PDA

View Full Version : Report: Martavis Bryant Told He Needs Relapse Prevention Plan Before Reinstatement

Shoes
04-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Pardon me but someone needs to kick Goodell in the nuts.

I know many of you have been asking about Martavis Bryant’s trip to the Big Apple on Thursday. Sporting News’ Alex Marvez provides us (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/martavis-bryant-news-contract-nfl-suspension-drugs-reinstatement-steelers/lhvv29p783vo1hireid8f79r3?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter) with our first update.
According to his report, Bryant did not meet with Roger Goodell but the NFL’s Management Council. The council had some stipulations for Bryant before being considered for reinstatement.
“Among the conditions for being cleared to play again, Bryant was told to assemble a plan detailing safeguards that would help him prevent a relapse upon returning to Pittsburgh, the source said.”

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/04/report-martavis-bryant-told-needs-relapse-prevention-plan-reinstatement/

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Logical and completely understandable. The league has been burned too many times. I like how they are tightening things up. They are making things a lot more "real world" for these players. IMO it should be that way. Second chances aren't a reality for the rest of the population. Why should they be for a football player? What do they really contribute to society anyway? They play a game. Yes, a game that citizens take way way too seriously. Living a form of vicarious glory through another person. It's a really strange and intriguing subject.

polamalubeast
04-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Logical and completely understandable. The league has been burned too many times. I like how they are tightening things up. They are making things a lot more "real world" for these players. IMO it should be that way. Second chances aren't a reality for the rest of the population. Why should they be for a football player? What do they really contribute to society anyway? They play a game. Yes, a game that citizens take way way too seriously. Living a form of vicarious glory through another person. It's a really strange and intriguing subject.

Bryant has been suspended for one year.

I think Bryant has been punished enough.

st33lersguy
04-15-2017, 02:03 PM
And they wait 2 weeks before the draft to tell him? This should have been told to him in February.

Dwinsgames
04-15-2017, 02:11 PM
And they wait 2 weeks before the draft to tell him? This should have been told to him in February.

another bullshit Goodell stunt ...

bottom line he should have been reinstated the first day of the new league year

he was suspended 1 year not more ....

Edman
04-15-2017, 02:14 PM
I hate Goodell, but he's not wrong here.

Bryant was repeatedly told not to break the rules, and he did it anyway. Now he has to earn it back.

He put himself in this position, not the NFL.

Second chances aren't a reality for the rest of the population. Why should they be for a football player?

Second chances are a reality, but there also has to be an effort on part of the person who wants it.

tube517
04-15-2017, 02:14 PM
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

Page 30

I guess he didn't know until the meeting what they want him to do next.

st33lersguy
04-15-2017, 02:19 PM
I am afraid that the Steelers are going to waste a pick on a WR in the first 3 round, a pick better served on a defensive playmaker

Shoes
04-15-2017, 02:26 PM

I'll be monitoring your reaction when Colbert doesn't pick any of players from your mocks. :chuckle:

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 02:39 PM
I'll be monitoring your reaction when Colbert doesn't pick any of players from your mocks. :chuckle:
It would be wise of him to avoid all players that I've mocked. I have no idea what I'm talking about. haha Besides gambling does require a lil bit of seriousness. Haha

Dwinsgames
04-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Goodell changing the rules as he goes along once again
(2016)
APPENDIX B
Procedures for Reinstatement
Following Stage Three Banishment
Any Player who has been banished
under Stage Three may apply formally in writing for
reinstatement no sooner than 60 days before the one
year anniversary date of the letter so
banishing him.
The application should include all pertinent information about the
Player’s
:
(a)Treatment;

(b)Abstinence from Substances of
Abuse throughout the entire period of his banishment
;
(c)Involvement with any Substances of
Abuse related incidents; and

(d) Arrests and/or convictions for any criminal activity, including
Substances of Abuse related offenses Set forth below are the procedures to be used when an application is received by the Commissioner.

1.Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the Player will be interviewed by the
Medical Director and the Medical Advisor
,after which a recommendation will be made to the Commissioner with regard to the
Player’s request for reinstatement.

2.The Player will execute appropriate medical release forms that will enable the
Commissioner’s staff and NFLPA Executive Director’s staff to review the Player’s
substance abuse history, including but not limited to attendance at counseling sessions
(individual, group and family); attendance at 12 step and other self help group
meetings; periodic progress reports; and all diagnostic findings and treatment
recommendations.

3.The Player will submit to urine
testing by an NFL representative at a frequency
determined by the Medical Advisor.

4.The Player will agree in a meeting with the Commissioner or his representative(s) to
comply with the conditions imposed by the Commissioner for his reinstatement to the
status of an active Player.

5.All individuals involved in the process will take steps to enable the Commissioner to
render a decision within 60 days of the receipt of the application.

Born2Steel
04-15-2017, 02:56 PM
I guess part 4 is where we're stuck currently?

fansince'76
04-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Actually, the terms of his reinstatement should have been made clear to him the minute he was suspended.

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 03:00 PM
I hate Goodell, but he's not wrong here.

Bryant was repeatedly told not to break the rules, and he did it anyway. Now he has to earn it back.

He put himself in this position, not the NFL.

Second chances are a reality, but there also has to be an effort on part of the person who wants it.
I could've worded that better. Second chances aren't always given. I agree it's on the person that made the mistake to earn another chance.

I don't think this in this case it's just about Bryant. Think about all the bags that have been given a second chance by Roger and then went out and did the same thing. I think Bryant is kinda paying for other guys mistakes here. Right or wrong there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Like Coach Tomlin said he's not part of the plan right now. When you screw up opportunity passes you bye. That is life.

If he is reinstated I hope he can treat his opportunity to play football for a living more like a gift. Instead of treating it wrecklessly and taking it for granted. It would be a shame to see him end up like the countless others who were gifted beyond belief, but couldn't get their shit together. I'm cheering for the guy to get a second chance but I also refuse to buy into giving him a second chance because he's an incredible talent. Just because I want my team to have another weapon. He's gotta prove himself at this point. Again and again and again...

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Does anybody know the when his 60 days is up?

Dwinsgames
04-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Does anybody know the when his 60 days is up?

its been up for almost 2 months ...

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Good. I think it was a good decision for the league and a good decision for Bryant. A plan not to relapse? Whoda thunk it? Time for Bryant to get his act together before he ends up like that Cleveland receiver.

Dwinsgames
04-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Good. I think it was a good decision for the league and a good decision for Bryant. A plan not to relapse? Whoda thunk it? Time for Bryant to get his act together before he ends up like that Cleveland receiver.

while I agree with the plan , I do not agree with how it was not made clear from the beginning and not within the standard rules that Bryant could go look at and say ok check , check , check ,check , check ... ok time to apply for reinstatement

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 04:27 PM
The truth is that we don't know what stupid stuff came out of Bryant's mouth when he was in the meeting. The guy is fast and has pretty good hands but he's not that bright.

Butch
04-15-2017, 04:55 PM
The truth is that we don't know what stupid stuff came out of Bryant's mouth when he was in the meeting. The guy is fast and has pretty good hands but he's not that bright.
No we don't know what came out of his mouth, but at the same time we do know that this should have been addressed much sooner and that Go-To-Hell purposely drug his feet and then came up with this bull snot committee to render a decision that has never been applied before. I don't have a problem with them telling him what they told him, but the fact that it comes 2 weeks before the draft reeks of trying to screw both Bryant and the Steelers.

I personally can't stand Go-To-Hell and this is just another case of how this asshole is trying to screw the Steelers and their players at every opportunity.

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 05:02 PM
No we don't know what came out of his mouth, but at the same time we do know that this should have been addressed much sooner and that Go-To-Hell purposely drug his feet and then came up with this bull snot committee to render a decision that has never been applied before. I don't have a problem with them telling him what they told him, but the fact that it comes 2 weeks before the draft reeks of trying to screw both Bryant and the Steelers.

I personally can't stand Go-To-Hell and this is just another case of how this asshole is trying to screw the Steelers and their players at every opportunity.
I guess that's the other side of the coin. Personally, I don't feel the empathy for Bryant. He's a two-time offender who is one offense away from being out of the league. Whether asked ahead of time or not, he should have a plan to prevent relapse. The harder Goodell is on him perhaps the more he'll think about rolling that next doob.

st33lersguy
04-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Agreed. No legitimate reason for Commissioner Asshat to intentionally drag his feet on this and wait until 2 weeks before the draft to tell him "Come up with a relapse prevention plan or no reinstatement". By the way, I like how Asshat didn't give any specifics on what the plan should entail which opens him up to arbitrarily reject any legitimate relapse prevention plan.

tube517
04-15-2017, 05:25 PM
I guess part 4 is where we're stuck currently?

That's what I'm thinking.

Dwinsgames
04-15-2017, 05:27 PM
I guess that's the other side of the coin. Personally, I don't feel the empathy for Bryant. He's a two-time offender who is one offense away from being out of the league. Whether asked ahead of time or not, he should have a plan to prevent relapse. The harder Goodell is on him perhaps the more he'll think about rolling that next doob.

but it should not be a make it up as you go along situation , and that is exactly what this seems to be since it is not in the NFLPA agreement

all should have to follow the SAME pre agreed upon terms between league and union

Mojouw
04-15-2017, 05:32 PM
but it should not be a make it up as you go along situation , and that is exactly what this seems to be since it is not in the NFLPA agreement

all should have to follow the SAME pre agreed upon terms between league and union

And that is why the players and the union are basically the worst negotiators of all time. To get the last CBA done they traded a minor increase in the overall % of team profits that went into salary and in return they got a rookie wage scale (so most guys have their earnings capped for the majority of their careers, but yeah, rookies won't make more than vets!), a salary floor that doesn't actually help players, and ZERO say in how the league conducts business and player conduct decisions.

It is comical how little the NFLPA was able to get.

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2017, 05:43 PM
More bullshit from the NFL and Goodell. If that's part of the terms for reinstatement, then tell the players ahead of time instead of just dragging it out.

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Who knows that it wasn't a RESPONSE to how Bryant presented himself??? I'm not ready to make a positive assumption based on his past character issues, including Ben calling him out as a liar.

Hawkman
04-15-2017, 05:52 PM

THIS!! Completely!!

SteelerFanInStl
04-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Who knows that it wasn't a RESPONSE to how Bryant presented himself??? I'm not ready to make a positive assumption based on his past character issues, including Ben calling him out as a liar.

It's not listed in the procedures for reinstatement posted by Secondaryconcerns above. That tells me that yes, once again the NFL and Goodell are making it up as they go along and not handling each case the same as required by the CBA.

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 06:03 PM
It's not listed in the procedures for reinstatement posted by Secondaryconcerns above. That tells me that yes, once again the NFL and Goodell are making it up as they go along and not handling each case the same as required by the CBA.It's obviously in the rules that he can make up the rules. As noted above by Mojouw, the players union signed off on all this.

I'm for anything that will help Bryant walk the straight and narrow. That's why I refuse to see this as a negative. I have no confidence that this guy now gets it. He needs extreme structure and boundaries IMO.

fansince'76
04-15-2017, 08:04 PM
It's obviously in the rules that he can make up the rules. As noted above by Mojouw, the players union signed off on all this.

The Steelers didn't, which, IMO, is the reason for this kind of treatment from Goodell. Yes, I do think he's a vindictive asshat who keeps score.

st33lersguy
04-15-2017, 08:14 PM
The Steelers didn't, which, IMO, is the reason for this kind of treatment from Goodell. Yes, I do think he's a vindictive asshat who keeps score.

That and he is still butthurt over the way Harrison called him out which has led to some personal resentment for the entire team

Born2Steel
04-15-2017, 08:29 PM
I don't think it's ONLY about being a jerk. Yes Roger is being a jerk, but the agreement gives him the right to personalize/customize each player's reinstatement requirements.

4.The Player will agree in a meeting with the Commissioner or his representative(s) to
comply with the conditions imposed by the Commissioner for his reinstatement to the

This says to me he could ask Bryant for all kinds of things. Asking for a personal PLAN from Bryant so this doesn't happen a third time seems fair.

Dwinsgames
04-15-2017, 08:35 PM
I don't think it's ONLY about being a jerk. Yes Roger is being a jerk, but the agreement gives him the right to personalize/customize each player's reinstatement requirements.

This says to me he could ask Bryant for all kinds of things. Asking for a personal PLAN from Bryant so this doesn't happen a third time seems fair.

but again do it at the onset in written form so a year later you can be sure you have checked all the boxes before filing reinstatement papers

Butch
04-15-2017, 08:39 PM
It's obviously in the rules that he can make up the rules. As noted above by Mojouw, the players union signed off on all this.

I'm for anything that will help Bryant walk the straight and narrow. That's why I refuse to see this as a negative. I have no confidence that this guy now gets it. He needs extreme structure and boundaries IMO.

While I completely agree that if this is something that helps Bryant I am all for it, but the point you seem to be missing is that Go-To-Hell is purposely trying to screw with the Steelers by dragging his feet on this. This is simply a way for Go-To-Hell to screw with our draft plans nothing more. As Fansince'76 stated he is a vindictive asshat. The only reason this has anything to do Bryant what-so-ever is because he is a Steeler.

Shoes
04-15-2017, 08:42 PM
While I completely agree that if this is something that helps Bryant I am all for it, but the point you seem to be missing is that Go-To-Hell is purposely trying to screw with the Steelers by dragging his feet on this. This is simply a way for Go-To-Hell to screw with our draft plans nothing more. As Fansince'76 stated he is a vindictive asshat. The only reason this has anything to do Bryant what-so-ever is because he is a Steeler.

Which is why someone needs to kick him in the nuts!

st33lersguy
04-15-2017, 08:45 PM

In other words, the agreement gives Commissioner Asshat the power to be a jerk

awe1028
04-15-2017, 08:45 PM
This outcome for Bryant is of very little importance to the Steelers' success this season. The Steelers have more than enough offense/talent to hold their own until Bryant returns. We need only look at last season for confirmation of this. Bryant was out for the entire season yet Pittsburgh made it the AFCCG only losing to the eventual Super Bowl champion, NE Patriots.

The Steelers are actually well ahead of where their were last year as the likelihood Bryant will miss this entire 2017 season is remote. Bryant did not fail a test. The league simply stipulated that he create a support program to decrease the chance of a relapse. This is a perfectly reasonable request. I am sure Bryant and his agents/adivisors can put together such a program to the league's satisfaction.

My concern is that the Steelers will panic and neglect the defense in the first and second rounds in order to fix this "problem". IMHO the first two rounds should be used to draft BPA on the defensive end (preferably OLB and CB). If they then use ONE of the third pick on offense that is fine, although, I would prefer they draft a TE instead of a WR.

steelreserve
04-15-2017, 08:46 PM
What I don't get is why all of a sudden, for this one case, they are now concerned with a "relapse prevention plan."

Dozens of other guys have been through this, and the procedure is that once your time is up, you're un-suspended unless you fucked up again in the meantime (which plenty of these guys do). Then your next hurdle is finding a team willing to give you a chance, since you usually lost your job or you're in very hot water with your own team. The relapse prevention program is that if you fuck up one more time, your career is over. That's what's been done for literally every player ever to go through the substance abuse program, to the best of my knowledge.

So why is Goodell suddenly concerned about relapses? The league will look bad because of Bryant? No, the league already looks as bad as it's going to look from that; the only one who will look bad if Bryant relapses is Bryant.

So, basically just a big load of bullshit passing for the real logic behind the decision "I don't like you, and/or I don't like your team."

Butch
04-15-2017, 08:46 PM

It's not about what his committee (not Go-To-Hell himself) asked for it's the timing of everything. 2 weeks before the draft is a way to send a message to the Steelers organization that he can and will continue to screw with us on a regular basis. He is more concerned with screwing with Bryant because he is a Steeler nothing more and nothing less.

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 09:16 PM
This outcome for Bryant is of very little importance to the Steelers' success this season. The Steelers have more than enough offense/talent to hold their own until Bryant returns. We need only look at last season for confirmation of this. Bryant was out for the entire season yet Pittsburgh made it the AFCCG only losing to the eventual Super Bowl champion, NE Patriots.

The Steelers are actually well ahead of where their were last year as the likelihood Bryant will miss this entire 2017 season is remote. Bryant did not fail a test. The league simply stipulated that he create a support program to decrease the chance of a relapse. This is a perfectly reasonable request. I am sure Bryant and his agents/adivisors can put together such a program to the league's satisfaction.

My concern is that the Steelers will panic and neglect the defense in the first and second rounds in order to fix this "problem". IMHO the first two rounds should be used to draft BPA on the defensive end (preferably OLB and CB). If they then use ONE of the third pick on offense that is fine, although, I would prefer they draft a TE instead of a WR.
I would argue that backup RB is our most pressing Offensive need.

Hawkman
04-15-2017, 09:21 PM
I also call BS on the league office, what do they really care......if he relapses and tests positive he's out of football. After that the NFL will wash their hands of him. Why not have him get a "relapse plan" six months ago.

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 09:22 PM
This whole line about Goodell being "out" to get the Steelers is a bad take. Do you really think he's out to get one of his largest cash cow teams? Roger is about the $$ money plain and simple. I don't think it's about him go after the Steelers. I think it's more about Bryant being a waste of his time. The guy acted a fool (Bryant). Fools don't eat!!! So quit boo-hooing. Y'all sound like a bunch of cry babies!

Hawkman
04-15-2017, 09:43 PM
I think it's more about Bryant being a waste of his time.

That actually makes no sense to me. If it's such a waste of his time, why bother coming up with this "relapse plan". Why not just reinstate him or throw him out of the league?

awe1028
04-15-2017, 10:29 PM
I would argue that backup RB is our most pressing Offensive need.

I would not really argue with you. I would be satisfied with RB, especially if it is Joe Mixon. However, concussions are a tricky business - they "feed" on themselves. That is the more concussions you have the easier and easier it is to get another. As we know Ladarius Green has had quite a few making the likelihood of having one this season fairly high.

- - - Updated - - -

Mojouw
04-15-2017, 10:39 PM
I also call BS on the league office, what do they really care......if he relapses and tests positive he's out of football. After that the NFL will wash their hands of him. Why not have him get a "relapse plan" six months ago.

Because the NFL main office is about PR and literally nothing else. The Steelers are a consistently competitive high profile team. Bryant, when he was last on the field, was a guy that the league and the TV networks were hyping as the next "guy". You know, "Next on NBC - watch Big Ben and Bryant take on Dalton and Green in our Sunday game of the week..."

Then Bryant got suspended and missed/failed a BUNCH of tests. To keep selling their product to all the non-Steeler, non-pot doesn't matter folks out there -- they have to appear that they are doing two things:
1. Forcing Bryant to face serious consequences and demonstrate remorse for his actions. Folks love a second chance, but only after people pay a price and say they are super-duper sorry.
2. Then the league has to demonstrate that they are "helping" Bryant to succeed both on and off the field. So, Bryant claimed it was mental health related that he was smoking dope in the first place. Therefore, if the league forces a "relapse prevention plan" then they can be held blameless if something negative happens in the future. That basically covers their ass ranging from Bryant becoming a star, to being banned for life, to taking his own life. No matter what happens, the NFL offices can either take credit for it or shift blame.

Like everything else with the NFL and most things in life - follow the money to your answers. The league doesn't have it out specifically for the Steelers or any one player -- it just is willing to screw anyone and everyone over in its efforts to keep the average football fan paying.

BurghBoy412
04-15-2017, 10:49 PM
That actually makes no sense to me. If it's such a waste of his time, why bother coming up with this "relapse plan". Why not just reinstate him or throw him out of the league?
Waste of time = not a pressing matter of business

At this point Bryant is like a banished citizen begging to be let back in the Great Walled City. He's a fool at the mercy of the king. Kings don't hurry for anyone especially ill behaved peasants.

Butch
04-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Because the NFL main office is about PR and literally nothing else. The Steelers are a consistently competitive high profile team. Bryant, when he was last on the field, was a guy that the league and the TV networks were hyping as the next "guy". You know, "Next on NBC - watch Big Ben and Bryant take on Dalton and Green in our Sunday game of the week..."

Then Bryant got suspended and missed/failed a BUNCH of tests. To keep selling their product to all the non-Steeler, non-pot doesn't matter folks out there -- they have to appear that they are doing two things:
1. Forcing Bryant to face serious consequences and demonstrate remorse for his actions. Folks love a second chance, but only after people pay a price and say they are super-duper sorry.
2. Then the league has to demonstrate that they are "helping" Bryant to succeed both on and off the field. So, Bryant claimed it was mental health related that he was smoking dope in the first place. Therefore, if the league forces a "relapse prevention plan" then they can be held blameless if something negative happens in the future. That basically covers their ass ranging from Bryant becoming a star, to being banned for life, to taking his own life. No matter what happens, the NFL offices can either take credit for it or shift blame.

Like everything else with the NFL and most things in life - follow the money to your answers. The league doesn't have it out specifically for the Steelers or any one player -- it just is willing to screw anyone and everyone over in its efforts to keep the average football fan paying.

Then why do they wait until there are only 2 weeks before the draft to make this announcement? They could have implemented this a couple weeks back and let the dust settle well before the draft, but rather than do that they wait until the midnight hour and come up with something out of left field. Again my point is timing and that alone is the reason I call this a complete B.S. situation and one that reeks of trying to hamstring the Steelers in the upcoming draft.

SteelMayhem72
04-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Ok imho this is the league way overstepping their bounds and i would go to the players union. Its pretty cut and dried...dont miss or fail any tests...why in the fuck does the league care about a relapse prevention...this is a blatant finger to the chest from goodell and you see now why we were the only team that voted against the cba

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SteelMayhem72
04-15-2017, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah thats right...cant go to the players union because this was part of thé cba..roger gotohell has unlimited power

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 11:09 PM
I'm not missing the point I'm just not too worried in April. Training camp is no time soon.

Butch
04-15-2017, 11:14 PM
I'm not missing the point I'm just not too worried in April. Training camp is no time soon.

Yeah but I am not talking about training camp rather the draft which is 2 weeks away and we may end up getting a WR when we really need someone on Defense. The league is hamstringing us on the timing.

DesertSteel
04-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Yeah but I am not talking about training camp rather the draft which is 2 weeks away and we may end up getting a WR when we really need someone on Defense. The league is hamstringing us on the timing.I don't think it affects their draft one iota. They already know they can't depend on a kid who is one strike away from being banned. They're gonna draft a wideout who can stretch the field, either way.

steelcityboyz
04-16-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm not worried about the draft at all, Colbert and co know what their doing. I think the steelers have moved on from Bryant with what they're trying to do... If he comes back and stays clean they hit the lottery, if not they just move on with who they have.

fansince'76
04-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Then why do they wait until there are only 2 weeks before the draft to make this announcement? They could have implemented this a couple weeks back and let the dust settle well before the draft, but rather than do that they wait until the midnight hour and come up with something out of left field. Again my point is timing and that alone is the reason I call this a complete B.S. situation and one that reeks of trying to hamstring the Steelers in the upcoming draft.

Exactly. I've never been one for conspiracy theories, but I'm wondering what more does Goodell have to do to prove that he isn't impartial?

Mojouw
04-16-2017, 11:59 AM

This is not an attempt to defend the NFL here. Goodell is a clown and the worst commisar in pro sports. But the league year started on March 9. So no need to do anything before then. Then it was the owners meetings that took up league office time. This period is the first "down time" in their schedule that they were ever going to deal with this - http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2017-important-nfl-dates/

Is it the best way to handle things? Absolutely not. Why can't they inform the player of these things prior to some BS meeting - because the NFLPA gave away almost everything that wasn't nailed down in the last CBA and the league can just make shit up as it goes.

Like others have said, if the Steelers were drafting based on the Bryant situation, then they are really really bad at planning. Either way, why is anyone surprised that when the NFL can screw something up that they do? It is what they do in every situation lately. Look at what went down with Blandino. They sold the new review policy to the owners only to have the guy that was going to make it work bolt for TV.

steelreserve
04-16-2017, 01:42 PM
This whole line about Goodell being "out" to get the Steelers is a bad take. Do you really think he's out to get one of his largest cash cow teams? Roger is about the $$ money plain and simple. I don't think it's about him go after the Steelers. I think it's more about Bryant being a waste of his time. The guy acted a fool (Bryant). Fools don't eat!!! So quit boo-hooing. Y'all sound like a bunch of cry babies!

I think Goodell is an asshole, or incompetent. Probably both. That's not what you want in a commissioner.

teegre
04-16-2017, 02:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUUzA56zG2U&app=desktop

Craic
04-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Nope.

The person who does nothing but isolate himself for a year physically in order to stay clean and get reinstated while not doing anything else is absolutely nothing like the person who goes to counseling, spends time in 12-step, sets up his own accountability structure, and reduces his circle of friends to those who choose a clean life like him. You assume (from what I read in your statement) the purpose of the suspension is to punish for a violation. IMO, you assume wrong as the policy appendix quoted below (step 4 specifically) looks as though the purpose is to prevent further substance use. In other words, the substance abuse policy is meant not to be punitive for past violations, but to restore a player to a substance-free life. You absolutely cannot treat two people the exact same way in that case.

On the other hand, my problem is that Goodel (as far as I know) has absolutely no background in substance abuse prevention, counseling, or restoration. So unless he's sitting in a room with several professionals or consulting them after the meeting, he's taking a role upon himself in which he is wholly ill-equipped to act.

Dwinsgames
04-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Nope.

The person who does nothing but isolate himself for a year physically in order to stay clean and get reinstated while not doing anything else is absolutely nothing like the person who goes to counseling, spends time in 12-step, sets up his own accountability structure, and reduces his circle of friends to those who choose a clean life like him. You assume (from what I read in your statement) the purpose of the suspension is to punish for a violation. IMO, you assume wrong as the policy appendix quoted below (step 4 specifically) looks as though the purpose is to prevent further substance use. In other words, the substance abuse policy is meant not to be punitive for past violations, but to restore a player to a substance-free life. You absolutely cannot treat two people the exact same way in that case.

On the other hand, my problem is that Goodel (as far as I know) has absolutely no background in substance abuse prevention, counseling, or restoration. So unless he's sitting in a room with several professionals or consulting them after the meeting, he's taking a role upon himself in which he is wholly ill-equipped to act.

the last statement seems to be the case ...

but I still contend that all expectations of the league need to be made clear at the time of suspension as the path back to the league , I contend it should be done in writing and with copies to remain in league office , with Player , Agent and a 4th with the team in which he was/is a member so when it comes time to reapply everyone is on the exact same page as to what the expectations where and what transpired on behalf of the player in order to get his affairs in order and back within league graces and if he falls short letters should go out outlining where he failed to meet the agreement as everyone mentioned has a stake in that players future

I do not believe that is an unrealistic expectation for a multi billion dollar league to have in place as a standard

Mojouw
04-16-2017, 06:42 PM
the last statement seems to be the case ...

but I still contend that all expectations of the league need to be made clear at the time of suspension as the path back to the league , I contend it should be done in writing and with copies to remain in league office , with Player , Agent and a 4th with the team in which he was/is a member so when it comes time to reapply everyone is on the exact same page as to what the expectations where and what transpired on behalf of the player in order to get his affairs in order and back within league graces and if he falls short letters should go out outlining where he failed to meet the agreement as everyone mentioned has a stake in that players future

I do not believe that is an unrealistic expectation for a multi billion dollar league to have in place as a standard

That's because you care about this stuff - or at least do when it applies to a good player on your favorite team. But the NFL couldn't care less. The teams kinda sorta care - but the owners voted for profits and "player conduct policy" over transparency last CBA, and the NFLPA is a bunch of morons who didn't realize what the hell they actually voted for.

Goodell works for the owners. No one else. He and the NFL rammed a CBA through that is good for the owners and gives the league massive discretionary powers to enforce player conduct issues. The whole "protect the shield thing". No one actually thought through how that would work - so in each case the NFL whips something out of its ass that typically has NO goal towards anything besides standing up in court so that "Concussions 2.0" can never happen.

With this BS plan from Bryant, that will only be looked at by lawyers from the NFL, they can go through any possible future negative outcomes and be legally protected. In fact, the courts will likely find that they attempted to act proactively in the interests of their employee/player.

steelreserve
04-16-2017, 11:47 PM
One really great question that has still come up with anything like a good explanation for is - this could've been done at any time in the past couple of months, so instead why does the moron in the commissioner's office waits all the way until now to give an answer, and that answer is STILL not yes, not no, just "well, maybe."

Keeping some very important, very real and timely decisions up in the air for no good reason at all. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Born2Steel
04-17-2017, 08:35 AM
One really great question that has still come up with anything like a good explanation for is - this could've been done at any time in the past couple of months, so instead why does the moron in the commissioner's office waits all the way until now to give an answer, and that answer is STILL not yes, not no, just "well, maybe."

Keeping some very important, very real and timely decisions up in the air for no good reason at all. Seriously, fuck that guy.

I can agree completely with this sentiment. I still don't believe it's any personal vendetta against Bryant or the Steelers, just not buying that one. AND I feel like it's all Bryant's fault this is even happening in the first place. However, if there were going to be separate, personalized, player specific, requirements for Bryant's reinstatement, those requirements could have been laid out sooner than April. It doesn't effect the Commissioner's office directly so the Commish waited until the last hour to decide what that requirement would be for Bryant. That part stinks.

DesertSteel
04-17-2017, 10:16 AM
With all this speculation about what went down, how come we haven't heard from Bryant?

86WARD
04-17-2017, 02:14 PM
With all this speculation about what went down, how come we haven't heard from Bryant?

He's smart and keeping his mouth shut.

steelerdude15
04-17-2017, 02:27 PM
If I'm Marty, I'm doing everything I can to create a plan to present to the NFL so I can play again.

BurghBoy412
04-17-2017, 03:48 PM
If I'm Marty, I'm doing everything I can to create a plan to present to the NFL so I can play again.He's probably just getting his "papers" together.:smoker::smokin:

steelreserve
04-17-2017, 04:33 PM
I can agree completely with this sentiment. I still don't believe it's any personal vendetta against Bryant or the Steelers, just not buying that one. AND I feel like it's all Bryant's fault this is even happening in the first place. However, if there were going to be separate, personalized, player specific, requirements for Bryant's reinstatement, those requirements could have been laid out sooner than April. It doesn't effect the Commissioner's office directly so the Commish waited until the last hour to decide what that requirement would be for Bryant. That part stinks.

I'm not really a fan of the whole "Goodell Steelers vendetta" theory; it's a bit of a stretch. There may be individual players on his shit list who he goes out of his way to be a hard-ass on (see: Harrison, James). Maybe Bryant is one of them.

More importantly, though - decisions like this are the result of arrogance and incompetence in equal measures, which is just as bad of a problem. Goodell shown repeatedly that when it comes to player conduct and the PR-for-the-league's-image battle, he is in way over his head and he does a lot of button-mashing. With pretty much every significant PR issue going back to Ray Rice and ESPN Concussion Sunday, he comes up with some random one-off hipshooting response that inevitably makes an even bigger PR mess than if he'd done nothing at all. For some reason, it looks like he decided to start freelancing again, this time on the weed front with Bryant as the test case. Frustrating to take an extra hit because of that stupidity.

Yes, it is primarily Bryant's fault, but I give no thanks to the commissioner for making it even worse. I mean, the timing - come on, really?

He's probably just getting his "papers" together.:smoker::smokin:

4/20 is Thursday and apparently it's National Weed Week in the media. If he makes it through that, maybe he can hold it together until the day after the Super Bowl, which is all I'm really expecting in the best case anyway.

Craic
04-17-2017, 04:37 PM
tl;dr a look at all the office does in March and April and all the responsibilities placed on others for getting material into the office on time makes the date of the decision much less suspect. ALSO--Goodell doesn't just make arbitrary decisions such as relapse prevention plans. He is advised by four different reviewing entities before making such decisions.

I quoted this originally because I read it wrong and thought you were saying it was a vendetta. That clarified (that it isn't), I've been wondering why it would take this long as well. So, I went and looked at what might have been filling his schedule.

First, a timeline.

Late January: Bryant must apply for reinstatement.

January-March: Bryant is responsible for getting all documents, including legal docs, any arrests, and anything else asked for by the league concerning behavior and drug abuse within sixty days.

January-March: Within 45 days of receipt of the application, the Player will be interviewed by the Medical Director and the Medical Adviser, after which a recommendation will be made to the Commissioner with regard to the Player’s request for reinstatement (Appendix B1 of the NFL drug policy).

Let's stop here. Do we know if all documents were submitted in a timely manner by Bryant? Was something missing on accident that he had to later go back and retrieve, then send to Goodell? Do we know if the Medical Director and Medical Adviser documents were submitted in a timely fashion?

Jan-March: The NFLPA and Commissioner's staff both review players substance abuse history and documents, including counseling sessions, 12 step, progess reports, and all diagnostic findings And Treatment Recommendations.

So, that takes us to the end of March. Let us assume all the documents came in two weeks before the 60 days (a reasonable assumption as there are several steps and at least five different parties submitting materials—the player, the Medical Director, the Medical Adviser, the NFLPA, and the Commissioner's staff.) In that scenario, he has had all documents for the last month. What has happened in that last month.

March 9

1. Free agency begins
2. 2017 Salary cap begins
3. All transactions submitted to league goes out to clubs.

March 11

1. NFL Regional combines begin.

March 1-26

1. Preparation of possible rule changes for annual league meetings. That would include reviews, fielding other changes, etc.
2. Preparation of reports for annual meeting.
3. Finalizing investigation of possible move of Oakland to Las Vegas and fielding questions from owners who must vote on the issue.
4. numerous other preparations for the annual board of directors meeting (which the owners meeting is, in many ways).

March 26-29

1. Annual League meeting.

April 3

1. Teams with new coaches can start Offseason program. Decisions to allow these programs must be made by NFL prior to April 3.

On Going Concerns

1. Salary cap consideration through free agent signings
2. NFL draft preparations
3. Any ongoing behind-the-scenes negotiations concerning contracts for advertising, NFL rights for broadcasting, etc.
4. Other things we may not even know about.

Now, you may say, "But wait, the Commissioner isn't involved personally in everything." True, to a point. However, remember that his people are and at least some of them will sit on the review board before it goes to him. Second, he's going to be involved in most of it. Furthermore, virtually everything listed here involves followup.

After looking at this schedule and all the things the commissioner has coming across his desk, I have to say the time it took to make this decision is within the appropriate range, and that is IF everything came to his desk on time. If it didn't, then he's had to wait even longer to get it and make a decision in an even shorter time.

One last thing to note . . . It seems I was wrong. The Medical Adviser and Medical Director, along with the NFLPA and Commissioner's staff make recommendations to the commissioner. The medical people are fully qualified to make referrals concerning drug dependence. Furthermore, my guess is once the referrals come in, there are phone calls to be made back and forth to develop a consensus. Thus, my guess would be that a "how to keep sober" program was the consensus of the four different reviewing entities.

DesertSteel
04-17-2017, 06:11 PM
^^^

No, no, no... This all has to be because Goodell hates the Steelers, hates the Rooneys and wants to punish James Harrison!!!

BurghBoy412
04-17-2017, 08:51 PM
^^^

No, no, no... This all has to be because Goodell hates the Steelers, hates the Rooneys and wants to punish James Harrison!!!
It's the only logical answer! Hahaha

pepsyman1
04-19-2017, 03:11 PM
And I'm still gonna chime in with this because no one at all asked....lol Someone call Anquan Boldin please.

DesertSteel
04-19-2017, 06:37 PM
And I'm still gonna chime in with this because no one at all asked....lol Someone call Anquan Boldin please.
They will....... probably the Patriots :-/