PDA

View Full Version : We Really Need Bryant Back!

JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue
04-16-2017, 10:49 PM
All for drafting a wr in the draft cause we don't know if MB changed and gets it. That said MB reminds me of Randy Moss with his freakish talent. When he gets the ball, he looks like a praying mantis moving through smaller and slower insects.

GBMelBlount
04-17-2017, 06:19 AM
...and like a praying mantis, he may only end up playing once.

https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2015/12-17/NSkbFLDZtL-10.png

Count Steeler
04-17-2017, 09:12 AM
Or lets hope Sammy has passed beyond the injury bug and he has learned to play consistently like he did for the first 5 games of last season. The potential is there, hope it comes to fruition.

Born2Steel
04-17-2017, 09:32 AM
I hope Mike Williams drops to 30 and we draft the best WR in this class. Then 'IF' Coates and Bryant get back to form, we have the weapons to score on every possession.

st33lersguy
04-17-2017, 09:49 AM
We don't absolutely NEED him back. The Steelers made the AFC Championship game without him and if improvements from 2nd and 3rd year defenders make the entire defense better, it will make it easier to overcome his absence. It's just that he helps the team and makes them better.

st33lersguy
04-17-2017, 09:55 AM
Also WR, is not that big of the need. Pass rush depth, CB depth, a better free safety than Mike Mitchell, Ben's replacement are all bigger needs than another WR

tube517
04-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Well, I won't get my hopes up.

Do I want him back? Of course.

Am I scared he'll F up again? Of course.

Do I trust this dill hole commissioner w/a timely reinstatement? Hell no.

Born2Steel
04-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Also WR, is not that big of the need. Pass rush depth, CB depth, a better free safety than Mike Mitchell, Ben's replacement are all bigger needs than another WR

After watching us get kept out of the EZ against the Chiefs, and Brown getting taken away, after Bell went out, in the AFCCG, I have to disagree with the NEED part. Somebody on this team has to be reliable besides Bell and Brown. And by reliable, I'm not just talking about the constant drops, I also mean able to play. Whether injured, suspended, old, whatever, we need another playmaker on this offense. There are some very talented players in this draft and one of them, at least, needs to become a Steeler.

Psycho Ward 86
04-17-2017, 11:00 AM
We don't absolutely NEED him back. The Steelers made the AFC Championship game without him and if improvements from 2nd and 3rd year defenders make the entire defense better, it will make it easier to overcome his absence. It's just that he helps the team and makes them better.

this team averages an entire touchdown more in PPG with Bryant in the lineup. Yeah, we need him

Born2Steel
04-17-2017, 11:10 AM
this team averages an entire touchdown more in PPG with Bryant in the lineup. Yeah, we need him

Or...somebody like him that can actually be on the field.

st33lersguy
04-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Which is why I said he helps the team and makes it better. There is a difference between he helps the team and we absolutely need him on the field to win the division/make the playoffs/make any noise this season.

Psycho Ward 86
04-17-2017, 11:50 AM
Which is why I said he helps the team and makes it better. There is a difference between he helps the team and we absolutely need him on the field to win the division/make the playoffs/make any noise this season.

you didnt say any of those things before in this thread. every steeler fan has seen the statistic about Bryant giving us an extra TD in average PPG when he plays. I think people severely overlook how massive that point differential is. We averaged 24.9 PPG last season and ranked 11th in the league. The "Bryant Effect" would have us at 31.9 PPG and ranking behind only the Falcons in PPG (Thats the 8th highest scoring offense of all time by the way). We would also be tied for the 13th highest scoring offense of all time. Without the "Bryant Effect," we're not even in the top 100. Yeah, I'd say helps the team is kind of an understatement.

st33lersguy
04-17-2017, 02:01 PM
you didnt say any of those things before in this thread. every steeler fan has seen the statistic about Bryant giving us an extra TD in average PPG when he plays. I think people severely overlook how massive that point differential is. We averaged 24.9 PPG last season and ranked 11th in the league. The "Bryant Effect" would have us at 31.9 PPG and ranking behind only the Falcons in PPG (Thats the 8th highest scoring offense of all time by the way). We would also be tied for the 13th highest scoring offense of all time. Without the "Bryant Effect," we're not even in the top 100. Yeah, I'd say helps the team is kind of an understatement.

So applying the Bryant effect to the AFC Championship game the Steelers lose to the Pats 36-24 instead of 36-17 and we are all still talking about the terrible defensive performance and bitching about Tomlin/Butler using zone

Important to the offense yes, the fate of the season hinging on his availability, no

86WARD
04-17-2017, 02:11 PM
So applying the Bryant effect to the AFC Championship game the Steelers lose to the Pats 36-24 instead of 36-17 and we are all still talking about the terrible defensive performance and bitching about Tomlin/Butler using zone

Important to the offense yes, the fate of the season hinging on his availability, no

Not if he didn't score in the game against the Chiefs. Then he's due for 2 TDs and the Steelers lose 36-31...

If Bryant doesn't come back and Coates is Coates 2016, there's big issues at that spot. What if Brown were to get injured? Then you are rolling with Coates, Rogers and Ayers??? Lol. That's a problem.

BurghBoy412
04-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Not if he didn't score in the game against the Chiefs. Then he's due for 2 TDs and the Steelers lose 36-31...

If Bryant doesn't come back and Coates is Coates 2016, there's big issues at that spot. What if Brown were to get injured? Then you are rolling with Coates, Rogers and Ayers??? Lol. That's a problem.
Looking at it that way. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd on WR isn't a bad idea.

Born2Steel
04-17-2017, 07:42 PM

I'm thinking more like Coates, Rogers, and DHB. Ayers/Hamilton if we go 4 wide. I'm not feeling confident in that WR corps. I like Golladay, and Shelton, both could still be there at our 5th round pick.

Psycho Ward 86
04-17-2017, 09:47 PM

there are some things that seem out of focus to me here:

1) If Bryant was on the field for 2016, we would most certainly have had a higher seeding and record. We could have easily been the top seed. The discussion could arguably end right there.

2) Having one of our best offensive players on the field against the patriots most certainly takes a ton of pressure off our team, not just in terms of scoring points, but stratagem and dictating TOP. Could easily create a large point swing. See Point 1.

3) We average an additional touchdown in PPG with Martavis, not 1 individual game. That would put our PPG significantly over the Patriots. See Point 1 again.

4) This notion that Bryant would exist only in the vaccuum of the AFCCG doesnt make sense. Apply it across the entire season and we definitely win some games we ended up losing and that has a huge impact on the WL column and seedings. As per Point 1

st33lersguy
04-18-2017, 12:04 AM
there are some things that seem out of focus to me here:

1) If Bryant was on the field for 2016, we would most certainly have had a higher seeding and record. We could have easily been the top seed. The discussion could arguably end right there.

2) Having one of our best offensive players on the field against the patriots most certainly takes a ton of pressure off our team, not just in terms of scoring points, but stratagem and dictating TOP. Could easily create a large point swing. See Point 1.

3) We average an additional touchdown in PPG with Martavis, not 1 individual game. That would put our PPG significantly over the Patriots. See Point 1 again.

4) This notion that Bryant would exist only in the vaccuum of the AFCCG doesnt make sense. Apply it across the entire season and we definitely win some games we ended up losing and that has a huge impact on the WL column and seedings. As per Point 1

Philly, a loss by 31 points is probably still a loss even with Bryant. No way does one player turn that crapfest into a win

Miami, a 15 point loss with Ben hampered by injuries, still a loss.

New England, 11 point loss, Landry Jones would not put up 28 points up on New England even with Bryant

Baltimore, 7 point loss, but Ben was still hampered by the injury, and has never put up more than 20 points as a starter in Baltimore so this is still a loss.

If Dallas is turned to a win that puts them at 12-4. Yes they get a week off in the wildcard game, but after they play Kansas City at home, they still have to go to New England, where with a bad game plan and 2 rookies in the secondary they likely still get roasted on defense. Also given that Le'Veon would get groin surgery in March, and it's very plausible his injury was made worse against New England, he still likely ends up sitting out much of the game (Keep in mind in playoff games where Bell sits out due to injury, the team averages exactly 17 points per game). Add the offenses inability to top 20 points in the playoffs on the road the last couple years, you're still looking at a loss

smokin3000gt
04-18-2017, 02:18 AM
I'd like to have him back but I don't think he has the maturity to really understand what he's about to squander away and will therefore squander it away.

DesertSteel
04-18-2017, 08:17 AM
He's missed 23 games because of WEED! Sounds like a guy we can count on.

pczach
04-18-2017, 03:50 PM
He's missed 23 games because of WEED! Sounds like a guy we can count on.

Well....when you put it that way it makes perfect sense!

Stop being the voice of reason!

:grin:

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2017, 05:55 PM
So essentially what we can conclude out of this thread so far is:

1) A player who adds an entire TD to our PPG is pretty helpful, but not to a point where he's a "need," he's still just a "want"

2) It's essentially a consensus on planet earth that cornerback and outside linebacker is a need.

3) This magical rookie cornerback and/or outside linebacker is somehow more favorable to our PPG differential. He is a need after all.

4) Game changing players and their ability to influence point swings are apparently not a thing

5) Steeler fans ability to talk down the impact of players that have gotten in trouble/caused drama/left the team for another is unmatchable

Man. Steeler fans remind me of a salty ex-girlfriend that talks shit about the guy that they want back really bad. These threads will be fun to revisit if/when Martavis comes back and actually manages to play a full season. Im gonna keep my popcorn ready and enjoy the fireworks in the meantime

DesertSteel
04-18-2017, 06:25 PM
5) Steeler fans ability to talk down the impact of players that have gotten in trouble/caused drama/left the team for another is unmatchable

Bryant has missed 23 games because of weed. WEED. Does that sound like a guy that can be counted on?

Steeler fans remind me of a salty ex-girlfriend that talks shit about the guy that they want back really bad.
All the pining reminds me of the ex-girlfriend that was drop-dead gorgeous but cheated on you constantly. But you want her back because she was so hot.

Born2Steel
04-18-2017, 06:25 PM
So essentially what we can conclude out of this thread so far is:

1) A player who adds an entire TD to our PPG is pretty helpful, but not to a point where he's a "need," he's still just a "want"

2) It's essentially a consensus on planet earth that cornerback and outside linebacker is a need.

3) This magical rookie cornerback and/or outside linebacker is somehow more favorable to our PPG differential. He is a need after all.

4) Game changing players and their ability to influence point swings are apparently not a thing

Man. Steeler fans remind me of a salty ex-girlfriend that talks shit about the guy that they want back really bad. These threads will be fun to revisit if/when Martavis comes back and actually manages to play a full season. Im gonna keep my popcorn ready and enjoy the fireworks in the meantime

1) That player IS a need for this offense. Bryant WAS that guy, yet to be determined IF he will be again. That's why the Steelers are looking to draft ANOTHER WR this draft.

2) OLB IS A NEED. Slot CB IS A NEED. That is a fact, not sure 'consensus on planet earth' or not. Haven't asked EVERYONE. On this forum, YES, pretty much a consensus.

3) I can't speak to 'more favorable', that could change. We need to score more points on offense, we also need to get more consistent pressure on the opposing QB. Simultaneous need?

4) Not sure about point #4, maybe just a rant on your part.

5) Still ranting i think. Not sure how this plays into needing Bryant back or not.

PW86, I honestly think every fan on this forum would welcome back Bryant with open arms, IF he had not let us down twice already. It's an issue of trust at this point. Come on home Marty, please. Go do that voodoo that you do. He has to be available though or what's the point of him being on the team? Insurance is needed, therefore trepidation should be understood and expected.

86WARD
04-18-2017, 06:58 PM
I don't care that he had issues. I welcome him back with open arms!

Born2Steel
04-18-2017, 07:01 PM

Exactly. Although I do want a WR in this draft. Somebody 6'2" or taller with speed and hands. Insurance against the chance that Bryant fails another test.

Psycho Ward 86
04-18-2017, 07:12 PM
[/COLOR]
All the pining reminds me of the ex-girlfriend that was drop-dead gorgeous but cheated on you constantly. But you want her back because she was so hot.

aint this the truth :lol:

Shoes
04-18-2017, 07:16 PM

I do too, but for his family's sake first. Hopefully he has had time to think about it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSP64hvjDT-/?hl=en