PDA

View Full Version : In the 62nd pick in the 2017,the Pittsburgh Steelers select....

polamalubeast
04-27-2017, 10:42 PM
who?

Born2Steel
04-27-2017, 10:47 PM
I hope Josh Jones.

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 11:05 PM
See my signature :)

86WARD
04-27-2017, 11:10 PM
A CB. Or PERSON.

st33lersguy
04-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Josh Jones, Marcus Maye, or Marcus Williams hopefully

86WARD
04-27-2017, 11:18 PM
I'd love to see them package something and get up to get a CB. King, Wilson, Chidobe maybe?

teegre
04-27-2017, 11:20 PM
PERSON.

:applaudit:

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 11:25 PM
I'd love to see them package something and get up to get a CB. King, Wilson, Chidobe maybe?

i wouldnt be against it. Cornerback run is about to go really bonkers. If i was able to change my mock draft, i honestly think i would change our round 2 pick to Cameron Sutton. Literally one of the first guys we showed interest in like 3-4 months ago

Shoes
04-27-2017, 11:31 PM
I still like Chris Wormley @62 but he may be gone by then.

teegre
04-27-2017, 11:32 PM
i wouldnt be against it. Cornerback run is about to go really bonkers. If i was able to change my mock draft, i honestly think i would change our round 2 pick to Cameron Sutton. Literally one of the first guys we showed interest in like 3-4 months ago

Yep.

They met with him more than any other player than Rivers.

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 11:52 PM
Yep.

i think i asked you about him in another thread. i read that Sutton could have gone in the 1st round if he didnt have a lingering fractured ankle/foot he was dealing with early on last season. thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Yep.

i think i asked you about him in another thread. i read that Sutton could have gone in the 1st round if he didnt have a lingering fractured ankle/foot he was dealing with early on last season. thoughts?

teegre
04-28-2017, 12:05 AM

Yep.

Here it is/was...

Before the 2016 draft, I felt that Sutton was a sure-fire "end of R1" pick.

But, he decided to go back to school. Then, his stock dropped (as opposed to rising to the teens). So, if he was the pick at 30, I'd be fine with it.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 12:07 AM
Yep.

Here it is/was...

that puts my mind at ease if we get him next. he seemed like a safe pick to me at the time but i didnt realize his upside was so high

teegre
04-28-2017, 12:10 AM
I reposted below, with bolded visits.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 12:16 AM
For the fans that like trades. I feel like one will happen tomorrow.

I'd love Budda Baker, or Kevin King.

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 12:26 AM

What am I missing here? Everything I saw had Sutton going in the 3rd. In fact I have been consistently mocking him there for awhile because of it. Did something change?

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 12:33 AM
There are 30 pick until we select again; so, here are 30 players:

1 Josh Jones, S, NC St.
2 Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn
3 Budda Baker, S, Washington
4 Marcus Maye, S, Florida
5 Marcus Williams, S, Utah
6 Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M

I am definitely leaning safety in round 2 or 3 for us. My preferences depending on round would be:

Williams/Baker > Justin Evans > Melifonwu/Maye > Josh Jones

Keep in mind I mostly just read draft profiles on guys and don't see much tape. That being said, when I read Jones it sounds a lot like Mike Mitchell and I am not the biggest fan of his. I think he is a mediocre safety who makes too many mistakes. Maybe that isn't fair to Jones but I just can't get past it.

teegre
04-28-2017, 12:40 AM
I am definitely leaning safety in round 2 or 3 for us. My preferences depending on round would be:

Williams/Baker > Justin Evans > Melifonwu/Maye > Josh Jones

Keep in mind I mostly just read draft profiles on guys and don't see much tape. That being said, when I read Jones it sounds a lot like Mike Mitchell and I am not the biggest fan of his. I think he is a mediocre safety who makes too many mistakes. Maybe that isn't fair to Jones but I just can't get past it.

Interesting

Jones reminds me of Sean Davis. He can (and has) play both SS and FS. Just imagine a QB having to figure which one is going to play SS and which one is playing FS.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 12:43 AM
What am I missing here? Everything I saw had Sutton going in the 3rd. In fact I have been consistently mocking him there for awhile because of it. Did something change?

there have been articles out there that pointed out that Cam was hampered by a fractured ankle or foot that affected him last season. Without that impediment he could have been a 1st round pick supposedly. i mostly saw him in the 2nd-3rd round as well until i read this somewhere like a week or 2 ago. he could be a steal. i always thought his floor was quite favorable. now i like his ceiling too

teegre
04-28-2017, 12:45 AM

Indeed, you have probably read that. But, IMO, Sutton is a legitimate R2 pick. The Steelers met with him 3 different times, which tells me that they are very interested in him. Before he hurt his ankle, he was playing st a "late R1 level".

He may very well still be there at 94, but I'd be fine with taking him much, much earlier.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 12:57 AM

1 Josh Jones, S, NC St.
2 Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn
3 Budda Baker, S, Washington
4 Marcus Maye, S, Florida
5 Marcus Williams, S, Utah
7 Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
8 Desmond King, CB, Iowa
9 Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
10 Kevin King, CB, Washington
11 Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
12 Quincey Wilson, CB, Florida
13 Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown St.
14 Jordan Willis, OLB, Kansas St.
15 Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn
16 Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston
17 Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida St.
18 Curtis Samuel, WR/RB, Ohio St.
19 Chris Wormley, DE, Michigan
21 Malik McDowell, DE, Michigan St.
21 Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland
22 Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
23 Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio St.
24 Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt

The receivers:
25 Chris Godwin, WR, Penn St.
26 Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina
27 Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
28 JuJu Smith-Schuester

^some of the guys i feel are overrated and i personally hope go before 62 to buffer better prospects towards us. that worked well for us in round 1 (Raiders getting Gareon Conley. Falcons getting Takkarist McKinley. Thanks you 2).

I could see a not all that crazy scenario where Budda Baker drops deep into the 2nd round. I could see some team getting a real hard on for Obi because of his measurables. Same with Marcus Williams and Marcus Maye. Ive read that Marcus Maye is basically Keanu Neal 2.0 in terms of pedigree and playing style and could see his stock go higher than many believe.

Could see half a dozen, maybe more safeties go ahead of Budda Baker. Funny how much size matters to some even when you're good at football. We'll be getting a damn good slot corner and free safety who doesnt bite down on double moves and play action *cough cough* Mike Mitchell if it happens

teegre
04-28-2017, 01:03 AM
^some of the guys i feel are overrated and i personally hope go before 62 to buffer better prospects towards us. that worked well for us in round 1 (Raiders getting Gareon Conley. Falcons getting Takkarist McKinley. Thanks you 2).

I could see a not all that crazy scenario where Budda Baker drops deep into the 2nd round. I could see some team getting a real hard on for Obi because of his measurables. Same with Marcus Williams and Marcus Maye. Ive read that Marcus Maye is basically Keanu Neal 2.0 in terms of pedigree and playing style and could see his stock go higher than many believe.

Could see half a dozen, maybe more safeties go ahead of Budda Baker. Funny how much size matters to some even when you're good at football. We'll be getting a damn good slot corner and free safety who doesnt bite down on double moves and play action *cough cough* Mike Mitchell if it happens

Good points.

I'll disagree with you on Bowser. As mojouw posted, Bowser's sackEER rating is top 5 in this draft.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/sackseer-2017

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 01:11 AM
Interesting

Jones reminds me of Sean Davis. He can (and has) play both SS and FS. Just imagine a QB having to figure which one is going to play SS and which one is playing FS.

Sean Davis had a solid rookie season so I guess that comparison isn't bad. Ultimately I would like a true ball hawking FS. I want a guy the QB has to worry about and identify and I don't think we have had that since Clark and Polamalu. Mitchell isn't even remotely that guy and maybe Davis could be but he plays more as the SS.

teegre
04-28-2017, 01:20 AM
Sean Davis had a solid rookie season so I guess that comparison isn't bad. Ultimately I would like a true ball hawking FS. I want a guy the QB has to worry about and identify and I don't think we have had that since Clark and Polamalu. Mitchell isn't even remotely that guy and maybe Davis could be but he plays more as the SS.

I agree: Mitchell is so frustrating. For three years, he sucked... then, he was good for nine games... and then, in the AFCCG, he sucked again.

I think Davis plays SS currently, because Mitchell is already entrenched as the FS. But, IMO, Davis could move to FS...

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 01:21 AM

Budda Baker would like to have a word with you

teegre
04-28-2017, 01:25 AM

1 Josh Jones, S, NC St. visited
2 Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn visited, combine
3 Budda Baker, S, Washington visited
4 Marcus Maye, S, Florida pro day, DINNER
5 Marcus Williams, S, Utah combine
7 Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee combine, senior bowl, one more
8 Desmond King, CB, Iowa combine
12 Quincey Wilson, CB, Florida pro day
13 Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown St. visited, combine, pro day, senior bowl
15 Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn combine, pro day
19 Chris Wormley, DE, Michigan combine, pro day, DINNER
21 Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland combine, pro day
22 Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson combine, pro day
23 Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio St. visited
24 Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt visited

The receivers:
25 Chris Godwin, WR, Penn St. combine, pro day, visited
27 Cooper Krupp, WR, Eastern Washington
28 JuJu Smith-Schuester

Players I hope go before 62, which will push one of the above players down to us:
--DeShone Kizer, QB, Norte Dame
--Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
--Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
--Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana
--Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 01:27 AM
Budda Baker would like to have a word with you

I don't follow.

RunNGun
04-28-2017, 01:28 AM
I like Raekwon McMillan or Adam Shaheen in Rd 2

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 01:29 AM
I like Marcus Williams more than Obi, Josh Jones, Justin Evans, and Marcus Maye. Am i crazy

teegre
04-28-2017, 01:31 AM
Based on dinners and multiple visits, I think it will be one of these four guys:

Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
Chris Wormley, DE, Michigan
Chris Godwin, WR, Penn St.

I would have sworn that they'd take Derek Rivers (OLB, Youngstown St.), but I just don't see them taking another OLB this early.

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 01:37 AM
I like Marcus Williams more than Obi, Josh Jones, Justin Evans, and Marcus Maye. Am i crazy

I am with you. Him and Baker are my 2 top rated.

RunNGun
04-28-2017, 02:13 AM
Based on dinners and multiple visits, I think it will be one of these four guys:

Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Chris Wormley, DE, Michigan
Chris Godwin, WR, Penn St.

I would have sworn that they'd take Derek Rivers (OLB, Youngstown St.), but I just don't see them taking another OLB this early.

I thought McMillan had visits as well?

teegre
04-28-2017, 06:14 AM
I thought McMillan had visits as well?

He did. (see: post #26)

Those five players had multiple visits (Sutton, Godwin, Rivers) and/or had dinner with Tomlin (Maye, Wormley).

teegre
04-28-2017, 06:40 AM
I've been reading the "Day 2 Mocks", and all of them have Joe Mixon going to the Bengals.

For the Steelers, here's who they have:

MMQB:
62 Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M
94 Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
105 Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky

Dane Brugler:
62 Chris Godwin, WR, Penn St.

Lance Zierlein:
62 DeShone Kizer, QB, Norte Dame
94 Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio St.
105 ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama

86WARD
04-28-2017, 07:33 AM
I would be disappointed at this stage if they took a QB in the 2 or 3 rounds.

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 07:41 AM

1 Josh Jones, S, NC St. visited
2 Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn visited, combine
3 Budda Baker, S, Washington visited
4 Marcus Maye, S, Florida pro day, DINNER
5 Marcus Williams, S, Utah combine
7 Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee combine, senior bowl, one more
8 Desmond King, CB, Iowa combine
12 Quincey Wilson, CB, Florida pro day
13 Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown St. visited, combine, pro day, senior bowl
15 Carl Lawson, OLB, Auburn combine, pro day
19 Chris Wormley, DE, Michigan combine, pro day, DINNER
21 Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland combine, pro day
22 Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson combine, pro day
23 Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio St. visited
24 Zach Cunningham, ILB, Vanderbilt visited

The receivers:
25 Chris Godwin, WR, Penn St. combine, pro day, visited
27 Cooper Krupp, WR, Eastern Washington
28 JuJu Smith-Schuester

Players I hope go before 62, which will push one of the above players down to us:
--DeShone Kizer, QB, Norte Dame
--Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
--Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
--Dan Feeney, OG, Indiana
--Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

One More = Tennesse's pro day.

teegre
04-28-2017, 07:58 AM
One More = Tennesse's pro day.

Thank you. Duh. :doh:

Six weeks ago, I had it written as two (in my notes), and when I heard about the third time, I didn't write down... and, nowadays, if I don't write stuff down, I simply don't remember it like I used to.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 08:01 AM
If they want Sutton, I believe they could trade back a few spots to get more picks.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 08:08 AM
I really want Budda Baker.

Could start in the slot day 1, and make plays.

teegre
04-28-2017, 08:10 AM
I keep seeing that Rasul Douglas is going to go before 62. I was was going to get him at 94...

The more that I look & read, the more that I foresee a huge run on DBs in the next round and a half. I could see 6 safeties and 10 corners coming off of the board before we pick again in R3. Ergo, we might need to go DB at 62.

So, assuming that huge number of DBs getting drafted does indeed come to fruition... at 62, which DB would you take???

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 08:13 AM
I keep seeing that Rasul Douglas is going to go before 62. I was was going to get him at 94...

The more that I look & read, the more that I foresee a huge run on DBs in the next round and a half. I could see 6 safeties and 10 corners coming off of the board before we pick again in R3. Ergo, we might need to go DB at 62.

So, assuming that huge number of DBs getting drafted does indeed come to fruition... at 62, which DB would you take???

I feel like they need to go get their guy.

I thought they were going to take a DB in round 1(no one was there, and TJ did indeed make it past Dallas, and GB), and trade up in round 2 for their pass rusher. Same thing here just vice versa. Budda Baker is a first round talent, I'd give up a 2nd, and the 3rd round comp pick to move up and steal him.

Texasteel
04-28-2017, 08:16 AM
I really want Budda Baker.

Could start in the slot day 1, and make plays.

I like Baker, but to get him I believe we would have to move up in the 2nd round quite a bit. Think he could go in the first 5 or 6 picks in the 2nd. Remember GB lost one of their better S in FA.

Texasteel
04-28-2017, 08:18 AM

Which could bring us back to Sutton.

Iron Steeler
04-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Kizer if he falls

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 09:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlP-qGQxzk

Bringing him in the secondary with Burns, MM, Cockrell, Davis :tt03:

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Kizer if he falls

Or Webb. The QB they actually like.

teegre
04-28-2017, 09:11 AM
I feel like they need to go get their guy.

I thought they were going to take a DB in round 1(no one was there, and TJ did indeed make it past Dallas, and GB), and trade up in round 2 for their pass rusher. Same thing here just vice versa. Budda Baker is a first round talent, I'd give up a 2nd, and the 3rd round comp pick to move up and steal him.

If he is indeed their guy, Tomlin has shown that he's willing to do just that. (see: Landon Collins)

- - - Updated - - -

Which could bring us back to Sutton.

That's my guess.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 09:20 AM

That would be pretty nuts. I dont feel a lot of pressure to budge from 62 for a DB regardless. At least one of 5 good safety prospects will be there worst case scenario. Cornerback, arguably even more good value prospects left. I think in order of most desired to less out of who's remaining I would want (at 62):

1) Budda Baker
2) Kevin King
3) Marcus Williams
4) Obi Melifonwu
5) Cameron Sutton
6) Chidobe Awuzie
7) Jourdan Lewis

I wouldnt mind trading up a little bit if we really wanted Budda. I would put Jourdan Lewis as arguably my 2nd choice but i think he has a good chance to still be there for our 3rd pick because of the off field stuff. Then again, Foster, Peppers, and Conley all went off the board in round 1

teegre
04-28-2017, 09:25 AM
Kizer if he falls

:scared:

- - - Updated - - -

Or Webb. The QB they actually like.

If the Steelers feel that Webb is their guy, then so be it. I personally would go a different route, but they know more than I do.

But, if it's Webb vs. Kizer, I'd go Webb 100 times out of 99. :wink02:

Shoes
04-28-2017, 09:33 AM
If Chris Wormley is available at 62, he'll be the BPA (imo) and be the Steelers R2 pick. He can play multiple positions and you can just about call Big Dan gone after this season. I would be surprised if he makes it to 62 tho.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/23/nfl-draft-scouting-report-chris-wormley-michigan

teegre
04-28-2017, 09:36 AM
That would be pretty nuts. I dont feel a lot of pressure to budge from 62 for a DB regardless. At least one of 5 good safety prospects will be there worst case scenario. Cornerback, arguably even more good value prospects left. I think in order of most desired to less out of who's remaining I would want (at 62):

1) Budda Baker
2) Kevin King
3) Marcus Williams
4) Obi Melifonwu
5) Cameron Sutton
6) Chidobe Awuzie
7) Jourdan Lewis

I wouldnt mind trading up a little bit if we really wanted Budda. I would put Jourdan Lewis as arguably my 2nd choice but i think he has a good chance to still be there for our 3rd pick because of the off field stuff. Then again, Foster, Peppers, and Conley all went off the board in round 1

I agree. Unless the Steelers want Budda Baker (or Kevin King), there is no need to trade up. I see 12 DBs worthy of the 62nd pick, and one of them will absolutely be there at 62.

Josh Jones, S, NC St.
Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn
Budda Baker, S, Washington
Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Marcus Williams, S, Utah
Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M

Desmond King, CB, Iowa
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Kevin King, CB, Washington
Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Rasul Douglas, CB, WVU

I would go safety at 62... and then, trade up early in R3 for one of these corners:

Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Damontae Kazee, CB, SDSU
Shaquill Griffin, CB, Central Florida
Cordrea Tankersly, CB, Clemson
Corn Elder, CB, Miami
Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 09:46 AM
I agree. Unless the Steelers want Budda Baker (or Kevin King), there is no need to trade up. I see 12 DBs worthy of the 62nd pick, and one of them will absolutely be there at 62.

Josh Jones, S, NC St.
Obi Melifonwu, S, Uconn
Budda Baker, S, Washington
Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Marcus Williams, S, Utah
Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M

Desmond King, CB, Iowa
Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado
Kevin King, CB, Washington
Sidney Jones, CB, Washington
Rasul Douglas, CB, WVU

I would go safety at 62... and then, trade up early in R3 for one of these corners:

Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Damontae Kazee, CB, SDSU
Shaquill Griffin, CB, Central Florida
Cordrea Tankersly, CB, Clemson
Corn Elder, CB, Miami
Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan

im game. think lewis, griffin, kazee, and moreau will all be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd without trading up?

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Steelers seem to really like some guys we haven't talked much about also. Myrick(sp), small slot CB for one.

polamalubeast
04-28-2017, 10:10 AM
With their second round pick,the steelers need an cornerback who can play man to man...

The steelers need also to be better in the middle of the field on defense.

teegre
04-28-2017, 10:16 AM
im game. think lewis, griffin, kazee, and moreau will all be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd without trading up?

Realistically, at least one should be there at 94. But, it depends. If there's a run on corners at the beginning of R3, they might have to trade up (which I'd be willing to do).

(Add Howard Wilson, Houston to that list.)

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers seem to really like some guys we haven't talked much about also. Myrick(sp), small slot CB for one.

True

Marquez White, Florida St.
Nate Hairston, Temple

(But, that's more like R5.)

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
With their second round pick,the steelers need an cornerback who can play man to man...

The steelers need also to be better in the middle of the field on defense.

Trade up for Baker, then draft Griffin/Douglas in round 3.

You get a physical slot corner in Baker, and a big press corner in round 3.

Get your RB, WR, in rounds 4-5.

teegre
04-28-2017, 10:23 AM
If Chris Wormley is available at 62, he'll be the BPA (imo) and be the Steelers R2 pick. He can play multiple positions and you can just about call Big Dan gone after this season. I would be surprised if he makes it to 62 tho.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/23/nfl-draft-scouting-report-chris-wormley-michigan

Tomlin had dinner with him.

They need a DE to rotate in (Heyward & Tuitt played far too many snaps).

But... he will likely be gone by 62.

Mojouw
04-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Howard Wilson is a guy that I think fits Colbert's recent trends. Oh, other teams are looking past you because your stats aren't that great and you probably came out too early? Fine. I'll take the guy that in another year would've gone in the first round.

Maybe Wilson can even be had in the third?

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Tomlin had dinner with him.

They need a DE to rotate in (Heyward & Tuitt played far too many snaps).

But... he will likely be gone by 62.

If we draft Tanoh how do you think he should be used

DesertSteel
04-28-2017, 10:33 AM
DESHONE KIZER, QB, NOTRE DAME

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Still could see an ILB.

CB, Quincy Wilson would be a nice addition also.

teegre
04-28-2017, 11:09 AM
If we draft Tanoh how do you think he should be used

LDE: Heyward (67% of snaps), Kpassagnon (33% of snaps)
RDE: Tuitt (67% of snaps), Kpassagnon (33% of snaps)

QUESTION:
I have seen Kpassagnon mocked everywhere from 50ish all the way to 170ish. Where do we take him? Is 62 too early???

Dwinsgames
04-28-2017, 11:20 AM

nope ...

Williams is a fantastic player , its just a preference , I do not think at this point you could go wrong with a half dozen safeties ( at 62 ) but probably only 2-3 of them will be there

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 11:23 AM
LDE: Heyward (67% of snaps), Kpassagnon (33% of snaps)
RDE: Tuitt (67% of snaps), Kpassagnon (33% of snaps)

QUESTION:
I have seen Kpassagnon mocked everywhere from 50ish all the way to 170ish. Where do we take him? Is 62 too early???

67% is too low IMO, for our 2 stars. Have to keep them up around 80 or so at least.

teegre
04-28-2017, 11:28 AM
67% is too low IMO, for our 2 stars. Have to keep them up around 80 or so at least.

I completely disagree.

When Heyward was up around 87%... he waned by week 13, and the next year, he got injured (over use???).

When Tuitt was up around 77%... he got injured (over use???). When end they were able to rotate in Ricardo Matthews (good-bye Cam Thomas), Tuitt was able to play the entire season.

Make sense?

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 11:38 AM
I completely disagree.

When Heyward was up around 87%... he waned by week 13, and the next year, he got injured (over use???).

When Tuitt was up around 77%... he got injured (over use???). When end they were able to rotate in Ricardo Matthews (good-bye Cam Thomas), Tuitt was able to play the entire season.

Make sense?

I thought their numbers were higher than that. Plus I thought most other DE's (stars at least) played up around that as well.

I am sure I heard Tuitt and Heyward were up near or over 90%

teegre
04-28-2017, 11:45 AM
I thought their numbers were higher than that. Plus I thought most other DE's (stars at least) played up around that as well.

I am sure I heard Tuitt and Heyward were up near or over 90%

260 lbs. 4-3 DEs can play 90% of the snaps.

300 lbs. 3-4 DEs do not play anywhere near 90% of the snaps (except for JJ Watt).

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 11:47 AM

They didn't get Peppers, Baker fits this mold.

Edit:

Josh Jones from NC State fits also.

Mojouw
04-28-2017, 11:51 AM
260 lbs. 4-3 DEs can play 90% of the snaps.

300 lbs. 3-4 DEs do not play anywhere near 90% of the snaps (except for JJ Watt).

And Watts back exploded as a result. Gotta get another DE to help carry the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teegre
04-28-2017, 11:51 AM
I've been reading the "Day 2 Mocks", and all of them have Joe Mixon going to the Bengals.

For the Steelers, here's who they have:

MMQB:
62 Justin Evans, S, Texas A&M
94 Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
105 Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky

Dane Brugler:

Lance Zierlein:
62 DeShone Kizer, QB, Norte Dame
94 Raekwon McMillan, ILB, Ohio St.
105 ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama

Matt Miller:
62 Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
94 Rasul Douglas, CB, West Virginia
105 Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami

(This one seems the most correct to me.)

teegre
04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
The Sporting News:
94 Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
105 Marlon Mack, RB, South Florida

All three met with the Steelers, but that is a LOT of offense.
And... The Sporting News is :jerkit:

BurghBoy412
04-28-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm thinking McMillan, Wormley or Sutton. With an outside shot at Jones.

st33lersguy
04-28-2017, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlP-qGQxzk

Bringing him in the secondary with Burns, MM, Cockrell, Davis :tt03:

If he was available and the Steelers selected him, that would be excellent

- - - Updated - - -

Lot of solid DBs still available, hope the Steelers grab the best one available

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Still holding out hope for Josh Jones. Maybe Obi if he gets to us. I'm a little stuck on the safety type that can roam if needed, but definitely a SS. On the other hand, what about a guy like Moreau who is a true centerfield FS? I just don't know how I feel about that type of safety.

I think it's going to be Cam Sutton. I hope for Josh Jones. Will settle for Budda Baker or Obi Melifonwu.

If Rivers, Bowser, or Willis are still there, I would consider a double dip at OLB.

I don't think it will be an offensive player, unless it's Godwin.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Lot of solid DBs still available, hope the Steelers grab the best one available

Agreed. I'd love if Awuzie fell. One of my favorite's. Day 1 slot corner.

Just can't rule out a trade up, they've wanted to before, now they have the ammo with the extra third.

Craic
04-28-2017, 12:49 PM
A punter.

tube517
04-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Greg Warren's replacement

Really, I would like to see a CB.

86WARD
04-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Greg Warren should have a lifetime one-year deal. Lol.

Craic
04-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Greg Warren should have a lifetime one-year deal. Lol.

:chuckle:

If there's a strong outside CB, I'd be happy to pick him up in the second. I'm not sure about a slot CB as I'm still hopeful Senquez G. will get on the field this year and show us what he has. Otherwise, I'd like to see us lock down a TE or a RB to spell Bell and back him up if Bell gets injured.

Is there a TE or RB there worthy of a 2 round grade? Don't know.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 01:13 PM
Think Josh Jones is my guy. Need a big guy to defend guys like Eifert, and new Browns TE Njoku.

6'2", 4.4 speed.

#62: Josh Jones, Safety/Slot CB, NC State.
#94: Shaq Griffin, CB, UCF
#105: RB/WR

teegre
04-28-2017, 01:21 PM

Running backs, yes:

Dalvin Cook, Florida St.
Alvin Kamara, Tennessee
D'Onta Foreman, Texas

Tight ends, it depends on who you ask:

Adam Shaheen, Ashland
Jordan Leggett, Clemson
Jake Butt, Michigan

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2017, 01:23 PM
If we want a money backer, Marcus Williams has never been talked about enough. I have all the confidence in the world that Budda Baker could do it even better, I just dont think he'll be there

Steelheart
04-28-2017, 01:56 PM
I think it's going to be Cam Sutton. I hope for Josh Jones. Will settle for Budda Baker or Obi Melifonwu.

With Baker or Obi or Williams for that matter, I don't think settling would be the right word. They are all good choices. Personally I would take any of the latter 3 over Jones.

If Rivers, Bowser, or Willis are still there, I would consider a double dip at OLB.

I still say this only happens if there is a plan to move Watt to inside. I just can't see them taking a depth guy in the 2nd round at a position they just got a new starter if you will (Harrison will probably be starting on the first Sunday).

Maybe worthy but not worth it. I don't think you spend this high of a draft pick on depth. I think 1-3 you should be aiming for starters or very potential starters and after that you can start drafting for depth. If they take an RB early it should be because the plan isn't to sign Bell to a long term deal. Otherwise you just find a solid veteran as your backup and you are good to go. Solid RB's are a dime a dozen and that is really all you are looking for in a backup.

teegre
04-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Maybe worthy but not worth it.

Plus, I really want James Conner.

#biased

Dwinsgames
04-28-2017, 02:13 PM
sign me up for anyone of the following over the next 2 rounds

( no specific order )

27. Quincy Wilson, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/quincy-wilson?id=2557961) CB, Florida
28. Kevin King, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/kevin-king?id=2557996) CB, Washington
32. Chidobe Awuzie, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chidobe-awuzie?id=2557840) CB, Colorado
38. Marcus Williams, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-williams?id=2558068) S, Utah
75. Dawuane Smoot (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dawuane-smoot?id=2557839), DE, Illinois
80. Sidney Jones (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/sidney-jones?id=2557958), CB, Washington
81. Brian Hill (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/brian-hill?id=2558112), RB, Wyoming
121. Cordrea Tankersley (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/cordrea-tankersley?id=2557931), CB, Clemson
118. Jake Butt (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jake-butt?id=2557859), TE, Michigan
127. Tarell Basham (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tarell-basham?id=2558165), DE, Ohio
129. Derek Rivers (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/derek-rivers?id=2558040), DE, Youngstown St.
96. Tanoh Kpassagnon (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tanoh-kpassagnon?id=2558185), DE, Villanova
73. Raekwon McMillan (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/raekwon-mcmillan?id=2558070), LB, Ohio State
39. Josh Jones, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-jones?id=2558119) S, North Carolina State
40. Jordan Willis, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jordan-willis?id=2557884) DE, Kansas State
44. Marcus Maye, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-maye?id=2557995) S, Florida
55. Budda Baker (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/budda-baker?id=2558009), S, Washington
57. Daeshon Hall (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/daeshon-hall?id=2557842), DE, Texas A&M
61. Jourdan Lewis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jourdan-lewis?id=2557920), CB, Michigan
68. Tyus Bowser (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tyus-bowser?id=2558166), OLB, Houston
69. Obi Melifonwu (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/obi-melifonwu?id=2558189), S, Connecticut
70. Desmond King (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/desmond-king?id=2557927), CB, Iowa
77. Carl Lawson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/carl-lawson?id=2557901), DE, Auburn
80. Sidney Jones (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/sidney-jones?id=2557958), CB, Washington
85. Cam Sutton (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/cameron-sutton?id=2557902), CB, Tennessee
88. D'Onta Foreman (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/donta-foreman?id=2557994), RB, Texas
65. Samaje Perine (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/samaje-perine?id=2558138), RB, Oklahoma
53. Justin Evans (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/justin-evans?id=2557945), S, Texas A&M

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 02:30 PM
sign me up for anyone of the following over the next 2 rounds

( no specific order )

27. Quincy Wilson, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/quincy-wilson?id=2557961) CB, Florida
28. Kevin King, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/kevin-king?id=2557996) CB, Washington
32. Chidobe Awuzie, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/chidobe-awuzie?id=2557840) CB, Colorado
38. Marcus Williams, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-williams?id=2558068) S, Utah
75. Dawuane Smoot (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dawuane-smoot?id=2557839), DE, Illinois
81. Brian Hill (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/brian-hill?id=2558112), RB, Wyoming
121. Cordrea Tankersley (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/cordrea-tankersley?id=2557931), CB, Clemson
118. Jake Butt (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jake-butt?id=2557859), TE, Michigan
127. Tarell Basham (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tarell-basham?id=2558165), DE, Ohio
129. Derek Rivers (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/derek-rivers?id=2558040), DE, Youngstown St.
96. Tanoh Kpassagnon (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tanoh-kpassagnon?id=2558185), DE, Villanova
73. Raekwon McMillan (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/raekwon-mcmillan?id=2558070), LB, Ohio State
39. Josh Jones, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-jones?id=2558119) S, North Carolina State
40. Jordan Willis, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jordan-willis?id=2557884) DE, Kansas State
44. Marcus Maye, (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marcus-maye?id=2557995) S, Florida
55. Budda Baker (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/budda-baker?id=2558009), S, Washington
57. Daeshon Hall (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/daeshon-hall?id=2557842), DE, Texas A&M
61. Jourdan Lewis (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jourdan-lewis?id=2557920), CB, Michigan
68. Tyus Bowser (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tyus-bowser?id=2558166), OLB, Houston
69. Obi Melifonwu (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/obi-melifonwu?id=2558189), S, Connecticut
70. Desmond King (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/desmond-king?id=2557927), CB, Iowa
77. Carl Lawson (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/carl-lawson?id=2557901), DE, Auburn
85. Cam Sutton (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/cameron-sutton?id=2557902), CB, Tennessee
88. D'Onta Foreman (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/donta-foreman?id=2557994), RB, Texas
65. Samaje Perine (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/samaje-perine?id=2558138), RB, Oklahoma
53. Justin Evans (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/justin-evans?id=2557945), S, Texas A&M

Do 40 times mean much to you for DBs? If so, what would be an acceptable range?

Dwinsgames
04-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Do 40 times mean much to you for DBs? If so, what would be an acceptable range?

now that is a trick question LOL

yes they matter but only if it shows up on tape

meaning in 40 yard dash you can measure how quickly someone can run the distance in a straight line and they may not have the greatest of time and another guy may beat him by .2 seconds ( that is literally the blink of an eye ) some guys can make that difference up in recognition speed because CB is a read react position as much as anything else so it minimizes straight line speed to some degree if the player shows good awareness and reaction speed ...

I would draft a guy who has proven he can mirror a player in coverage over a player who has shown me he can run fast in a straight line .... you wont always have to run super fast but you always needs to be within arms reach of the man you are covering

prefer 4.5 or better but think some guys can run 4.6 and still get the job done

BurghBoy412
04-28-2017, 02:57 PM
I really like the idea of having a guy named Wormley. Every team needs a "worm".

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 03:01 PM

meaning in 40 yard dash you can measure how quickly someone can run the distance in a straight line and they may not have the greatest of time and another guy may beat him by .2 seconds ( that is literally the blink of an eye ) some guys can make that difference up in recognition speed because CB is a read react position as much as anything else so it minimizes straight line speed to some degree if the player shows good awareness and reaction speed ...

I would draft a guy who has proven he can mirror a player in coverage over a player who has shown me he can run fast in a straight line .... you wont always have to run super fast but you always needs to be within arms reach of the man you are covering

Not meant to be a trick question. The Steelers showed late interest in Myrick from Minn, speedy slot CB with decent production. I think he can be drafted on Saturday unless the 'predicted' run on DBs happens mid 2nd round. Then he would need to be taken tonight. Thing is, Myrick is not rated as highly as most of the guys on your list but can run with almost every slot WR in the NFL right now. If you go by his 40 time. Just not sure how important that is vs someone rated higher that plays the same position. Why the higher rating for a slot corner that runs slower? Tackling and ball skills seem about the same when you put the tape on. I would think, at slot, faster would mean better.

BlackAndGold
04-28-2017, 03:45 PM
2 more hours.

Devil's D
04-28-2017, 03:48 PM
I think it will be Sutton or Maye at 62.

But, I would rather have Chidobe or Budda (even if the Steelers had to move up).

I will be happy as long as the Steelers get a S & CB before the end of the 3rd round.

Craic
04-28-2017, 03:50 PM

I think this just about nails it. It's a tool, a check for what your eyes are telling you on game tape. If the guy runs a 4.4 but looks slow on tape, then the question is why? Maybe it's an injury during the season that wasn't well known, maybe it was a problem with recognition that a coach thinks he can fix. Maybe he just looks slow running, but actually isn't. The reverse is also true. That's why I consider things like the forty and cone drills to be checks for game tape. Other drills focused on handwork, direction reaction, long jump, weight bench, etc., all show traits to set a baseline for what the player can do.

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 04:27 PM
I think this just about nails it. It's a tool, a check for what your eyes are telling you on game tape. If the guy runs a 4.4 but looks slow on tape, then the question is why? Maybe it's an injury during the season that wasn't well known, maybe it was a problem with recognition that a coach thinks he can fix. Maybe he just looks slow running, but actually isn't. The reverse is also true. That's why I consider things like the forty and cone drills to be checks for game tape. Other drills focused on handwork, direction reaction, long jump, weight bench, etc., all show traits to set a baseline for what the player can do.

As an example of what my original question is about...
Compare Adoree Jackson, tape and writer's opinions, to Jalen Myrick, tape and writer's opinions.
Next look at one ran a 4.28/40 and one ran a 4.42/40. The faster guy is ranked 3-4 rounds later than the slower guy. (Dismiss everything but the CB ability for the sake of comparison) Being drafted to play CB.
Where is the real value at CB?

teegre
04-28-2017, 04:31 PM
I am assuming that we will be using this thread as the Round 2 DISCUSSION thread...

Or, do we need a new/separate thread???

Born2Steel
04-28-2017, 04:32 PM
I am assuming that we will be using this thread as the Round 2 DISCUSSION thread...

Or, do we need a new/separate thread???

This one is a bit muddy now. MAYBE A NEW ONE PLEASE.

teegre
04-28-2017, 04:34 PM
This one is a bit muddy now. MAYBE A NEW ONE PLEASE.

I'm it!!!

st33lersguy
04-28-2017, 08:30 PM
WR was literally the last thing they needed. They needed DB help to play man better and stop the elite QBs. WRs don't win Super Bowls and this guy probably doesn't even play behind a stacked WR corp

DesertSteel
04-28-2017, 09:17 PM
WR was literally the last thing they needed. They needed DB help to play man better and stop the elite QBs. WRs don't win Super Bowls and this guy probably doesn't even play behind a stacked WR corp
Playmakers win super bowls, not matter what position. I'm always good with BPA.