PDA

View Full Version : Bouchette on Ben: "I do know he wants to change"

BlastFurnace
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Here is the complete quote from what Ed wrote and apparently what Ben told him:

"I do know he wants to change, not just his image, but he wants to change how he acts and how he treats people."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10152/1062297-66.stm#ixzz0peZorLYR

Ben, as someone who has made some dumb mistakes in my past and made a conscious decision to change because of the same mistakes...I am pullling for you all the way through.

steelsoldier
06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I hope he does change..just as long as he does not change winning Super Bowls.

kmsteelerwr15
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM
That is terrific to hear but actions will speak louder than words.

stillers4me
06-01-2010, 08:40 PM
When the Steelers won XL, and Ben did not play well, that ate away at him like a bleeding ulcer. He walked onto the field in Tampa after the Cards took the lead, drove down the field and won that freaking game.....

If past history is any indication, I'd say Ben is going to be fine........

Canadian Steeler Nation
06-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I think he has a real oppurtunity for a fresh start, I hope he takes advantage of it.

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Ben has made mistakes in the past, but who hasn't. I know he will change for the better and clean up his act. I have faith in Ben that he will recover his imagine and get his life and career back on track!

tony hipchest
06-01-2010, 10:26 PM
dare i say, even better for the wear.

i hope so.

HometownGal
06-01-2010, 10:31 PM
When the Steelers won XL, and Ben did not play well, that ate away at him like a bleeding ulcer. He walked onto the field in Tampa after the Cards took the lead, drove down the field and won that freaking game.....

This ^. I honestly believe he knows in his heart that he has to get his head (both north and south) on straight and act like a responsible adult and representative of the Steelers. I have every confidence in him.

Dylan
06-01-2010, 10:35 PM
With the support of the Steelers and more importantly his family, Ben should easily be able to better himself

Killer
06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Ben needs some higher priced hookers.

Delivered to the door.

He'll be fine.

steelerdude15
06-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I think over time, people will begin to forgive him for the way he has acted, not everyone though. I have nothing against him and he is still a great quarterback. I'd take him over anyone, but yes, I think he'll change, I mean that's all we can hope for.

Killer
06-01-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm sure the ginormous swelling in his head will go down as he gets skinny > DTF Groupies

http://newsimages.emerald.synacor.com/ap_photos//f9e3b65d-1e6a-42e2-809f-2c71c13492bd.jpeg

salamander
06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm sure the ginormous swelling in his head will go down as he gets skinny > DTF Groupies

http://newsimages.emerald.synacor.com/ap_photos//f9e3b65d-1e6a-42e2-809f-2c71c13492bd.jpeg

I wonder if that new helmet is part of his change. :chuckle:

Steelman
06-01-2010, 11:50 PM
I wonder if that new helmet is part of his change. :chuckle:

On the serious side though, I hope it helps to drastically reduce his likelihood of a concussion this year.

tyler289
06-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Don't understand why it took him this long to realize he's going down a dangerous road. I hope he's finally seen the light and won't be such a bonehead.

tube517
06-01-2010, 11:57 PM
He needs to change the way he holds the ball too long :wink02:

I hope he does change but as was previously posted, Actions speak louder than words.

We shall see.

Killer
06-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry - this skinny Ben picture is scaring me. He can't survive like that. Eat a cheeseburger dammit.

We need the fat Ben back!

Say aye!

Steelman
06-02-2010, 12:07 AM
He's trying to get into shape for a higher profile celebrity girl! :chuckle:

Killer
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Word on the street is the Steelers are going heavy with the saltpeter in the buffet.....pass it along

...the mole

BlastFurnace
06-02-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm sorry - this skinny Ben picture is scaring me. He can't survive like that. Eat a cheeseburger dammit.

We need the fat Ben back!

Say aye!

Skinny Ben:

Fat Ben:

Couldn't tell:

We won Super Bowls with Fat Ben.

vasteeler
06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
yeah bring on fat ben, he can take a beating

Michael
06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Ben has an opportunity few have in life. If he makes the necessary changes he can become embraced by thousands if not millions. He is so physically gifted that when he matures as most men do in their 20's he could become a much better QB, teammate and leader. This could happen almost immediately.

I just hope he realizes his opportunity. People do forgive QB's who win football games and Super Bowls.

I do think he has the mental toughness ro endure the jeers which are sure to come and in fact I think he might be energized by opposing fans and opposing players criticisms during the games this year. Count me among the ones that was very critical and disgusted with Ben but I also believe that Ben has it within himself to become even better then he ever could have become had this not happened. Both as a football player and a man.

I am looking forward and hoping for a good story.

steel9guy
06-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Ben has an opportunity few have in life. If he makes the necessary changes he can become embraced by thousands if not millions. He is so physically gifted that when he matures as most men do in their 20's he could become a much better QB, teammate and leader. This could happen almost immediately.

I just hope he realizes his opportunity. People do forgive QB's who win football games and Super Bowls.

I do think he has the mental toughness ro endure the jeers which are sure to come and in fact I think he might be energized by opposing fans and opposing players criticisms during the games this year. Count me among the ones that was very critical and disgusted with Ben but I also believe that Ben has it within himself to become even better then he ever could have become had this not happened. Both as a football player and a man.

I am looking forward and hoping for a good story.

I agree. I really honestly hope that this all goes well and he is our qb for the future like he should be.

Prok
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
It was 14 years ago but i fully remember what it was like to be 28 yr old man running with young crowd.
Come to think of it, wish i had some of those times back. lol

Ben will be fine.

Steely McSmash
06-02-2010, 11:27 AM
You know if he wants to turn it around and make people really believe he's remorseful, he might want to condsider donating a good portion of his Game checks this year to some charities that serve the community. Maybe things that would benefit women even.

For all the people that doubt his sincerity in his appology, this would really be a solid way to shut them up.

I know he's given away police dogs in the past. Not exactly a warm and fuzzy way to give. (pun intented)

ALLD
06-02-2010, 11:32 AM
He needs to find a nice girl from Pittsburgh with a tight ass and nice rack who can cook. A hometown girl will keep him level headed so he can concentrate on winning games.

BlastFurnace
06-02-2010, 12:07 PM
He needs to find a nice girl from Pittsburgh with a tight ass and nice rack who can cook. A hometown girl will keep him level headed so he can concentrate on winning games.

Did you mention a Hometown Girl? HTG...what do you think?

vasteeler
06-02-2010, 12:18 PM
It was 14 years ago but i fully remember what it was like to be 28 yr old man running with young crowd.
Come to think of it, wish i had some of those times back. lol

Ben will be fine.

just about sums it up

SteelerSal
06-02-2010, 12:39 PM

I need one of those...

Galax Steeler
06-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I am sure Ben has learned from this and will be a better leader for the team

cakmakli
06-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I sure hope he has learned something from all of this. Pittsburgh isn't New York or LA, where who you are counts for more then for how you treat people. This is Pittsburgh, a hard working city with great people, where character still means something.

What happened with the women was bad but you can't go around this city acting like you are better then everyone else and disrespecting waitresses. People won't tolerate it. That's why they are selling Ben the Jag Off T-shirts in the Strip.

stlrtruck
06-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I hope he does change..just as long as he does not change winning Super Bowls.

Oh I want him to change winning Super Bowls. I want him to go from only winnning to 2 to winning 3, to winning 4, etc.

Animal Mother
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm defending Ben left and right, and hope he keeps his nose clean for the rest of his career. I don't want to have to get another jersey.

vasteeler
06-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm defending Ben left and right, and hope he keeps his nose clean for the rest of his career. I don't want to have to get another jersey.

thats just it , you dont have to defend ben. i STILL say ben has done nothing wrong

Stlrs4Life
06-02-2010, 09:04 PM

I agree. We'll see.

steelpride12
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
All we can do is sit back and watch. Ben prove it don't speak it.

hawaiiansteeler
06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I am sure Ben has learned from this and will be a better leader for the team

Steelers' Tomlin moving forward

Thursday, June 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://i49.tinypic.com/154wqd3.jpg

There was talk of a juggling act and a circus, and certainly Mike Tomlin has or will encounter everything under the big top as he pilots the Steelers and their unique quarterback position through the rest of June, into and out of training camp and beyond.

It in-cludes the steps taken upon Ben Roethlisberger's return to the team this week and many more ahead in the quarterback's journey back. Wednesday, for example, everyone learned that Roethlisberger would reclaim his spot as the No. 1 quarterback for these spring practices. Tomlin says he has a plan for training camp as well, but he's keeping that private for now.

"I don't mind the circus atmosphere because I can't control it," Tomlin said after practice. "We're trying to focus on the things we can control. We recognize as a professional football team that's trying to be a world championship caliber team that there are certain things that come with being who we are that we have to accept, and we need to stay focused on what it is we are here to do, which is to improve. He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future and continue to move forward."

Moving forward includes much work off the field and behind the scenes as the rehabilitation of Big Ben takes root. While the quarterback has not yet spoken publicly, he has been pleasant and relaxed with those who have crossed his path at the South Side facility the past two days.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, who allowed Roethlisberger to rejoin the Steelers on Tuesday, will reduce his suspension from six games to four if he determines the quarterback has fulfilled the requirements asked of him. Tomlin and the team are working with him to accomplish what Goodell expects to see.

"We're doing a lot of things with Ben in terms of dealing with this situation, and not for the sole purposes of meeting the criteria so he can participate," Tomlin said. "More than anything it's about making proper corrections and moving forward with football and with his life. That's the spirit in which we're doing the things we're doing with him. We have no control over the commissioner's judgment or when it comes down or how it comes down."

Several teammates said they noticed a change in Roethlisberger since his return, and not just the excellent shape he was in when he reported back. Tomlin took a different approach when asked if he'd seen any changes.

"I'm not necessarily really looking for it. It's less about how we respond to this in the short term and even further less important what we say about it. It's more about how we move forward largely in the long term, knowing that he has a commitment to being what we desire for him to be and what his team needs him to be and that's my focus. I've seen Ben quite a bit and communicated with him quite a bit throughout all of this. So there hasn't been a period of time where I haven't seen Ben where some of his teammates have."

Roethlisberger continued to run with the Steelers' first team offense with Byron Leftwich back after his absence Tuesday.

Leftwich had run the first-team offense since his first minicamp practice April 30, but Wednesday he and Dennis Dixon split snaps with the backup units, and Charlie Batch mostly watched during team drills. Tomlin was asked how he plans to juggle the four through training camp, but he would only spell out his immediate plans.

"What we want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get reacclimated and improve and work on his game," Tomlin said. "And we want to continue to give Dennis reps because he is a young guy. When you're talking about working with four quarterbacks, of course reps are going to be scarce in some instances. For the purposes of this week, if there is going to be a reduction in reps it is going to be at the expense of Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch."

The Steelers have four remaining spring practices before they break until the start of training camp July 30 -- one today and three next week.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10154/1062808-66.stm

CanadianSteel
06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Holmes couldnt change quick enough and maybe he didnt want to.
Ben has a big chnace here and hoping he comes thru again in the clutch and straightens out his off field life, and remains the Steeler QB for the next 10 years

Steeldude
06-03-2010, 09:41 PM

yep. let's hope he will mature

ricardisimo
06-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Did anyone else read this and pick up any Program vibes? I'm not in any sort of 12-step myself (other than Autoeroticists Anonymous) but I've known more than enough people who are in a Program to have picked up certain code words and phrases. First thing I thought after reading Bouchette's chat was: he's quitting drinking. Any thoughts?