PDA

View Full Version : Ward and Reed on the Rivalry, Hate, and AFC North

Craic
04-18-2017, 01:26 PM
It's a fairly old article, but one I've never seen. I figured since I haven't seen it and I'm somewhat regular on these board still, perhaps others haven't seen it, either.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ed-reed-hines-ward-ravens-steelers-rivalry-afc-north/

It really a good read and shows the "respect-but-hate" mentality of the Steelers-Raven rivalry.

Born2Steel
04-18-2017, 01:46 PM
That was a fun read. Thanks for posting. Now I'm a little homesick.

Mojouw
04-18-2017, 02:20 PM
I had not seen that until it was linked in to the Rooney piece. Great article. I think when all is said and done, fan and players on both sides will be glad that they got to be involved in such an intense rivalry.

I still will never forget many moments from the end of that run during the early 2000's. There was one AFCG where I honestly thought someone was going to die both teams were hitting so hard.

polamalubeast
04-18-2017, 02:57 PM
I respect the ravens, even if they are a big rival for us and that it is never easy against them no matter the roster or the record of the team.

It's another story for the Bengals when they go too far several times ...

pczach
04-18-2017, 04:27 PM
I had not seen that until it was linked in to the Rooney piece. Great article. I think when all is said and done, fan and players on both sides will be glad that they got to be involved in such an intense rivalry.

I still will never forget many moments from the end of that run during the early 2000's. There was one AFCG where I honestly thought someone was going to die both teams were hitting so hard.

There were many ex-NFL players and coaches that were at a few of those Steelers-Ravens playoff games and stated that they were the most physical...hardest hitting games that they had ever seen. Grown men that played the sport and have been around football their entire lives were in awe of the sheer force on the field.

I get chills just thinking about those incredible matchups.

The only rivalry that is in that ballpark from a physicality standpoint is the Raiders/Steelers playoff rivalry in the 70's.

Mojouw
04-18-2017, 05:12 PM
There were many ex-NFL players and coaches that were at a few of those Steelers-Ravens playoff games and stated that they were the most physical...hardest hitting games that they had ever seen. Grown men that played the sport and have been around football their entire lives were in awe of the sheer force on the field.

I get chills just thinking about those incredible matchups.

The only rivalry that is in that ballpark from a physicality standpoint is the Raiders/Steelers playoff rivalry in the 70's.

I totally agree with that. I honestly thought Ryan Clark killed Mcgahee once.

What is astounding is that for the most part is was fairly clean. There were certainly dirty plays on both sides but not like Cincinnati games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steel striker
04-21-2017, 08:03 AM
When it's the Ravens & Steelers you can pretty much take it to the bank that it will be a close game no matter what the records are.