roster spot for 4 years. Just another running QB.

I like the LS pick over the Dobbs and Sutton pick.

This is just my initial feeling. When pre-season starts it will change : )

Note:When I look at all of the players in this year's draft I don't really see many stars. They mostly seem blah.

st33lersguy
04-30-2017, 12:46 AM
Do you think Allen, at 6'3" can be used at times as a ballhawk FS? I kept waiting for a safety pick as well. I did not expect a TE because none of them did what we need better than who we already have. I would have taken a second WR first.

Based off of what NFL.com said, it doesn't look like he is suited for it, at least right now. Pasted below is the bottom line on his page word-for-word

On the surface, Allen is nowhere near ready to play NFL football. He lacks smooth feet and hips in coverage, a feel for routes and is below average playing the deep ball. His issues as a tackler make it unlikely a team would trust him to move to safety. However, his elite size, speed and length are sure to garner attention and he does flash some potential as a bump-and-run corner. Allen could be a late-round pick who is stashed on a practice squad while a team tries to improve his technique.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/brian-allen?id=2558237
Here is the full link here

teegre
04-30-2017, 02:09 AM
It's not about just picking a position of need. For it is who you pick and when.

I agree... I'm a "best available" guy.

Let me clarify.

I saw four needs (already listed), and those needs could have been addressed in any order. For example, if a CB had been the BPA at 30, I'd have been fine with a CB.

As far as the actual players taken goes:
I like the first two picks, and I really like Sutton (we disagree on that one). At first, I thought that Connor could have been had in R4, but then again, there was a run on RBs early in R4; IMO, they wanted him and simply took him. I didn't want a QB, but I see why they took a QB. The developmental CB & OLB are like any other late-round picks: flawed.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2017, 02:27 AM
B-

in any given draft by us, usually 2-4 players pan out.

i think the picks that are going to be "successful" relative to their draft position will be TJ Watt, Juju Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, and James Connor

Craic
04-30-2017, 03:04 AM

I'm fine with the two first picks, even though I feel they were taken a little high for what they bring.

Conner is just a big, north-south runner. They are a dime-a-dozen. Too high of a pick for a RB.

Dobbs won't be an upgrade over Jones. He will either get cut or remain eating up a roster spot for 4 years. Just another running QB.

Note:When I look at all of the players in this year's draft I don't really see many stars. They mostly seem blah.

I definitely agree with your assessment on Watts, but on JUJU . . . I can't say. I decided to take a little gander at Sutton, and I liked what I saw. He goes up and gets the ball at the highest point possible, and he also fights for the ball. I saw very limited tape, but he didn't look timid. Perhaps, you mean when tackling a runner with the ball? Because while that ball is in the air, he's pretty aggressive. I liked what I saw, but don't know enough to decisively say what round I thought he should be in. I do, however, think he's at least a fourth round talent from what I saw.

I think you're dismissing Dobbs too much just because he can run. One of the things I like about him is his constant improvement, and he did it against something like the second or third hardest college football schedule (concerning defenses). He's also very smart, which means he'll pick up the play book quickly. Will he ever be a starter (sans injury)? I don't know. But I think he'll be an upgrade over Jones by the middle of year one.

I also disagree with you on Conner. Watch his tape again. He's not really "just" a north south runner. He can cut, he can explode through the hole, and he can take on bodies and power through them. They're not as common as we'd like.

I'm okay with the longsnapper pick. It's something we need, so they spend the pick and get it. Now we stick him in the back pocket for the next decade and move on. After the James Harrison snap against the Giants in 08, I don't mind this pick at all.

I also like our last two picks.

All-in-All, I give the draft a B-, but that's graded a little heavy on us taking Watt in the first round, which I think was too high. Had we taken him say, middle of the second, I'd give the draft a B to B+

Method28
04-30-2017, 03:07 AM
As much as i dont really care for the pick, i think JuJu is in a good spot and could be thrust into action. Not expecting much from Watt right away but i think he'll develop nicley

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Terrapinstation
04-30-2017, 07:34 AM
D

Watt. may be great, but he's played one year and has extensive knee injuries
Schuster. We did not need to take a WR here.
Sutton. Undersized CB, but that's what we get for waiting
Conner. Love the guy, but is RB a 3rd rd need??
Dobbs. ?? lol
The rest. Who knows. Oh yeah, we drafted a long snapper! lmao.

pczach
04-30-2017, 09:02 AM
I agree... I'm a "best available" guy.

Let me clarify.

I saw four needs (already listed), and those needs could have been addressed in any order. For example, if a CB had been the BPA at 30, I'd have been fine with a CB.

As far as the actual players taken goes:
I like the first two picks, and I really like Sutton (we disagree on that one). At first, I thought that Connor could have been had in R4, but then again, there was a run on RBs early in R4; IMO, they wanted him and simply took him. I didn't want a QB, but I see why they took a QB. The developmental CB & OLB are like any other late-round picks: flawed.

Pretty much this.

They got 4 guys at the top of their draft that will probably help the team in some capacity pretty early.

The other players were luxury picks and developmental picks.

They took a QB that they like with great intelligence and the ability to absorb and retain information. The need to work on his footwork and his delivery to help his accuracy.

They took a long snapper...........nobody drafts a long snapper unless they believe the rest of the roster is pretty well stocked.

They took a developmental CB that as you say is flawed. He's very raw, but could have a very high upside. Do you (A) draft a player that you have seen play for 4 years that you know doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL, or do you (B) take a super athletic 6'3' 215 lb piece of clay that has a chance to develop into something?

I'll take B every time.

Same thing for a shot at a flawed edge rusher with some athleticism and just a feeling about what he might be able to do. He's a seventh round pick. All you usually find are players that need to get into a system and pro coaching to see what can be pulled out of them.

That is a clear sign that the organization feels very good about their roster, and the depth that they have developed. They are acting like a team that believes they got all the pieces they need in this draft, and whatever players they still need can be gotten as teams are already releasing good players.

Need a TE? A guy like Barnidge was just released from Cleveland. Need another CB? The Bears just elected to not pick up Kyle Fuller's fifth-year option. They can make a trade for him if they still like him, or sign a free agent like Keenan Lewis. If they don't like Lewis, they can wait for cuts during preseason.

This team feels like they are ready to win.

AtlantaDan
04-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Grading a draft before anyone plays a down is of course nonsense but writers publish what fans want to read - links to some draft grades

Mel Kiper - ESPN - B+ (might be behind paywall)

James Conner (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3045147/james-conner) is a great story and pretty good player, but there were better backs available

All in all, needs filled.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18974431/2017-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-grades-draft-class-all-32-teams

Pete Prisco - CBS Sports - B

First-round pick T.J. Watt (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2071793/tj-watt) is a player who is a perfect fit for the Steelers (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/page/PIT/pittsburgh-steelers)' scheme. His best football is in front of him. I thought second-round pick JuJu Smith-Schuster (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2139620/juju-smithschuster) went a little high, but third-round corner/safety Cam Sutton was a really nice pick. The best story of the draft is the pick of third-round runner James Conner out of Pittsburgh (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/PITT/pittsburgh-panthers). This is a kid who overcame cancer. Love that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/
(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams-five-earn-as-and-two-fall-short-with-ds/)
Chris Burke - SI.com - C+

OLB T.J. Watt (pick No. 29) tested off the charts and the Steelers will love his effort level, but there were edge defenders deep into Day 2 who might have been capable of providing just as much pop as pass rushers. We’ll see. I understand the JuJu Smith-Schuster pick at 62—he was a value there, and the Steelers can’t really depend yet on Martavis Bryant—but I’m not sure I get it. The glaring needs were elsewhere on the roster. CB Cameron Sutton (No. 94) could be a good one, and RB James Conner (No. 105) is destined to be a fan favorite, plus he’ll pick up tough yards. No surprise they found a quarterback: Josh Dobbs (No. 135). Not sure that’s a replacement plan if Big Ben walks soon. Docked points for drafting a long snapper in Round 6 (Louisville’s Colin Holba, pick 213).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/04/29/nfl-draft-grades-team-picks-results-analysis

Chad Reuter - NFL.com - A

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: A-
Day 3 grade: A
Overall grade: A
The skinny: The fact that T.J. Watt (http://www.nfl.com/player/t.j.watt/2558064/profile) was available for the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) was amazing. He's a war daddy, and Pittsburgh can play him inside or outside for years. This was one of those picks where everyone will wonder in four years how Watt dropped this far. Many Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) fans told me the team wouldn't take a receiver early; well, Kevin Colbert thought differently. JuJu Smith-Schuster (http://www.nfl.com/player/jujusmith-schuster/2558149/profile) is a very strong receiver who will be the physical pass-catcher the team needs. They could have used a pick on defense again, however, and found another receiver late in the draft. Colbert did get a corner/safety in Cameron Sutton (http://www.nfl.com/player/cameronsutton/2558849/profile) who should become a starter down the line.

It's hard not to be happy for cancer survivor James Conner (http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesconner/2557978/profile), but defenders won't be happy when trying to tackle this Steeler running back. I love the pick of Joshua Dobbs (http://www.nfl.com/player/joshuadobbs/2558167/profile) in the fourth round, with Big Ben (http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/profile) going year-to-year from here on out. Cornerback Brian Allen (http://www.nfl.com/player/brianallen/2558237/profile) is the next long, tall Utah cover guy with great potential, and getting long, athletic Western Michigan pass rusher Keion Adams late in the seventh will pay dividends.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804541/article/2017-nfl-draft-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Mark Maske - Washington Post - B+

T.J. Watt was worth a first-round pick, and second-round WR JuJu Smith-Schuster could carve out a role in Pittsburgh’s powerful offense. But the key selection here could end up being fourth-round QB Joshua Dobbs. The Steelers have struggled to find a capable backup to Ben Roethlisberger and it’s possible that he could become the guy to fill in capably for a few games per season whenever Roethlisberger suffers the consequences of his rugged playing style.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/04/29/2017-afc-draft-grades-texans-steelers-grab-quarterbacks-and-high-marks/?utm_term=.2f954a9d23c2

pczach
04-30-2017, 09:49 AM
This is the beauty of the draft. It shows the diverse views that every single set of eyes has on the same players.

Are any of them right? Am I right about anything? I have no idea.

All I know is that I hope the team was right in who they drafted.

polamalubeast
04-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Steelers get a C here

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/30/which-team-won-the-nfl-draft-in-the-afc-north/ (http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/30/which-team-won-the-nfl-draft-in-the-afc-north/)

GBMelBlount
04-30-2017, 04:37 PM
Steelers get a C here

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/30/which-team-won-the-nfl-draft-in-the-afc-north/ (http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/30/which-team-won-the-nfl-draft-in-the-afc-north/)

We're doomed.

Craic
04-30-2017, 04:41 PM

I think that was pretty much on display this weekend.

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 04:43 PM
They also took "toolsy" athletes/projects from Round 1 through the UDFA period. DE they signed after the draft may not be able to play football but is one hell of an athlete.

This is there new draft model - high athletic upside and let's hope they can coach them up.

Don't know why anyone is surprised.

Six Rings
04-30-2017, 05:17 PM
All draft the day after look good on paper. I thought Day one was excellent, day two solid, day three, on the weak side.

A 6-7 type of draft, which is better than average but hardly 1974, or 1987 good!

86WARD
04-30-2017, 05:38 PM
So pointless...lol.

DesertSteel
04-30-2017, 05:41 PM
Steelers get a C here

We got an A here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804541/article/2017-nfl-draft-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 05:47 PM
We got an A here:

lol he only gave 1 team a sub B grade ( 1 c ) that is carefully not alienating any fan base from you reader base , I mean it is impossible for every team to get a good grade , only so many good players to give every team no less than a C for an over all grade it has to be done on a huge curve .. otherwise its impossible

DesertSteel
04-30-2017, 06:09 PM
lol he only gave 1 team a sub B grade ( 1 c ) that is carefully not alienating any fan base from you reader base , I mean it is impossible for every team to get a good grade , only so many good players to give every team no less than a C for an over all grade it has to be done on a huge curve .. otherwise its impossible
I don't care for those type of graders too much either. On the other hand, some guys who hand out bad grades are doing it for shock effect. It's all an exercise in futility until the draft class is 2-3 years in.

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 06:12 PM
I don't care for those type of graders too much either. On the other hand, some guys who hand out bad grades are doing it for shock effect. It's all an exercise in futility until the draft class is 2-3 years in.

I agree we just do not know until they have played its all projection

that being said Luke Easterling the author of the one I posted is where many go to for player evals and he bases his grades from those evals and team needs ... probably the only fare way to do it but it is still assuming the evals are correct

FrancoLambert
04-30-2017, 07:32 PM
If accuracy is your thing, everyone should vote in 2 years. :wink02:

DesertSteel
04-30-2017, 07:34 PM
I agree we just do not know until they have played its all projection

that being said Luke Easterling the author of the one I posted is where many go to for player evals and he bases his grades from those evals and team needs ... probably the only fare way to do it but it is still assuming the evals are correct
I think the top 2 picks are gonna be stars. That will make the draft. After that, of one if the five remaining becomes a solid contributor it will be the icing on the cake.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Yes, and I think it can also be out of ignorance.

A lot of pundits only have a broad understanding of team needs.

However once the reasoning for a pick is better understood it can make a lot more sense.

AtlantaDan
04-30-2017, 08:07 PM
All draft the day after look good on paper. I thought Day one was excellent, day two solid, day three, on the weak side.

A 6-7 type of draft, which is better than average but hardly 1974, or 1987 good!

1974 good has never happened again for any team and I doubt ever will

FWIW do not sleep on the 1971 draft

If '74 was the most glamorous draft in NFL history, the Steelers' '71 draft may have been its most productive, the one that formed the backbone for at least their first two Super Bowls....

The Elite Eight of '71 included wide receiver Frank Lewis, Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham, guard Gerry "Moon" Mullins, defensive end Dwight White, tight end/tackle Larry Brown, defensive tackle Ernie "Fats" Holmes, safety Mike Wagner and cornerback Glenn Edwards, signed as an undrafted rookie running back who the Steelers converted to defense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2011/04/25/Steelers-found-eight-Super-Bowl-starters-in-1971-draft/stories/201104250160?pgpageversion=pgevoke

Steeldude
05-01-2017, 01:08 AM

How does that explain Shamarko Thomas? Haha

StillCurtains
05-01-2017, 01:08 AM

I like the Watt pick! Fiery guy with attitude and will work his butt off. He won't accept failure.

JuJu- I like him and we need a guy like him. I just feel he could have been had in the 4th.

Sutton - Let me say this first. The Steelers need to stop playing nice feeling that teams are going to wait around and let players drop to them. There is no way you don't make a play for the talent they had in the 2nd at corner.
They had 2-3rds and I would have offered my 1st 3rd and our 6th to move up.
Taking a long snapper is unacceptable. They could have signed a UDFA for long snapper.

Now to Sutton - Being that he was picked in the 3rd I liked the pick. This is one of the better picks in the draft. He is a natural cover corner with ball skills who I assure you will be the best cover corner on the team. Burns is better all around of course, but Sutton is better in coverage. The kid is slightly smaller than Cockrell but is better than him. Sutton just needs better run support tackling. Sutton can play boundary as well as slot but has mostly been a boundary corner.

Conner - Like the pick but not here. He could have been had in the 5th. For this 2nd 3rd Round pick I would have landed the best valued player of ILB or OLB.

Dobbs - Don't like this pick. Would have went WR here. Too high to pick for someone of his skillset. Also fumbles alot.

Allen - Ehh, has the height and atheletic ability but not a true natural corner. Steelers do terrible with corners in late rounds. Doubt he makes the team.

Longsnapper- Yuck, as I said I would have used this pick for a trade to move up in the 2nd. If that didn't work, I go BPA at S, ILB, or OLB.

Adams - Can't argue the pick. I would have went BPA at S, OLB, ILB or DE. Not much to be expected out of a 7th round pick.

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2017, 01:58 AM
Grading a draft before anyone plays a down is of course nonsense but writers publish what fans want to read - links to some draft grades

Mel Kiper - ESPN - B+ (might be behind paywall)

James Conner (http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3045147/james-conner) is a great story and pretty good player, but there were better backs available

All in all, needs filled.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18974431/2017-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-grades-draft-class-all-32-teams

https://images.scribblelive.com/2016/4/28/2eca5acd-1c64-4560-a672-58a75734dab5.jpg

zulater
12-20-2017, 08:09 AM
obviously ( in my best Mike Tomlin voice ) its all projection but based on evidence we have seen from college tape
I think we left more talent and greater needs unattended or properly attended ( again my opinion )

so for that reason I give this draft a 4 out of 10 , I think we over drafted a few guys that we could have got later and think we passed on guys we should have taken

but its not my team and I do not get paid to make those decisions

Thankfully so! :lol:

Sorry not picking on ya, just bored and thought it would be fun to revisit some of the draft threads. Looks to me that we got a pretty solid bunch. I can't remember the last time we got 3 high end contributors as rookies? ( T.J., Ju Ju, and Sutton). Connor looks like a keeper too. Hopefully he'll figure out blitz pick ups this offseason, if so I think we bring back Leveon on the franchise tag one more year and mix in Connor for about 75- 100 carries, maybe 15-20 catches and see if he's a possible successor to Bell.

Fire Goodell
12-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Getting 3 starters in the first 3 rounds is extremely solid. TJ and Juju look like they're bound for stardom in this league. Sutton looks solid as well, with good man coverage ability.

Conner has a bright future and looks to be more explosive than he gets credit for. He seems overdue to break a long gainer, we'll see next year.

We'll see about the later half of the draft, though I wonder if someone like Allen could be brought in to shadow pass catching TE's with his height? I know we did something similar to that against the pats in 2011 with Cortez Allen and it worked pretty good. I figure a 6'3 corner with sub 4.5 speed would physically be best suited to handle a TE like Gronk

GBMelBlount
12-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Getting 3 starters in the first 3 rounds is extremely solid. TJ and Juju look like they're bound for stardom in this league. Sutton looks solid as well, with good man coverage ability.

Conner has a bright future and looks to be more explosive than he gets credit for. He seems overdue to break a long gainer, we'll see next year.

We'll see about the later half of the draft, though I wonder if someone like Allen could be brought in to shadow pass catching TE's with his height? I know we did something similar to that against the pats in 2011 with Cortez Allen and it worked pretty good. I figure a 6'3 corner with sub 4.5 speed would physically be best suited to handle a TE like Gronk

Maybe still early, but so far this draft looks quite good.

st33lersguy
12-20-2017, 06:41 PM
Through 14 games, this is looking like a solid draft thus far. Juju's hit on Barfass alone is worth 1 extra point

Fire Goodell
12-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Maybe still early, but so far this draft looks quite good.

True. Well the #1 and #2 picks are definite starters. TJ has been solid all year and will only get better. Juju looks like a future star. Sutton probably will be an odd man out, though he's looked good when needed. Right now our top 3 CB's are playing really well, Haden, Burns, and Hilton. At worst he'll be a solid #4 CB, which in today's pass happy league is a huge plus.

DesertSteel
12-21-2017, 07:29 AM
True. Well the #1 and #2 picks are definite starters. TJ has been solid all year and will only get better. Juju looks like a future star. Sutton probably will be an odd man out, though he's looked good when needed. Right now our top 3 CB's are playing really well, Haden, Burns, and Hilton. At worst he'll be a solid #4 CB, which in today's pass happy league is a huge plus.
Haden is likely here just one more year.

12-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Homerun and knew Watt was the real deal but JUJU amazing pick! First two picks you can't ask for more and then there is Sutton with lots of potential!

- - - Updated - - -

Haden is likely here just one more year. I highly doubt we will let our best CB walk. He finishes the rest of the year healthy he will be resigned.

12-21-2017, 08:38 AM
https://images.scribblelive.com/2016/4/28/2eca5acd-1c64-4560-a672-58a75734dab5.jpg Mel actually got something right. Don't mind the Conner pick but a round to early. Yes there was better backs like Hunt but Pitt wanted the Hometown feel good story!

12-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Also what I don't like about Conner besides the injuries, is he is a old school 70's and 80's rb and hits the hole hard and fast and that's great! One dimensional and offers little in the passing game I don't dig.