PDA

View Full Version : TPOP: Luck Be a Steeler Tonight

teegre
04-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Here is my latest editorial from The Point of Pittsburgh. It is (obviously) a mock draft... with a little bit of a twist.

Luck Be a Steeler Tonight
by Tiger Rowan

For the first time in as long as I have been following the draft (twenty-five years), I have little-to-no clue how the first round will unfold. In turn, it is nearly impossible to predict which players will be available at pick 30 for the Steelers to choose from. For example, I have seen Carl Lawson mocked as high as the teens and as low as round three. The same goes for Desmond King. And, Davis Webb. And, so forth.

The point being that the 2017 NFL Draft is simply a crap shoot, which got me thinking: maybe I should NOT be trying to figure out whom the Steelers will draft. Instead, maybe I should let Lady Luck decide my mock for me. Really. It would probably be just as accurate.

Of course, I am not going to haphazardly use completely blind luck; there will obviously be parameters. Otherwise, I could end up mocking an offensive tackle to the Steelers (when it’s one of the positions where the Steelers are actually extremely deep and talented).

Read more:
http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/luck-be-a-draft-pick-tonight-or-thursday-for-the-steelers/

Feel free to pass this along to any Steelers fans (or, Dungeons & Dragons aficionados) that you think might enjoy reading this.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 01:02 PM
I actually had the same 1st 3 rounds but changed to Sutton just to be different. I really like Josh Jones better as a safety, but Peppers is better all around athlete and can play on the offense too if called upon.

teegre
04-26-2017, 02:22 PM
I actually had the same 1st 3 rounds but changed to Sutton just to be different. I really like Josh Jones better as a safety, but Peppers is better all around athlete and can play on the offense too if called upon.

Sutton:
He's a good one, too... and the Steelers met with him on threee different occasions. He is a legitimate possibility at 62, but I do not think that he will be there in R3. And, since I think that Rivers is a lock to be a Steeler, I had to wait until R3 for a CB.

Josh Jones:
Have you seen Chad Reuter's mock draft? He has us taking Jones in R1... followed by a bunch of guys that we have all talked about. Reuter is a secret Steelers fan. :lol:

pczach
04-26-2017, 02:39 PM
A unique take teeg!

That was fun.

On a side note, Magic 8-Balls have the incredible ability to answer absolutely nothing while frustrating you to no end. They are simultaneously creepy and aggravating.

It takes a brave man to walk that path. :chuckle:

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:15 PM
A unique take teeg!

That was fun.

On a side note, Magic 8-Balls have the incredible ability to answer absolutely nothing while frustrating you to no end. They are simultaneously creepy and aggravating.

It takes a brave man to walk that path. :chuckle:

Joking aside, it was just about as accurate as any of our mocks stand to be.

Really.

It's just as likely to be Peppers as it is Njoku... or, Lawson... or, Sutton... or...

pczach
04-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Joking aside, it was just about as accurate as any of our mocks stand to be.

Really.

It's just as likely to be Peppers as it is Njoku... or, Lawson... or, Sutton... or...

That would be a completely acceptable and understandable draft.

The Magic 8-Ball and other games of chance did better than most! :rofl2::rofl2:

I feel so dirty just saying that.

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:24 PM
That would be a completely acceptable and understandable draft.

The Magic 8-Ball and other games of chance did better than most! :rofl2::rofl2:

I feel so dirty just saying that.

The Magic 8 ball might be biased, because whenever I asked about Carl Lawson, it replied: "F*ck war eagle... ROLL TIDE!!!"

pczach
04-26-2017, 04:29 PM
The Magic 8 ball might be biased, because whenever I asked about Carl Lawson, it replied: "F*ck war eagle... ROLL TIDE!!!"

Who knows that Nick Saban programmed the Magic 8 Ball????

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:32 PM
Who knows that Nick Saban programmed the Magic 8 Ball????

I'm thinking that it was Ozzie.

(He trolls me, as you know.)

pczach
04-26-2017, 04:36 PM
I'm thinking that it was Ozzie.

(He trolls me, as you know.)

It's always about you, isn't it?

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
It's always about you, isn't it?

As the Magic 8 ball would say: "It is decidedly so."

pczach
04-26-2017, 04:40 PM
As the Magic 8 ball would say: "It is decidedly so."

:tea:

teegre
04-27-2017, 09:21 AM
After the diluted sample, I was a little concerned about Magic 8 ball's selection of Peppers. I had contemplated emailing my editor, to change the pick... but, when I asked Magic 8 ball if Peppers is still the pick, it replied "As I see it ... yes". So, I went with it (did not email my editor).

Still, I was concerned.

But, I just read this (from Lance Zierlein):

3. Peppers takes a tumble: I don't expect Michigan's Jabrill Peppers to free-fall in this draft, but there were several teams who simply weren't carrying first-round grades on him even before information on his diluted sample from the NFL Scouting Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine) came out. I spoke with a few teams who all believe that the Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) at No. 30 might be his best chance to land in the first round.

Whew!!! Once again, I feel good about the pick. (Thank you, Magic 8 ball.)

tube517
04-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Good read as usual. Thanks Tiger..... :thumbsup:

Born2Steel
04-27-2017, 10:09 AM
After the diluted sample, I was a little concerned about Magic 8 ball's selection of Peppers. I had contemplated emailing my editor, to change the pick... but, when I asked Magic 8 ball if Peppers is still the pick, it replied "As I see it ... yes". So, I went with it (did not email my editor).

Still, I was concerned.

But, I just read this (from Lance Zierlein):

Whew!!! Once again, I feel good about the pick. (Thank you, Magic 8 ball.)
Now we know how Zierlein makes his picks as well.

teegre
04-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Now we know how ALL DRAFT "GURUS" makes his picks as well.

Slight edit. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Sutton:
He's a good one, too... and the Steelers met with him on threee different occasions. He is a legitimate possibility at 62, but I do not think that he will be there in R3. And, since I think that Rivers is a lock to be a Steeler, I had to wait until R3 for a CB.

Josh Jones:
Have you seen Chad Reuter's mock draft? He has us taking Jones in R1... followed by a bunch of guys that we have all talked about. Reuter is a secret Steelers fan. :lol:

Ive read that Sutton probably could have been a borderline 1st round pick if not for his fractured foot or ankle or whatever before the season. What do you think teegre

teegre
04-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Ive read that Sutton probably could have been a borderline 1st round pick if not for his fractured foot or ankle or whatever before the season. What do you think teegre

He's a realistic possibility at 30... and, I'd have no problem with that.

It should be noted that the Steelers met with him more than any other DB in this draft (3 times), which is very telling.

teegre
04-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Before the 2016 draft, I felt that Sutton was a sure-fire "end of R1" pick.

But, he decided to go back to school. Then, his stock dropped (as opposed to rising to the teens). So, if he was the pick at 30, I'd be fine with it.

Texasteel
04-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Before the 2016 draft, I felt that Sutton was a sure-fire "end of R1" pick.

But, he decided to go back to school. Then, his stock dropped (as opposed to rising to the teens). So, if he was the pick at 30, I'd be fine with it.

Sutton was a kid I wanted in last years draft as well, but then kind of fell in love with Burns.

teegre
04-27-2017, 02:20 PM
Sutton was a kid I wanted in last years draft as well, but then kind of fell in love with Burns.

Yep.

Up until the players had to commit, I was all about Cameron Sutton.

As soon as he went back to school, I was all about Artie Burns.