PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers have exercised their fifth-year option on LB Ryan Shazier

polamalubeast
04-24-2017, 02:54 PM

Rotorhead
04-24-2017, 03:41 PM
Wow, huge surprise there /sarcasm

I am glad they did, hopefully he will be a career Steeler!

86WARD
04-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Let's be honest...did they really have a choice?

steelerdude15
04-25-2017, 12:54 PM
He needs to stay healthy.

st33lersguy
04-25-2017, 02:34 PM
WOW THIS NEWS REALLY BLINDSIDED ME!! (not)

Dwinsgames
04-25-2017, 06:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C99eK7iXYAAnN9V.png:large

Psycho Ward 86
04-25-2017, 06:41 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C99eK7iXYAAnN9V.png:large

um...wow. thats remarkable company to be in

Craic
04-25-2017, 07:45 PM
He needs to stay healthy.

And that's probably precisely why they went to the optional year rather than tying him up long term after his fourth year. It's a risk in that he has the potential to command a much larger contract after his fifth year if he stays healthy and plays at a very high level. However, with his injury history, I think it is the right choice.

Dwinsgames
04-25-2017, 07:49 PM
And that's probably precisely why they went to the optional year rather than tying him up long term after his fourth year. It's a risk in that he has the potential to command a much larger contract after his fifth year if he stays healthy and plays at a very high level. However, with his injury history, I think it is the right choice.

but it also gives you another entire year to negotiate a long term deal and Ben may be off the books at that point , ( I hope not but it could be )

polamalubeast
04-25-2017, 07:53 PM

The Steelers would not negotiate with Shazier this year if he was always healthy

The steelers will do the same thing with Shazier as they did with Cam Heyward and Decastro.

And at least Shazier has always been healthy in the playoffs.

Steelheart
04-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Health is definitely the biggest concern. Really hoping he continues the upward trend in coverage. A lot of people knock Timmons and Williams but Shazier was never particularly great at it either. He did seem to improve this year though.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 01:28 PM
What are the thoughts on Matakevich? I'm thinking unless Williams takes a huge step forward, Tyler may just take that spot from him. I'm not overly impressed with either and would love to land another Shaz in this draft, but Matakevich may pass Williams over this season.

Mojouw
04-26-2017, 01:30 PM
What are the thoughts on Matakevich? I'm thinking unless Williams takes a huge step forward, Tyler may just take that spot from him. I'm not overly impressed with either and would love to land another Shaz in this draft, but Matakevich may pass Williams over this season.

Based on what? Matakevich's next big NFL play will be his first. He and Chicillo have to the two most over-hyped guys on the roster. Don't get me wrong they are great depth pieces, but everyone seems annually to breathlessly anticipate their arrival in the starting line-up and yet there is often no game film based reason for this excitement.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 02:01 PM
Based on what? Matakevich's next big NFL play will be his first. He and Chicillo have to the two most over-hyped guys on the roster. Don't get me wrong they are great depth pieces, but everyone seems annually to breathlessly anticipate their arrival in the starting line-up and yet there is often no game film based reason for this excitement.

Reading too much into my post's first 2 sentences. Read on. NEED an ILB to play next to Shazier. All I'm saying is Matakevich may pass Williams on the depth chart, maybe in preseason. Williams is not the answer after Timmons. My question is what are the thoughts on Matakevich over Williams.

Shoes
04-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Reading too much into my post's first 2 sentences. Read on. NEED an ILB to play next to Shazier. All I'm saying is Matakevich may pass Williams on the depth chart, maybe in preseason. Williams is not the answer after Timmons. My question is what are the thoughts on Matakevich over Williams.

I think with more playing time Red could pass Williams. The kid can tackle and has a nose for the ball.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/10/tyler-matakevich-fills-stat-sheet-fourth-quarter-action/

teegre
04-26-2017, 02:18 PM

I think that we will see Williams & Matakevich as the backups here for a long time. One as the backup to Shazier, and the other as the backup to PERSON.

As of now...

Shazier Big Red
Williams Big Red

In the future...

Shazier Williams
PERSON Big Red

Mojouw
04-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Okay. That was a pretty solid fail for my reading comprehension skills. I just see both Williams and Red as the kind of ILB that pile up tackles as the offense nibbles 3-5 yard gains all the way down the field. I do hope they draft Teegre's PERSON this year or next.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Okay. That was a pretty solid fail for my reading comprehension skills. I just see both Williams and Red as the kind of ILB that pile up tackles as the offense nibbles 3-5 yard gains all the way down the field. I do hope they draft Teegre's PERSON this year or next.

As do I. For some reason I really like Jarrad Davis. But...he would most likely have to be a 1st round pick. I think I would rather get Watt or Willis there.

86WARD
04-26-2017, 03:58 PM
I think that we will see Williams & Matakevich as the backups here for a long time. One as the backup to Shazier, and the other as the backup to PERSON.

As of now...

Shazier Big Red
Williams Big Red

In the future...

Shazier Williams
PERSON Big Red

PERSON has all the skills...lol.

I agree with your assessment though. Not sure if I am in the minority or not but I don't think Williams is starter material. Hopefully I am wrong, but I just don't see it.

Mojouw
04-26-2017, 04:06 PM

As of now...

Shazier Big Red
Williams Big Red

In the future...

Shazier Williams
PERSON Big Red

Links to highlights and scouting reports or I call BS! No one can be as good as PERSON is reported to be! Don't be sheep and watch the film for yourself! Anyone with eyes can see that RANDOM SOB is a much better prosepct!

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Links to highlights and scouting reports or I call BS! No one can be as good as PERSON is reported to be! Don't be sheep and watch the film for yourself! Anyone with eyes can see that RANDOM SOB is a much better prosepct!

RANDOM SOB has a drinking problem... but, since it's the NFL, that's okay.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 04:15 PM
RANDOM SOB has a drinking problem... but, since it's the NFL, that's okay.

If RANDOM SOB is as talented as DRUNKEN SOB(older brother maybe), I'm definitely a fan.

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:16 PM
If RANDOM SOB is as talented as DRUNKEN SOB(older brother maybe), I'm definitely a fan.

RANDOM SOB gets by on his brother's fame.

RANDOM NONAME gets no hype because he played at West Carolina A&T.

pczach
04-26-2017, 04:34 PM

PERSON may have a high ceiling, but Big Red is all guts and glory. Of course, he'll never be as good as Isaac Redman but I digress........

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:36 PM
PERSON may have a high ceiling, but Big Red is all guts and glory. Of course, he'll never be as good as Isaac Redman but I digress........

Cyphon likes this post.

pczach
04-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Cyphon likes this post.

You always remember the names of all the Ghosts of Message Boards Past. How do you do that? :rofl2:

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 04:39 PM
RANDOM SOB gets by on his brother's fame.

RANDOM NONAME gets no hype because he played at West Carolina A&T.

Interesting, I tried to play at Carolina West's T&A. :tongue1:

teegre
04-26-2017, 04:46 PM
You always remember the names of all the Ghosts of Message Boards Past. How do you do that? :rofl2:

I have a detailed computer file on each one of you -er- I have a good memory.

Rotorhead
04-26-2017, 05:37 PM
I think Williams will be fine, especially playing behind our DL which is probably the best in FB right now. I agree we could use an upgrade, but I do not agree it needs to happen this year over 2 other bigger def needs.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 07:15 PM
IF.....Haason Reddick, Jarrad Davis, Rueben Foster, (Tyus Bowser, or TJ Watt(can play ILB or OLB)) are there at 30, they will have to be considered as the pick. If Williams were the answer, there would not have been such a big fuss over Hightower. Hightower was made an offer. Williams is a solid backup, but he needs to be upgraded. We must upgrade our slot CB, and hopefully add a ballhawk safety in the mix. The middle of our defense is exposed in the passing game.

Psycho Ward 86
04-26-2017, 07:40 PM
IF.....Haason Reddick, Jarrad Davis, Rueben Foster, (Tyus Bowser, or TJ Watt(can play ILB or OLB)) are there at 30, they will have to be considered as the pick. If Williams were the answer, there would not have been such a big fuss over Hightower. Hightower was made an offer. Williams is a solid backup, but he needs to be upgraded. We must upgrade our slot CB, and hopefully add a ballhawk safety in the mix. The middle of our defense is exposed in the passing game.

If the steelers were in such full blown panic mode over Timmons leaving, they would have chased more than just Hightower. The fact that they only chased him shows that they probably saw an opportunity to make a massive upgrade (and saw all the other ILB's on the market as "not worth the money/time/pedigree) but wouldnt have lost sleep over Williams starting if they failed. Kevin Minter and Zach Brown were out there, would have been significant upgrades and didnt cost much and we didnt even take a sniff. That being said, Jarrad Davis, Reuben Foster, or Raekwon McMillan are all players I will happily take if the steelers want to upgrade.

Born2Steel
04-26-2017, 09:35 PM
If the steelers were in such full blown panic mode over Timmons leaving, they would have chased more than just Hightower. The fact that they only chased him shows that they probably saw an opportunity to make a massive upgrade (and saw all the other ILB's on the market as "not worth the money/time/pedigree) but wouldnt have lost sleep over Williams starting if they failed. Kevin Minter and Zach Brown were out there, would have been significant upgrades and didnt cost much and we didnt even take a sniff. That being said, Jarrad Davis, Reuben Foster, or Raekwon McMillan are all players I will happily take if the steelers want to upgrade.

How did you make the leap to "full blown panic"?

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 12:12 AM
How did you make the leap to "full blown panic"?

Probably from your entire post about how Vince Williams needs to be upgraded, how we made a big fuss over Hightower, and how 5 players (1 of which is a tweener at best, 2 of which are clearly edge rushers) have to be considered in the context of William's (clearly an inside linebacker) "upgrade"

Born2Steel
04-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Probably from your entire post about how Vince Williams needs to be upgraded, how we made a big fuss over Hightower, and how 5 players (1 of which is a tweener at best, 2 of which are clearly edge rushers) have to be considered in the context of William's (clearly an inside linebacker) "upgrade"

LOL!

There was a "big fuss" over Hightower. That is a fact. Hightower was offered a deal, and told it was void once he left. They were serious, not in 'panic', but very serious about the offer. I still have no idea why Brown wasn't brought in. I actually liked Brown better.
Those 5 players are my opinion. Watt, Bowser, and Reddick can all play the ILB/OLB role, so why wouldn't I include them? It really doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. There is obvious concern at ILB, that cannot be denied.

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 08:40 AM
LOL!

There was a "big fuss" over Hightower. That is a fact. Hightower was offered a deal, and told it was void once he left. They were serious, not in 'panic', but very serious about the offer. I still have no idea why Brown wasn't brought in. I actually liked Brown better.
Those 5 players are my opinion. Watt, Bowser, and Reddick can all play the ILB/OLB role, so why wouldn't I include them? It really doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. There is obvious concern at ILB, that cannot be denied.

i just did.

Born2Steel
04-27-2017, 10:43 AM
i just did.

Well...ok then. I stand corrected. :nw::applaudit::hatsoff: