PDA

View Full Version : Josh Dobbs

Dwinsgames
04-29-2017, 12:47 PM
its one thing to take a QB over a higher ranked pos player of need because for no other reason than he is a QB and the important's of the position ...

BUT.......

when he is probably the 3rd best QB left on the board I think its a clear reach

Kayaa and Peterman still on board and you take Dobbs I must wonder what they are looking at other than ability to extend plays and him being smart ..

the fact is he is just not an accurate QB and that is high ( or should be ) on the list of what you are looking for but I digress

DesertSteel
04-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Great hate thread.

Dwinsgames
04-29-2017, 12:53 PM
Great hate thread.

sorry If I am not going to drink the team flavored koolaid just because its from the team

I have my own opinions , America is great like that

Edman
04-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Looked at his highlights. Another dual-threat gimmick like Kordell and Vick.

If Ben goes down, this team is in trouble.

I really don't dig this guy at all.

DesertSteel
04-29-2017, 12:58 PM
sorry If I am not going to drink the team flavored koolaid just because its from the team

I have my own opinions , America is great like that

Sorry if I value the team's insight to be greater than yours :).

Dwinsgames
04-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Sorry if I value the team's insight to be greater than yours :).

suit yourself ,but its not like they are infallible so there is that

teegre
04-29-2017, 01:06 PM
One of the biggest indicators of NFL success is completion percentage.

Over 70% good
Under 60% uh oh

59%
63%
59%
63%

Moose
04-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Looked at his highlights. Another dual-threat gimmick like Kordell and Vick.

If Ben goes down, this team is in trouble.

I really don't dig this guy at all.

If Ben goes down within the next couple year's, this team is in trouble anyway. We damn sure don't have a QB now that could carry us into and thru the playoffs ! Just my opinion.

Mojouw
04-29-2017, 01:51 PM
I posted this article earlier this week (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/qbase-2017), and again kinda just let your eyes skip over the maths stuff - and focus on the DYAR #. Only thing we need to know is that the higher that number the better this projection system likes the player. Dobbs has the second highest # behind Mahomes in the class. In fact Mahomes and Dobbs are the only prospects the system doesn't predict to be almost total busts.

oshua Dobbs, Tennessee (66)

Mean Projection in Years 3-5:
419 DYAR

Bust (< 500 DYAR)
53.8%

Adequate Starter (500-1499 DYAR)
26.1%

Upper Tier (1500-2500 DYAR)
14.3%

Elite (>2500 DYAR)
5.8%

"Dobbs seems to be this year's "late riser," getting talked up more and more as we get closer to the draft. Normally, these late-rising quarterbacks are players who dazzle in workouts but had unimpressive college production. That's not the case with Dobbs. As noted above, Dobbs and Deshaun Watson are the only 2017 draft prospects who had their teams in the top ten of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a mid-round pick. (emphasis mine)"

DesertSteel
04-29-2017, 01:59 PM
suit yourself ,but its not like they are infallible so there is that
I just don't hate on a guy JUST BECAUSE I would've picked someone else. I'm not a full-time scout; maybe you are. On the occasion where I have had the chance to watch someone play a few times, I'll have more of an opinion. Just gleaning through some online snippets and mock drafts doesn't give me better insight than an entire scouting department. The couple times I watched Dobbs play this year, I liked him. Obviously the other 31 teams don't think that highly of Kaaya or Peterman either as their names haven't been called.

- - - Updated - - -

I posted this article earlier this week (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/qbase-2017), and again kinda just let your eyes skip over the maths stuff - and focus on the DYAR #. Only thing we need to know is that the higher that number the better this projection system likes the player. Dobbs has the second highest # behind Mahomes in the class. In fact Mahomes and Dobbs are the only prospects the system doesn't predict to be almost total busts.

419 DYAR

Bust (< 500 DYAR)
53.8%

26.1%

14.3%

Elite (>2500 DYAR)
5.8%

"Dobbs seems to be this year's "late riser," getting talked up more and more as we get closer to the draft. Normally, these late-rising quarterbacks are players who dazzle in workouts but had unimpressive college production. That's not the case with Dobbs. As noted above, Dobbs and Deshaun Watson are the only 2017 draft prospects who had their teams in the top ten of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a mid-round pick. (emphasis mine)"
Good stuff Mojouw

polamalubeast
04-29-2017, 02:01 PM
The next Landry Jones

Not Good.

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2017, 02:03 PM

419 DYAR

Bust (< 500 DYAR)
53.8%

26.1%

14.3%

Elite (>2500 DYAR)
5.8%

Am I reading this wrong, or is Dobbs "DYAR" still projected towards him being a bust?

Mojouw
04-29-2017, 02:09 PM
Am I reading this wrong, or is Dobbs "DYAR" still projected towards him being a bust?

Nope. Got that right. For this year's class DYAR projects EVERY prospect as having a 45%+ chance of busting out. Mahomes, Trubisky, then Dobbs are the "lowest" bust chances.

Kizer 65%, Peterman 71.6%, and Kaaya at 60.9% "bust" rates.

And I actually read the chart wrong, it has Trubisky a few points ahead of Dobbs. Still, relative to THIS QB class only, Steelers got equivalent projections almost 3 full round later...

Craic
04-29-2017, 02:33 PM
I also found this interesting.

Dobbs and Deshaun Watson are the only 2017 draft prospects who had their teams in the top ten of our college passing ratings, and the Volunteers faced the No. 2 toughest schedule of opposing pass defenses, trailing only Clemson. Dobbs' stats were much better in his senior year than in previous seasons, but that usually suggests quarterback growth rather than a one-year wonder. Dobbs is this year's best chance at finding a starting-quality quarterback with a mid-round pick.

So, he faces much better defenses this year and his game gets better as well. Sure, I'd be willing to take a fourth round flyer on him. On the off chance he does work out well, it's much better to spend a fourth round on a QB than a first round pick, especially when we're hoping never to have a bad enough record to be able to pick a QB that is projected to start his first year.

slippy
04-29-2017, 02:36 PM
dont really get this pick. he will compete for third string. would of rather had Jake Butt here and a qb in R5 or never.

DesertSteel
04-29-2017, 02:45 PM
Intelligence: Knowing what I know and knowing what I don't know.

What I know: The Steelers need a developmental QB that can potentially be the heir apparent in 2-3 years.
What I don't know: How good Joshua Dobbs can be.

Craic
04-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Intelligence: Knowing what I know and knowing what I don't know.

What I know: The Steelers need a developmental QB that can potentially be the heir apparent in 2-3 years.
What I don't know: How good Joshua Dobbs can be.

Personally, I would've preferred getting someone with more "right now" ability next year (but maybe we'll still do that). Nevertheless, after watching just a little tape, I'm excited to see what this kid can do with more development. The game is not going to be too much for him from the neck up. That's a big plus right there. I think a big part of the learning curve is the massive playbook NFL teams have. Looking forward to seeing him in the preseason and just watching what he can do.

As for those who sniping at him because he's a running QB—I like the idea of a running QB as long as he is willing to sit in the pocket until he's forced out. He showed a few NFL type throws where he stood in the pocket and got hit pretty well, but made the pass in pressure situations. To me, that's enough to take a 4th round chance on the kid.

Born2Steel
04-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Smokescreen!!! We're drafting Kaaya in the 6th.

teegre
04-29-2017, 03:14 PM

That's I read it, too.

BUST < 500 ... 2500 < ELITE

Dobbs was a 419.

Craic
04-29-2017, 03:58 PM
That's I read it, too.

BUST < 500 ... 2500 < ELITE

Dobbs was a 419.

Yep, but many of the "Much better" QBs also projected as a bust. So for a fourth round pick, he may be a bit of a risk as a fourth rounder, but it's a low four round pick, so it's not that much. If he busts, it's not like we've lost a first or second round pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Smokescreen!!! We're drafting Kaaya in the 6th.

With how difficult it is to break in QBs and the luck we've had with back ups, I'd be okay with it. We've filled our need at CB, especially if Lewis signs with us. We've also addressed the second RB and the Edge rusher. So it's not like we have any positions to fill that's a need. These are more luxury picks at this point for us . . . players that may or may not make the practice squad unless do something explosively good. So yeah, pop in another QB and let's see what they can do.

RunNGun
04-29-2017, 04:09 PM
There's no chance in hell we take 2 QBs

DesertSteel
04-29-2017, 04:32 PM
There's no chance in hell we take 2 QBs
I like the idea of 2 Longsnappers. One more in the 7th.

pczach
04-29-2017, 06:39 PM
I wanted the team to take a player at a position of need, but that was just my opinion.

I completely understand why they drafted a QB.

Here's the thing about Dobbs. He's a really smart kid. He is wildly inconsistent, particularly with his accuracy. I'm sure the Steelers are looking at all the good they see in him, love his intelligence, and see many of his deficiencies as stuff that can be coached out of him and corrected now that he can work on his craft more than 20 hours a week like in college.

I see a lot of good in Dobbs. The reason I wasn't higher on him is exactly what the team believes they can correct and get him to improve with time. Remember, we have Ben in all likelihood for at least a few more years. The kid has time. I feel like I know a decent amount about evaluating talent, but the Steelers and their scouts know what they're doing and I trust that they have a plan for this kid.

For the record, I hated the Landry Jones pick years ago because I thought the team had too many other needs to address when the roster was weak, and I didn't believe in him as a QB. Jones' head was what I was most afraid of. I feel much better about Dobbs than I did about Jones. He shows flashes of brilliance, and if they can get him to eliminate some of the things that make him inconsistent....he has a chance to be a good quarterback.

I defer to the expertise of the team and their assessment of Dobbs. I hope he turns into a perennial All-Pro when Ben finally retires.

Shoes
04-29-2017, 10:17 PM
I wanted the team to take a player at a position of need, but that was just my opinion.

I completely understand why they drafted a QB.

Here's the thing about Dobbs. He's a really smart kid. He is wildly inconsistent, particularly with his accuracy. I'm sure the Steelers are looking at all the good they see in him, love his intelligence, and see many of his deficiencies as stuff that can be coached out of him and corrected now that he can work on his craft more than 20 hours a week like in college.

I see a lot of good in Dobbs. The reason I wasn't higher on him is exactly what the team believes they can correct and get him to improve with time. Remember, we have Ben in all likelihood for at least a few more years. The kid has time. I feel like I know a decent amount about evaluating talent, but the Steelers and their scouts know what they're doing and I trust that they have a plan for this kid.

For the record, I hated the Landry Jones pick years ago because I thought the team had too many other needs to address when the roster was weak, and I didn't believe in him as a QB. Jones' head was what I was most afraid of. I feel much better about Dobbs than I did about Jones. He shows flashes of brilliance, and if they can get him to eliminate some of the things that make him inconsistent....he has a chance to be a good quarterback.

I defer to the expertise of the team and their assessment of Dobbs. I hope he turns into a perennial All-Pro when Ben finally retires.

Agreed! And besides all that, this kid worked his A$$ off in school, he actually studied in college and didn't take courses in basket weaving.

Interview with Florio, pre-draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/29/steelers-draft-quarterback-josh-dobbs/

Dwinsgames
04-29-2017, 10:36 PM
fun fact the last Tennessee QB drafted by the Steelers ....... T Martin

DesertSteel
04-29-2017, 10:50 PM
Fun fact about him as that T did what Peyton Manning couldn't and won a National Championship.

st33lersguy
04-29-2017, 10:55 PM
I like the upside, though accuracy is a great concern

Shoes
04-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Pretty good vid on Dobbs

Gruden's Camp With Joshua Dobbs - Full | April 16, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIkhbxgzPxs

polamalubeast
04-30-2017, 07:08 AM

pczach
04-30-2017, 08:37 AM

Why would anyone from the Steelers be saying he is not the successor to Big Ben? It doesn't make any sense.

If he isn't talented enough once they start working with him..... they draft another QB. Why do they need to say that through the media?

Edman
04-30-2017, 09:02 AM
Yeah, like Rooney II is going to come out and say this guy is going to succeed Ben, and throw #7 under the bus. Art II playing the ego game with Dobbs, and ultimately Ben.

Read between the lines. Its the first big challenge to Dobbs to see what kind of player he is mentally, how he responds to it. To see how much he wants this opportunity.

Landry Jones was satisfied just being a backup, and the results show in his attitude and on the field. He'll never be more than what he is.

The gauntlet has been thrown. Only Joshua Dobbs can decide he's a successor to Roethlisberger. If he shocks the world and shows something in preseason, and especially in Ben's absence.

Dak Prescott was a total nobody from Mississippi State and wasn't supposed to succeed Tony Romo. He forced the Cowboys' hand and made Romo retire after a year.

The NFL works in funny ways.

SteelerFanInStl
04-30-2017, 09:16 AM

T Martin is also currently the OC of USC. I kept hearing his name while watching the highlights of JuJu.

86WARD
04-30-2017, 09:16 AM
I haven't watched a lot of tape on Donna but the little I've seen and every single picture I see of him, he just looks like he is struggling, uncomfortable and awkward. Tee Martin looked more comfortable than Dobbs does.

teegre
04-30-2017, 09:28 AM
I haven't watched a lot of tape on Donna but the little I've seen and every single picture I see of him, he just looks like he is struggling, uncomfortable and awkward. Tee Martin looked more comfortable than Dobbs does.

That could be because 4 of his starting O-linemen got injured. He was playing behind a piecemeal line (a la BB circa 2008).

JayC
04-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Josh Dobbs: The Rocket Scientist QB Who Could Be the Next NFL Draft Steal

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702761-josh-dobbs-the-rocket-scientist-qb-who-could-be-the-next-nfl-draft-steal

Shoes
04-30-2017, 01:46 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702761-josh-dobbs-the-rocket-scientist-qb-who-could-be-the-next-nfl-draft-steal

Good read, thanks for the link.

WCSteeler
04-30-2017, 02:11 PM
I get why the Steelers drafted a QB but why Josh Dobbs? A triple option QB who stuggles with accuracy and fumbles too often in the most physical division in football. Couple that with the fact that the Steelers are built to have a traditional pocket passer under center not a guy who according to the tape looks over his reads and when he sees nothing there makes a run for it. All I can imagine is the Steelers saw nothing they liked in the drafted and just grabbed someone knowing full well Ben will be injured at some point during the season and miss a couple of games and Lord knows they can't rely on L.Jones. This organization should have a single outstanding NEED in the very first round of next years draft with the expectation of trading up, to find Ben's successor.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2017, 02:19 PM
I hope the Steelers trade up to the first half of the first round next year and grab one of the top QB's in next years draft.

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 02:36 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/4/20/15361900/joshua-dobbs-pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-draft

The biggest thing that stands out here is: "He might be one of the better deep-ball passers in football based on his 47.7 percent completion rate and 14 touchdowns on passes of 21 yards or more,” NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks wrote (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000796674/article/mts-notes-teams-looking-for-next-dak-should-consider-dobbs), and Dobbs is also known for a quick release."

So basically, everything that Landry Jones is NOT good at. Haley's offense (when all the weapons are healthy) is deep ball goofy, so the Steelers pick the best deep ball passer in the draft (I would dispute this after watching tape of Mahomes and Kelly, but still Dobbs isn't baaaddd) and everyone still freaks out.

So, I don't want Landry Jones, but I don't want to devote resources to improvement either -- so what you just want to piss and moan?

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2017, 03:29 PM

that was really cool. not a big fan of the pick but ill give him 4 years to prove me wrong

polamalubeast
04-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Iron Steeler
04-30-2017, 06:47 PM

419 DYAR

Bust (< 500 DYAR)
53.8%

26.1%

14.3%

Elite (>2500 DYAR)
5.8%

What is DYAR?

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 06:53 PM
What is DYAR?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#dyar

It is an attempt to mathematically quantify how good a player either is or projects to be:

"As noted earlier, the challenge of any new stat is to present it on a scale that’s meaningful to those attempting to use it. Saying that Tony Romo's passes were worth 40 success value points over replacement in 2014 has very little value without a context to tell us if 40 is good total or a bad one. Therefore, we translate these success values into a number called "Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement, or DYAR. Thus, Romo was fifth among quarterbacks with 1,187 passing DYAR (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2014). It is our estimate that a generic replacement-level quarterback, throwing in the same situations as Romo, would have been worth 1,187 fewer yards. Note that this doesn’t mean the replacement level quarterback would have gained exactly 1,187 fewer yards. First downs, touchdowns, and turnovers all have an estimated yardage value in this system, so what we are saying is that a generic replacement-level quarterback would have fewer yards and touchdowns (and more turnovers) that would total up to be equivalent to the value of 1,187 yards."

Higher number = good, lower number = bad is the easiest way to bottom line it. For some additional context, this system basically spat out the same projection #'s and percentages for Dak Prescott last season.

Iron Steeler
04-30-2017, 07:03 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods#dyar

It is an attempt to mathematically quantify how good a player either is or projects to be:

"As noted earlier, the challenge of any new stat is to present it on a scale that’s meaningful to those attempting to use it. Saying that Tony Romo's passes were worth 40 success value points over replacement in 2014 has very little value without a context to tell us if 40 is good total or a bad one. Therefore, we translate these success values into a number called "Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement, or DYAR. Thus, Romo was fifth among quarterbacks with 1,187 passing DYAR (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2014). It is our estimate that a generic replacement-level quarterback, throwing in the same situations as Romo, would have been worth 1,187 fewer yards. Note that this doesn’t mean the replacement level quarterback would have gained exactly 1,187 fewer yards. First downs, touchdowns, and turnovers all have an estimated yardage value in this system, so what we are saying is that a generic replacement-level quarterback would have fewer yards and touchdowns (and more turnovers) that would total up to be equivalent to the value of 1,187 yards."

Higher number = good, lower number = bad is the easiest way to bottom line it. For some additional context, this system basically spat out the same projection #'s and percentages for Dak Prescott last season.

Oh mannn , I don't think I studied this chapter. Can I steal your notes?

Lol but for real , I dont fully understand the stat. But if Dobbs is equal to Mahomes thats not a bad thing

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Oh mannn , I don't think I studied this chapter. Can I steal your notes?

Lol but for real , I dont fully understand the stat. But if Dobbs is equal to Mahomes thats not a bad thing

Honestly, I don't fully understand it either. The website and folks that developed it have been attempting to bring "analytics" to football for over a decade now. Some of their stats and ideas have a good track record. These include the idea that +60% college completion percentage is the only thing that is really predictive of NFL success and that you don't run the ball to win but you run the ball to preserve a win, and a few other things.

What they are trying to do with DYAR (and its companion of DVOA) is to put a tangible number on how much better or worse a given player is than an AVERAGE NFL player in the same situation. Best analogy is the WAR stat in baseball. The trouble with all of this stuff is that you either like it or you don't. For me, I see the power that analytics had in baseball and would welcome the same impact on football. I tend to just ignore the math and focus on the bottom line of the number.

However, analytics is going to have a really tough road to acceptance in the NFL community until it can start predicting things -- and I don't think it can yet. Like I said, Dak Prescott had about the same projections as Dobbs in the system last year.

FrancoLambert
04-30-2017, 07:25 PM
I hope the Steelers trade up to the first half of the first round next year and grab one of the top QB's in next years draft.

They probably will.

As Ben's window closes, it's necessary to throw the dice more often when it comes to finding a successor.

Do your homework as an organization and take your shot.....draft a QB prospect each year until you hit on one.

Iron Steeler
04-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Honestly, I don't fully understand it either. The website and folks that developed it have been attempting to bring "analytics" to football for over a decade now. Some of their stats and ideas have a good track record. These include the idea that +60% college completion percentage is the only thing that is really predictive of NFL success and that you don't run the ball to win but you run the ball to preserve a win, and a few other things.

What they are trying to do with DYAR (and its companion of DVOA) is to put a tangible number on how much better or worse a given player is than an AVERAGE NFL player in the same situation. Best analogy is the WAR stat in baseball. The trouble with all of this stuff is that you either like it or you don't. For me, I see the power that analytics had in baseball and would welcome the same impact on football. I tend to just ignore the math and focus on the bottom line of the number.

However, analytics is going to have a really tough road to acceptance in the NFL community until it can start predicting things -- and I don't think it can yet. Like I said, Dak Prescott had about the same projections as Dobbs in the system last year.

Do they have a DYAR on Tom Brady or Roethlisberger?

Mojouw
04-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Do they have a DYAR on Tom Brady or Roethlisberger?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

GBMelBlount
04-30-2017, 07:51 PM
They probably will.

As Ben's window closes, it's necessary to throw the dice more often when it comes to finding a successor.

Do your homework as an organization and take your shot.....draft a QB prospect each year until you hit on one.

Well, I think the odds of getting a quality starting QB if they trade into the first half of the first round is good.

Are you from New Jersey?

st33lersguy
04-30-2017, 09:37 PM
Dobbs and Shazier, long lost cousins, yay or nay?

http://gridironnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/joshdobbslede.jpg

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2013/11/26/600x600/s4ryan.jpg

Nadroj 20
05-01-2017, 11:21 AM
I wanted Peterman but his ceiling is probably too low.

BnG_Hevn
05-01-2017, 11:38 AM
People are comparing him to Dak Prescott.

Intelligence in the classroom <> intelligence on the football field.

SteelerFanInStl
05-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Prescott was a better QB in college than Dobbs. I don't know why people are making the comparison.

Edman
05-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Dak Prescott is not really a good comparison either. Prescott's still unproven, and is 0 for 1 in the postseason, and is not even known if the guy (as well as the Cowboys) are a one-hit wonder or not. The 2016 Cowboys are the 2015 Panthers. Came out of nowhere, and surprised everyone.

And Dobbs may have a brain in the classroom, but his field football tape says otherwise.

The guy is strictly a clipboard holder until proven otherwise.

tube517
05-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Dobbs and Shazier, long lost cousins, yay or nay?

http://gridironnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/joshdobbslede.jpg

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2013/11/26/600x600/s4ryan.jpg

Their other "cousin" plays in the NBA for the Mavericks:

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/2792.png&w=350&h=254

Steeldude
05-01-2017, 05:47 PM
So according to their DYAR Dobbs is a bust.

Mojouw
05-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Basically. But the good news is that he is the same level of Bust as the 1st round QBs. Point is, Dobbs is going to stink most likely. But his "value" was the best in this draft class. He has just a good chance of not stinking as Mahomes, but cost far less in draft resources.

However, that is all basically mumbo-jumbo. The search is still on for a decent Steelers QB not named Ben Roethlisberger.

SteelMayhem72
05-01-2017, 07:19 PM
I have tennessee homers at work saying he will be replacing ben (obvious idiots) and they dont realize he will be 3rd string at best...hes not that good and he was strictly a spread one read and run qb

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Born2Steel
05-01-2017, 07:56 PM
http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121216aae.html

Take a better look at the player, not just the numbers. His numbers that are the red flags for me are the sacked numbers. 45 times in his last 26 games. That does not sound like a 1 read and run QB to me, but it does point to bad decision making. I know this guy can learn, he's very freakin' smart. Time will tell if he can play football at this level.

st33lersguy
05-01-2017, 08:19 PM

4th round is less costly though

teegre
05-01-2017, 09:20 PM
+60% college completion percentage is the only thing that is really predictive of NFL success

Yep.
That's the only QB stat that I look at.

Speaking of which, for Dobbs: 59%, 63%, 59%, 63%.

DesertSteel
05-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Steelers QB coach said that the lower completion percentage was not a concern because his coaches wanted him throwing down field and he didn't get to pad his completion rate with screen passes.

teegre
05-01-2017, 09:49 PM
Steelers QB coach said that the lower completion percentage was not a concern because his coaches wanted him throwing down field and he didn't get to pad his completion rate with screen passes.

Nice

Similarly, his sack numbers are probably a result of an awful/injury-plagued O-line.

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2017, 10:46 PM
Makes me feel better than ive read apparently that his receivers pretty much sucked in general, RB Alvin Kamara was constantly banged up and missed a ton of time, and also apparently every member of his O-line was injured for extended periods of time. Still expect this guy to be one of our picks that doesnt really pan out but im trying to look at the glass half full

SteelerFanInStl
05-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Nice

Similarly, his sack numbers are probably a result of an awful/injury-plagued O-line.

Yea, their OL was terrible.

I'm still not a big fan of him though.

DesertSteel
05-02-2017, 06:18 PM
He's boom or bust. Can't ask for more out of a 4th round QB.

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2017, 08:08 PM
Asked and Answered: May 2

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

Can you see Joshua Dobbs potentially taking Landry Jones’ spot as the backup quarterback this year?

ANSWER: This year? Just stop it. Seriously. Stop it.

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-1/Asked-and-Answered-May-2/a5c7044b-8d8b-4a69-bd29-

BlackAndGold
05-02-2017, 11:05 PM
Asked and Answered: May 2

Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

Can you see Joshua Dobbs potentially taking Landry Jones’ spot as the backup quarterback this year?

ANSWER: This year? Just stop it. Seriously. Stop it.

http://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered/article-1/Asked-and-Answered-May-2/a5c7044b-8d8b-4a69-bd29-

Dak Prescott wouldn't even have been ahead of Landry Jones.

DesertSteel
05-02-2017, 11:20 PM
Dak Prescott wouldn't even have been ahead of Landry Jones.
Yeah I refuse to believe that there are only 10 guys in the world who can play the QB position well. I think many guys never get the chance until circumstances force it (e.g., Kurt Warner, Dak Prescott).

ALLD
05-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Lots of rookie QBs end up running for their lives and never get a decent chance.

Craic
05-03-2017, 11:59 PM
Makes me feel better than ive read apparently that his receivers pretty much sucked in general, RB Alvin Kamara was constantly banged up and missed a ton of time, and also apparently every member of his O-line was injured for extended periods of time. Still expect this guy to be one of our picks that doesnt really pan out but im trying to look at the glass half full

Makes me happy to hear that as well.

I don't know why, but I find myself rooting for these draft picks to make the team more than I have for any player in a quite a while. Perhaps it's because so far, they all come across as smart, level-headed, hard-working early 20-somethings that aren't taking anything for granted.