PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rank second in national survey

LLT
09-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Steelers rank second in national survey
By Wall Street Journal
Tuesday, September 14, 2010

....In a first-of-its-kind study performed this summer, Nielsen Co., the media-research firm, developed a system for ranking the popularity of NFL teams based on each team's local and national TV rankings, how often they're mentioned on the Internet and how many visitors they attract to their official websites. The report, dubbed the Nielsen Sports Media Exposure Index, is the company's first attempt to classify pro football teams in this manner.

Not surprisingly, the survey confirms that America's team is, in fact, "America's Team," as in the Dallas Cowboys. In the final ranking, they were a stunning 23 percent more popular than the No. 2 team, their old rivals the Steelers. The Giants were next, followed by three of the four teams in the NFC's North division: the Chicago Bears, the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings.

Read more:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_699341.html

CPanther95
09-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Neilsen has their head up their ass here as much as they do with their antiquated TV ratings system.

Including television ratings is asinine when evaluating popularity. I watch the Cowboys every week in order to root for the other team. Same thing goes for "internet mentions".

The only way to do it is with a poll like Harris does - asking "Who is your favorite team?" - but Neilsen doesn't do anything that can't be collected automatically by a people meter sitting on top of a senior citizen's 23 year old television.

venom
09-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Repost from one of my threads I started I believe last week .

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/2571-NFL-s-Most-Popular-Teams-Wall-Street-Journal

Can I get a Moderator to confirm , lol

cold-hard-steel
09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Easy der big fella. Calm down. Just another artical. We know who the top dog is.

venom
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Easy der big fella. Calm down. Just another artical. We know who the top dog is.

I'm always calm . You live longer . :tt02:

SteelGhost
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Who cares about "America's Team" when we cheer for the UNIVERSAL team ? LOL.