PDA

View Full Version : Want To Know The Steelers’ First Round Pick? Travel With Tomlin And Colbert

Shoes
03-29-2017, 07:58 AM
You know I’m all about trying to conduct studies to give us some sort of hint of who the Pittsburgh Steelers could choose in the first round. We have a lot of stuff planned for April but to start, there’s one strong correlation for the team’s first pick.
Since 2010, Mike Tomlin and/or Kevin Colbert has attended the Pro Day of every first round pick they’ve taken.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/03/want-know-steelers-first-round-pick-travel-tomlin-colbert/

I would take Williams over Lawson and Watt over both of them. I think you get a lot more bang for your buck with Williams & Watt.

Born2Steel
03-29-2017, 08:23 AM
I like Watt also. I think Watt will be gone before we pick though. In that case, I like Lawson over Williams. To me, he just fits the Steelers better than the others.

Psycho Ward 86
03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
I think out of the guys listed who follow the trend I would want them in this order:

TE OJ Howard (Alabama)
OLB TJ Watt (Wisconsin)
TE David Njoku (Miami)
ILB Jarrad Davis (Florida)
OLB Carl Lawson (Auburn)
S Marcus Maye (Florida)
CBs Gaeron Conley (Ohio State) (Omitting Lattimore because that's a pipe dream)
S Jabrill Peppers (Michigan)
QB Mitch Trubisky (North Carolina)
CB Cordrea Tankersley (Clemson)
OLB Tim Williams (Alabama)
DE Taco Charlton (Michigan)
CB Quincy Wilson (Florida)
QB Deshaun Watson (Clemson)
CB Teez Tabor (Florida)

And out of the guys who don't follow the trend:

OLB Haason Reddick (Temple)
S Obi Melifonwu (UConn)
OLB Derek Rivers (Youngstown State)
CB Kevin King (Washington)
CB Adoree’ Jackson (USC)
OLB Jordan Willis (Kansas State)
OLB Charles Harris (Missouri)
OLB Tyus Bowser (Houston)
QB DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame)

Born2Steel
03-29-2017, 12:43 PM
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/23/mike-tomlin-on-hand-to-watch-lb-raekwon-mcmillan-at-ohio-state-pro-day/

RunNGun
03-29-2017, 12:57 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if Reddick made it past the top 10.

teegre
03-29-2017, 02:13 PM
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/23/mike-tomlin-on-hand-to-watch-lb-raekwon-mcmillan-at-ohio-state-pro-day/

Mike Tomlin on hand to watch Raekwon McMillan!!! ... and Malik Hooker... and Marshon Lattimore... and Gareon Conley...

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 08:03 AM
Mike Tomlin on hand to watch Raekwon McMillan!!! ... and Malik Hooker... and Marshon Lattimore... and Gareon Conley...

Maybe I under sold that one?

86WARD
03-30-2017, 10:08 AM
TE in the first round is a wasted pick imo. There's plenty of TE talent on this team...more so than CB or LB talent on the other side of the ball. Both Green and James have shown they can catch. They have a blocking TE. No need to throw a first round pick at a TE.

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 10:41 AM
TE in the first round is a wasted pick imo. There's plenty of TE talent on this team...more so than CB or LB talent on the other side of the ball. Both Green and James have shown they can catch. They have a blocking TE. No need to throw a first round pick at a TE.

Unless Howard or Njoku fall to 30. Then it is very much in the thought process.

Dwinsgames
03-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Unless Howard or Njoku fall to 30. Then it is very much in the thought process.

drafting Njoku would be drafting on projection not on talent , 11% drop rate is huge , couldnt lock down the starting job on his college team and people wanna consider him a lock to start in the NFL and throw a 1st round pick at him .... just makes no sense to me

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 12:20 PM
drafting Njoku would be drafting on projection not on talent , 11% drop rate is huge , couldnt lock down the starting job on his college team and people wanna consider him a lock to start in the NFL and throw a 1st round pick at him .... just makes no sense to me

I think those that want to 'throw stones' at taking Njoku in the 1st use the"11% drop rate" instead of saying he had a total 8 drops. He may be a 'potential' pick, but his potential is off the charts. His talent is 1st round. Problem is he's not enough of a need+BPA to get enough consideration for the Steelers in round 1, IMO. I still think that if he's there at 30 he will be part of the discussion in the warroom though.

Mojouw
03-30-2017, 01:00 PM
I think those that want to 'throw stones' at taking Njoku in the 1st use the"11% drop rate" instead of saying he had a total 8 drops. He may be a 'potential' pick, but his potential is off the charts. His talent is 1st round. Problem is he's not enough of a need+BPA to get enough consideration for the Steelers in round 1, IMO. I still think that if he's there at 30 he will be part of the discussion in the warroom though.

How can a TE who can't block, like AT ALL, be a 1st round pick? Super Nintendo or whatever his name is has to evaluated as a WR then. Do we need another WR? Do the Steelers need to take on in the 1st round?

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 01:10 PM
How can a TE who can't block, like AT ALL, be a 1st round pick? Super Nintendo or whatever his name is has to evaluated as a WR then. Do we need another WR? Do the Steelers need to take on in the 1st round?

Why do you say he cannot block at all?
From NFL.com
Bottom Line Ascending pass catching talent with elite athleticism and enough fight in his run blocking to believe that he can be lined up anywhere on the field at any time. Njoku should annihilate the combine with monster numbers in speed and explosion, but his play on the field shows he's more than a combine warrior. He is still growing into his body and has to add to his play strength, but his playmaking potential and elite traits should make him a first-round pick and a future Pro Bowler.

Rotoworld
Miami TE David Njoku models his game after Kellen Winslow Jr.
"He and I share the same speed," he said. "I might be able to jump a little higher, but he's a great athlete." Indeed, Njoku is a freak athlete who tested in the 93rd percentile at the NFL Combine. That athleticism shows on the field, as Njoku averaged almost 12 yards per catch last year. He wants you to know that he's more than a move-TE, though. "I was never afraid to block," Njoku said. "Being coached by [Miami special teams coordinator and tight ends Todd] Hartley, blocking is very important. They don't like just receiving tight ends because they don't believe in that, so they put down the hammer when it comes to blocking. It's very serious, so we took it as such." Mar 24 - 3:31

CBSSports
Njoku, who was the national high-jump champion (6'11") as a senior at Cedar Grove and also jumped in college, has freakish athleticism for the position that leaps off the screen, using his seam-busting speed and dynamic YAC skills to be a downfield playmaker. Njoku is a balanced blocker with potential to be above average in this area, but needs to develop his functional strength, technique and consistency. Although he is a better athlete than football player right now, Njoku is dripping with natural talent and has the elite athleticism to stress every level of the defense

Mojouw
03-30-2017, 01:29 PM
Why do you say he cannot block at all?

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2017profiles/David.Njoku.htm: "When he is on the line of scrimmage in a three point stance he looks like a frog sitting on a lily pad. His blocking boarders on the worst I have ever seen to… pitiful. His three point stance alone shows a lack of interest and defiance to coaches and his route running against man to man boarders on the worst to pitiful also. He does good against zone coverage’s but truthfully at this point of his career I don’t see him developing into a tight end, maybe a slot receiver and third down red zone receiver but a true tight end…not going to happen."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/24/david-njoku-miami-nfl-draft-scouting-report: "He tried hard as a blocker, which is the nice way of saying that he’s not a very good blocker. Njoku is more of an in-the-way presence than anyone Miami could trust to make real headway. Not that tight ends should be left alone with edge rushers that much anyway, but the Hurricanes usually had to make sure they had help for Njoku in those situations. He could create an initial stalemate as a run blocker, but that was about all—any counter move or extra push from the man he was blocking made things difficult for Njoku."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-david-njoku-te-miami-fl/: "Struggles when tasked with sealing 8/9-tech’s to the outside on front side of gap-scheme runs; often gets beat to the inside forcing RB to bounce the run to the outside. Can get too tall when moving laterally blocking inline, allows defenders to get under his pads and control the movement."

I don't know which set of reports is more accurate, but I get a sense that Roku box is just one of those athletic specimens that scouts fall in love with. He is green as grass, raw as hamburger, and has no idea how to actually block someone. When did that become a 1st round pick? Look, I'm certain that if the Steelers were to draft him he would be a dynamic weapon in Haley's system and I would likely love him as a player. But in the strict sense of looking at him versus other potential first round selections for the Steelers, I can't say I would root for them to draft Ninjagaiden over TJ Watt.

Shoes
03-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Draft Kittle, problem solved! :eyebrows:

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 02:25 PM
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2017profiles/David.Njoku.htm: "When he is on the line of scrimmage in a three point stance he looks like a frog sitting on a lily pad. His blocking boarders on the worst I have ever seen to… pitiful. His three point stance alone shows a lack of interest and defiance to coaches and his route running against man to man boarders on the worst to pitiful also. He does good against zone coverage’s but truthfully at this point of his career I don’t see him developing into a tight end, maybe a slot receiver and third down red zone receiver but a true tight end…not going to happen."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/24/david-njoku-miami-nfl-draft-scouting-report: "He tried hard as a blocker, which is the nice way of saying that he’s not a very good blocker. Njoku is more of an in-the-way presence than anyone Miami could trust to make real headway. Not that tight ends should be left alone with edge rushers that much anyway, but the Hurricanes usually had to make sure they had help for Njoku in those situations. He could create an initial stalemate as a run blocker, but that was about all—any counter move or extra push from the man he was blocking made things difficult for Njoku."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-david-njoku-te-miami-fl/: "Struggles when tasked with sealing 8/9-tech’s to the outside on front side of gap-scheme runs; often gets beat to the inside forcing RB to bounce the run to the outside. Can get too tall when moving laterally blocking inline, allows defenders to get under his pads and control the movement."

I don't know which set of reports is more accurate, but I get a sense that Roku box is just one of those athletic specimens that scouts fall in love with. He is green as grass, raw as hamburger, and has no idea how to actually block someone. When did that become a 1st round pick? Look, I'm certain that if the Steelers were to draft him he would be a dynamic weapon in Haley's system and I would likely love him as a player. But in the strict sense of looking at him versus other potential first round selections for the Steelers, I can't say I would root for them to draft Ninjagaiden over TJ Watt.

I completely agree with you, as in I would much rather draft another position at 30. But if Howard and Njoku are still on the board at 30, I'm certain they will be in the warroom conversation. If BOTH are there, maybe only Howard, but you get the point.

86WARD
03-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Boarders? Is that grammatically correct?

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 02:41 PM

I saw that also but I make too many errors myself to point it out.

Mojouw
03-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Yeah, Huddle Report is not always the best site. I like the write-ups because they are different takes then many others I come across. But the guy who writes them is far from consistently correct.

For some context here is what he says about the two most divisive recent Steelers draft picks:

He like Landry Jones as a developmental prospect - http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2013profiles/Landry.Jones.htm

And he hated Jarvis Jones as a pass rusher - http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2013profiles/Jarvis.Jones.htm

teegre
03-30-2017, 04:20 PM

Homonyms are funny.

Oar sew I've herd.

Dwinsgames
03-30-2017, 06:06 PM

fine 8 drops .... but when 8 drops equal 11% of your chances at catch-able balls it shows a few things

you didn't get a lot of chances because other guys where on the field ahead of you or in place of you because you failed to beat them out for the job and you consequently didn't get a ton of action your way ..

not trying to be condescending at all lets be clear on that first .

I am just a firm believer in taking proven talent in the first couple rounds minimizing the risk of getting players with unrealized " potential" and it staying unrealized because they are more of a gym rat / workout warrior than they are a football player .

I have no issue taking physical specimens that may one day be a special player in the later rounds ( after round 4 ) because rounds 1-4 is where you need to pull the vast majority of your roster from because most guys who are drafted after that on a percentage basis do not stick on rosters long or at all .. draft picks are commodities like gold you just do not throw them around on what might one day be .

you cant fall in love with a player based on size and workout numbers if your going to fall in love it has to be because of the tape .

remember those combine workout warriors played on football fields and if those crazy numbers they put up in shorts do not translate to that tape then those numbers are useless and should then have no bearing on your player grade or envisioned potential ...

if you have not figured out by age 22-23 how to utilize your athletic ability while in pads I highly doubt you will realize it by age 26 and your first contract has expired ( if you last that long )

hope that explains my position when evaluating a player

Born2Steel
03-30-2017, 06:43 PM
fine 8 drops .... but when 8 drops equal 11% of your chances at catch-able balls it shows a few things

you didn't get a lot of chances because other guys where on the field ahead of you or in place of you because you failed to beat them out for the job and you consequently didn't get a ton of action your way ..

not trying to be condescending at all lets be clear on that first .

I am just a firm believer in taking proven talent in the first couple rounds minimizing the risk of getting players with unrealized " potential" and it staying unrealized because they are more of a gym rat / workout warrior than they are a football player .

I have no issue taking physical specimens that may one day be a special player in the later rounds ( after round 4 ) because rounds 1-4 is where you need to pull the vast majority of your roster from because most guys who are drafted after that on a percentage basis do not stick on rosters long or at all .. draft picks are commodities like gold you just do not throw them around on what might one day be .

you cant fall in love with a player based on size and workout numbers if your going to fall in love it has to be because of the tape .

remember those combine workout warriors played on football fields and if those crazy numbers they put up in shorts do not translate to that tape then those numbers are useless and should then have no bearing on your player grade or envisioned potential ...

if you have not figured out by age 22-23 how to utilize your athletic ability while in pads I highly doubt you will realize it by age 26 and your first contract has expired ( if you last that long )

hope that explains my position when evaluating a player

Right. So what does it show if a guy drops 8 balls out of 74 targets? You are asserting here that Njoku is a gym rat/ workout warrior only? Or did this move from him specifically, to draft prospects in general? If you don't like the guy that's fine with me. I think, if there at 30, Njoku will be part of the conversation in the warroom.

Dwinsgames
03-30-2017, 07:46 PM
Right. So what does it show if a guy drops 8 balls out of 74 targets? You are asserting here that Njoku is a gym rat/ workout warrior only? Or did this move from him specifically, to draft prospects in general? If you don't like the guy that's fine with me. I think, if there at 30, Njoku will be part of the conversation in the warroom.

that pertains to any prospect not just Njoku ( who is raw ) and does not get everything out of his physical ability and his hands are suspect , not horrible but not trustworthy either

teegre
03-30-2017, 10:03 PM
I'm a production guy, as well.

That said, Njoku reminds me of Artie Burns: a track star learning to play football... who got better each game.

Burns got better incredibly fast. His learning curve was like a 45 degree angle. Insane. Njoku is only like a 10 degree angle, but he did indeed get better with each game that he played.

One other thing to consider: they projected how Antonio Gates might develop, even though he wasn't a football player. Njoku could be the same. Of course, Gates was UNDRAFTED... whereas the "risk/reward factor" of Njoku is significantly higher.

Not sure if he would actually be the pick at 30, but I agree 100% with B2S that he would indeed be discussed.

43Hitman
03-31-2017, 05:08 PM
I'm with Shoes. Let's just take Kittle, and from what I've gleened from y'all is that he'll be there in round 3. Then we can still go Edge/Cb in the first two rounds. Maybe package both of our threes to move into the back portion of the second and snag him?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RunNGun
03-31-2017, 05:37 PM
Sheehan, IMO, would make for the best Steelers TE of this draft. He's 6'7 and 270 lbs, but he runs very fluid. I believe he ran a 4.7, but I think with his frame he could get into the low 4.6 range. Great effort in the blocking game, but definitely room for improvement. He's a physical specimen who has room to grow as a player. Definitely want him in the second round over any other TE.

86WARD
04-02-2017, 04:35 PM
A TE before round 4 would be a big gaffe. It's not an area of need compared to the others.

Born2Steel
04-02-2017, 04:44 PM
A TE before round 4 would be a big gaffe. It's not an area of need compared to the others.

I completely agree with you on the need part. However, I see that 1st round pick as a chance to get the best football player available. What position matters very little to me. If I start making a list of best players, iMO of course, maybe just top 50 or so. As each gets selected, i mark them off my list. When pick 30 gets here, out of the remaining on the list, BPA of a need position should be my pick. But if the overall BPA is a game changer at a position of less need, that trumps position of need only. I do not see that scenario happening with a TE in this draft though. But to blanket put position of need over BPA is a bad move.

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2017, 05:37 PM
i dont understand the comfort level with people at tight end. do people actually feel confident in Green's ability to stay on the field? He hasnt been able to do that virtually his whole career.

Next man up: Jesse James. He's young, 22, I like that. That means his upside is still there and he could keep getting better. But 8.4 YPC? Really? Look at his scouting report, and look at the way he has played in his career so far. Its the exact same player. He has been beyond horrid at securing the ball then immediately moving down field. Heath Miller's YAC when he was about done was good compared what Jesse is showing. Albeit, he is showing some glimpses of YAC on occasion, but id rather not bank on that thanks.

Then that leaves us with David Johnson, a pure blocking tight end, and Xavier Grimble...dont make me laugh

What happened to BPA people? This draft is supposed to be rich at talent at OLB, CB, S, and TE. This is supposed to be a draft for the ages for the tight end position actually. Look at all the tight ends we've looked at, a lot of them are early round prospects.

This last one is pointed at no one directly, but anyone who has a strong desire for a contingency plan at WR but doesnt care for one at tight end is probably a huge hypocrite. A common rhetoric I have seen posed over the offseason is that somehow, Coates is already in danger of being cut due to injury and Rogers is young and not yet trustworthy. Seriously? That doesnt apply to Green and James? "But Coates also has problems with drops" well if offseason reports are any indication, having hands that still look like Freddy Krueger and offseason groin surgery would indicate he isnt healthy

If you're on board for a WR, you ought to be on board for a tight end. Period.

Mojouw
04-02-2017, 05:56 PM
But very few of the highly rated TEs can actually do all of the tasks that are fundamental to being a successful NFL TE.

Outside of Howard and Kittle, they are all ranging somewhere between terrible and allergic to blocking. Many run suspect routes. Many, headlined by Shaheen and Kittle have no tape proving they can be downfield threats in the NFL.

But because of workout #'s and a continued league-wide obsession with the TE position, these guys are going to cost you a one to two round premium to find out what they can do in the NFL.

Meanwhile at WR, I can get Tawan Taylor or the kid out of WVU in the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds.

I acknowledge that the TE position is shaky at best, but I kinda feel this is a situation where to add to the group, you are going to have to overpay. That being said, you gotta figure the Steelers draft someone at the position.

Born2Steel
04-02-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm actually more confident in our current WR corps than our current TE corps. But draft-wise, there's much better value with the WRs. If we have a solid enough WR corps, we only need a blocking TE. I agree it would be nice to have the next 'Gronk' style TE threat, but lining up with 3 good to great WRs and Bell, I don't feel I need that TE.