PDA

View Full Version : Do We Need To Draft A Center ?

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-19-2017, 04:16 PM
I remember Pouncey saying he will retire when #7 retires. Would really sux to lose a top qb and top center at the same time.

steelreserve
04-19-2017, 04:45 PM
If Ben retires, we have more important things to worry about than who's playing center - namely, who's playing QB. Take care of that first.

Also, as long as we have Munchak, we can plug-and-play a stopgap center and the entire line won't collapse. Hell, we've played without Pouncey for entire seasons and had one of the best lines in the league. That takes off a lot of pressure to make a big move at a weird time.

Dwinsgames
04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
is this a joke ?

I mean many do not want to hear about drafting a QB and we got folks worried about who would play Center IF Pouncey decided to retire when Ben does ...

like Steelreserve says if Ben goes and Pouncey follows we have far bigger issues than Pouncey leaving

polamalubeast
04-19-2017, 05:14 PM
This is the last thing that we need.....

SteelerFanInStl
04-19-2017, 05:22 PM
If Ben retires, we have more important things to worry about than who's playing center - namely, who's playing QB. Take care of that first.

Also, as long as we have Munchak, we can plug-and-play a stopgap center and the entire line won't collapse. Hell, we've played without Pouncey for entire seasons and had one of the best lines in the league. That takes off a lot of pressure to make a big move at a weird time.

This

Born2Steel
04-19-2017, 05:59 PM
I remember Pouncey saying he will retire when #7 retires. Would really sux to lose a top qb and top center at the same time.

There is already a backup for every OL position. Not really a need in this draft. But......there are a couple of interesting prospects that can play G/C in this draft. If Munch does indeed get a 'toy' this draft, it could be one of those guys for sure. IF, to play along, Pouncey retires, Foster may not be that far behind him. An OL draft next season could be a fun thing. Provided we get this one right first.

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-19-2017, 07:57 PM
There is already a backup for every OL position. Not really a need in this draft. But......there are a couple of interesting prospects that can play G/C in this draft. If Munch does indeed get a 'toy' this draft, it could be one of those guys for sure. IF, to play along, Pouncey retires, Foster may not be that far behind him. An OL draft next season could be a fun thing. Provided we get this one right first. Just brought it up cause somewhat of a concern if Ben does retire after this year. Not something most think about and me included till I remembered it today. Top 5 centers aren't easily replaced either.

Psycho Ward 86
04-19-2017, 08:22 PM
with all the talk of positions that might become a need in the future you would think we dont have any actual needs right now

Six Rings
04-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Pouncey is a very good player when healthy. Unfortuantley he's had two lower body injures. While out of action, he has been replaced twice by two differnt journyeman, and the Steelers offense preformed just fine without him.

We do not need to draft a center in the early rounds. Pouncey's value to the team is not as high as some other key players.

Speaking of interior lineman Finney impressed me big time as a starter. IMO, he's as good or better than Foster is now, and might be able to play center if needed for the future.

st33lersguy
04-20-2017, 10:39 AM
Steelers do not need to worry about OL, it's pretty stacked right now

Born2Steel
04-20-2017, 12:31 PM
There are more than a few threads already that are about current team needs in this draft. This thread seems to be a totally different discussion about the OL. Not about current need, more looking at the near future drafts. I see it as a break from the constant bickering about this prospect vs the other prospect that has been going on for months now. Not required reading by any means, but here if you have a thought. Thanks for trying Jim, but looks like this forum is too entrenched in bicker mode to notice much else.

steelerdude15
04-20-2017, 08:07 PM
I don't think we need to draft a center. We have one of the best centers in the NFL and we have good, quality depth behind Pouncey. Plus, I doubt Pouncey retires when Ben does. I think he was just saying that.