PDA

View Full Version : The "Killer" in Pittsburgh's B's are beginning to have quite the distracting element.

StillCurtains
04-02-2017, 08:42 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers are an organization that have had a longstanding reputation of not having distractions. This is not something that they can now stake a claim on with the events of the past 3 seasons.

The true issue in this would be that it is taking place with our top core players. In my opinion, it started to take some affect in 2004 with the injury to Tommy Maddox in which Faneca stated to the media that it's not exciting to have some "Rookie" (Ben) to take over at quarterback.

I know he might not have meant it the way it came out, but it was the first time I've seen the Steelers locker room have to keep under wraps about something that was said to the media that was a potential distraction amongst the locker room.

Of course we've had Ben with his 2005 motorcycle accident as well as his rape allegations and ultimate suspension in 2010. We all chalked that up to a young and immature Ben that has had success too early and appears to have steered clear of such activity.

Holmes had his suspension in 2008 for smoking MJ, was given another chance and was let go after his bar incident after the 2009 offseason. Willie Parker had his remarks about "getting away from Steeler football" in 2008 which Tomlin later chastized him for. Let's not forget Tomlin's 2012 Thanksgiving sideline incident.

We later have gotten back to Ben with supposed rift with Haley and his offense in 2012 and 2013.

Right now it seems that the distractions are at a regular occurance. In 2015, Bell misses first 3 games due to suspension for smoking MJ while Bryant is suspended the first 6. Last year, Bell is suspended the first 2 for missing the mandatory drug test while Bryant is out for the year for smoking MJ yet again.

Right now in this offseason we have more distractions hanging over our heads!
Ben: His consideration of retirement. After the AFCCG, I can't blame him too much with the terrible defensive gameplan and the poor play by our WR's despite missing starters. I can understand that and I love Ben but, Has he ever been one to shy away from drama?

AB: Huge contract!!! Well deserved when looking at production. However, his penchant for certain over the top celebrations that has cost the team field position he has yet to show remorse for. He stated this past year that the fines were "Nothing to a boss!" Do I need to mention the me first attitude with the Facebook live locker room embarrassment? Will he clean up his act? I hope so.

Bryant: Will he be reinstated? We can only hope so. I commend what he has done in the offseason and I hope he has finally gotten things right. However, this is what happens when you can't follow league policy. It leaves your future in limbo. This will also be a huge void for the Steelers to fill despite their offseason moves.

Bell: Franchise tag... Despite what some may believe I feel that Bell would have a long term contract right now if it were not for his substance abuse history. The Steelers need to know they can trust him. The franchise tag shows their want to trust in him as well as showing how they value him. Now we have his April fools joke of holding out! Was it really a joke? Even if it was, with all of the distractions that have happened as of late, most particularly AB's Facebook live post, I wouldn't say that was in good taste for Bell to tweet that. I'm sure the organization isn't going to appreciate answering questions on whether Bell was joking or not.

On the flipside to that though, if the Steelers were indeed aware of the injury to Bell's groin and mishandled it, then that also is quite disturbing. That would be a good reason for Bell and the Steelers to have a contract standoff.

With all that said... Pittsburgh's Killer B's are argueably the best combination of skill position players in the NFL. I'm just hoping that they can all put it together and just play football. They are our offensive core players to a championship. I'm just hoping that they can all start being "offensive" to NFL opposing teams and stop being "offensive" to themselves, the team and the organization.

fansince'76
04-03-2017, 03:06 AM
AB: ...his penchant for certain over the top celebrations that has cost the team field position he has yet to show remorse for.

Nor should he, considering how many times over the last year or two other receivers not named "Antonio Brown" have done the exact same things without penalties and fines. I wouldn't apologize if I were being unfairly targeted either.

The league's (see: Goodell's) half-assed and completely uneven and unfair punishments of "excessive" celebrations (and player misconduct in general) is an absolute joke. When it seems like the league office is using a roulette wheel to choose punishments for players or whether to even punish them at all, that is the real problem, not AB.

I also fail to see how Ben's passing mention of retirement is a "distraction" when pretty much nobody is taking it seriously.

Outside of Bryant (whose extended absence really has hurt the team), these "distractions" are much ado about nothing, IMO.

43Hitman
04-03-2017, 03:27 AM
There are 30 other teams that would probably rather have our "distractions".

Dwinsgames
04-03-2017, 11:32 AM
to the OP , while I agree with the fact we have far more distractions than we are used to , I also would have to say look this is 2017 ( and a few years leading up to it ) and the media is everywhere , everybody is a reporter it seems with social media , blogs , beat writers , talk radio and the nightly news along with sports talk shows being far more abundant and lets not forget podcasts ... these things dribble out and someone else picks up on it and then someone else and next thing you know its being talked about everywhere ... whereas 20-30 -40 years ago much of this never gets out of the building ..

so my question is have the players changed all that much or is it just how close the players are in so many facets of life and so much coverage of these players ?

Mojouw
04-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Watch, listen to, read about, seek out stuff on the internet, etc about any other NFL franchise to the level each of us does about the Steelers, and you will find the exact same or far far far worse.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers...." R-E-L-A-X".

Craic
04-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Ben: talking retirement is not a distraction when he was being honest... it's just another step in the career of an NFL player. If it were Brett Favre, that is a distraction.

Brown: I disagree with FS. He should apologize, but to the team. Regardless of whether the league is treating him fairly or not, he is acting in a way that is bringing the spotlight to him and getting penalty flags thrown that hurts the team in general. Nevertheless, with two years of outstanding production while playing under a contract many thought was unfair (I was not one of them), he has kept those types of distractions completely away from the team despite the press's attempts to cause them multiple times.

Bell: Last year I would have agreed with you. But Bell's last incident, it seems, wasn't because he was being a bonehead, but rather because he wasn't informed by the league in enough time to get to the testing site. Note that the punishment was reduced when he argued it, and not because he went in and asked, "Pretty please." Sentences for failing drug tests do not get reduced as they are mandated by the CBA. So, this was not a failed test.

As for the other players, you are looking at only part of the picture. Young players come in and do stupid stuff all the time. It constantly amazes me how our fans forget about a certain running back getting busted for transporting marijuana, or a certain linebacker getting into a pregame fight and getting booted from the game, or a QB's extra-curricular activities with the same sex occurring somewhere not in the public eye, or Bradshaw's theatrics, etc. etc. We also seem to forget that anymore, the league has restricted the team's hand concerning how they handle many of these distractions. Any drug-type distraction is a NFL-NFLPA issue, not a Pittsburgh Steelers issue now. Yet, we still shipped our number 1 receiver off for it as you mentioned.

So, no. It's not that there's so much more off-field distractions, its that we have this thing called the internet, twitter, 24-hour news cycles, etc. etc. that makes all those little distractions public knowledge.