PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Colbert Gets No Respect In GM Power Rankings

polamalubeast
04-18-2017, 11:34 AM
Seriously guys, stop me if I’m sounding like a total homer. But Rotoworld unveiled their yearly GM ranking and Kevin Colbert came in a lot lower than I expected. And the rationale…it’s creaky to say the least.

Patrick Daughtery ranked Colbert as the 13th best owner/GM in the NFL. To be fair, it’s the same exact slot Colbert landed in last year, though you’d think another year as one of the AFC’s top teams and a trip to the AFC Title game would give him some sort of bump.

The rationale for Colbert, though I’m sure well-intentioned, doesn’t make much sense. Essentially, the argument is the team got lucky with selecting Ben Roethilsberger and have been neglecting building around him, especially on defense.

“At some point, Colbert is going to need one of his Cameron Heyward/Jarvis Jones/Ryan Shazier/Bud Duprees to actually be a star. Colbert has maximized his Big Ben leeway. It’s time to start working on another plan.”

Uhhh….

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/kevin-colbert-gets-no-respect-gm-power-rankings/

Dwinsgames
04-18-2017, 12:01 PM
I am not the biggest Colbert fan but ..... come on man

Heyward and Shazier are already borderline stars ,are consistent contenders and consequently we consistently draft late in every round ..

he claims we are getting no "stars" and condemns for that but offers little in terms to how or why they always draft late , never spend big money in free agency ( which he claims as a negative ) yet continue to get into the playoffs and draft late

Method28
04-18-2017, 12:18 PM
I am not the biggest Colbert fan but ..... come on man

Heyward and Shazier are already borderline stars ,are consistent contenders and consequently we consistently draft late in every round ..

he claims we are getting no "stars" and condemns for that but offers little in terms to how or why they always draft late , never spend big money in free agency ( which he claims as a negative ) yet continue to get into the playoffs and draft late
I believe hes implying the reason is we have Ben. Which is kinda funny in itself. I bet when it comes time for his qb rankings he leaves Ben out of his top 5 lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Dwinsgames
04-18-2017, 12:41 PM
I believe hes implying the reason is we have Ben. Which is kinda funny in itself. I bet when it comes time for his qb rankings he leaves Ben out of his top 5 lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

YET he has the hoodie at the top ... I might ask who are his stars other than a 6th round draft pick that came 17 years ago ...

Six Rings
04-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Seriously guys, stop me if I’m sounding like a total homer. But Rotoworld unveiled their yearly GM ranking and Kevin Colbert came in a lot lower than I expected. And the rationale…it’s creaky to say the least.

Patrick Daughtery ranked Colbert as the 13th best owner/GM in the NFL. To be fair, it’s the same exact slot Colbert landed in last year, though you’d think another year as one of the AFC’s top teams and a trip to the AFC Title game would give him some sort of bump.

The rationale for Colbert, though I’m sure well-intentioned, doesn’t make much sense. Essentially, the argument is the team got lucky with selecting Ben Roethilsberger and have been neglecting building around him, especially on defense.

“At some point, Colbert is going to need one of his Cameron Heyward/Jarvis Jones/Ryan Shazier/Bud Duprees to actually be a star. Colbert has maximized his Big Ben leeway. It’s time to start working on another plan.”

Uhhh….

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/kevin-colbert-gets-no-respect-gm-power-rankings/

Here would be my grades for Colbert.

Franchise Loyalty to the Rooney's and coaching staff A

Drafting: B.

Free agency and cap management C.

This year we had money to spend. We were close to a super bowl appearance, and Ben thought about retiring. Why not spend the $$$ now and go for another ring? We continue to be a loser every year in free agency.

Being duped by Worilds to took tag money, then retired, not matching for sanders who was a goner next year and getting a 3rd round pick for it, and paying dead money for older Veterans on the cap like Woodley are reasons why I give him a " C " for free agency and cap management.

fansince'76
04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Rotoworld? LOL

The author of the list looks like a high school kid:

http://www.rotoworld.com/img/authors/233.jpg

No, not really. Just more evidence that Rotoworld articles in general are largely slapped together by fantasy football nerds with little-to-no thought involved.

polamalubeast
04-18-2017, 03:24 PM
I can't believe that Mike Brown is higher than Colbert...Please...Same thing with Rick Smith of the texans

Ted Thompson is also too high, the packers have often been a one man team in recent years, their defense is always bad in the playoffs(or even in the regular season....The packers has not been in the top 10 in yards or points on defense since 2011) but Thompson is too stubborn since he keeps Dom Capers, although the defense has given on average 37 points per Games in the loss of the packers since 2009.

st33lersguy
04-18-2017, 03:37 PM
I've seen cats and dogs that could make a better list than this, most cats and dogs could make a better list than this. This guy really does not know much of anything about football

86WARD
04-18-2017, 04:22 PM
Clearly someone who hasn't done their research. I don't love Colbert but he's a better GM than Belichick. Belichick is pretty awful at drafting players, great at signing them but horrible at drafting them. If it wasn't for his coaching record, he wouldn't be great at signing free agents either.

polamalubeast
04-18-2017, 04:30 PM
Clearly someone who hasn't done their research. I don't love Colbert but he's a better GM than Belichick. Belichick is pretty awful at drafting players, great at signing them but horrible at drafting them. If it wasn't for his coaching record, he wouldn't be great at signing free agents either.

I don't agree that Belichick is awful.

Maybe not the best but if you look at their roster, the Pats have virtually no weakness in their team on paper except maybe their o-line.

Six Rings
04-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Belichick, as much as I hate to admit it is an excellent coach. He can take another teams trash, and make that player conform to his system.

86WARD
04-18-2017, 06:55 PM
I don't agree that Belichick is awful.

Maybe not the best but if you look at their roster, the Pats have virtually no weakness in their team on paper except maybe their o-line.

He's not good at drafting is what I am saying. He's an excellent coach and one if not the best of all time. But as a GM, he's not special. He's a had many more failures than successes and when you look at his roster, how many of his players are actually "homegrown" compared to what Colbert has done? Every season we hear about the Patriots running out and signing free agents. Most of their WRs are free agent signings. Most of their RBs are free agent signings. I haven't gone through the whole rosters, but right there is probably more players than Pittsburgh has on their whole roster.

st33lersguy
04-18-2017, 06:55 PM
The idea that Colbert doesn't draft defensive talent is an absolute joke. Shazier went to the pro bowl and is one of the best in the league at his position. Heyward is a great player and is underrated. Also no mention of Tuitt who has done well himself. And remembering that Colbert has been on this team since 2000, no mention of all the pro bowl defensive players drafted in the 2000s either. And "HE DONT MAKE NO SPLASH IN FREE AGUNCY", so I guess it's better to be loke the 2000s era Redskins, spend a bunch of money on other teams' players then proceed to do nothing during the regular season. Then he says "spread out series of brilliant offensive picks", by spread out do you mean drafting 4 all-pros in a span of 4 years including 2 in 2010 (Pouncey, AB, DeCastro, Bell). I could cover what this guy knows about football with a penny

teegre
04-18-2017, 07:28 PM
Clearly someone who hasn't done their research. I don't love Colbert but he's a better GM than Belichick. Belichick is pretty awful at drafting players, great at signing them but horrible at drafting them.

100% this.

- - - Updated - - -

He's not good at drafting is what I am saying. He's an excellent coach and one if not the best of all time. But as a GM, he's not special. He's a had many more failures than successes and when you look at his roster, how many of his players are actually "homegrown" compared to what Colbert has done? Every season we hear about the Patriots running out and signing free agents. Most of their WRs are free agent signings. Most of their RBs are free agent signings. I haven't gone through the whole rosters, but right there is probably more players than Pittsburgh has on their whole roster.

Yep.

Great coach. Great at X's & O's. Great at taking an unknown free agent and making him a star. But... not very good at drafting.

- - - Updated - - -

Rotoworld? LOL

The author of the list looks like a high school kid:

http://www.rotoworld.com/img/authors/233.jpg

No, not really. Just more evidence that Rotoworld articles in general are largely slapped together by fantasy football nerds with little-to-no thought involved.

On Twitter, he was being ripped earlier today for talking about Jarvis Jones upcoming season with the Steelers.

Maybe he meant Steelers West... :huh:

Craic
04-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Here would be my grades for Colbert.

Being duped by Worilds to took tag money, then retired, not matching for sanders who was a goner next year and getting a 3rd round pick for it, and paying dead money for older Veterans on the cap like Woodley are reasons why I give him a " C " for free agency and cap management.
Worilds decision to retire when he did pretty much would catch any GM by surprise. I have no idea how we can blame him for that. For Sanders . . . maybe. Concerning cap management, that had nothing to do with Colbert. It was a decision by the Rooneys themselves to extend the SB window by handing out extensions to aging veterans. They did so knowing it would put them in cap trouble, but decided to gamble on winning another SB, and it almost paid off in 2010.

teegre
04-18-2017, 08:30 PM
It was a decision by the Rooneys themselves to extend the SB window by handing out extensions to aging veterans. They did so knowing it would put them in cap trouble, but decided to gamble on winning another SB, and it almost paid off in 2010.

Bingo!!!

Mojouw
04-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Worilds decision to retire when he did pretty much would catch any GM by surprise. I have no idea how we can blame him for that. For Sanders . . . maybe. Concerning cap management, that had nothing to do with Colbert. It was a decision by the Rooneys themselves to extend the SB window by handing out extensions to aging veterans. They did so knowing it would put them in cap trouble, but decided to gamble on winning another SB, and it almost paid off in 2010.

With all the stories about Dan lately you can see how in his mind it wasn't even a decision. Cap out and give his guys one last chance to make a run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk