PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Evaluate TJ Watt, Believe He’s A Top 40 Pick

Shoes
04-19-2017, 06:49 PM
I hope he's a Steeler next Thursday.

Pretty light day here at the Depot. We’ll round things off with some scouts’ take on Wisconsin OLB TJ Watt, a name that’s in play for the Pittsburgh Steelers at pick 30. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’sBob McGinn is one of the best draft reporters in this process because of his “in” with several scouts, giving us some really good inside information.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/scouts-evaluate-tj-watt-believe-hes-top-40-pick/

DesertSteel
04-19-2017, 07:20 PM
I hope he's a Steeler next Thursday.

Me too bro!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
I think it's going to be him or Peppers and am okay with either. TJ is old school Steeler style and Peppers is new school like Shazier. Again happy to here either name mentioned Thursday!

04-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Thing about Watt being a left olb which means we would have him splitting at right olb with James. Can he learn the transition quickly ?

Shoes
04-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Thing about Watt being a left olb which means we would have him splitting at right olb with James. Can he learn the transition quickly ?

He's a smart kid and Lebeau isn't here to keep him on the bench for 3-4 years, so I say yes.

04-19-2017, 09:34 PM
He's a smart kid and Lebeau isn't here to keep him on the bench for 3-4 years, so I say yes. I think he could to Shoes. Definitely the position he would have since Dupree pretty much has the left side lock down. I caught two live games watching TJ. I like him!

Shoes
04-19-2017, 09:46 PM
I think he could to Shoes. Definitely the position he would have since Dupree pretty much has the left side lock down. I caught two live games watching TJ. I like him!

Poor kid he'd have to learn the position from Harrison & JJ. :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
04-19-2017, 09:55 PM

im sure it will be an easier transition than tight end to OLB, a transition he went through smoothly!

st33lersguy
04-19-2017, 11:10 PM
If he's there at 30, Steelers should take him. Would be surprised if a guy like him is still there

BlackAndGold
04-20-2017, 03:04 AM

Last year there was talk(believe it was Bouchette, or Dulac) of Dupree switching sides for this season. Guess we'll have to wait and see if that's true.

teegre
04-20-2017, 06:12 AM
The Steelers have stated that they don't see Watt as a R1 pick.

Couple that with Alex's article about trading out of R1...

40: TJ Watt
62:
94:
98:
105:

30 (620) = 40 (500) + 98 (108) (Carolina)

Six Rings
04-20-2017, 08:36 AM
I think it's going to be him or Peppers and am okay with either. TJ is old school Steeler style and Peppers is new school like Shazier. Again happy to here either name mentioned Thursday!

Peppers lack of splash plays scares me a bit. I'd be happy with Watt. Keep in mind he only had one full season of college ball and was ultra productive in the Big Ten. I saw his film.

He's a strong man, with good agility, a good motor, and a high football IQ. Not just an edge rusher, he's a plus run defender, has a knack for swatting passes ( like his brother ) and is a good enough athlete to be deployed in some coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

Peppers lack of splash plays scares me a bit. I'd be happy with Watt. Keep in mind he only had one full season of college ball and was ultra productive in the Big Ten. I saw his film.

He's a strong man, with good agility, a good motor, and a high football IQ. Not just an edge rusher, he's a plus run defender, has a knack for swatting passes ( like his brother ) and is a good enough athlete to be deployed in some coverage.

Born2Steel
04-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Butler's defense is going more athletic and less scheme specific according to some media types. Looking at it I think they may be on to something. Burns and Davis never would have seen the field under LeBeau because of the complicated schemes. Although it worked, it made the Steelers have to draft just the right guy for the position as well. Butler's simpler scheme/more athletic player approach, lessens the learning curve, plus allows for many prospects that can play positions of need/upgrade. Just another reason why it's so hard to nail down who we want at 30. So many to choose from.

Six Rings
04-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Butler's defense is going more athletic and less scheme specific according to some media types. Looking at it I think they may be on to something. Burns and Davis never would have seen the field under LeBeau because of the complicated schemes. Although it worked, it made the Steelers have to draft just the right guy for the position as well. Butler's simpler scheme/more athletic player approach, lessens the learning curve, plus allows for many prospects that can play positions of need/upgrade. Just another reason why it's so hard to nail down who we want at 30. So many to choose from.

Born2Steel,

It is my opinion the reason Burns and Davis played a lot as rookies is because there was no one ahead of them. The depth at corner and safety was thin going into the 2016 season.

Gay, was one projected starter, but he was also our best slot corner. The other projected starter was Golden, who's really a special teams ace and back up safety.

Cockrell, scooped up fro the Bills who cut him was the other starter at cornerback. The other Safety was the veteran Mitchell

So playing your #1 and #2 pick early was a necessity, not some daring move by Butler.

As for Butler's defensive design, I think he likes a nickel with off man zone type of coverage. A defense that prevents bog plays, and one that can work IF you offense scores a lot of points AND you have a decent pass rush.

But when the Steelers play a top tiered QB, they rip this soft zone coverage apart. This is why I'd like to see more corners drafted with man coverage ability, and a ball hawking type of safety.

DesertSteel
04-20-2017, 10:43 AM
The Steelers have stated that they don't see Watt as a R1 pick.

I missed that. Where did that appear? I hope it's a smoke screen because if he's there and they pass I believe they'll regret it. I think he's going to go to multiple Pro Bowls.

Born2Steel
04-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Born2Steel,

It is my opinion the reason Burns and Davis played a lot as rookies is because there was no one ahead of them. The depth at corner and safety was thin going into the 2016 season.

Gay, was one projected starter, but he was also our best slot corner. The other projected starter was Golden, who's really a special teams ace and back up safety.

Cockrell, scooped up fro the Bills who cut him was the other starter at cornerback. The other Safety was the veteran Mitchell

So playing your #1 and #2 pick early was a necessity, not some daring move by Butler.

As for Butler's defensive design, I think he likes a nickel with off man zone type of coverage. A defense that prevents bog plays, and one that can work IF you offense scores a lot of points AND you have a decent pass rush.

But when the Steelers play a top tiered QB, they rip this soft zone coverage apart. This is why I'd like to see more corners drafted with man coverage ability, and a ball hawking type of safety.

One thing we know for sure that is not mere opinion, there's nobody on this roster now ahead of them. I still believe there has been a dumbing down/simplifying of the defense, scheme-wise, so that rookies like Davis and Burns could play. Doesn't matter who was ahead or behind them on the depth chart. Those 2 were the best athletes, therefore the best options. I think my point was, looking at our pick at 30, I expect the pick to be the better supreme athlete over the better pedigree player. In other words, an edge guy like Watt(only 1 season), could very well be the pick over an edge guy like Harris(productive pass rusher in college over time), based purely on athletic ability to make football plays. I think this is the new plan for building the Steelers defense.

Six Rings
04-20-2017, 01:21 PM
One thing we know for sure that is not mere opinion, there's nobody on this roster now ahead of them. I still believe there has been a dumbing down/simplifying of the defense, scheme-wise, so that rookies like Davis and Burns could play. Doesn't matter who was ahead or behind them on the depth chart. Those 2 were the best athletes, therefore the best options. I think my point was, looking at our pick at 30, I expect the pick to be the better supreme athlete over the better pedigree player. In other words, an edge guy like Watt(only 1 season), could very well be the pick over an edge guy like Harris(productive pass rusher in college over time), based purely on athletic ability to make football plays. I think this is the new plan for building the Steelers defense.

The defense took a hit a while back when the Steelers drafted Hood and Jones in round one, combined with some veterans retiring.

Now it has been rebuilt with players like Heyward, Tuitt, Dupree, and Shazier.

Burns has the playmaking ability but needs to be more constant. Davis played better at the end of the year, but I do not see a lot of value in his coverage abilities. I agree nobody on the roster now at Corner or Safety is ahead of Davis and Burns, but we'd better address slot corner soon, and our depth at safety is rather thin.

Our biggest team weakness is pass defense. The better QB's in the NFL rip the secondary apart.

Some might argue its the coaching and schemes, with large cushions by the corners, and safeties back to prevent big plays, with the cost of making fewer splash plays.

That is one theory.

The other, which I'm more included to agree with is only Burns has true man to man skills, the rest of the DB's are zone players as they are either too slow, or too small to match up. None of them outside of Burns appears to have good ball skills.

Butler played the hand he was dealt in 2016. I hope the 2007 draft gives him an ace at DB.

Born2Steel
04-20-2017, 02:03 PM
I really like the idea of drafting Budda Baker at 30. Not necessarily my favorite, but here's why I like it. As you said, slot CB is a must upgrade position. Baker can play in the slot day 1, and has the ability to rotate at safety should that be needed or Golson proves to be what he was drafted to be somehow. There are other names you can put there, but Baker, IMO, has the best chance to be there at 30 than the other top slot CBs. Jourdan Lewis should be but with his legal issues pending, he's out of the first I would think. Maybe Desmond King fits the same mold as Baker as well.

Dwinsgames
04-20-2017, 02:19 PM
I really like the idea of drafting Budda Baker at 30. Not necessarily my favorite, but here's why I like it. As you said, slot CB is a must upgrade position. Baker can play in the slot day 1, and has the ability to rotate at safety should that be needed or Golson proves to be what he was drafted to be somehow. There are other names you can put there, but Baker, IMO, has the best chance to be there at 30 than the other top slot CBs. Jourdan Lewis should be but with his legal issues pending, he's out of the first I would think. Maybe Desmond King fits the same mold as Baker as well.

Desmond king was beaten down to the Safety roll or zone only corner by his " projected 40 time" but since running the 4.5 at his pro day I think that label should come off however some mindsets are difficult to change and he could drop because of it ..

that being said it is hard to ignore his ball skills

if we could land Desmond King I would be quite happy , Baker too would put a smile on my face but honestly doubt either is on the board at 62

the team has to decide if waiting till round 2 to address the pass rush is a worthwhile risk .

I personally feel like the drop off in talent is greater at EDGE rusher between 30 and 62 than it is in secondary personnel so I would go EGDE/DB but they may not see it that way at all /shrug its gonna be real interesting thats for sure

Born2Steel
04-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Desmond king was beaten down to the Safety roll or zone only corner by his " projected 40 time" but since running the 4.5 at his pro day I think that label should come off however some mindsets are difficult to change and he could drop because of it ..

that being said it is hard to ignore his ball skills

if we could land Desmond King I would be quite happy , Baker too would put a smile on my face but honestly doubt either is on the board at 62

the team has to decide if waiting till round 2 to address the pass rush is a worthwhile risk .

I personally feel like the drop off in talent is greater at EDGE rusher between 30 and 62 than it is in secondary personnel so I would go EGDE/DB but they may not see it that way at all /shrug its gonna be real interesting thats for sure

I don't disagree at all. Have to wait and see who's available at 30, and make the best choice at that time. It's all about the playmakers.

teegre
04-20-2017, 06:32 PM
I missed that. Where did that appear? I hope it's a smoke screen because if he's there and they pass I believe they'll regret it. I think he's going to go to multiple Pro Bowls.

It was a link posted several places on here... but, man, I don't know which thread(s).

AtlantaDan
04-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Good read on T.J. Watt

T.J. Watt Is Sick Of Being Seen As A Younger Brother

https://theringer.com/tj-watt-2017-nfl-draft-wisconsin-badgers-601b0fac30c3

One concern is multiple patellar knee injuries, which may indicate too much weight on frame, with potential for body breaking down (as has occurred with big brother)

Dwinsgames
04-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Good read on T.J. Watt

T.J. Watt Is Sick Of Being Seen As A Younger Brother

https://theringer.com/tj-watt-2017-nfl-draft-wisconsin-badgers-601b0fac30c3

One concern is multiple patellar knee injuries, which may indicate too much weight on frame, with potential for body breaking down (as has occurred with big brother)

I brought up his knees before nobody here seemed to care

DesertSteel
04-26-2017, 09:36 PM
I brought up his knees before nobody here seemed to care
Well just like you don't seem to care about Tak's shoulder. If you like a player you read things how you want. I hope the Steelers have good medicals on both of them and make a good choice tomorrow. There probably isn't anyone who's been mocked that I would greatly dislike. Out of all the projected first rounders, the one I don't want is Taco. If they pick him, I'll be mad. Can't think of anyone else TBH.

Psycho Ward 86
04-27-2017, 12:05 AM
Fun fact: TJ Watt/Vince Biegel and I share the same barber :lol: