tube517
04-29-2017, 02:51 PM
-Ball skills are average for a former receiver

That is already better than Ike!!! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
04-29-2017, 02:58 PM

teegre
04-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Is Allen the Utah DB that JuJu pushes out of bounds???

polamalubeast
04-29-2017, 03:14 PM

Craic
04-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Guy is 6'3" and runs a 4.48 at 215 pounds with decent to good hands.

This guy may be a Ike Taylor type project. By that I mean, it'll might take him a couple of years to develop into a true NFL CB, but he also may end up being our number 1 CB with that size and speed (which is the comparison I'm making to Ike—took a while to develop, but quietly developed into one of the top CBs in the league while he was playing). Especially if he can press and cover man.

RunNGun
04-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Guy is 6'3" and runs a 4.48 at 215 pounds with decent to good hands.

This guy may be a Ike Taylor type project. By that I mean, it'll might take him a couple of years to develop into a true NFL CB, but he also may end up being our number 1 CB with that size and speed (which is the comparison I'm making to Ike—took a while to develop, but quietly developed into one of the top CBs in the league while he was playing). Especially if he can press and cover man.

I think you're right about that. He will def need some time to develop, but if he reaches his ceiling, he could very well be the best corner on this team. The ceiling is the roof!

pczach
04-29-2017, 06:24 PM
Here's a highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1fr6dFasQs

He's a converted WR that recently moved to corner. He's 6' 3" 215. Ran 4.48 at combine.

He has natural press cover skills. He's physical at the LOS with a good punch to disrupt routes and with his length has excellent instincts in trail coverage on deep routes.

He's very raw. He needs to work on footwork and some technique, and he's not a confident tackler. He needs to work on some things but he's a very athletic big man.

I've had my eye on him since the beginning of the evaluation process. I got to see him play, and I was impressed with the way he moves, the physical style in press coverage, and his natural ball skills and cover skills.

He's one of those guys that if he develops the way you think he could, he could be an absolute steal with his athleticism and size.

RunNGun
04-29-2017, 07:41 PM
I have been looking at the combine stats for all the players we have drafted and what stood out to me was that Allen at his size, had the 3Rd quickest feet of all players at the combine. He could be special.

Craic
04-30-2017, 08:02 AM
Is Allen the Utah DB that JuJu pushes out of bounds???

Nope. I took a look at that again. It's not.

teegre
04-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Nope. I took a look at that again. It's not.

Whew!!! Thank goodness.

pczach
04-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Whew!!! Thank goodness.

JuJu is a Bad Man with the ball in his hands! He will make a lot of grown men look very bad.

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 11:41 AM
read everywhere pretty much that Allen is not a good tackler ....

I listened to Lake speak about him and he seems to think the opposite or at least to a large degree the opposite ...

I am still looking for decent film on him seems all I have found is highlight clips

Born2Steel
04-30-2017, 12:53 PM
read everywhere pretty much that Allen is not a good tackler ....

I listened to Lake speak about him and he seems to think the opposite or at least to a large degree the opposite ...

I am still looking for decent film on him seems all I have found is highlight clips

Obviously he wasn't a starter for the Utes. Would need to find games that he played snaps in and dig thru that. I'm going to trust Lake's assessment for now and see how he picks things up in TC. The athlete i like a lot. He will still have a very difficult road to make the 53. More likely a PS guy for next season, you have to think, right?

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Obviously he wasn't a starter for the Utes. Would need to find games that he played snaps in and dig thru that. I'm going to trust Lake's assessment for now and see how he picks things up in TC. The athlete i like a lot. He will still have a very difficult road to make the 53. More likely a PS guy for next season, you have to think, right?

that would be my guess as well , but they may try and keep him on the 53 if he offers some ST ability ( and he may with his size /speed ) if memory serves using Ike Taylor as a reference they kept him on the 53 even though he was very raw because they feared someone stealing him over the traits whether or not that is a fair comparison or not remains to be seen ...guess we just have to wait and see

speaking of Ike he tweeted we will be seeing a lot of this young man , so maybe they feel he isnt as far off as his press indicates ?

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 01:15 PM
From what I've read Allen already plays man coverage on the deep routes really really well. So perhaps he makes the final roster and gets a hat on gameday as specialized man cover DB with zero other responsibilities to get him confused? Kind of like how Gilbert was deployed that one time last year as TE eraser?

Shoes
04-30-2017, 01:30 PM
]From what I've read Allen already plays man coverage on the deep routes really really well. [/B]So perhaps he makes the final roster and gets a hat on gameday as specialized man cover DB with zero other responsibilities to get him confused? Kind of like how Gilbert was deployed that one time last year as TE eraser?

Same here, I think he'll have a good chance of making the roster and probably is a lot smarter than Gilbert

Craic
04-30-2017, 04:36 PM
From what I've read Allen already plays man coverage on the deep routes really really well. So perhaps he makes the final roster and gets a hat on gameday as specialized man cover DB with zero other responsibilities to get him confused? Kind of like how Gilbert was deployed that one time last year as TE eraser?

That'd make sense. Or, they give him a safety position and tell him to go play catch. I love the way he attacks the ball at the highest point (unless his highlight reel is a vast lie compared to his other body of work).

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 08:32 PM
I am not much for highlights , was able to find this , every snap on def vs ucla ... he gave up a couple short passes , gambled going for a pick and gave up a TD and snagged 2 picks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g21kWCaY2gM

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 08:56 PM
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/brian-allen-2017

Total size prospect. The only thing I have found not to like about this project - Allen will be 24 during his rookie year.

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2017, 09:08 PM
For those of you worried about his astronomically bad 20 yard shuttle time of 4.34 (13th percentile), he improved it to 4.18 (48th percentile) at his pro day

BurghBoy412
04-30-2017, 09:25 PM
https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/brian-allen-2017

Total size prospect. The only thing I have found not to like about this project - Allen will be 24 during his rookie year.
I don't understand why age 24 is viewed as such a bad thing?

Dwinsgames
04-30-2017, 09:30 PM
I don't understand why age 24 is viewed as such a bad thing?

its not a big big deal with a player ready to step in day 1 , but when said player is a project that may take a couple years to get up to speed you take that 24 and add the 2 years before he can be of much help and all the sudden he is 26 before making much of an impact ...

I do not look at it as a deal breaker but it is a knock of sorts ...

but hey its a 5th round pick there is always going to be some sort of downside to it

BurghBoy412
04-30-2017, 09:35 PM
I am not much for highlights , was able to find this , every snap on def vs ucla ... he gave up a couple short passes , gambled going for a pick and gave up a TD and snagged 2 picks

I like how he got beat for the long TD, but kept his head and came up with his 2nd INT later. One thing this tape doesn't show is his ability to play the run or the WR screen. On the plays where he could've got in the mix on a tackle he was content to stand there and let the other guys do the work. It's got me wondering if he's the kind of CB that avoids contact.

Born2Steel
05-01-2017, 12:00 PM
I like how he got beat for the long TD, but kept his head and came up with his 2nd INT later. One thing this tape doesn't show is his ability to play the run or the WR screen. On the plays where he could've got in the mix on a tackle he was content to stand there and let the other guys do the work. It's got me wondering if he's the kind of CB that avoids contact.

He's a converted WR. He's going to have to learn to initiate contact, tackle, and pursue the ball. Ball skills should be his best attribute. Understandable tackling would be an issue.

DesertSteel
05-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Ints looked nice. The missed tackle for the TD looked horrific.

ALLD
05-01-2017, 02:36 PM
The last time I watched the Pro Bowl they let AB switch to CB and he got torched.

RunNGun
05-01-2017, 06:07 PM
In my opinion they keep Allen on the 53 in fear of losing him to practice squad thieves. I'm not finding much film on him either. He didn't start at Utah??

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2017, 06:41 PM
In my opinion they keep Allen on the 53 in fear of losing him to practice squad thieves. I'm not finding much film on him either. He didn't start at Utah??

whens the last time the steelers have seemingly done this? im curious because this is a narrative that gets talked about every season

RunNGun
05-01-2017, 06:59 PM
whens the last time the steelers have seemingly done this? im curious because this is a narrative that gets talked about every season

That I don't know. History is probably not in his favor. Maybe they cut Heyward Bey this year in hopes of Allen taking his place on special teams and roll with 6 corners. If he outplays Golson I believe he sticks. Allen could also serve as an emergency WR. :)