polamalubeast
04-28-2017, 10:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/cameron-sutton?id=2557902

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Great pick.

polamalubeast
04-28-2017, 10:09 PM
I am happy that Sutton can play man to man....

st33lersguy
04-28-2017, 10:12 PM
The man corner the steelers needed. Like it

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 10:14 PM
This makes the bad taste of receiver easier to take. Much easier.

WCSteeler
04-28-2017, 10:17 PM
Where's the like button?

DesertSteel
04-28-2017, 10:42 PM
Dude has some tiny hands. Lol. Hope he can play.

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 10:49 PM
If somehow Golson can make it back, secondary is looking very nice all of a sudden.

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 10:57 PM
If somehow Golson can make it back, secondary is looking very nice all of a sudden.

Yep. If Sutton beats out Cockrell, Cockrell makes for a great backup.

Craic
04-28-2017, 10:59 PM
I agree. Cockrell is okay as a starter, but to have someone of his caliber on the bench as a backup? That's a luxury we haven't had in years.

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 10:59 PM

I think Sutton upgrades Gay/Sensabaugh. Sensabaugh probably gets waived. Golson will backup until he gets back to football speed. He's a wildcard like Sutton. Can play in or out, zone or man.

Steeldude
04-29-2017, 04:11 AM

Or if he beats out Burns.

Steeldude
04-29-2017, 04:21 AM
He is supposedly good at man-to-man, but his highlights don't really show it. The plus side is he can return punts. The one issue that is going to bother me is he does not tackle well at all. Get ready to see flails and arm-less attempts when trying to tackle.

Make that two things. This guy is going to dance and celebrate after any play he makes. No matter how mediocre or routine that play may be.

All remains to be seen, but in my opinion these past two days of the draft do not look promising.

RunNGun
04-29-2017, 06:57 AM
My least favorite pick of the draft. Undersized corner who doesn't have any bulk. He will get rolled against the run. I am guessing he will strictly be in the slot, so he won't have to defend the run much. I could see where he'd be useful against the small twitchy receievers, but if he gets caught against the bigger physical tight ends or Wrs I don't like his chances.

Steelheart
04-29-2017, 07:00 AM
Or if he beats out Burns.

Burns job isn't up for debate even a little. He would have to fall off a cliff.

I actually think Cockrell was the better cover corner last year, but Burns has the higher ceiling and kept improving. No way he loses his spot.

He is supposedly good at man-to-man, but his highlights don't really show it. The plus side is he can return punts. The one issue that is going to bother me is he does not tackle well at all. Get ready to see flails and arm-less attempts when trying to tackle.

Returning punts is a completely moot point. When it comes to the Steelers people shouldn't even talk about KR or PR guys as having extra value and there are multiple reasons.

1. Tomlin doesn't like to use defensive guys to do returns. I think it HAS happened, but it is rare.
2. Tomlin is terrible at identifying the guys who are good at returns. The year we had Todman he was a known commodity at KR and IIRC had a good return for us at one point, but he never got put in. It was insane. Last year we had Justin Gilbert who again, was a known commodity and he never got any chances to do it. When he FINALLY did he actually had a good return for us. Instead we got good ol Fitz running every KR out to the 10 or 15 for us. Oh and remember last year when we drafted Ayers and Danny Smith said he was the highest rated PR guy on their board? How many punts did he return last year?

As for the tackling....it is definitely a concern but most of our defense has trouble tackling so he should fit right in. I'll take a CB who can cover over a physical corner every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Let the safeties and LB's be physical.

Make that two things. This guy is going to dance and celebrate after any play he makes. No matter how mediocre or routine that play may be.

This would definitely upset me and it sounds very much like Mike Mitchell which is not a compliment. I really hope this is not the case.

RunNGun
04-29-2017, 07:07 AM
IMO, Sutton can only cover guys under 6 ft.

BurghBoy412
04-29-2017, 08:10 AM
My least favorite pick of the draft. Undersized corner who doesn't have any bulk. He will get rolled against the run. I am guessing he will strictly be in the slot, so he won't have to defend the run much. I could see where he'd be useful against the small twitchy receievers, but if he gets caught against the bigger physical tight ends or Wrs I don't like his chances.
WOW! Let's kill the guy before he takes one NFL snap.

Born2Steel
04-29-2017, 08:24 AM
WOW! Let's kill the guy before he takes one NFL snap.

This is hilarious. Sutton was a top rated CB before his injury. Now he can't cover, tackle, run, or find Waldo apparently. All I can say is, people need to go check the SU mocks. Sutton is on about half of them.

43Hitman
04-29-2017, 08:29 AM
WOW! Let's kill the guy before he takes one NFL snap.Wait till you join us in a game day thread...:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Sutton played hurt last season (was recovering from a fractured ankle), gee you guys dont think that would affect a cornerback much? he was a potential 1st round pick going into the season. this could be a steal. Well done

pczach
04-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Sutton played hurt last season (was recovering from a fractured ankle), gee you guys dont think that would affect a cornerback much? he was a potential 1st round pick going into the season. this could be a steal. Well done

Exactly

lipps83
04-29-2017, 01:33 PM

Sweed was a top 15 until he blew out his wrist his last season at Texas.

We all know how that turned out, couldn't catch a thing even after it healed.

Ankles are pretty important for CB's.

Either way, I wish the guy the best and welcome to the team.

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Sweed was a top 15 until he blew out his wrist his last season at Texas.

We all know how that turned out, couldn't catch a thing even after it healed.

Ankles are pretty important for CB's.

Either way, I wish the guy the best and welcome to the team.

Give highly rated draft prospects no benefit of the doubt in regards to injuries because of a traumatizing draft pick almost a decade before. Gotcha, Ill pass the word down to Colbert

Mojouw
04-29-2017, 02:01 PM
Sweed's wrist was only part of the problem. The other part was his largely untreated and debilitating depression.

Craic
04-30-2017, 03:10 AM
Sweed's wrist was only part of the problem. The other part was his largely untreated and debilitating depression.

Huh, didn't know that. Sweed's other problem was a head coach who didn't allow players to work out their problems. Drop a ball, get pulled off the field. Fumble? Get pulled off the field. Anyone remember the 6 fumble game or whatever it was our RBs had in Cleveland? I think all things being equal, if Sweed was drafted today, he'd do better—probably would stick around for a while as a fourth or even 3rd receiver.

pczach
04-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Huh, didn't know that. Sweed's other problem was a head coach who didn't allow players to work out their problems. Drop a ball, get pulled off the field. Fumble? Get pulled off the field. Anyone remember the 6 fumble game or whatever it was our RBs had in Cleveland? I think all things being equal, if Sweed was drafted today, he'd do better—probably would stick around for a while as a fourth or even 3rd receiver.

You never know. It's possible.

Cowher would yank him every time he dropped a ball, and then you have that long walk back to the bench and all the feelings of frustration, embarrassment, and fear of what may happen to you in your career. Some guys thrive with the harsh treatment, some need an arm around the shoulder and a heartfelt talk in the office. I have no idea how Cowher handled him when the cameras weren't rolling, but Cowher was a coach that got very tight as his career moved on and the big game losses piled up. He transferred a lot of those nerves to his players. Also having millions of fans saying you suck constantly is difficult to deal with if you have some emotional issues.

I love Cowher, but he probably could have handled it a little better. With that said, I don't know that Sweed would have turned out any different. I just think he had some circumstances in his life and a state of mind that created a perfect storm to crush his confidence. The guy had so much size and speed, it just seemed like a no-brainer that he would produce. For him to completely fail was hard to watch.

teegre
04-30-2017, 08:35 AM

A few things...

Tomlin (& the Rooneys) enrolled Sweed in counseling for three years. They didn't merely cut him (as they easily could have); they tried to get him better. In fact, Sweed didn't even dress for the 2010 season, but the Steelers kept him around and in counseling. That extra year is crucial, because three years is the magic number got a player to get benefits when they're older.

As far as the Browns game goes, I had no problem with benching all of those RBs. Parcells cut guys for fumbling... as has Belichick.

Steelheart
04-30-2017, 08:46 AM
As far as the Browns game goes, I had no problem with benching all of those RBs. Parcells cut guys for fumbling... as has Belichick.

I do and did even at the time and that was without liking any of our RB's outside of Redman.

A lot of football is about rythm and confidence so when you are benching guys you might not only be impacting their confidence, but you are giving them no rhythm for the game. That RB cycle they ran through at that time was awful. I don't mean the backs, but how the coaches handled it. At the time our line wasn't great and they seemed to put most of the blame for bad running games on the RB's.

It is history now so whatever, but that was a pretty bad coaching job at the time. I think in general Tomlin handles the players pretty well, but he definitely has some gaffes on his resume that are real head scratchers. The most obvious being the Antwon (Valentino now) Blake fiasco.

polamalubeast
04-30-2017, 08:53 AM
A few things...

Tomlin (& the Rooneys) enrolled Sweed in counseling for three years. They didn't merely cut him (as they easily could have); they tried to get him better. In fact, Sweed didn't even dress for the 2010 season, but the Steelers kept him around and in counseling. That extra year is crucial, because three years is the magic number got a player to get benefits when they're older.

In this game, the steelers had 8 turnovers and they could easily have 12!

The steelers were also without Roethlisberger in this game and they only lost 20-14, that's how the Browns are bad!

teegre
04-30-2017, 09:15 AM
I do and did even at the time and that was without liking any of our RB's outside of Redman.

A lot of football is about rythm and confidence so when you are benching guys you might not only be impacting their confidence, but you are giving them no rhythm for the game. That RB cycle they ran through at that time was awful. I don't mean the backs, but how the coaches handled it. At the time our line wasn't great and they seemed to put most of the blame for bad running games on the RB's.

It is history now so whatever, but that was a pretty bad coaching job at the time. I think in general Tomlin handles the players pretty well, but he definitely has some gaffes on his resume that are real head scratchers. The most obvious being the Antwon (Valentino now) Blake fiasco.

That game was a microcosm for that era of RBs. None of the RBs could/would take the starting job.

- - - Updated - - -

In this game, the steelers had 8 turnovers and they could easily have 12!

The steelers were also without Roethlisberger in this game and they only lost 20-14, that's how the Browns are bad!

And, Foote recovered a fumble at the end of the game, which the refs mistakenly overturned.

tube517
05-02-2017, 08:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhJikPSGzM

Tomlin probably erased this video and didn't allow Danny Smith to see it :lol:

86WARD
05-02-2017, 04:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhJikPSGzM

Tomlin probably erased this video and didn't allow Danny Smith to see it :lol:

Or he hid it from Smith so Smith doesn't fuck Sutton up...

Mojouw
05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
You guys are making a serious assumption that Danny Smith shows up for work outside of game days. I mean with the repeated putrid performance of the special teams, I figure Smith just shows up about 20 minutes before kickoff and grabs a headset.

86WARD
05-02-2017, 05:44 PM
LMAO.

DesertSteel
05-02-2017, 06:17 PM
You guys are making a serious assumption that Danny Smith shows up for work outside of game days. I mean with the repeated putrid performance of the special teams, I figure Smith just shows up about 20 minutes before kickoff and grabs a headset.
One that doesn't work.

pczach
05-02-2017, 08:09 PM
One that doesn't work.

....or one that only Bill Belichick speaks into.

GBMelBlount
05-02-2017, 09:10 PM

That's sad.

BlackAndGold
05-03-2017, 11:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIuIti12JJo

Craic
05-03-2017, 11:16 PM
A few things...

All that said (and it's good to hear the Steelers did that), I still believe part of the problem was Sweed getting yanked every time he dropped the ball. Probably the best thing that could've been done was for the very next play to go to him. Still, Sweed can claim a beautiful moment in Steeler-Raven rivalry lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRegGDuu2U

Perhaps we should've tried him as a DB.

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2017, 12:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=472&v=CIuIti12JJo

im not sure whats more impressive, the number of plays he has been in to be in position to make a play on the ball, or the number of times he should have had an interception and dropped it/went for the pass deflection when he clearly should have went for the interception.

disclaimer: i still like Sutton a lot