PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl LII still well within reach, but with detail work.

StillCurtains
04-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Hello Guys!

The 2017 NFL Draft is just a couple days away. Here's to hoping that we can find much needed starters in the pass rush and man coverage department. Who knows how the draft will turn out? Maybe it turns out great and we are much improved? Maybe it doesn't turn out to be the way we would have liked? If it happens to be that the team has only slightly improved after the draft, and the defense improves at least slightly, then there still is a way and here are some keys.

1) Health: We all know this is the main key to every season. There will be injuries. As long as we can stay away from significant injuries we have a chance.

2) The offense: This would be the main area in giving them a chance. If the defense struggles they can outscore any team in the league. They will have to make some adjustments though and things need to fall in place.

2a) Reinstatement of Bryant: This is what I mean by things falling into place. Bryant has been training hard and is absolutely jacked! He's a matchup nightmare. Hopefully if reinstated his suspension is a blessing in disguise and he is truly focused.

2b) D. Green: If he can stay healthy this season, adding him potentially with Bryant gives Ben a beavy of riches. If not, maybe another year for James can fill the void.

2c) The emergence of the slot WR: There is serious competition at the slot with the hopes that Bryant is back. Rogers, Coates, Turner, Hey Bey. I think Hamilton will be on the outside looking in. With the competition so steep, whoever emerges will be an asset to the offense.

2d) Ben: Ben as we know makes this offense run. However, he has to get rid of these bad stretches where he's throwing 2 picks a game. The ones that he is throwing are some bad looking ones. If you need an example, they look more like the pick he threw at the goal line in SB XL that was almost returned for a TD. Way too much air on it and not enough arch do get over the defender. He needs to clean that up.

2e) Offensive playcalling: This offense can be very explosive most particularly with Bryant on the field. However, they need to focus on patience more and take what the defense is giving them. At times Ben and Haley force the ball to AB despite coverage. Check down to someone else. I know Bryant was gone but they have forced the ball to AB with Bryant there as well.

They also need to stop the deep throws on 3rd and short. They did it in the championship game with the bomb to Coates. The pass was perfect and he dropped it, but it's a low percentage play. They could have gotten a 2 yard pass to Rogers. When you miss those plays you leave possible points on the field and let the opposition off the hook.

Also taking the higher percentage play and getting the first down at the very least gives you more TOP and keeps the opposing offense off the field. That's just not smart football and Ben and Haley both should know better. They can get so enamoured with trying to show how explosive they are. It's one of the reasons our drives stall. Being smart and patient when you need to be goes a long way.

Going for 2 as often as the do is also not very smart. Doing it every now and then or when you need to I can understand. Doing it when you score the first TD is stupid. What is the point? When you do it as often as they do it catches up to you. For instance the Dallas game. They failed so many times that they had to keep doing it because they were chasing the points lost on failed attempts.

I would say that the redzone needs to improve but due to Bryant's absence and bad receiver play it contributed to it. I will say this though. It would be nice to run Bell off tackle every once in awhile while down there when defenses are stacking the middle. Why continue to run him up the middle in that situation?

3) Team discipline: They need to stop shooting themselves in the foot. The penalties have been terrible with the majority coming from horrible special teams play.

This is the route I feel they can win if the defense has not been rounded into shape after the draft. If the defense turns out great, all the better. If not, for the offense they can get it done, but I feel they need to do a good amount of detail.