PDA

View Full Version : TE Gary Barnige any interest ?

Dwinsgames
04-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Browns (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash) release TE Gary Barnidge replaced him with David Njoku last night, I think this would be a nice option in the TE room for the Steelers

86WARD
04-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Very much so!!! I'd have him signed this afternoon. I think he's very much similar to Miller.

tube517
04-28-2017, 01:17 PM
That's DeAngelo's buddy.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 01:21 PM
that would be pretty sick. He's 31 but he looks like he's been pretty healthy during his long career: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gary-barnidge-player-injuries

Ive always read that hes an awesome lockerroom guy. Unlike with Jesse, I would be very comfortable with Barnidge if/when Green went down. He was originally on a 3 years ~$12 million deal because of his huge breakout year a while back, but im sure he would take less at this point

steelreserve
04-28-2017, 01:25 PM
A cheaply signed veteran that shores up a question mark position? Yeah, I'll take that. That would let us cross TE off our needs list this year - if James or Green surprises us, it's a home run, but if not we know we'll be solid - and then we could focus on the places where we really do need that one missing piece.

tube517
04-28-2017, 01:32 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarnGa01.htm

Good numbers in the past 2 years with shit QB's.

Decent starter when L.Green gets clobbered in the head again.

A chance for him to play in the playoffs...

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 01:39 PM
I'd take him. He could be an insurance policy against Green (even though I am comfortable with James as well). Regardless of who the starter was you still need depth if Green goes down. Even if they did get Barnidge I could still see them taking a Bucky Hodges in the right round or maybe a Jeremy Sprinkle. Adam Shaheen is another name to throw out there.

86WARD
04-28-2017, 01:49 PM
I didn't realize he was that old. I'd keep a healthy Green over him. Not sure I would rush out to sign him after seeing the age.

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 01:50 PM
I didn't realize he was that old. I'd keep a healthy Green over him. Not sure I would rush out to sign him after seeing the age.

If he comes on the cheap his age shouldn't matter. If we assume Green is playing he won't be taking a lot of wear and tear and if Green goes down it gives you a really good 2nd option. He would be like the D Will of the TE room.

tube517
04-28-2017, 02:07 PM
If he comes on the cheap his age shouldn't matter. If we assume Green is playing he won't be taking a lot of wear and tear and if Green goes down it gives you a really good 2nd option. He would be like the D Will of the TE room.

That's the exact comparison I see. (D.Williams, his buddy)

Of course he would have to be cheap. Maybe if he wants a chance at a ring, he can be the #2 and insurance when Green goes down.

SteelMember
04-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Well, to be fair, the first few years in Carolina were not going to get him remembered. He has been a good player for the past couple seasons. I think 8 TD was his high year... probably the one that got him his payday. I also like the comparison to Heath, but that being said, Barnige has 10 years in... Miller had 11. The money would have to be in the "vet minimum" neighborhood. :chuckle:

Mojouw
04-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Same answer as always with vets - for the right price. Can't pay for past production. But he would instantly be better than anyone besides a totally healthy Green on the current roster.

As a side note, this is the weird stuff that analytics will tell you to do. Draft a younger cheaper TE and then dump the high $$ vet. But if you don't have to, I have no idea why you do this.

pczach
04-28-2017, 04:50 PM
So you're saying we can get a solid TE that was released by a division opponent that would solidify the TE group and give him the opportunity to shit down the throat of the team that cut him and a team we all hate?

HMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm............

Dwinsgames
04-28-2017, 04:52 PM
So you're saying we can get a solid TE that was released by a division opponent that would solidify the TE group and give him the opportunity to shit down the throat of the team that cut him and a team we all hate?

HMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm............

and likely at a bargain basement price .....

count me in

steelreserve
04-28-2017, 04:57 PM
As a side note, this is the weird stuff that analytics will tell you to do. Draft a younger cheaper TE and then dump the high $$ vet. But if you don't have to, I have no idea why you do this.

Reminds me a bit of when the Bills traded two first-round picks to move up for Sammy Watkins, then immediately dumped their #1 receiver for almost nothing. Like - why the hell would you do that instead of keeping both? I can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head, except that he was pretty good and his contract was not an issue or anything.

Dwinsgames
04-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Reminds me a bit of when the Bills traded two first-round picks to move up for Sammy Watkins, then immediately dumped their #1 receiver for almost nothing. Like - why the hell would you do that instead of keeping both? I can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head, except that he was pretty good and his contract was not an issue or anything.

Stevie Johnson

Mojouw
04-28-2017, 05:01 PM

Great example. It makes no sense unless the cap is forcing your hand. But in both the Bills and Browns cases their overall roster is so bad that it isn't like they are actually paying anyone.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 05:03 PM
Same answer as always with vets - for the right price. Can't pay for past production. But he would instantly be better than anyone besides a totally healthy Green on the current roster.

I would have questioned the move but this is the browns were talking about. Yeah, jettisoning their top 2 receiving options was a bad move. Cant believe theyd take on Osweiler's huge contract for a draft pick but dont want to deal with Barnidge's manageable one

SteelerFanInStl
04-28-2017, 06:16 PM
I'll take Barnidge, no question.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-28-2017, 07:33 PM
I'll take Barnidge, no question. Me too now that Shaheen is gone. He was really good a few years ago even without a reliable QB.

Steeldude
04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
It seems to me he would be rather pricey. I would rather draft Kittles and keep Grimble and James are the veterans up front.

I don't even count Green into the equation.

j-d-s
04-30-2017, 09:33 PM
I'd take him any day. The age is not the problem in my opinion, he will be able to help us for at least three years and that is our most likely timeframe to win another Lombardi or two before Ben retires. Currently I see TE as a problem, but even if Green doesn't manage to stay healthy, TE would immediately look a lot better with Barnidge, James and Grimble.

Just look at his numbers from the last two years in Cleveland, that's not that bad considering they probably had a dozen different starting QBs over that time.

Six Rings
05-01-2017, 07:00 AM
Browns (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Browns?src=hash) release TE Gary Barnidge replaced him with David Njoku last night, I think this would be a nice option in the TE room for the Steelers

As long as he was not let go for medical reasons, heck yes. He could start for us.

Steelheart
05-01-2017, 07:04 AM
I would have questioned the move but this is the browns were talking about. Yeah, jettisoning their top 2 receiving options was a bad move. Cant believe theyd take on Osweiler's huge contract for a draft pick but dont want to deal with Barnidge's manageable one

Getting rid of the receivers was bad in my opinion but I think the Osweiler move was smart. Each team has to spend a certain amount of money and the Browns weren't even close. So they essentially buy a draft pick which until then was pretty much impossible (a loophole I am sure the league will close now if they already haven't) and it was Moneyball at its finest.

I wonder if there was something about the WR (why can't I remember his name?) that they didn't like as far as locker room or behavior? In Barnidge case he is getting up there in age and they are obviously going with the youth movement so that one I can understand a little more.

BurghBoy412
05-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Sign him

DesertSteel
05-01-2017, 10:31 AM
No one really thinks that we will sign him, do they??

BurghBoy412
05-01-2017, 11:08 AM
No one really thinks that we will sign him, do they??
Doubt it happens

DesertSteel
05-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Doubt it happens
It's still nice to talk about :)

tube517
05-22-2017, 12:12 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/05/broncos-te-gary-barnidge

BurghBoy412
05-22-2017, 06:09 PM
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2017/05/broncos-te-gary-barnidge
Makes sense. Denver likes to sign veteran free agents.

BlackAndGold
05-22-2017, 11:56 PM

Mojouw
05-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Translation: I'm a 10 year veteran and have little interest in going to OTAs and training camp -- so what do I care?

DesertSteel
05-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Translation: I'm a 10 year veteran and have little interest in going to OTAs and training camp -- so what do I care?
Alternate translation: I don't have a date for the prom so I'll just sit by the phone.

Born2Steel
05-24-2017, 11:40 AM
Listened to a conversation about this yesterday. What Barnidge brings is pretty much what we already have, only older. He's not a blocker and has only had 1 probowl season. It doesn't matter to me if we give him a sniff, but what's the rush to do it?

DesertSteel
05-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Listened to a conversation about this yesterday. What Barnidge brings is pretty much what we already have, only older. He's not a blocker and has only had 1 probowl season. It doesn't matter to me if we give him a sniff, but what's the rush to do it?
What's his YAC? Because that's what we don't have.

Mojouw
05-24-2017, 03:51 PM
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/yards-after-the-catch/2016/

4.0 yards after catch per catch in 2016 and 4.2 in 2015 (his one really good year) -- so not good.

A quick scan of the listings from that site seems to give the impression that 5-8 is about what you expect from high end TE and 8+ is AMAZING.